Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dan83
    • By Dan83 2nd Mar 16, 8:28 PM
    • 635Posts
    • 256Thanks
    Dan83
    M&S bank
    • 2nd Mar 16, 8:28 PM
    M&S bank 2nd Mar 16 at 8:28 PM
    For those who didn't know, M&S have a switch offer of upto £220.

I applied for an account last night, checked my email today and I've been declined an account.

I've opened 10+ accounts with various banks since mid Dec and this is my 1st refusal.

Think maybe it's time to bring my account opening to a halt.
Page 3
    • Mannanan
    • By Mannanan 20th Aug 16, 2:21 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mannanan
    Opened mine just for the 6% saver which is now looking a smart move along with my HSBC and FD ones. Like others, would never have it as my main account as the secure key thing drives me mad. The £100 gift card was a bonus and yes, you can spend it online. I spent it all on alcohol and had it delivered to my door. Lazy but nice.
    • djpailo
    • By djpailo 20th Aug 16, 7:39 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    djpailo
    Opened mine just for the 6% saver which is now looking a smart move along with my HSBC and FD ones. Like others, would never have it as my main account as the secure key thing drives me mad. The £100 gift card was a bonus and yes, you can spend it online. I spent it all on alcohol and had it delivered to my door. Lazy but nice.
    Originally posted by Mannanan
    I had an application accepted too. Do you have to ring them to switch?
    • Mannanan
    • By Mannanan 20th Aug 16, 8:45 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mannanan
    I seem to remember I had to phone to make the switch after I had opened my 1st Current Account online. However, I had to wait until the switch date was completed before I could apply for the Regular Saver and that could only be done by phoning them on, or after, the switch date.
    • Blue_Max
    • By Blue_Max 21st Aug 16, 1:55 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    Blue_Max
    Switching Bonus. Once only?
    First Direct for example give switching bonus only to new customers.
    No bonus given if the account is closed and a new application made after few months.
    Is it the same with M&S ?
    Last edited by Blue_Max; 21-08-2016 at 2:11 PM.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 21st Aug 16, 3:44 PM
    • 28,339 Posts
    • 16,141 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    First Direct for example give switching bonus only to new customers.
    No bonus given if the account is closed and a new application made after few months.
    Is it the same with M&S ?
    Originally posted by Blue_Max
    No, it's different.
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 21st Aug 16, 4:26 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    youngretired
    Unlike many banks that state you cannot get the cash incentive if you have previously been given one after a certain date, M&S only state in their T&C's that you are only entitled to 1 gift card regardless of how many accounts you open and switch. Therefore it would depend on if they keep records and have a way of finding out if you have previously been rewarded.
    • Nationwide8
    • By Nationwide8 23rd Aug 16, 8:21 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Nationwide8
    Unlike many banks that state you cannot get the cash incentive if you have previously been given one after a certain date, M&S only state in their T&C's that you are only entitled to 1 gift card regardless of how many accounts you open and switch. Therefore it would depend on if they keep records and have a way of finding out if you have previously been rewarded.
    Originally posted by youngretired
    Has anyone managed to switch two accounts to M&S and get two gift cards ???
    Have a current account to get the Regular Saver,don't think I could open another current acc and get another Gift card ??
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 23rd Aug 16, 8:57 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    youngretired
    I very much doubt you would be able to get another gift card being a active customer or a previous customer if you read their T&C's.

But if you have used up all the other cash incentives out there, then you don't lose anything all they might say is NO.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 28th Sep 16, 3:22 PM
    • 19,203 Posts
    • 10,913 Thanks
    xylophone
    It's not any old account - it's an M&S current account (imagine the music along the words).

You are absolutely right, they do not make it exceedingly easy to earn the £100 switching bonus.
    26 days having passed since applying, I've finally received ( and activated) the debit card, pin has just arrived - still waiting for secure key ( and code to enable use) which will permit internet banking.

Then on to the switching process - another phone call, another letter, another confirmation to post and then yet another telephone call to set up regular saver.....aargh!

How long, O Lord, how long.....
    • Gary1963
    • By Gary1963 29th Sep 16, 2:12 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Gary1963
    I know how you feel....it goes on and on and on........the amount of paper they produce could rebuild a rainforest

I was in a M&S which has a branch. I asked if there was any chance of the App being brought into the 21st century!!
    • skyepark
    • By skyepark 29th Sep 16, 11:01 AM
    • 404 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    skyepark
    Ita terrible how these banks are allowed to operate i have just requested the switich, coop and m&s in the same day lets see who is quicker.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 29th Sep 16, 11:09 AM
    • 8,147 Posts
    • 6,643 Thanks
    colsten
    Ita terrible how these banks are allowed to operate i have just requested the switich, coop and m&s in the same day lets see who is quicker.
    Originally posted by skyepark
    What is terrible about it, and how would you change it?
    • Mannanan
    • By Mannanan 29th Sep 16, 12:13 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mannanan
    I agree, you have to work at it, but only a little bit. At the end of it I had the £100 gift card and the saver at 6% so no complaints from me. Looking ahead for the next year, you may well find yourself having to work a lot harder to find interest, so this really is a gift horse.
    • Dan83
    • By Dan83 29th Sep 16, 11:29 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    Dan83
    I've re-applied and been accepted.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 30th Sep 16, 12:15 AM
    • 3,501 Posts
    • 1,047 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    Enjoy the return of old fashioned banking.
    If you are really lucky, they will send you a £30 Cheque guarantee card.

I've re-applied and been accepted.
    Originally posted by Dan83
    Last edited by Heng Leng; 30-09-2016 at 12:20 AM.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 11th Oct 16, 9:06 PM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    Ballard
    I applied for an M&S account and the card arrived a week or so later. I have since rang them to activate the debit card. My first call was put through to the credit card department and they transferred me to the correct area. The guy was very helpful but I got cut off and he rang me back.

After arranging to switch an account he had to transfer me to someone else so that I could set up a security pin. I got cut off. I rang back. I was transferred to someone and I could hear chatter in the background but they couldn't hear me and weren't even talking to me so presumably didn't know that I was hanging on. I've had enough for tonight so will try again tomorrow.

I do hope that this isn't their usual standard of service.
    I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened it and read it. It said they were suckers.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 12th Oct 16, 12:13 PM
    • 4,266 Posts
    • 3,480 Thanks
    badger09
    I applied for an M&S account and the card arrived a week or so later. I have since rang them to activate the debit card. My first call was put through to the credit card department and they transferred me to the correct area. The guy was very helpful but I got cut off and he rang me back.

After arranging to switch an account he had to transfer me to someone else so that I could set up a security pin. I got cut off. I rang back. I was transferred to someone and I could hear chatter in the background but they couldn't hear me and weren't even talking to me so presumably didn't know that I was hanging on. I've had enough for tonight so will try again tomorrow.

I do hope that this isn't their usual standard of service.
    Originally posted by Ballard

This isn't just customer service, its M&S customer service
    • Gary1963
    • By Gary1963 15th Oct 16, 9:12 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Gary1963
    How long does the Gift card take to arrive?
    • littlemissbossy
    • By littlemissbossy 16th Oct 16, 11:44 AM
    • 606 Posts
    • 1,542 Thanks
    littlemissbossy
    How long does the Gift card take to arrive?
    Originally posted by Gary1963
    I applied on 27th August..... a small rain forest later, the gift card arrived on 7th Oct.
    Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it.
    • marbella
    • By marbella 18th Oct 16, 12:35 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    marbella
    Can I open a current account in the M&S Store Bank?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,389Posts Today

6,830Users online

Martin's Twitter