Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Mar 16, 8:12 AM
    • 1,330Posts
    • 10,123Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's not a lot, but it's enough
    • 15th Mar 16, 8:12 AM
    It's not a lot, but it's enough 15th Mar 16 at 8:12 AM
    Good day to you all.

Can I start by saying I feel a bit embarrassed about starting this diary. Not because of my debt, but because in comparison to other peoples situation I seem to be in a better position to clear it. However Iíve been considering starting a diary like this for a while as I feel itís really been getting me down, like thereís a huge black cloud following me everywhere I go. I feel I think about money Ė or more specifically my debt - all day, every day, and hopefully having a place to come and post of my attempts to reduce it will help keep my chin up and motivate me.

A bit about me. Iím 25 and I live with my mum for now and I have a steady and comfortable paying job. I was in a relationship for 8 years and we had a joint savings account with a view to buy a place. When that relationship ended, I went off the rails. I blew my half of the savings while at the same time took out a credit card telling myself Iíll use it to increase my credit score by only using it to buy petrol and paying back at the end of every month. That didnít go to plan. I know have 2 credit cards (just recently paid off my third); Tesco Credit Card - £2,614.19 and Barclaycard - £693.88. Both of which are 0% interest for now.

The thing is, I know that my debt is manageable. Iím not spiralling out of control with interest. I donít have a mortgage. I donít have any kids. My expenditure is relatively low. I can and I will do this!

Although this is a Debt Free Diary, I have a view for this to become a Saving Diary once Iíve cleared these cards. I want to feel the way I felt 3 years ago with no debt and thus no worries. To be happy again.

My plan to clear this debt was originally to still try and maintain an element of my lifestyle that got me into this mess while being sensible. At the end of each month, any remaining money in my account would be transferred to my credit cards, this is already on top of my direct debits to meet the minimum repayments. However I found that this technique gave me too long a leash and I wasnít being tight enough. This month I actually have a stag do in Amsterdam (paid for by said credit cards) and with no savings, I had to use money from this months wages for spending money, leaving me skint for the remainder of the month, but goes to show that I can stow away a large chunk at the start of the month and force me to make the sacrifices. So thatís the plan, so put away a sizeable amount at the start of each month, the day I get paid.

Thank you for reading and appreciate the support.

Peace and Love!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (17/12)
Page 26
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 17th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    • 564 Posts
    • 1,135 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Hi Speky,

Congrats on your offer being accepted!!! You've worked so hard for it. I'm still saving for my deposit (prices are ridiculous round here), but it's so exciting to see you at the final stages!! Please keep us updated with the process, would love to see how you get on

Any any tips on furnishing for cheap would be great as well
    House Deposit:£9379.71/£15,000 = 62.53% Money Made'17 March:£24.87Feb: £120.47 Jan: £14. 35Total Made '16:£284.60
    Clothes bought '17 - £105.99/£600

• SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th Mar 17, 8:52 AM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 10,123 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning Chica!

I certainly will update as and when things happen.

For example;

Spoke with Purple Bricks this morning and they can only update their system between 9am-5pm. So as of 9.01am this morning, the flat is no longer listed.

One good things about Purple Bricks is that because you make the offer (as opposed to going through solicitors) you are able to see in real time an update on the situation. So right now I can see what stage we are on - "Waiting on seller to arrange a solicitor". Gives me a bit of piece of mind and I don't need to chase my solicitor needlessly.
    NSD (17/12)
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 17th Mar 17, 11:57 AM
    • 1,553 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    So exciting! Really pleased for you - look back again at your thread beginnings and see how far you've come! Well done.

Ikea is a great place and we have more than a few bits from there but also worth looking at are second hand shops, charity shops etc for a bit of upcycling furniture. We managed to kit our two spare bedrooms with brown wood wardrobes, chest of drawers, bookshelves and tables - a few evenings of sanding and chalk paint and literally one roll of expensive zany wallpaper for the linings and they look like they came from a posh shop. They weren't sets but now they look like they are in a quirky way - look on pinterest for ideas. I'm regularly asked where I bought them.
    I paid less than £100 for two wardrobes, three chest of drawers, two small booksheves, four assorted coffee tables and a small shelving unit and that was more than they wanted to take. Cost me £15 delivery on top. And then I paid around £50 for the materials. Even at Ikea prices I doubt I could top that and they're unique.
    Worth looking on freecycle and asking your relatives too for anything that they want rid of.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 17th Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 24,863 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I'm absolutely thrilled for you Speky - huge congratulations
    NST Mar#8 NSD 3/16 Groceries £45.22 RYSAW17 #1 £199.35 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 10,123 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Joey - That gives me fantastic inspiration!! My cousin was super MSE when he bought his flat and used freecyle a lot. I'll keep my eyes peeled on gumtree/ebay/charity shops for some bargains.

CCL - Thank you
    NSD (17/12)
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 18th Mar 17, 6:58 AM
    • 191 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Hey there Speky!

Exciting times ahead for you in regards to your potential new home! What a difference a year has made for you.

I bet your head is full of lots of ideas that you could do to the flat and as everyone else says there is a lot you can get from freecycle/ebay/family members etc. I know one person who buys herself a new sofa every 12/18 months and sells the old one on social media or selling sites, crazy that she hands over so much money each time but each to their own!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 18th Mar 17, 7:18 AM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 10,123 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning Chandelier.

I'll be sure to keep my eyes open on ebay and the like for some bargains. The reason I am up so early for a Saturday is that I'm looking to take advantage of the Next sale that's on.

I got a message last night from the seller setting a move in date of week commencing the 10th July. Perfect!!! Gives me some time to save up a bit more.

Can't wait!
    NSD (17/12)
    • louby40
    • By louby40 18th Mar 17, 1:14 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 2,118 Thanks
    louby40
    Congratulations Speky! Exciting times
    Parents£785 Debt Free July 2017 Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572 Debt free by Xmas 2017 #32 £2545/£3442
    Car loan £4218. Mortgage £98,160
    • Jenjenjen17
    • By Jenjenjen17 18th Mar 17, 3:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Jenjenjen17
    Hi Specky,

I've never posted before but have been reading your thread from the start, congratulations on the flat really happy for you! I bought my flat in Glasgow a couple of years ago and got quite a few things in really good condition from gumtree so would recommend you have a look.

Jen
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 20th Mar 17, 7:33 AM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 10,123 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning Jen, thanks for stopping by and posting.

I'll be sure to check it out as I'll need a bargain or 2 to get me going. What sort of things did you get on gumtree?
    NSD (17/12)
    • Jenjenjen17
    • By Jenjenjen17 20th Mar 17, 8:17 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Jenjenjen17
    Hi Speky

I got dining chairs, a table and a bookcase. The dining chairs were the best bargain, they were £65 each new in Ikea but I managed to get four that were less than a year old in perfect condition for £70. One of my friends also just got a washing machine that was about a year old for £80 because the person selling was moving into a new build with integrated appliances.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 21st Mar 17, 7:56 AM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 10,123 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Jen - a bargain indeed. I think I'll beg borrow and steal some things from friends and family to get me going. Thereafter I'll slowly save up and upgrade things when needed. Although my bro is moving to a bigger place to accommodate his baby that's due in July so he'll need more of a help than I do. Wish I could help him more.

Anyway. Played football last night with guys from work, home, showered, dinner and bed. Woke up during the night due to the weather and when my alarm went off for the gym the snow was a few inches deep. Treacherous journey into Glasgow, but I made it.

No plans tonight. Chilled one is on the cards.

Have a good day all.
    NSD (17/12)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 23rd Mar 17, 7:51 AM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 10,123 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Don't have too much to report outwith the mortgage side of things.

I feel I've got 3 spinning plates;

1 - My solicitor
    I'm required to fill out a form which includes a picture of 2 forms of identification and a bank statement, which caused problems given I'm with First Direct and they operate differently. The form had to be filled out within 7 days or I was going to get charged £10 per day. I think I filled it out correctly so I'll await to hear otherwise

2 - My mortgage broker
    As MSE recommended, I went with L&C. They gave me the mortgage in principle and now that the offer has been accpeted my solicitor has asked me to formally get the mortgage. So this involved 2 telephone conversations yesterday. The first went through my affordability (what I earn vs what I spend) the 2nd was 4 hours later with the broker explaining who the best offer was from, the interest rate, cashback, term, etc etc. They needed a copy of my payslips so I that was another document I had to scan and send across.

On this front, it was priced up over 25 years which came under budget, but I think I'll go over 30. It'll reduce my monthly figure by £40 - £50 which will make a big difference. I appreciate that I'll be paying more in interest but I can shorten the term when it comes to remortgaging after my 5 years fixed term.

3 - The sellers estate agent
    They chose Purple Bricks so everything is done online or on the phone. Now that the house is off the market, getting the information becomes difficult. I've to check if the home report is still within date, so waiting to hear back from PB to get a hard copy.

I'm constantly worried I've missed something or forgot something, not mention a fear that my mortgage application might be rejected for whatever reason. Anyway.

Off work tomorrow for my trip to Aviemore with the family which will be nice, it's a shame my step-bro and wife can't attend, I'd love to spend more time with them.

I'm going to bake empire biscuits and a vanilla sponge tonight so I need to nip out and get dolly mixtures and also a bottle of red for my mothers day while we're away. Really looking forward to chilling out over the weekend.
    NSD (17/12)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 29th Mar 17, 8:12 AM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 10,123 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hello,

I've returned from my break to Aviemore in which I distanced myself from all social media/work etc. Had a wonderful time with the family but a shame that my other step-bro and his wife couldn't attend.

Managed 4 NSD's during my trip due to a lot of food preparation before we left and home baking, so could be worse.

Need to go shopping at lunch to organise my food for the remainder of the week. Payday tomorrow which will be a relief. Straight into savings.

Not much movement on the mortgage front. I've a call at 1pm to discuss something with the solicitor. Not sure what but I'll be sure to update you all.

Happy hump day
    NSD (17/12)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,041Posts Today

8,820Users online

Martin's Twitter