Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Luke
    • By MSE Luke 11th Mar 16, 5:59 PM
    • 253Posts
    • 63Thanks
    MSE Luke
    MSE News: Hotpoint tumble dryer help: 3 extra tricks to get you a refund
    • 11th Mar 16, 5:59 PM
    MSE News: Hotpoint tumble dryer help: 3 extra tricks to get you a refund 11th Mar 16 at 5:59 PM
    Been waiting months for Hotpoint tumble dryer repair? Here's how to try for a refund...
    Read the full story:
    'Hotpoint tumble dryer help: 3 extra tricks to get you a refund'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 15-03-2016 at 7:51 PM.
Page 29
    • mclarkie
    • By mclarkie 5th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 5,794 Posts
    • 947,433 Thanks
    mclarkie
    Registered for a repair on 11 Mar 2016, still no repair date! They sent me an email with replacements for £99, when I try to order one for home delivery, the button on the page is faded out and there is a stop sign,
    Originally posted by saltrampen
    A faded button probably means that model is out of stock, you can either wait and keep checking the website or choose a different model.
    I had a faulty vented Hotpoint and have ordered a heat pump condenser replacement with A+ energy rating.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 5th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 2,538 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Quite happy paid £99 for a £200 tumble drier to replace our 9 year old machine under this scheme. Old drier was already on its last legs without the problem anyway. Also a better spec than the one we had
    • legoman62
    • By legoman62 5th Mar 17, 10:15 PM
    • 2,202 Posts
    • 11,153 Thanks
    legoman62
    Quite happy paid £99 for a £200 tumble drier to replace our 9 year old machine under this scheme. Old drier was already on its last legs without the problem anyway. Also a better spec than the one we had
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Which model did you choose?
    E Coast. 16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28į pitch.
    Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. N.E Lincs Coast. Hybrid car
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 6th Mar 17, 6:56 AM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 2,538 Thanks
    unforeseen
    I think it's the TDWSF38EP. Condensing drier
    • saltrampen
    • By saltrampen 6th Mar 17, 8:22 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    saltrampen
    No Choice
    Further to the reply - I had an email on Friday offering 8 replacement models (4 condensing and 4 vented) when I tried to order one, I found actually 6 out of the 8 were faded (ie. out of stock). As suggested, I will keep trying, but will be asking my MP about tightening up on laws regarding safety recalls. There should be a time limit for this sort of thing.
    Last edited by saltrampen; 06-03-2017 at 8:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 6th Mar 17, 9:00 AM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 2,538 Thanks
    unforeseen
    We had to keep trying until the one we wanted was in stock
    • wrongmark
    • By wrongmark 7th Mar 17, 1:53 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    wrongmark
    Just my two peneth. We have an Indesit dryer affected by this fault (literally the cheapest one in Currys that day). We bought it to replace our previous one which was almost identical (also the cheapest one in the shop) and lasted at least 8 years (and we use it daily - which is probably why my elec bills are so high ).

Anyway, after complaining through twitter we had a guy come out as a priority to do the modification which I was not too comfortable with. After he left, we were convinced that the dryer was not performing as good as it did before. I complained again through twitter and was after a new dryer for free.

They sent out another engineer to take a look. This guy was very good, he took the whole thing to bits and thoroughly cleaned and hoovered out all the fluff. He explained everything about the fault issue and checked all had been done correctly (really put my mind at rest - from memory a seal was replaced with a visually more robust one that stops fluff getting into the heating element).

He then diagnosed the exhaust pipe (or whatever it's called) as old and worn out (not allowing free flow of air out) causing the heater to not work properly. Replaced this free of charge and all is well.

Great service in the end. I'd say to those wanting a new one, by all means give it a try, but if they modify your existing one, get them to explain and show you what they're doing to put your mind at rest.
    Last edited by wrongmark; 07-03-2017 at 1:56 PM.
    • debasur
    • By debasur 12th Mar 17, 11:29 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    debasur
    Replacement tumble drier
    Hi All
    After waiting well over a year for a repair on my tumble drier, I decided to just get the issue over and grudgingly took the replacement offer for £99, I did try to get it for free but they wouldn't budge.
    So the new one I chose was delivered and unpacked by the delivery men and left in my hall way. When I tried to fit it in the space where the old one was it will not fit. This model is a lot bigger than my old one and so I do not want it. I contacted Hotpoint who say they will not exchange it. Yes I know I should have done proper research etc on sizes but I am not sure that dimensions etc was on the website showing the models you can choose, and I now cant log in to see that page as it says "exchange complete" and wont let me go further. I thought under the online selling regs I had 14 days to change my mind. But how does this work with it being part of a safety programme?
    Any clued up legal eagles please help as it seems I am now stuck with an unwanted item. I did explain to them I am only in this situation due to their machines being potential fire hazards and that they should use a bit of goodwill to just get this customer satisfied and off the list so to speak but as usual hotpoint customer services are not very helpful.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 12th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    • 10,053 Posts
    • 8,127 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Hi All
    After waiting well over a year for a repair on my tumble drier, I decided to just get the issue over and grudgingly took the replacement offer for £99, I did try to get it for free but they wouldn't budge.
    So the new one I chose was delivered and unpacked by the delivery men and left in my hall way. When I tried to fit it in the space where the old one was it will not fit. This model is a lot bigger than my old one and so I do not want it. I contacted Hotpoint who say they will not exchange it. Yes I know I should have done proper research etc on sizes but I am not sure that dimensions etc was on the website showing the models you can choose, and I now cant log in to see that page as it says "exchange complete" and wont let me go further. I thought under the online selling regs I had 14 days to change my mind. But how does this work with it being part of a safety programme?
    Any clued up legal eagles please help as it seems I am now stuck with an unwanted item. I did explain to them I am only in this situation due to their machines being potential fire hazards and that they should use a bit of goodwill to just get this customer satisfied and off the list so to speak but as usual hotpoint customer services are not very helpful.
    Originally posted by debasur
    You may be entitled to reject it and receive your £99 back. But for obvious reasons you would not get your old dryer back, nor any compensation for it and thus would have to fund the purchase of a new dryer yourself.
    • debasur
    • By debasur 14th Mar 17, 3:07 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    debasur
    But then they still owe me a tumble drier as they have taken my one away.
    • saltrampen
    • By saltrampen 16th Mar 17, 7:20 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    saltrampen
    Update
    Kept trying the link offering replacement dryers and finally managed to order the one I wanted.
    • redfuture
    • By redfuture 16th Mar 17, 9:44 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    redfuture
    Beware of heat pump dryer
    I have a similar problem to debasur in that we payed for a £99 condenser replacement and it is useless to us, the new dryer will not dry the clothes apparently because it is in our garage! I called not hotpoint today and they said they could only replace for the same model and that they do not recommend heat pump tumble dryers to be put in a garage. Nowhere on the website does it state this for the model FTCL871GP. Our old condenser dryer was in the garage and worked a dream until it was recalled. It's ironic that hotpoint recall a dangerous dryer from my detached garage but are telling me the replacement can only be used in the house, surely the danger of a house fire has increased 10 fold! Does anyone know my legal rights to ask for a different model?
    • deanos
    • By deanos 20th Mar 17, 6:16 PM
    • 10,764 Posts
    • 5,528 Thanks
    deanos
    Nowhere on the website does it state this for the model FTCL871GP.
    Originally posted by redfuture
    Says it in the instructions on the website where it can be used

Where to put your dryer

The dryer should be installed in an
    ambient room temperature of between
    20 to 23 ̊C for optimum performance.
    But will function if the room is between
    14 and 30 ̊C
    http://www.hotpoint.co.uk/appliances-1/tumble-dryers-3/hotpoint-aquarius-ftcl-871-gp-tumble-dryer-white/F090101/
    Last edited by deanos; 20-03-2017 at 6:16 PM. Reason: .
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 24th Mar 17, 6:45 AM
    • 2,674 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    Zandoni
    These poorly made Tumble Dryers can catch fire when they are not switched on.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3337090/Why-turning-tumble-dryer-WON-T-stop-burning-house-Homeowners-relate-horror-discovering-appliances-caught-fire-weren-t-on.html
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 24th Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    • 18,651 Posts
    • 15,554 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Old news. Dated November 2015.
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 24th Mar 17, 1:23 PM
    • 2,674 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    Zandoni
    Old news. Dated November 2015.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    Doesn't matter, I was just making people aware of how dangerous these machines can be.
    • richiedc
    • By richiedc 1st Apr 17, 3:02 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    richiedc
    What to do about hotpoint
    I've waited patiently for a tumble drier fix since November 2015.

Eventually was offered an appointment in Feb 17. Tookday unpaid leave and the engineer did not turn up. Phone number and address all correct. Stayed in all day

Complained via the terrible customer service and they said all they can do is rebook the fix. That was yesterday, I took another days unpaid leave and again they didn't turn up

Registered the complaint again. And they want to rebook. Clearly I am not going to do this, why would be the best course of action now??
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 1st Apr 17, 3:43 PM
    • 18,651 Posts
    • 15,554 Thanks
    wealdroam
    I've waited patiently for a tumble drier fix since November 2015.

Eventually was offered an appointment in Feb 17. Tookday unpaid leave and the engineer did not turn up. Phone number and address all correct. Stayed in all day

Complained via the terrible customer service and they said all they can do is rebook the fix. That was yesterday, I took another days unpaid leave and again they didn't turn up

Registered the complaint again. And they want to rebook. Clearly I am not going to do this, why would be the best course of action now??
    Originally posted by richiedc
    First thing you should do is read MSE's Failed Delivery article.

The subtitle to that guide is 'If I waste a day, you'll pay'.

Although that article seems to concentrate on deliveries, the same principle applies to your situation.

You may need to put your point of view forcefully, after all, they may not want to volunteer compensation.
    • i8toys
    • By i8toys 18th Apr 17, 12:52 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    i8toys
    Replacement Hotpoint Tumble Drier a FIRE HAZARD
    My replacement Hotpoint Aqauaius (TVFS 83 CGP) tumble drier has developed a fire hazard problem 2 weeks before its 1st birthday!

The machine did not work this morning. No fuses had tripped so I went to check the fuse, but could not pull the plug out. After much persuasion, the plug came out to reveal extensive charing around the live pin and also around the corresponding socket.

I have phoned up Whirlpool and the engineer is coming out tomorrow to survey this new development!

Just to recap; This is one of the replacement tumble driers they sold me for £59!

I am a little concerned what damage could have been done to my wiring.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 18th Apr 17, 1:17 PM
    • 18,651 Posts
    • 15,554 Thanks
    wealdroam
    My replacement Hotpoint Aqauaius (TVFS 83 CGP) tumble drier has developed a fire hazard problem 2 weeks before its 1st birthday!

The machine did not work this morning. No fuses had tripped so I went to check the fuse, but could not pull the plug out. After much persuasion, the plug came out to reveal extensive charing around the live pin and also around the corresponding socket.

I have phoned up Whirlpool and the engineer is coming out tomorrow to survey this new development!

Just to recap; This is one of the replacement tumble driers they sold me for £59!

I am a little concerned what damage could have been done to my wiring.
    Originally posted by i8toys
    Sounds to me that it is possible that it it the socket that could be faulty rather than the plug on the appliance.

Of course, without inspection it is impossible to say whether it is the socket or the appliance at fault.

You are right to get it inspected, but you are wrong to assume at this stage that Hotpoint/Whirlpool are to blame.

I wonder if the Hotpoint/Whirlpool engineer will charge for the callout if your socket is at fault?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,624Posts Today

7,327Users online

Martin's Twitter