Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 22nd Feb 16, 10:23 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Bristol Energy Reviews: Give your feedback
    • 22nd Feb 16, 10:23 AM
    Bristol Energy Reviews: Give your feedback 22nd Feb 16 at 10:23 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Bristol Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 4:57 PM.
Page 4
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 5th Aug 17, 3:32 PM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 2,987 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Silly question time
    I've just been looking at the Bristol Energy 1 Year Fix Issue 15 (Paper Billing) tariff as it has come up as one of the cheapest. The Bristol website details say the tariff has "No cancellation fee. Fixed for 12 months".

Looking for the catch (why have a fixed term you can exit with no penalty??) I've had a look at their terms and conditions which state:
    9.1 If your Contract with Us has a Fixed Term Period and You terminate your Fixed Term Tariff by switching to another supplier during the Fixed Term Period but prior to your receipt of the Statement of Renewal Terms in relation to that Fixed Term Tariff from Us, You may at Our discretion be required to pay an Exit Fee.
    https://www.bristol-energy.co.uk/terms-and-conditions
    So at their discretion you may be required to pay an exit fee... in which case are 'cancellation charges' the same as an 'exit fee'?

Is it the case that they have the discretion to charge an exit fee generally on fixed tariffs, but in the case of this particular tariff they are stating (in a contracturally binding way) that they will not be exercising that discretion?

I'm looking for the cheapest dual-fuel tariff which has the flexibility to switch again within the next 12 months.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • tillylil
    • By tillylil 23rd Aug 17, 9:07 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tillylil
    I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole
    Originally posted by Nathan94
    Why? Please give more details.
    • JourneyH
    • By JourneyH 23rd Aug 17, 9:24 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    JourneyH
    Hiya, I switched to them and although the switch was messed up by my current supplier the customer service has been fine, apart from having to often call them!. The automated side is useless, not using the readings, then because it was so far out saying the meter was faulty...the problem now is the meter company are saying I have used three times the amount, I didn't take a reading before it was changed but three days before...so now it's a case 'it is right' 'it isn't right' back and forward...I had hoped to move out the property which has shared bills with other tenants.....I think I will have to prepare for the long haul as it is more than I can afford to pay....
    • Raine E Day
    • By Raine E Day 12th Sep 17, 1:07 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    Raine E Day
    As I have economy 7 metre I need supplier willing to total up for 'normal' tariff. My query was not understood and the emailed reply stated that yes, they could supply Economy 7. My doubts about switching to them now magnified, I spelt it out in black and white again and I can confirm they are not willing to do this.

"...we will not be able to add up the Economy 7 rates into one single rate tariff. The only solution that we would be able to do is to replace your meter which there would be a cost attached to for changing the meter from Economy 7 to a single rate meter"

I think it would be useful if this information be posted on CEC switching - I noticed it on one of the others on my list.
    “Rain drops are not the ones who bring the clouds.”
    • dimetime2
    • By dimetime2 20th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    dimetime2
    Easy switch - No problems
    Just switched to Bristol Energy as it was the lowest cost provider that I was prepared to consider with a reasonable feedback.

I'm glad to report that the switch was faultless and completed in 3 weeks (including the 2 weeks cooling off period). The whole process was completed online/email. I also had to make a telephone call on a matter and the phone was answered promptly.

Based on my experience, I would recommend switching to this supplier.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 20th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    Another new Bristol Energy gas customer here, completed on the 19th.

Everything went to plan and on the dates specified by Bristol at the outset. So 21 days to switch which is reasonable.

All communication has been via emails and all details correct. No need to contact them at all. Opening reading was accepted and verified within 24 hours.

So now just waiting for the losing gas supplier to produce the final bill and send me the monies owed to me. Let's see how fast they are (Flow).
    • Leon W
    • By Leon W 20th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    • 1,657 Posts
    • 1,106 Thanks
    Leon W
    No problems here.

Switch over all completed online and no need to call. Very good so far.

• Magenta
    • By Magenta 21st Sep 17, 7:47 PM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 5,718 Thanks
    Magenta
    I am now coming to the end of my fixed contract (1 year) with Bristol Energy and can say that they have been faultless, never had a problem with them.
    Saying that I have just changed to another supplier, I only have electricity and found that for me they had better rates.
    But may well change back to Bristol at the end of this new contract!
    Magenta
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 21st Sep 17, 8:31 PM
    • 4,191 Posts
    • 2,436 Thanks
    Hengus
    It will be interesting to see whether the Council taxpayers of Bristol will be happy to sit back and wait for a return on their £15.3M investment in Bristol Energy. The ‘in profit’ date has already slipped from 2019 to 2021.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

191Posts Today

1,514Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin