Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HappyGuy
    • By HappyGuy 2nd Mar 16, 2:16 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 2Thanks
    HappyGuy
    Someone else signed up to ClearScore using my credentials
    • 2nd Mar 16, 2:16 PM
    Someone else signed up to ClearScore using my credentials 2nd Mar 16 at 2:16 PM
    I have recently been keeping a close eye on my credit score using Equifax. I ended my subscription in January as it costs quite a bit but the service wasn't up to much. Yesterday I was looking at alternative credit scoring companies and found ClearScore. It has good reviews and even found a thread on MSE - largely pretty good comments. Best of all it is free.

I tried to sign up, passed the security questions but was then told another user had already signed up with my details. Quite concerned about this I contacted ClearScore. They emailed me back earlier today telling me someone else signed up to their service using my credentials in February (only last month) and that this person passed the security questions about me. As I had flagged the issue, they have immediately locked the both accounts and asked for proof of my identity (which I have now sent).

I am really concerned about the whole situation. ClearScore do not appear to have a telephone number on their website - which I think is strange for a company registered with the Financial Conduct Authority. Does anyone have any experience in this kind of thing? Or have any suggestions on what I should be doing next...?! I presume ClearScore will resolve the issue at their end however now someone has all of my credit history details which is surely puts my identity at significant risk.

Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by HappyGuy; 02-03-2016 at 2:43 PM. Reason: Got the ClearScore name wrong. Sorry!
Page 2
    • Lumanous
    • By Lumanous 29th Aug 16, 8:58 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Lumanous
    This happened to me too. Clearscore were slow to respond, they blocked the other account but were not helpful otherwise. They completely played down the fact they had released sensitive financial information to a stranger and wouldn't explain or take any responsibility. Surely there is more we can do about this.

I still have never had access to my clearscore account. I'm going to try to raise a complaint, they should never have released details to someone else. I don't hold much hope though.

If I hadn't tried to sign up I would never have known someone was getting my info.. Really is unacceptable :/ glad to know i I'm not the only one but it is really bad...

No, my username is not a typo
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 29th Aug 16, 4:16 PM
    • 25,866 Posts
    • 10,296 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I wonder if everyone thats had an alternate account opened in their name have been an equifax user previously?

Not fraud just an account issue with someone signing up twice with different usernames?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • elle may
    • By elle may 30th Aug 16, 11:42 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    elle may
    Signed up to clear score, noticed some information not as good as noodle. But i was more worried that according to them i was not on the electoral role. Give them their due i used their complaint to equifax and a few days later and they had given me a reply.

Only trouble the link to their page to a set up account, to keep track of my complaint and give details of when i gone onto the E role would not let me in no matter what i did. So i will have to see if my monthly report has been updated with this, if not i will complain again and have to make sure i am on the main one. Never had credit declined so i hope this is clearscore's mistake.
    • Stalkwalkers
    • By Stalkwalkers 11th Oct 17, 8:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stalkwalkers
    Well. It seems as though this is still an issue.

Clearscore allowed a fraudster to set up an account under my name in June 2017.

I was subsequently a victim of id fraud. Someone purchasing equipment through Currys with nothing more than a bank statement. Could have been a fake one for all I know.

We also just found out my wife also had an account set up.

They were very quick to resolve and lock the account, but from their defensive reply trying to convince of their security measures, it sounds as though this is a stock response, and a common one.

ID fraud seems to be very easy for criminals in the UK at the moment. Cifas registration is great, but it still relies on lenders to take notice of it. And those lenders are often fronted as salesman wanting to make a sale.

Sad thing is that lenders don’t even seem to bother to chase those who commit ID fraud and have fleeced them, as they outsource the finance, who have pre-budgeted for a certain loss to this.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 11th Oct 17, 9:35 PM
    • 5,271 Posts
    • 4,910 Thanks
    eddddy
    Sad thing is that lenders don’t even seem to bother to chase those who commit ID fraud and have fleeced them, as they outsource the finance, who have pre-budgeted for a certain loss to this.
    Originally posted by Stalkwalkers
    As you suggest, it's a business decision.

If a finance company estimates that it would cost £150k to improve their anti-fraud measures which would reduce fraud by £100k, they prefer to save £50k by just letting the £100k of fraud happen.

That's also why the police don't take too much interest. Their view is that if finance companies choose to save money by not cracking down on fraud, they shouldn't expect the police to investigate the resulting fraud for free.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,192Posts Today

7,471Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin