Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 22nd Feb 16, 10:23 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Bristol Energy Reviews: Give your feedback
    • 22nd Feb 16, 10:23 AM
    Bristol Energy Reviews: Give your feedback 22nd Feb 16 at 10:23 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Bristol Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 4:57 PM.
Page 4
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 5th Aug 17, 3:32 PM
    • 2,850 Posts
    • 5,108 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Silly question time
    I've just been looking at the Bristol Energy 1 Year Fix Issue 15 (Paper Billing) tariff as it has come up as one of the cheapest. The Bristol website details say the tariff has "No cancellation fee. Fixed for 12 months".

Looking for the catch (why have a fixed term you can exit with no penalty??) I've had a look at their terms and conditions which state:
    9.1 If your Contract with Us has a Fixed Term Period and You terminate your Fixed Term Tariff by switching to another supplier during the Fixed Term Period but prior to your receipt of the Statement of Renewal Terms in relation to that Fixed Term Tariff from Us, You may at Our discretion be required to pay an Exit Fee.
    https://www.bristol-energy.co.uk/terms-and-conditions
    So at their discretion you may be required to pay an exit fee... in which case are 'cancellation charges' the same as an 'exit fee'?

Is it the case that they have the discretion to charge an exit fee generally on fixed tariffs, but in the case of this particular tariff they are stating (in a contracturally binding way) that they will not be exercising that discretion?

I'm looking for the cheapest dual-fuel tariff which has the flexibility to switch again within the next 12 months.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • tillylil
    • By tillylil 23rd Aug 17, 9:07 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    tillylil
    I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole
    Originally posted by Nathan94
    Why? Please give more details.
    • JourneyH
    • By JourneyH 23rd Aug 17, 9:24 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    JourneyH
    Hiya, I switched to them and although the switch was messed up by my current supplier the customer service has been fine, apart from having to often call them!. The automated side is useless, not using the readings, then because it was so far out saying the meter was faulty...the problem now is the meter company are saying I have used three times the amount, I didn't take a reading before it was changed but three days before...so now it's a case 'it is right' 'it isn't right' back and forward...I had hoped to move out the property which has shared bills with other tenants.....I think I will have to prepare for the long haul as it is more than I can afford to pay....
    • Raine E Day
    • By Raine E Day 12th Sep 17, 1:07 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    Raine E Day
    As I have economy 7 metre I need supplier willing to total up for 'normal' tariff. My query was not understood and the emailed reply stated that yes, they could supply Economy 7. My doubts about switching to them now magnified, I spelt it out in black and white again and I can confirm they are not willing to do this.

"...we will not be able to add up the Economy 7 rates into one single rate tariff. The only solution that we would be able to do is to replace your meter which there would be a cost attached to for changing the meter from Economy 7 to a single rate meter"

I think it would be useful if this information be posted on CEC switching - I noticed it on one of the others on my list.
    “Rain drops are not the ones who bring the clouds.”
    • dimetime2
    • By dimetime2 20th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    dimetime2
    Easy switch - No problems
    Just switched to Bristol Energy as it was the lowest cost provider that I was prepared to consider with a reasonable feedback.

I'm glad to report that the switch was faultless and completed in 3 weeks (including the 2 weeks cooling off period). The whole process was completed online/email. I also had to make a telephone call on a matter and the phone was answered promptly.

Based on my experience, I would recommend switching to this supplier.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 20th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    • 707 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    Another new Bristol Energy gas customer here, completed on the 19th.

Everything went to plan and on the dates specified by Bristol at the outset. So 21 days to switch which is reasonable.

All communication has been via emails and all details correct. No need to contact them at all. Opening reading was accepted and verified within 24 hours.

So now just waiting for the losing gas supplier to produce the final bill and send me the monies owed to me. Let's see how fast they are (Flow).
    • Leon W
    • By Leon W 20th Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    • 1,657 Posts
    • 1,107 Thanks
    Leon W
    No problems here.

Switch over all completed online and no need to call. Very good so far.

• Magenta
    • By Magenta 21st Sep 17, 7:47 PM
    • 2,024 Posts
    • 5,723 Thanks
    Magenta
    I am now coming to the end of my fixed contract (1 year) with Bristol Energy and can say that they have been faultless, never had a problem with them.
    Saying that I have just changed to another supplier, I only have electricity and found that for me they had better rates.
    But may well change back to Bristol at the end of this new contract!
    Magenta
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 21st Sep 17, 8:31 PM
    • 4,517 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    Hengus
    It will be interesting to see whether the Council taxpayers of Bristol will be happy to sit back and wait for a return on their £15.3M investment in Bristol Energy. The ‘in profit’ date has already slipped from 2019 to 2021.
    • olic
    • By olic 25th Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    olic
    I have been with Bristol Energy for the past year and they've been brilliant - no issues at all!
    It just came around to renewal and I have decided to stay with them, but did switch to the cheapest recommended contract (via MSE) for the coming year, as the default contract I was switched to wasn't the cheapest available.
    Dubstep & Drum n Bass Mixes from Youngsta & more
    • Brightpaw
    • By Brightpaw 25th Sep 17, 11:48 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Brightpaw
    Bristol Energy
    Just a quick note on Bristol Energy as I have been with them for nearly a year now and have to say I've had no issues what so ever and my energy bill are the lowest they have ever been. Took a while to switch from BG but that was more to do with BG I think. I don't get no calls from them or letters which is fine by me and I probably spend around 20-25 a month for both my gas and electricity on a meter while living in a 3 bed town house with 2 kids. Beat that British Gas!!!
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 26th Sep 17, 12:16 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    Just a quick note on Bristol Energy as I have been with them for nearly a year now and have to say I've had no issues what so ever and my energy bill are the lowest they have ever been. Took a while to switch from BG but that was more to do with BG I think. I don't get no calls from them or letters which is fine by me and I probably spend around 20-25 a month for both my gas and electricity on a meter while living in a 3 bed town house with 2 kids. Beat that British Gas!!!
    Originally posted by Brightpaw
    When you get round to giving them meter readings I guess you might see an increase in how much you pay !
    • Silverfox1954
    • By Silverfox1954 9th Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Silverfox1954
    Bristol Energy Service
    I recently switched to Bristol Energy, Paperless Issue 7 Tariff. The switch went as smooth as clockwork, the staff I communicated with by email could not have been more helpful, that goes for Daisy Fox and Tore, can't recall his surname, and yes it is a 'He'. The people you deal with are IN THIS COUNTRY and they are able to communicate using PERFECT ENGLISH, other companies TAKE NOTE! After one month I did another comparison on Cheap Energy Club and it advised me that issue 8 with Bristol Energy was cheaper. This I advised B Energy and the lady that replied did not agree, stating that the Issue 7 was cheaper. Two weeks later I did another comparison with the same result. When I advised B Energy Daisy Fox advised that I was correct and that the info I had previously been given was incorrect. Daisy switched me to Issue 8 and back dated it to when I first mentioned that tariff. They are human, can make errors, can't we all, but they rectified it quickly. If other companies operated like this, not just energy companies, England would have a far superior business sector. WELL DONE BRISTOL ENERGY, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! FIVE STAR+ RATING. TAKE NOTE EDF!
    • Xenon
    • By Xenon 9th Oct 17, 5:47 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Xenon
    I was with Bristol Energy for a year (Paperless Issue 13 Tariff) with no problems - they helped sort out a mess left by my previous supplier Scottish Power regarding a wrong meter serial number.
    I left them for Ebico as the standing charge more than doubled and i am a low electric user (850 kw per year)
    • harrym1byt
    • By harrym1byt 13th Oct 17, 10:00 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    harrym1byt
    Smart meters question
    Can BE make use of the already installed smart meters I have please?
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 14th Oct 17, 9:13 AM
    • 707 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    No.
    https://www.bristol-energy.co.uk/faq-questions-top#n415 section "Do you offer smart meters?"
    You can keep your smart meter if you already have one but we’ll require manual meter reads in the meantime.
    This is the same for nearly ever supplier. Smart meters will probably only work with the original supplier for the foreseeable future.
    • martyp
    • By martyp 21st Oct 17, 11:45 AM
    • 689 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    martyp
    Experience so far after over a month
    I switched to Bristol Energy from Zog last month online. The online account was set up quickly and seems to be very reliable so far with no availability issues from my experience. The opening meter read request came through in good time and the first direct debit has gone out no problem.
    I didn't have any reason to call them until this morning as they requested a new reading and their estimate was 1 unit higher than my actual today. Basically they took my opening reading 5 days before the actual switch date so applied an estimate which is fair enough.
    I called this morning (Saturday) and was 2nd in the queue for an advisor and when I got through the advisor was very pleasant, helpful and clear to understand and apologised for the wait which was minimal really considering it's a Saturday and they're a small company (less than a minute). He resolved my queries and ensured all the information was correct and advised when the next bill would be.
    I'm only new to them so can't comment on long term or leaving experiences etc. but so far they get a thumbs up for me
    • Guy S
    • By Guy S 21st Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Guy S
    Please note the WarmHome Discount ONLY applies to the CORE GROUP (pension benefits) NOT the BROADER GROUP (Disability, Tax Credits or ESA/JSA benefits).
    • Philflyer
    • By Philflyer 7th Nov 17, 2:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Philflyer
    Just renewed for a 2nd year
    I joined the Cheap Energy Club last year and, as a consequence, started using Bristol Energy as my supplier of both Gas and Electricity in October 2016. The changeover from British Gas went smoothly and my bill was £20 a month cheaper. Bristol Energy need you to read your meters and enter the information on their website every month at about the same time. A reminder pops up in your email a couple of days before it’s required and the entry is easy and quick after you’ve logged in. I’ve phoned them a few times with minor queries and have been answered within a minute by someone who was pleasant and easy to understand. When a change was needed to my direct debit an email informed me 2 weeks before it was to happen. All good, but the most impressive part of the whole service was 3 reminders that the years contract was due to expire, then 2 weeks ago a suggested new plan to continue for another year. All other suppliers I have been with have automatically put me on their “Standard” tariff after the year ends which is always a big jump in price. Bristol offer their cheapest tariff. I checked it using the Cheap Energy Club lists. It was £4 a month more than the cheapest and the same as I am paying with Bristol now. No increase and fixed for a year! The cheaper firms all had some rider – they had bad reviews or their service was unknown, slow, poor etc. I consider the extra cost to be worth it having had such good service. This company has been the best energy supplier of the 5 I have had.
    Last edited by Philflyer; 07-11-2017 at 2:21 PM. Reason: Title and correction
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,225Users online

Martin's Twitter