Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    • 921Posts
    • 7,180Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's not a lot, but it's enough
    • 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    It's not a lot, but it's enough 15th Mar 16 at 9:12 AM
    Good day to you all.

Can I start by saying I feel a bit embarrassed about starting this diary. Not because of my debt, but because in comparison to other peoples situation I seem to be in a better position to clear it. However Iíve been considering starting a diary like this for a while as I feel itís really been getting me down, like thereís a huge black cloud following me everywhere I go. I feel I think about money Ė or more specifically my debt - all day, every day, and hopefully having a place to come and post of my attempts to reduce it will help keep my chin up and motivate me.

A bit about me. Iím 25 and I live with my mum for now and I have a steady and comfortable paying job. I was in a relationship for 8 years and we had a joint savings account with a view to buy a place. When that relationship ended, I went off the rails. I blew my half of the savings while at the same time took out a credit card telling myself Iíll use it to increase my credit score by only using it to buy petrol and paying back at the end of every month. That didnít go to plan. I know have 2 credit cards (just recently paid off my third); Tesco Credit Card - £2,614.19 and Barclaycard - £693.88. Both of which are 0% interest for now.

The thing is, I know that my debt is manageable. Iím not spiralling out of control with interest. I donít have a mortgage. I donít have any kids. My expenditure is relatively low. I can and I will do this!

Although this is a Debt Free Diary, I have a view for this to become a Saving Diary once Iíve cleared these cards. I want to feel the way I felt 3 years ago with no debt and thus no worries. To be happy again.

My plan to clear this debt was originally to still try and maintain an element of my lifestyle that got me into this mess while being sensible. At the end of each month, any remaining money in my account would be transferred to my credit cards, this is already on top of my direct debits to meet the minimum repayments. However I found that this technique gave me too long a leash and I wasnít being tight enough. This month I actually have a stag do in Amsterdam (paid for by said credit cards) and with no savings, I had to use money from this months wages for spending money, leaving me skint for the remainder of the month, but goes to show that I can stow away a large chunk at the start of the month and force me to make the sacrifices. So thatís the plan, so put away a sizeable amount at the start of each month, the day I get paid.

Thank you for reading and appreciate the support.

Peace and Love!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    Savings Target by June '17 = £1,350/£4,000
    NSD (18/20)
Page 12
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 1st Oct 16, 6:43 PM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 7,043 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Heavens, was that the poor chap who died today? What a shocking loss of life.

I hope your grandma is feeling more comfortable.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 2nd Oct 16, 9:24 AM
    • 3,003 Posts
    • 20,450 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I saw about that boxer dying on the news and wondered if it was the one you mentioned on here... That is scary. I love boxing, but only actually hitting pads - not people...
    Hope your Granny is doing ok.
    NST Dec #15 NSD 2/16 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447 Wombling '16 #28 (£634.37)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 3rd Oct 16, 9:02 AM
    • 921 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

Yes, it was that same boxer. Scary stuff indeed and feel so sorry for all involved in the event and the boxer that he was fighting - he must feel a huge amount of guilt.

Saturday proved my first NSD of the month as I was at work most of the day and came home to a raspberry gin or 2 at night.

Yesterday the plan was that my GF and I would go to Peebles for a nice lunch however we drove for around an hour and we were 15 minutes away when there was a police incident and had to turn around. To get to Peebles through a different route it would take at least another hour, so we decided against it and settled on some fast food.

Visited a SM on my way home and got my lunches for the week ahead so I'm aiming for plenty of NSD's this week!!!

Before the end of September I hit my max of £200 in my HTB and £175 in my FD Saver. I'll aim for the same this month, at least!

Anyway, back to it. Have a nice day/week everyone.
    NSD (18/20)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 5th Oct 16, 11:57 AM
    • 921 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

I think I've realised a mistake in my maths which might double up my savings. Maybe if I write it down it'll help, so here it goes...

I got paid on the last day of last month, September, and at that point I cleared my debt and also put money in my savings; £100 in my HTB (which took me to my £200 limit for the month) and also £175 into my First Direct Saver. However since this was technically from the pay that was to last me for October, I'd need to do the same again for the same pay to account for October unless I use the pay I get at the end of this month. Ahhhh. There we go. Figured it out. I'll need to make my transfers when I get paid and not in the month ahead.

So this month I'm making a real effort to collect as many NSD's as possible which should leave me extra money in my account and thus can go into savings.

I'm also eating better and doing more exercise. Healthy mind, healthy body, healthy finances.
    NSD (18/20)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 10th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 921 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

I've returned from a golfing weekend in sunny Campbeltown. Was absolutely gorgeous. However the full weekend cost £160. A bit more than expected.

GF's birthday on Saturday so applying the finishing touches for then. I'll write a list of things I need to get then get thinking on where's cheapest to buy them; things like cards, wrapping paper etc.

Funds will be tight this month so nothing else extravagant outwith her birthday. We spoke last night about Xmas and agreed on a £200 budget. We love Xmas and so I don't mind spending it and it's affordable, all budgeted. Happy days!
    NSD (18/20)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 14th Oct 16, 9:57 AM
    • 921 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning,

Half way through the month and Iím tight on cash which is the first time thatís been the case since June. Tomorrow is my GFís birthday and Iíve got her presents hidden in the house which Iíll spend tonight looking out and wrapping. Tomorrow thereís a large group of us going out for a drink or 3 but Iíll be doing my best to keep the cost as low as possible. I simply canít afford an expensive one. The bigger part of her birthday is next week however in the trip away that weíve organised. Although itís all paid for I know Iíll need a chunky grocery shop for the weekend for 6 of us. After that Iíll be doing nothing in order to get by till payday.

Iím telling myself that this month was a uniquely expensive one. I paid £375 into my savings, I was golfing which cost £160 and itís a special girls birthday which would be just shy of £200. I suppose when I look at it that way itís no surprise Iím tight for the month.

But this is a milestone month. Itís my first debt free. Iím starting from scratch. Each month my pot will get bigger and as it does Iím sure itíll give me motivation to stay frugal and save.

My Mum asked my GF and I if we wanted to go a holiday in September of next year in which all weíd have to pay is the flights (£200) for a week in Spain. A bargain right? However next year is when I plan to buy a place and so the £200 flight plus £300 spending money could be better spent. If weíre talking about holidays, my GF and I havenít been away just us 2 yet and weíd like to but again Iíd say getting a mortgage is more important. Lastly, and probably more importantly, is the fact that my GF is in debt to the tune of £3,000. Ironically the same figure I had. She canít afford holiday(s) never mind a deposit for a house.

The GFís finances is a different kettle of fish and Iím unsure how I can help. Sheís completely open with what she earns and how much debt sheís in however sheís poor with making a plan and sticking to it. Iím sure sheís got a DD setup for YNAB and is completely ignoring it. I need her to help herself before I can help. AnywayÖ

Back to work for now. Iíll check back in on Monday.
    NSD (18/20)
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 15th Oct 16, 7:48 PM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 7,043 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Hi, sorry to have been absent with the cheering - this week has been a bit manic and the joys of self employment mean that No is rarely the answer.

If your GF's debt is stable at £3000 then could she benefit from the 1% rule - ie breaking it down into 100 x £30. Then get her to aim for paying off 1% a week, or 5% a month, or more, well you get the picture. Of course that isn't going to work if paying it off is still beaten by over-spending. Sounds like maybe she hasn't had her lightbulb moment yet, or maybe after her health scare earlier this year she might not be in that place yet?
    Hope she has a lovely birthday.
    • Cailbhinn
    • By Cailbhinn 15th Oct 16, 10:09 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    Cailbhinn
    It's Saturday night and i've just spent a good hour reading your post Speky. Your situation resonates with me - debt, young, wanting on the property ladder but most importantly Scottish! I have much more CC debt than you had (bet you grin at the past tense!!) but determined to get rid of it over the next few years. YNAB has revolutionised this despite only using it for a few weeks.

Thanks for taking the time to post it as it's real support for us DFW n00bs! Best of luck in the savings, getting the GF on board, getting a hoose etc!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th Oct 16, 8:50 AM
    • 921 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Joey - Understandable, hope business is going well. You're right actually. I'll suggest that to her tonight. TBH, i think shes just digging her head in the sand at the moment. I think her lightbulb moment is round the corner.

Cailbhinn - Hello and welcome. I hope my story can be of help. Stick with your debt free diary as I found that a great motivator and you're already using YNAB so that's half the battle IMO. Unfortunately there does have to be some sacrifices which is fine by me. Getting rid of my debt meant much more to me than excess clothes or whatever. Keep it going. It's a marathon, not a sprint and every penny helps.

The weekend was good. My GF seemed to have a wonderful day and she loves her pressies. Some of which I bought back in February time with the foresight I could use it for either her Xmas or B/Day. Her main pressie is the trip away on the weekend though so I've got Friday off to get prepared, should be lovely wee break.

Back to the grind now. As I said, off Friday so it's a 4 day week. I listened to a podcast this morning about selling and a guy called in and basically said he was in a job similair to mine. so the experts gave some top tips which I'll take on board and try to utilise and hit my sales target (and thus get my bonus). Going to make another concious effort to excerise more and eat well this next 4 days too so actually looking forward to the week ahead and collect plenty of NSD's!

P.S. Cailbhinn, that's another thing. Try some of the DFW Challenges on here. I'm a big advocate of the No Spend Days challenge as it stopped me with the small impulse buys everyday.
    NSD (18/20)
    • louby40
    • By louby40 17th Oct 16, 8:23 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 1,297 Thanks
    louby40
    Glad your GF had a good birthday Speky! And get you buying stuff in February- you're a MS Expert now 100%!
    Dec 16 Barclaycard £73 0% First Direct £1179 0% Parents £2125=£3377
    Nov 16 Barclaycard £73 0% First Direct £1179 0% Parents £2425= £3677
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Car loan £5024 Mortgage £99,720
    • Cailbhinn
    • By Cailbhinn 17th Oct 16, 8:30 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    Cailbhinn
    CailbhinnUnfortunately there does have to be some sacrifices which is fine by me. Getting rid of my debt meant much more to me than excess clothes or whatever. Keep it going. It's a marathon, not a sprint and every penny helps.
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    Indeed, as YNAB says - "roll with the punches". I've resisted posting an SOA for that reason as I feel a bit embarrassed about the amount I spend on my car, nights out, entertainment etc whilst other folk are struggling to scrape together money for the basics. I could probably pay my debts off in a year but don't want to be too miserable.

Going to make another concious effort to excerise more and eat well this next 4 days too so actually looking forward to the week ahead and collect plenty of NSD's!
    This another reason - being organised and plan my food will help me to shift those few extra stone I have.

P.S. Cailbhinn, that's another thing. Try some of the DFW Challenges on here. I'm a big advocate of the No Spend Days challenge as it stopped me with the small impulse buys everyday.
    I'm signed up for NSD and actually raging that I have a non-NSD today! Aiming for 8 NSDs between now and the end of the month. Will need to have a look at the others to see how i can fit them in my life.
    Starting Debt (31 Oct 2016) - £12,956 | Current Debt (31 Oct 2016) - £12,956 (0% paid)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 18th Oct 16, 9:00 AM
    • 921 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Louby - I tend to get excited with the MSE newsletter that comes out which features the different deals that are on. I keep my eyes peeled and buy various things when they're on sale. Less stress for November/December too.

Cailbhinn - With you on that. At our age, we still need to live life and enjoy it. We could lock ourselves away, survive on beans and water and pay off the debt in no time but what way is that to live. You can have a balance.

Yesterday I had to spend £2 on my lunch so I missed on my NSD. Today I brought my lunch with me but I know I need to stop off and buy some sugar for a dessert I'm making for tomorrows dinner at my GF's house. So I'll miss out on another NSD. At least they are both low spends.

I'm looking tight for the remainder of this month although I only get paid a week on Thursday, so not too long to wait. I've got money budgeted to fill my tank up again and buy some groceries but that's all I can afford. The thing is I don't actually mind being skint because the reason I am is that I've put a big chunk to savings. It feels different to being skint because you're paying off debt, it's easier to accept.
    NSD (18/20)
    • Cailbhinn
    • By Cailbhinn 19th Oct 16, 7:48 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    Cailbhinn

I'm looking tight for the remainder of this month although I only get paid a week on Thursday, so not too long to wait..
    Ahh... do you have the dreaded 5 week month too? I'm last Thursday of the month. I used to dread them as I knew I'd be rooked for the last few days. Hopefully now i'll budget for it. Next one not until January though. That might be a good or bad thing I don't know...
    Starting Debt (31 Oct 2016) - £12,956 | Current Debt (31 Oct 2016) - £12,956 (0% paid)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 20th Oct 16, 8:40 AM
    • 921 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    I do hate them. They always seem to catch me out.

Yesterday evening was great and my sticky toffee pudding turned out well, very happy with it all and it didn't cost a fortune too which always helps.

I'm off work tomorrow so I can tie up some loose ends. I've written a list;

- Go to the gym
    - Visit the library
    - Collect grocery shopping for the weekend away
    - Drop said grocery shopping off to GF's sister who will head up before us.
    - Pack for the weekend.
    - Get the screw tightened in my glasses

All of which I'd like to be done before noon. Really looking forward to it all.

I suspect the full weekend will be spend days. With the Old Firm on Sunday, I'll probably have some expenditure but I'll get it to a minimum - work in the morning.
    NSD (18/20)
    • Cailbhinn
    • By Cailbhinn 20th Oct 16, 9:00 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    Cailbhinn
    sticky toffee pudding
    Geez a bit! My favourite! Have a belter of a weekend.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 24th Oct 16, 9:28 AM
    • 921 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning all.

I didn't stop on Friday. So busy getting ready for the weekend away making sure that everything was just right, and so it turned out. Had a lovely weekend and on a MSE side it was a pretty cheap one, we didn't eat out and everyone brought food and drink with them!! Which is just as well since I'm skint!

Back to it this week. Payday on Thursday so I should manage to see out till then with very little expenditure. Playing football tonight, so that'll cost £3 or £4. I might need a trip to a SM before then to make sure I've got lunches ready but I'll raid the cupboards and freezer first.

I'm doing a secret santa with my brothers and their other halves and another secret santa with my GF''s brothers and sisters. So I need to get my thinking cap on on what to get. Once I've got those 2 I'll have most of Xmas sorted which is a first.
    NSD (18/20)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 25th Oct 16, 9:13 AM
    • 921 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning,

My best friend works in Glasgow and he suggested that we car share and heíll give me £50 per month. Itís only slightly out my way and weíve been trailing it since last week and it seems to be working. His train ticket was £150 odds for the month, so heís saved £100 and Iíve gained £50. Iíve been more punctual at work now as I donít want to be late in picking him up so itís a win-win.

I actually forgot my wallet last night and so didnít pay for football so yesterday was a NSD. I will have to pay my colleague who covered for me today though.

Tonight is FIFA Tuesdays so Iíll drop my friend off after work, visit the gym and then go home to sit and relax and have a good catch up which Iím looking forward to.

On the money front, I logged onto YNAB and my bank this morning to make sure the 2 matched up and I see YNAB now as a report function! Very impressed. It shows spending habits in various graphs over a period of time and seeing it in a such a way helps to highlight some particular points to note.

I get paid on Thursday and I need to budget clever for the month ahead. Iíve got 2 secret santas to get, one at £50 and one at £30. Plus there will no doubt be a work one which is a believe is £10 or £15. Iíve also to buy for my Mum and Gran but I think I know what Iíll get them. Itíll cost roughly £80 for them both, a nice spa day together. The biggest though is my GF. We agreed on a £200 limit. Adding up the above totals £375 and split that over November and December equals £187.50 per month, easy enough.

November looks to be a quiet month and with Xmas round the corner itís a good excuse to stay in and save the cash. Iíll be giving it a good go at the NSDís too Ė my GFís birthday this month has kinda knocked me off track.

Lastly, I also listed tons of stuff on eBay. I woke to a few notifications on my phone of people making bids on various books and electronics, so I should have a few extra pennies coming in, happy days!
    NSD (18/20)
    • louby40
    • By louby40 25th Oct 16, 5:28 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 1,297 Thanks
    louby40
    I got excited about the YNAB reports too! Are we a bit sad?? lol
    Dec 16 Barclaycard £73 0% First Direct £1179 0% Parents £2125=£3377
    Nov 16 Barclaycard £73 0% First Direct £1179 0% Parents £2425= £3677
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Car loan £5024 Mortgage £99,720
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 26th Oct 16, 8:31 AM
    • 921 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    I got excited about the YNAB reports too! Are we a bit sad?? lol
    Originally posted by louby40

Not at all. We're just now much better with our money
    NSD (18/20)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 27th Oct 16, 9:23 AM
    • 921 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Payday came early and arrived in my account yesterday evening, just as I finished work at 11pm. I called First Direct when I finished (answered within 1 ring) and organised my standing orders, very pleasant and helpful to deal with. I still have an account at the BoS in which most of my DDís come out of. I had originally set this up so I had 1 account for DDís and the other was disposable money but since YNAB, I no longer need this and so Iíll soon start switching in the new month. Itíll just make things much easier to track for YNAB purposes.

Iíve matched my savings payments of last month. A total of £375. I was going to add more but Iím conscious of Xmas and I like to get organised. The more Iím organised now, the more I can save in December.

I donít have much going on in November. Iíve a haircut and a dentist appointment. Iím really going to push on my NSDís for November and thatíll hopefully make a bit of a difference to my spending.

My mum asked me what I wanted for Xmas and I said either money that would go straight into savings, or vouchers for IKEA as Iím that determined that 2017 is the year I get a mortgage.
    NSD (18/20)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,307Posts Today

8,740Users online

Martin's Twitter