Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • unclearengineer
    • By unclearengineer 17th Feb 16, 2:52 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 4Thanks
    unclearengineer
    Curve Card
    • 17th Feb 16, 2:52 PM
    Curve Card 17th Feb 16 at 2:52 PM
    Official MoneySavingExpert Insert Jan 2018:

Hi everyone, you may like to read ourNew Curve card claims to be 'the only card you need to carry' - but here's what to watch out for news story.

Back to unclearengineer's original post...

----

I saw a new "Curve Card" advertised and reviewed.

From what I gather, for £35 you get a pre paid Mastercard connected to your other credit cards which you then use and can select (from an app) which of your original cards is charged.

The benefits are that you can use your AMEX card anywhere now (and hopefully get the cashback),

My question is this: As it is a pre paid card, is it still subject to the credit card fee you get charged when using a credit card in some places (like paying for road tax online, for example), or are you not charged at all, as if you had used your debit card?

For the one off fee I am tempted if it means I can use AMEX anywhere, as I can then get rid of my standard Credit Card that pays less in cash back, and also use it to pay for things like insurance without the AMEX fee (obviously paying off the balance at the end of the month and taking the cash back).

Any other thought on it?
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-01-2018 at 9:44 AM.
Page 12
    • rail.link
    • By rail.link 8th Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    rail.link
    No support for Amex currently.

Anybody selected and used the Rewards card ?
    Not sure how that function works.
    • tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 8th Feb 18, 8:13 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    tastyhog
    No support for Amex currently.

Anybody selected and used the Rewards card ?
    Not sure how that function works.
    Originally posted by rail.link
    Just use it as you would a normal card.

Buy shopping up to the value of your points balance, pay with the card and your points balance will be reduced
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 9th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    Anthorn
    I would be interested to learn from experienced Curvers whether the card linked to via curve is masked. i.e. if I use a curve card does the receipt show the plastic card as Curve or as the card linked to via Curve?

For example when I use Apple Pay the card used via Apple Pay is shown on the receipt and not Apple Pay itself. i.e. I look at my Iceland receipts where I used Apple Pay and I see, "Plastic Cards amount spent MID PIID Debit MasterCard." The effect is that my local Lidl doesn't accept credit cards so will not accept Apple Pay linked to a credit card and my local Wilko doesn't accept Amex contactless and so won't accept Apple Pay linked to Amex.
    • NFH
    • By NFH 9th Feb 18, 4:13 PM
    • 4,310 Posts
    • 1,412 Thanks
    NFH
    I would be interested to learn from experienced Curvers whether the card linked to via curve is masked. i.e. if I use a curve card does the receipt show the plastic card as Curve or as the card linked to via Curve?
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    The recharging of transactions from your Curve account to the underlying card is invisible to the merchant. The merchant is not made aware of any underlying card.

For example when I use Apple Pay the card used via Apple Pay is shown on the receipt and not Apple Pay itself. i.e.
    When you use Apple Pay, the card number of your physical card doesn't appear but instead another card number by the same card issuer, which is unique to each Apple device that you use (e.g. iPhone, watch etc).
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 9th Feb 18, 4:17 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    Anthorn
    The recharging of transactions from your Curve account to the underlying card is invisible to the merchant. The merchant is not made aware of any underlying card.
    Originally posted by NFH
    So it's "Curve" that is shown on the receipt?
    • NFH
    • By NFH 9th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    • 4,310 Posts
    • 1,412 Thanks
    NFH
    No, not "Curve", but your Curve card number.
    • d123
    • By d123 9th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 6,983 Posts
    • 4,473 Thanks
    d123
    The effect is that my local Lidl doesn't accept credit cards
    ?

Have you queried with Lidl head office why your local Lidl isn’t accepting credit cards?

====
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 9th Feb 18, 6:05 PM
    • 501 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    It just shows Mastercard Debit .... last four numbers of your Curve card...

It's just a Debit Card and is processed by the store as such, so they only know that it's a Mastercard Debit etc. They don't know it's going to be re-charged elsewhere.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 9th Feb 18, 9:54 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    Anthorn
    I'm a little bit suspicious of Curve. When I first applied and loaded the iOS app there were some 47,000 people ahead of me and none behind me. Now barely two days later I have 4,189 people ahead of me and 42,298 people behind me. Are there really that many people wanting a Curve card?
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 11th Feb 18, 2:25 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Got mine coming and they say it's a free black card. The only eyebrow raising bit was Curve identifying the home currency of my Amazon Platinum card issued by Newday as USD which I had to change to GBP. Maybe they need to update their database

The other eyebrow raising bit was this on my credit card:
    Name CRV*Card verification London GBR Amount £1.00 Pending
    Name Credit Amount £-1.00 Pending
    Name CRV*3DS Verification London GBR Amount £1.00 Pending
    Name Credit Amount £-1.00 Pending
    A shame I don't get points just for activity lol
    Last edited by Anthorn; 11-02-2018 at 2:38 PM. Reason: Last paragraph added
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 11th Feb 18, 6:12 PM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    They are refusing to tell me why I have to supply these documents and not a single other person has reported they had to do this, needless to say they refuse to process the application without me uploading the documents.

They say its planned to add the function to the app, as I said its silly if its a requirement why is it not in the app.

I have received no email correspondence from them and cannot even remember what email address I gave them as is no way to view my details.

They keep giving me long url's which I have to type in on my computer and are expired when I try to use them.

Reported to the financial regulators that I am aware off.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 11th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    Anthorn
    They are refusing to tell me why I have to supply these documents and not a single other person has reported they had to do this, needless to say they refuse to process the application without me uploading the documents.

They say its planned to add the function to the app, as I said its silly if its a requirement why is it not in the app.

I have received no email correspondence from them and cannot even remember what email address I gave them as is no way to view my details.

They keep giving me long url's which I have to type in on my computer and are expired when I try to use them.

Reported to the financial regulators that I am aware off.
    Originally posted by Chrysalis
    What documents? My guess is that they cannot verify your ID and address electronically so you have to supply proof.

But financials are prone to the odd unexplained wobbler like my application today to Metro Bank which was declined.

You cannot just complain to financial regulators. You first have to complain to the financial institution and give them a chance to put it right. But financial institutions have the right to decline without reason. A complaint such as mine against Metro Bank that they based their decision purely on my age is in my opinion a valid complaint. But complaining that a financial institution adhered to law by insisting on verifying your identity is again in my opinion ridiculous.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 11th Feb 18, 7:18 PM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    That may be the reason, although I dont know why that would fail given that other financial companies have verified my address fine electronically.

However they have refused to state the reason, refused to even tell me how to check my own details they have on file, refused to say they will destroy the proof of ID evidence to comply with UK data protection laws, and failed to provide me information on how to cancel my application.

Getting declined is very different to whats happening here.

Basically I received no correspondence at all from curve until I initiated it on the ticket system (and it took me a while to find how to send a ticket, there is no contact number. My account may have been stuck in pending status forever, and they decided to take my credit card details for card verification before even approving my curve account. Looking at the regulations for how applications for financial services are supposed to work, curve have failed. Also how they supplied the upload link for ID verification is dubious, having to upload sensitive documents, by first manually typing in the address is risky. The web link is not originating from a trusted source in this case which goes against recommended web security practices.

But I agree I may not have followed the process you supposed to follow before sending a complaint, but since its so difficult to communicate with curve (tickets only), I went ahead.

Also passport is not proof of address, its proof of ID. So this isnt just down to a possible address checkup failure.
    Last edited by Chrysalis; 11-02-2018 at 7:25 PM.
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 12th Feb 18, 2:32 PM
    • 501 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    However they have refused to state the reason, refused to even tell me how to check my own details they have on file, refused to say they will destroy the proof of ID evidence to comply with UK data protection laws, and failed to provide me information on how to cancel my application.
    Under AML (anti-money laundering regulations) they will need to keep said ID on file (not sure how long for, but at least 6 years I'd imagine) so they can confirm to the regulators that they have verified your identity.

The web link is not originating from a trusted source in this case which goes against recommended web security practices.
    What is the domain of the link? Is it SSL (https)?

Why can you not load the link using your phone, rather than type it into your desktop/laptop and upload from your phone?

Giving you will need data to utilize Curve, you will need internet access on your phone so this should be no problem?
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 15th Feb 18, 3:18 PM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    Ok here is an update, a lot has happened since I last posted.

First to answer steven's question.

Since I was getting no email correspondence (I was more on that below), I was accessing their replies in the curve app, web links in the app are not clickable (tappable) links. You also cannot select the text for copy and paste.

I dont know which law trumps the other, as data protection law requires private documents to be wiped within a short time period, as obviously there is a risk of said documents been put into the wrong hands.

So out of nowhere about 2 days ago, they decided to change their stance, the following happened.

1 - Agreed to delete my ID evidence after its used for the verification.
    2 - Agreed to update their website with the missing information, they had already previously acknowledged the app needs updating to allow for the document uploads directly.
    3 - After some security questions provided me with the email address I used to register, I used a throw away account, changed it to a different email address.
    4 - Even before the ID check is completed agreed to take my card out of pending status and it arrived today.
    5 - ID check still required to activate the card but thats already been done now, as finally the upload link worked.
    6 - The reason for the ID check as as was speculated in this thread, my automated ID check for whatever reason failed.

There is still the issue of not been able to login to somewhere, whether its the app or website to check and change contact details.

Can a curve card be used for money laundering? its just a frontend for other payment cards right, so I am not even sure if those laws would apply.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 20th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    Anthorn
    email received today from Curve re. a change in the T&Cs. Of note:
    Debit cards instead of prepaid cards
    New customers are now getting debit cards instead of prepaid cards. While the Curve app and product remain the same, the expected acceptance rate for debit cards is better. Existing customers will receive a debit card as a replacement card if their card is reported lost or stolen. Please note that the card limits applicable to debit cards may be different to those applicable to prepaid cards, as detailed in the Curve app and our FAQ's).
    I foresee lots of Curve prepaid cards being lost or stolen lol
    • d123
    • By d123 20th Feb 18, 1:17 PM
    • 6,983 Posts
    • 4,473 Thanks
    d123

I wonder when the changeover happened, checking the BIN on a card received about 2 weeks ago seems to show it as a debit card already.

BIN: 537590
    Card brand: MASTERCARD
    Card type: DEBIT
    What was the BIN on the older issues?
    ====
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 20th Feb 18, 2:05 PM
    • 4,369 Posts
    • 1,352 Thanks
    Heng Leng

Your foresight is wonky!

I've had Curve for around a year and never had a single issue with it being a 'prepaid' card.

It's been used to Mastercardify a Visa Debit, make a non-contactless card contactless and make impromptu credit card transactions.
    • d123
    • By d123 20th Feb 18, 2:52 PM
    • 6,983 Posts
    • 4,473 Thanks
    d123
    Your foresight is wonky!

I've had Curve for around a year and never had a single issue with it being a 'prepaid' card.

It's been used to Mastercardify a Visa Debit, make a non-contactless card contactless and make impromptu credit card transactions.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    What’s the BIN on your card?
    ====
    • Penelopa.Pitstop
    • By Penelopa.Pitstop 20th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Penelopa.Pitstop
    Your foresight is wonky!

Originally posted by Heng Leng
    You can't use pre-paid on HMRC website. I got Curve to make payments to HMRC using my credit cards and collect points.

Initially got pre-paid card when applied at then end of Jan, but requested debit and got it a couple of days later.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

2,017Users online

Martin's Twitter