Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tom The Great Sebastian
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 21st Feb 16, 2:41 PM
    • 767Posts
    • 806Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    SSAS to SIPP
    • 21st Feb 16, 2:41 PM
    SSAS to SIPP 21st Feb 16 at 2:41 PM
    I have a dormant SSAS worth around £50,000.
    Is it possible to open up a Sipp and transfer this policy into it ?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 21st Feb 16, 3:17 PM
    • 18,459 Posts
    • 10,386 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 21st Feb 16, 3:17 PM
    • 21st Feb 16, 3:17 PM
    http://adviser.royallondon.com/pensions/technical-central/information-guidance/investment/ssas-versus-sipp/

http://www.mwpensions.co.uk/handouts/SIPP%20-%20transfers%20in.pdf

http://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/2011/12/06/your-money/pensions-and-sipps/how-to-choose-a-sipp-provider-QDORRx7hIfl1o4ftOHk1XM/article.html

The answer appears to be yes but if certain assets are involved may have to be a full SIPP.
    • CranfordsPensions
    • By CranfordsPensions 8th Jun 16, 4:11 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CranfordsPensions
    • 8th Jun 16, 4:11 PM
    • 8th Jun 16, 4:11 PM
    May i ask what are your reasons for doing it? Doesn't SSAS give you all the advantages of SIPP and more?
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 5th Aug 16, 7:48 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    • 5th Aug 16, 7:48 PM
    • 5th Aug 16, 7:48 PM
    May i ask what are your reasons for doing it? Doesn't SSAS give you all the advantages of SIPP and more?
    Originally posted by CranfordsPensions
    I control the investments and,of course,I can withdraw 25% tax free neither of which I can do with an SSAS.
    A third reason is the SSAS is with Scottish Widows and even after six months Hargreaves Lansdown are still trying to get the money off them.
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 27th Aug 16, 8:51 AM
    • 767 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    • 27th Aug 16, 8:51 AM
    • 27th Aug 16, 8:51 AM
    Well it finally came through and I now have 60K cash in a SIPP with not much of a clue what to do with it.

The money isn't an integral part of my retirement planning but I wouldn't mind having a bit of fun with it buying and selling shares.

Fact is with the market near record highs it doesn't seem a very good time to plunge in buying stuff.

Any suggestions ?
    • maximumgardener
    • By maximumgardener 27th Aug 16, 11:59 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    maximumgardener
    • 27th Aug 16, 11:59 AM
    • 27th Aug 16, 11:59 AM
    you could spend it or Invest it !!!

not much point in having it all sit in cash, IMO.

all hinges on your attitude to risk.

if you fancy a punt you could put 40K into say 3 or 4 decent funds in an ISA or within a Pension fund and use the balance 20K more speculatively???

you call!
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 27th Aug 16, 10:19 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    • 27th Aug 16, 10:19 PM
    • 27th Aug 16, 10:19 PM
    Well it's only been cash for a week or two but even investing in funds right now is it really wise when the market is so high or am I better off waiting for another post-Brexit style correction before plunging it.

Ideally I'm interested in buying Blue Chip companies that are currently trading at well below their historic levels but which remain good long-term prospects.

I'm not that keen on funds - so many of them don't appear to even keep up with bog-standard trackers.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 28th Aug 16, 12:32 AM
    • 1,956 Posts
    • 2,060 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 28th Aug 16, 12:32 AM
    • 28th Aug 16, 12:32 AM
    I control the investments and,of course,I can withdraw 25% tax free neither of which I can do with an SSAS.
    A third reason is the SSAS is with Scottish Widows and even after six months Hargreaves Lansdown are still trying to get the money off them.
    Originally posted by Tom The Great Sebastian
    News to me, I was under the impression you could withdraw 100% of a S&S ISA tax free.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 28th Aug 16, 12:56 AM
    • 84,116 Posts
    • 49,102 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 28th Aug 16, 12:56 AM
    • 28th Aug 16, 12:56 AM
    Dont mix up an S&S ISA with a SSAS. The latter is a niche type of pension used by a very small minority of the population.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 21st Sep 16, 8:11 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    I horsed into Majestic wines today.Their share price dropped 25% on profit warnings but the company is well-established with some good retail spots and everyone drinks wine.
    • BookerTee
    • By BookerTee 21st Sep 16, 8:46 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    BookerTee
    Originally posted by Tom The Great Sebastian
    The whole point of a SSAS is they are way more flexible in terms of investments and yes you can take 25% out tax free at 55.
    • ukpoker
    • By ukpoker 22nd Sep 16, 2:32 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ukpoker
    Stick the lot on J.D Sports.

I don't think you'll go far wrong short, medium or long term
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,504Posts Today

6,092Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @PapaSlavs: @MartinSLewis hi, how much per month should I typically charge my daughter board & lodgings now she's left uni and become an?

• RT @EssexHebridean: 13 years, 2 months and 6 days after taking it out, we've just paid the final lump sum off our mortgage. #MortgageFree @?

• Many first time buyers panicked about Help to Buy mortgage guarantee ending, here's my video on what it really mean? https://t.co/uGD6sG4hvl

• Follow Martin