Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    • 1,535Posts
    • 11,570Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's not a lot, but it's enough
    • 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    It's not a lot, but it's enough 15th Mar 16 at 9:12 AM
    Good day to you all.

Can I start by saying I feel a bit embarrassed about starting this diary. Not because of my debt, but because in comparison to other peoples situation I seem to be in a better position to clear it. However Iíve been considering starting a diary like this for a while as I feel itís really been getting me down, like thereís a huge black cloud following me everywhere I go. I feel I think about money Ė or more specifically my debt - all day, every day, and hopefully having a place to come and post of my attempts to reduce it will help keep my chin up and motivate me.

A bit about me. Iím 25 and I live with my mum for now and I have a steady and comfortable paying job. I was in a relationship for 8 years and we had a joint savings account with a view to buy a place. When that relationship ended, I went off the rails. I blew my half of the savings while at the same time took out a credit card telling myself Iíll use it to increase my credit score by only using it to buy petrol and paying back at the end of every month. That didnít go to plan. I know have 2 credit cards (just recently paid off my third); Tesco Credit Card - £2,614.19 and Barclaycard - £693.88. Both of which are 0% interest for now.

The thing is, I know that my debt is manageable. Iím not spiralling out of control with interest. I donít have a mortgage. I donít have any kids. My expenditure is relatively low. I can and I will do this!

Although this is a Debt Free Diary, I have a view for this to become a Saving Diary once Iíve cleared these cards. I want to feel the way I felt 3 years ago with no debt and thus no worries. To be happy again.

My plan to clear this debt was originally to still try and maintain an element of my lifestyle that got me into this mess while being sensible. At the end of each month, any remaining money in my account would be transferred to my credit cards, this is already on top of my direct debits to meet the minimum repayments. However I found that this technique gave me too long a leash and I wasnít being tight enough. This month I actually have a stag do in Amsterdam (paid for by said credit cards) and with no savings, I had to use money from this months wages for spending money, leaving me skint for the remainder of the month, but goes to show that I can stow away a large chunk at the start of the month and force me to make the sacrifices. So thatís the plan, so put away a sizeable amount at the start of each month, the day I get paid.

Thank you for reading and appreciate the support.

Peace and Love!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (5/15)
Page 28
    • curlytop12
    • By curlytop12 15th Apr 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,075 Posts
    • 1,158 Thanks
    curlytop12
    have a fab weekend, hope the date goes well, and that they are money-savvy too
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 15th Apr 17, 4:38 PM
    • 2,835 Posts
    • 11,867 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    Hope the date goes well
    £960/3000 OH BC(68% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £960/31010.23 (96.90% paid)
    Mortgage - £163,450.00 (2017 O/P £1213.91) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £14789.69/14,539.71Make £10 Apr £194.58 Make £10 May £159.75 Make £10 June £245.11
    • louby40
    • By louby40 16th Apr 17, 11:23 AM
    • 904 Posts
    • 2,470 Thanks
    louby40
    How did your date go?
    ParentsPaid DF July 17 Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572 Debt free by Xmas(july) 17 #32 £3442/£3442 PAID IN FULL
    Car loan £3860. Mortgage £97,373
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th Apr 17, 11:25 AM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 27,230 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Yes, I want to hear all about your date as well. Hope you had a good time.
    NST June#24 NSD 8/15 RYSAW17 #1 £412.74 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 18th Apr 17, 9:10 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,570 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all!!

Thanks all for asking about the weekend.

Saturday, after work, I picked up my date and we went to a local Italian - her favourite. It went well, really well actually. We got caught up talking to much that we didn't even finish our meals. It's a bit of a strange one though because she leaves soon to do some travelling around Spain until September, so I'm conscious not to get too attached. We'll see how things go.

Sunday I had my best friends wedding. What a day it was, such fun. My speech went well and I think I done my duties. God, I do love a wedding.

Yesterday was spent feeling a bit sorry for myself and nursing a sore head. All good now though.

With all that went on over the last 3 days, I didn't manage any NSD's however I did manage to keep things in control budget wise. Thanks to the £300 I won the weekend previous I suppose.

Anyway, must get back to work!
    NSD (5/15)
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 18th Apr 17, 3:28 PM
    • 1,562 Posts
    • 7,467 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    You have been busy. The date sounds very promising, and there's nothing wrong with taking things slowly or even that she has plans to go travelling - you might miss each other or you might not, and either way it will tell you something.
    The furniture planning sounds fun. Did you get the bed with the storage? You might easily find that plus the ottoman are useful long term - I use blanket boxes in the spare rooms for extra bedding, pillows and blankets. They have all come from charity shops - one was 100 miles away and DH moaned no end about bringing it home - sanded, treated for woodworm, fabric removed and then wood stained to match the beds and topped with a home-made removable cushion seat. I'm on the look-out for at least one more.
    • louby40
    • By louby40 18th Apr 17, 3:31 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 2,470 Thanks
    louby40
    Glad your date went well! I haven't got many NSD this month either so far, but things should settle down a bit now during the second half of the month.
    ParentsPaid DF July 17 Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572 Debt free by Xmas(july) 17 #32 £3442/£3442 PAID IN FULL
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 19th Apr 17, 8:41 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,570 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Joey - that's a very good point. She noted yesterday that 5 months is a long time and things may change, which I agree with. Who knows what the lay of the land will be by the time she is back.

Talks began of moving the move-in date forward to 16th May, happy days. I've emailed my solicitors and mortgage broker to see if that's do-able. Don't foresee any issues.

Decided against the gym this morning. Still needing to catch up on sleep from the weekend. I've got football tonight which will count as my exercise.

Have a lovely day
    NSD (5/15)
    • jvr
    • By jvr 19th Apr 17, 9:02 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 993 Thanks
    jvr
    Just catching up.... glad the date went well difficult with her leaving but I'm sure you will just see how you both feel as time goes on.

As a Leeds girl... I'm still trying to work out why you would choose them to support haha

Exciting about the furniture and the flat, we got two lovely sofas with the house when we bought it.... but then we got a Rottweiler puppy and there wasn't much left of them!!
    Credit Cards: £6646.68
    Christmas Savings:0
    General Savings £82
    Car Savings (MOT &Insurance) 0
    Debt Free date: July 2019
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 19th Apr 17, 9:08 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,570 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    JRV - We'll see how things pan out. if it's meant to be, it's meant to be.

The reason I'm a Leeds fan is because I'm a Rangers fan and back in 1992 there was a rivalry between the 2, so there's a historical link. Although performances of late could be improved.
    NSD (5/15)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 20th Apr 17, 8:51 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,570 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Yesterday was a day of work followed by football.

Afterwards I seen the previous mentioned female friend to drop off some tickets for the Old Firm to her and we chatted for 45 mins or so. It'll be the last time I'll see her before she disappears to Barcelona. She vowed to keep in touch whenever she has wifi, I told her to enjoy herself and try to keep her eyes off her phone for as long as possible. Frustrates me how so many friends my age are literally addicted to their phones.

The late night conversation meant I was a bit groggy when the alarm went off at 5.30am. Decided to skip the gym for an extra hour in bed, which I'm feeling better for now.

On my lunch I'll chase up my mortgage broker because they're proving a nightmare to get back in touch either via email or calls. Hopefully they can speak to the lender (Bank of Ireland) and ask them to bring everything forward. I don't like the uncertainty of it all.

As always, I'll update on here when there's any changes.
    NSD (5/15)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 21st Apr 17, 9:13 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,570 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hello,

Spoke with the mortgage broker yesterday and they wanted my last 2 months bank statements and my last 3 months payslips. I've gave up asking why or arguing so I just done it. In the meantime, they'll speak with the lender to ensure I don't need to do anything else. We fear that some signed paperwork may have gone AWOL. I'll chase again today.

Had a chilled out evening yesterday and an early night which is just what I needed. Tonight I've got a boxing dinner at a local hotel so I'll maybe need a few quid for drinks and a taxi home.

Tomorrow I'm playing football in the morning (£7) then got a family get together in the evening which will be nice (and free).

Enjoy your weekend readers.
    NSD (5/15)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 24th Apr 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,570 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

An eventful weekend.

The boxing dinner went without a hitch. Spent £15 on the various charity donations and £10 for the taxi home.

Saturday's football ended badly as I tore my calf and I'm now in crutches for the foreseeable. 6 weeks at least. This meant my Saturday and Sunday was spent with it wrapped in ice and doing nothing. Soo frustrating.

Back to work today though. Office work so no need to walk about thankfully. Spanish lesson tonight too but not much else apart from that.

Have a nice Monday.
    NSD (5/15)
    • louby40
    • By louby40 24th Apr 17, 9:29 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 2,470 Thanks
    louby40
    Oh no, I hope you're feeling better soon Speky!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 25th Apr 17, 8:27 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,570 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Thanks Louby.

I'm feeling pretty positive about it actually. I'll slowly but surely start using it more and start doing my stretches. Sooner I'm out the crutches, the better.

Spanish lesson last night was good. Beginning to all make sense now. Really need to dive head first into these types of things. Apart from that I didn't do too much and I recon that'll be the same for the next few weeks as I sit with my leg in ice.

I'll try and keep myself busy tonight - somehow.
    NSD (5/15)
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 25th Apr 17, 8:25 PM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 27,230 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Oh no. Sorry to hear that you're injured. That will be so frustrating for you as you're so active. Relax as much as you can, and I hope that you feel better soon.
    NST June#24 NSD 8/15 RYSAW17 #1 £412.74 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 26th Apr 17, 8:55 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,570 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Thanks CCL. Yeah it's really boring. Can't go to the gym, play football, go a run etc. Maybe it's all that exercise which cumulatively caused the injury.

Anyway.

I did manage to go to Currys before the sale ends and buy myself a Dyson for the flat, so that's another thing off the list.

I had a phone call from my solicitors checking how things were going with the flat, a nice touch. They also said the needed to see one of my statements, so I sent that across to them. I should hopefully hear today or tomorrow from the mortgage broker that all is in order.

Flavour of the week - no plans tonight. Going to try and use my leg more often as the sooner I'm out the crutches the better.
    NSD (5/15)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 27th Apr 17, 8:51 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,570 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning,

I double checked my measurements and the bed frame I'm defo fits my bedroom. Armed with that confirmation I think I'll nip out at lunch today or tomorrow to purchase.

Mortgage broker emailed last night to tell me that all the information is with the lender and waiting on them signing it off. Solicitor has also confirmed they're waiting on the lender confirming things before we can move to the next stage - whatever that is.

Relaxed evening with my friend in front of the Xbox. Haven't done that in a while.

Forgot to take stuff out the freezer for dinner tonight, so I'll need to be creative tonight.

Have a super day
    NSD (5/15)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 28th Apr 17, 8:36 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,570 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Happy Friday.

Went to the bed place and left without buying. I wasn't 100% on the frame and I couldn't find a mattress I liked. I've to go to another store today to try more. I recon I'll complete the sale today though.

Not sure if I should be worried that confirmation hasn't came from the lender yet. 16th of May is the suggested move in date, which is 2/3 weeks away. Sit and wait.

Working tomorrow then I'll go to my friends for the big fight at night which I'm really looking forward to. And I'll do very little on Sunday. Although I might try and go to the pool and do some hydro exercises for my calf. See how it feels.

Have a lovely Friday everyone
    NSD (5/15)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 1st May 17, 8:56 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,570 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning,

A mixed weekend.

On Saturday my football team go beaten, heavily, by our rivals. The day was perked up though when I watched the boxing - what a fabulous fight. A piece of history. Sunday was more relaxed. Very relaxed actually, just the way a Sunday should be.

Leg's getting better. I'm feeling stronger this morning. Sooner I'm out the crutches, the better.

Not much planned for this week, which I'm fine with as that should mean low spending.

2 weeks till I move in to my new flat. Need to sort out paint colours as that's what I'll be doing when I get the keys. Still waiting to hear confirmation from the Bank of Ireland that the date change and all is ok. Worries me a bit given that the date is so close. I'll chase tomorrow when it's not a Bank holiday.

Keep you all posted. Have a nice day.
    NSD (5/15)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,250Posts Today

5,232Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin