Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    • 704Posts
    • 5,022Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's not a lot, but it's enough
    • 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    It's not a lot, but it's enough 15th Mar 16 at 9:12 AM
    Good day to you all.

Can I start by saying I feel a bit embarrassed about starting this diary. Not because of my debt, but because in comparison to other peoples situation I seem to be in a better position to clear it. However Iíve been considering starting a diary like this for a while as I feel itís really been getting me down, like thereís a huge black cloud following me everywhere I go. I feel I think about money Ė or more specifically my debt - all day, every day, and hopefully having a place to come and post of my attempts to reduce it will help keep my chin up and motivate me.

A bit about me. Iím 25 and I live with my mum for now and I have a steady and comfortable paying job. I was in a relationship for 8 years and we had a joint savings account with a view to buy a place. When that relationship ended, I went off the rails. I blew my half of the savings while at the same time took out a credit card telling myself Iíll use it to increase my credit score by only using it to buy petrol and paying back at the end of every month. That didnít go to plan. I know have 2 credit cards (just recently paid off my third); Tesco Credit Card - £2,614.19 and Barclaycard - £693.88. Both of which are 0% interest for now.

The thing is, I know that my debt is manageable. Iím not spiralling out of control with interest. I donít have a mortgage. I donít have any kids. My expenditure is relatively low. I can and I will do this!

Although this is a Debt Free Diary, I have a view for this to become a Saving Diary once Iíve cleared these cards. I want to feel the way I felt 3 years ago with no debt and thus no worries. To be happy again.

My plan to clear this debt was originally to still try and maintain an element of my lifestyle that got me into this mess while being sensible. At the end of each month, any remaining money in my account would be transferred to my credit cards, this is already on top of my direct debits to meet the minimum repayments. However I found that this technique gave me too long a leash and I wasnít being tight enough. This month I actually have a stag do in Amsterdam (paid for by said credit cards) and with no savings, I had to use money from this months wages for spending money, leaving me skint for the remainder of the month, but goes to show that I can stow away a large chunk at the start of the month and force me to make the sacrifices. So thatís the plan, so put away a sizeable amount at the start of each month, the day I get paid.

Thank you for reading and appreciate the support.

Peace and Love!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    Follow my Debt Free Diary/Save, Save, Save Dairy - "It's not a lot, but it's enough"
Page 11
    • Mothershipa
    • By Mothershipa 22nd Sep 16, 6:42 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Mothershipa
    Hi speky, well done on your journey so far and good luck on your xmas target.

I would recommend the book called The miracle morning by Hal Elrod. I was always running late in the mornings dragging myself & kids out of bed now I'm up at 6.15 am.

Claire x
    Proud to be dealing with my debt.
    Debt Free Date December 2018, September 2017 July 2017 ( hopefully )
    May £10 A Day #21 £33.75/£310, NST May #18, May NSD 2/16,
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 22nd Sep 16, 9:35 AM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 6,817 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Yeah, Joey - totally achievable and then I'll go into 2017 saving, saving, saving!!!

Do you not find though that you're less productive late a night than early in the morning? I'm more likely to be awake at midnight - but staring at the TV than doing the ironing.
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    It depends - I'm quite good at getting reports and financial stuff done late at night. I think its the quiet. But the physical stuff is much better done during the day. I use the flylady thread to help keep me straight.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 22nd Sep 16, 9:36 AM
    • 704 Posts
    • 5,022 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Thanks Mothership - that sounds like just what I need, thank you.

Yesterday was pizza and pasta for dinner followed by a relaxing one. I think I've passed my cold onto the GF so she felt a bit under the weather and was sleeping in bed for 10, so I turned everything off an joined her.

Today looks a lovely day, the kind of day that I wish I had off to just be super productive. I'll save that feeling for the weekend.

This morning the alarm went off at 6am. I snoozed once and lay there awake, encouraging myself to get up. I eventually did which gave me time to have a coffee and a big bowl of granola. The GF said to me this morning, "why were you up so early". "I'm trying something new", I responded. Let's see how long that lasts.

Tonight I'll go to a boxing class with my friend which we've not done in ages (with that goes my NSD) and then afterwards my other friend will come over for our usual Thursday night in.

I've remembered that I've got a black tie dinner next Thursday, so I'll need to hire a tux. £70. I've probably hired the same tux about 6 times now, so I really should allow myself to save up and buy one for myself given the line of work I am in means I get invited to awards dinners and the like. I'm sure I can get a good yet affordable one from M&S.

Anyway, back to work for today. Speak soon.
    Follow my Debt Free Diary/Save, Save, Save Dairy - "It's not a lot, but it's enough"
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 22nd Sep 16, 7:50 PM
    • 2,845 Posts
    • 19,182 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I hate getting up early. I have to get up at half six during the week and at the weekend, getting up at 8 seems like sheer bliss.
    You will be debt free by Christmas - that was my goal last year and I got there early. Good luck
    NST Sept #16 NSD 13/14 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447 Wombling '16 #28 (£634.37) 3-6 month EF #10£1 a day for Christmas 2016 #32
    • louby40
    • By louby40 23rd Sep 16, 7:21 AM
    • 461 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    louby40
    Well done on getting below £1k! Great achievement.
    Oct 16 - Barclaycard £371 0% First Direct cc £840 0% Parents £2695 = £3906
    Sept 16 - Barclaycard £540 0% First Direct £870 0% Parents £2995 = £4405
    Aug 16 - Barclaycard £668 0% First Direct £900 0% Parents £3295 = £4863
    Car loan £5609 Mortgage £100,497
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 23rd Sep 16, 8:31 AM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 6,817 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Just a thought about the tuxedo - Debenhams are doing 25% off this weekend. I got DS1s dinner suit from there last year on a similar promotion - compared to rental I think it cost me about another £20 for a suit that is actually very similar in quality and since he's worn it half a dozen times at least its much better value. Might be worth a look in store or even online.

Also if you order online and do click and collect there is another promotion that gives you a £5 voucher when you pick it up.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 23rd Sep 16, 8:54 AM
    • 704 Posts
    • 5,022 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Joey - Good shout. I'm going into Glasgow tomorrow so I'll have a look. Also the MSE newsletter mentioned Next might have a sale too so I'll check there while I'm in.

Well everyone. I have some HUGE NEWS...

Roughly around the same time I really started my debt free mission, I spoke with my gran about how I'm desperate to move out and buy my own place. I explained to her about the Help To Buy accounts and that I'll put away what I can each month and my gran then offered to match whatever I put into my account (whilst keeping it under the maximum allowed of £200 per month). I refused. I felt hugely guilty that I was taking money from my gran who had worked all her life to have these savings, she insisted and it was left without resolve.

Since then I opened my Help To Buy and I have been putting my own money away each month. £50 here, £75 there. Plodding away until I get rid of this ruddy debt!

My gran phoned me yesterday on my way back from work and asked me to pop by. After a cup of tea, a biscuit and damn good chat, she handed me a cheque for £1,000.00 which was a back payment for all the months she hadn't given me money!!! I was speechless. Again I felt enermously guilty, I handed it back to her and said I couldn't take her money but she gave a speech of how she's in the winter of her life and she won't be here for ever and in the time she has left she wants to see me happy and fufill a life goal of owning my own home. She explained the money was of no use to her, her only expense is monthly bills and groceries and her and my grandad had been fortunate to save money during the working lives to do things such as this. She insisted and said she'd be offended if I refused. I'm not an emotional man but I was close to tears as I gave her a huge hug and kiss.

Went I got home I said to my mum about it and expressed my feelings again and my mum reiterated what my gran said. I said to my GF and she was astounded. I must admit, I still find it hard to accept.

I would need to cash the cheque tomorrow and once cleared, I can then clear my debt with it and from then on I would set up a standing order to save the maximum of £200 per month into my Help To Buy and a further £150 into another savings.

I can't quite believe it..
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 26th Sep 16, 9:03 AM
    • 704 Posts
    • 5,022 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning,

Had a busy weekend however it was unfortunately and spendy one - well at least Saturday was.

On Friday my GF and I were treated to a lovely takeaway from her sister and partner.

Saturday was a day spent mostly in Glasgow as I got 3 watches fixed, a haircut, a tuxedo and new shoes then a celebratory dinner and drinks after.

I went to Slaters to get my work suit fitted so while I was in I spoke to someone about a tux and I was fitted with one for £60! It used to be £70 to hire it! Also, I had won £100 in vouchers in a raffle ages ago so I used the vouchers for this and a new pair of shoes, so it essentially only cost me £20!!

I exchanged the Euros I had left over from the holiday and got £80 back. I won't even record this on YNAB and I'll put it straight in my tin to be forgotten about until Xmas if it's needed.

I also started my KonMarie tidying up yesterday evening. Not even finished and I've got 3 bin bags of clothes sitting ready to go to a CS. Amazed!

Back to work this morning, so moustache.
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 26th Sep 16, 9:09 AM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 6,817 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    What a weekend - and what a fabulous Grandmother.
    And it'll be great to have your debt gone plus you've learned so much about why you spend, how to manage your money etc that I look forward to you being mortgage free in no time. OK, maybe that's a bit premature but you know what I mean.
    Fantastic news about the dinner suit, that's a great bargain and so much nicer to have your own suit. Remember to factor in dry cleaning in your YNAB, oh and find a good one that won't overpress it. The place that sold you the suit and does rentals might have a good recommendation. DH's old one was ruined by the dry cleaners (national chain) to the point where we complained and got compensation.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 26th Sep 16, 9:16 AM
    • 704 Posts
    • 5,022 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Yes, I've got plans to save a chunky deposit to try and keep the monthly costs down. Cannot wait!

That's a very good idea actually Joey, something I hadn't thought of. I'll ask the question of them when i collect it on Tuesday.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 28th Sep 16, 9:44 AM
    • 704 Posts
    • 5,022 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

Not too much happening since the excitement of last week.

I banked the cheque on Saturday and the member of staff told me itíd be 3 days before it cleared. Sure enough, yesterday my bank balance increased by £1,000 however my Ďavailable balanceí hadnít. Never had this before but Iím sure there is a reasonable explanation. Iíve rarely used cheques so I assume itís something to do with that?

I was cited for jury duty however I called last night to check if I was needed and I was told no, but to phone today after 5pm Ė so thereís a chance I may still be.

The new job is good. Very sales focused however thatís not a bad thing. The staff are what makes it really. Iím in a office of guys my age with similar interests so thereís a good bit of banter going around. Also, theyíre good at their job so everyone is on the same page and aiming for the same goal. Itís early days, but I could get comfortable here.

I get paid tomorrow, so Iíll do my usual audit of how my spending has been the last month and budget for October. May have to make some changes as itís my GFís birthday so I need to account for a bit more in that category. Although Iíve already got her some things, I do need to pay the balance for our trip away to the lodges on the West coast of Scotland and some smaller things.

Anyway, back to work. Iíll check my bank before I finish and see if the available balance situation changes and if so, Iíll pay my CC off. If not, Iíll maybe give the bank a call after Iíve checked if Iím needed in court.

Take care.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 29th Sep 16, 9:35 AM
    • 704 Posts
    • 5,022 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Officially debt free
    Morning all,

Today is a memorable date thatíll stick in my mind for a long time. This morning I was paid and the cheque from my gran cleared which meant I could pay off my credit cardÖ.I am not debt free. Itís been a journey however the silver lining is that Iíve learned a lot over the last 2 years and Iíll continue to be frugal and save, save, save to get a deposit together to buy my own house which has been a dream of mine for a long time yet seemed so far away.

A huge thanks to all of you who have supported me on here Ė particularly JoeyJimbles, CCL and Louby. I know it may not seem like much but an encouraging comment here and there has helped me remain focused and stick to my word.

So Iíll keep this diary going however the focus will be on saving as much as possible. Iíve set myself a target. £3,000 by May which is 8 months away, so £375 per month. Iíve deliberately stretched my target to force me to be frugal with my cash and not to go mental.

Let the journey begin.
    • biglass
    • By biglass 29th Sep 16, 2:09 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    biglass
    Well done to you,that's brilliant news It's great to hear of someone so young and committed to sorting out their financial future
    By the way ,I have Kondo'd (apart from the folding) and it truly is life changing- I am so much more chilled out and our home is organised,settled and easy to keep clean- well worth it,it's unbelievable.
    Well done again
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 29th Sep 16, 2:11 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 5,022 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Well done to you,that's brilliant news It's great to hear of someone so young and committed to sorting out their financial future
    By the way ,I have Kondo'd (apart from the folding) and it truly is life changing- I am so much more chilled out and our home is organised,settled and easy to keep clean- well worth it,it's unbelievable.
    Well done again
    Originally posted by biglass
    Thank you for your kind words.

I've only started my KonMarie journey and I'm excited to finish it and maintain it going forward. The amount of clothes has dropped by around 65% and it feels great to open up my cupboard or drawers with the confidence that I love everything there. I could dress myself with my eyes closed and feel good. Loving it so far.
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 29th Sep 16, 2:59 PM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 6,817 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Speaking for myself, I was just a cheerleader - you did the hard work and you were honest with yourself which is why I think you have succeeded in your goal.
    Now go and get that first million.
    Me and KonMarie rub along fine together - though I still think she's bonkers (in a good way) - the whole family now automatically fold carrier bags into samosas!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 29th Sep 16, 3:06 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 5,022 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Speaking for myself, I was just a cheerleader - you did the hard work and you were honest with yourself which is why I think you have succeeded in your goal.
    Now go and get that first million.
    Me and KonMarie rub along fine together - though I still think she's bonkers (in a good way) - the whole family now automatically fold carrier bags into samosas!
    Originally posted by joeyjimbles
    Nonetheless, your consistent encouragement helped keep me focused and take responsibility for what I say and do, so thank you.

That's always something I've wanted to learn actually. A few of my friends make their empty crisp packets into samosas meanwhile I can just tie mine in a knot!
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 29th Sep 16, 7:38 PM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 6,817 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cidF66-LXng

It takes a little practice but you'll find yourself doing it automatically after a while. I taught a friend over dinner recently and it became our after-dinner entertainment to fold her stash of bags into little shapes.

There is a downside - I have one of those plastic tubes from Ikea that you put your bags in, the samosa's make them too small and they come out of the holes in the side. Talk about first world problems. However, even before the 5p tax I have become adept at always having a bag for life with me and rarely have any foldable carrier bags anyway.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 29th Sep 16, 7:42 PM
    • 2,845 Posts
    • 19,182 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Huge congratulations on getting DF Speky! It's a heck of a good feeling. Enjoy it... I've been df for nearly a year now but I have no intention of leaving here - it keeps me on the straight and narrow.
    NST Sept #16 NSD 13/14 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447 Wombling '16 #28 (£634.37) 3-6 month EF #10£1 a day for Christmas 2016 #32
    • louby40
    • By louby40 30th Sep 16, 9:35 AM
    • 461 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    louby40
    Wow!! What a week. I've hardly been on here with work and stuff.

I'm so chuffed for you Speky. You can really and truly begin your next journey. My grandma gave all her grandkids £1k in her will. Very generous gesture and greatly needed at the time but this was 9 years ago now.

Enjoy your weekend!
    Oct 16 - Barclaycard £371 0% First Direct cc £840 0% Parents £2695 = £3906
    Sept 16 - Barclaycard £540 0% First Direct £870 0% Parents £2995 = £4405
    Aug 16 - Barclaycard £668 0% First Direct £900 0% Parents £3295 = £4863
    Car loan £5609 Mortgage £100,497
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 30th Sep 16, 10:42 AM
    • 704 Posts
    • 5,022 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Thank you all.

Yesterday was a happy day. The evening I was at a boxing black tie dinner which was great although one of the boxers was rushed to hospital and is in a critical condition, scary stuff.

Work today and tomorrow so nothing exciting on the cards for either evenings.

My gran wasn't well during the night. Gastroenteritis seems to the diagnosis. I'll visit her on my way back from work and check she's ok. My mums taken the day of work to be with her. Hate seeing her unwell.

Back to work. Have a good day all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,912Posts Today

6,579Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @PapaSlavs: @MartinSLewis hi, how much per month should I typically charge my daughter board & lodgings now she's left uni and become an?

• RT @EssexHebridean: 13 years, 2 months and 6 days after taking it out, we've just paid the final lump sum off our mortgage. #MortgageFree @?

• Many first time buyers panicked about Help to Buy mortgage guarantee ending, here's my video on what it really mean? https://t.co/uGD6sG4hvl

• Follow Martin