Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • unclearengineer
    • By unclearengineer 17th Feb 16, 2:52 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 4Thanks
    unclearengineer
    Curve Card
    • 17th Feb 16, 2:52 PM
    Curve Card 17th Feb 16 at 2:52 PM
    Official MoneySavingExpert Insert Jan 2018:

Hi everyone, you may like to read ourNew Curve card claims to be 'the only card you need to carry' - but here's what to watch out for news story.

Back to unclearengineer's original post...

----

I saw a new "Curve Card" advertised and reviewed.

From what I gather, for £35 you get a pre paid Mastercard connected to your other credit cards which you then use and can select (from an app) which of your original cards is charged.

The benefits are that you can use your AMEX card anywhere now (and hopefully get the cashback),

My question is this: As it is a pre paid card, is it still subject to the credit card fee you get charged when using a credit card in some places (like paying for road tax online, for example), or are you not charged at all, as if you had used your debit card?

For the one off fee I am tempted if it means I can use AMEX anywhere, as I can then get rid of my standard Credit Card that pays less in cash back, and also use it to pay for things like insurance without the AMEX fee (obviously paying off the balance at the end of the month and taking the cash back).

Any other thought on it?
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-01-2018 at 9:44 AM.
Page 11
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 1st Feb 18, 9:06 PM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    Signed up 2 days ago, my card is now on the way. Excited to see how well it goes.
    Originally posted by TheJackah
    So you didnt get this?

"your curve card is currently pending approval"

Seems all a bit of a mess.

No contact number for customer support.

No information on what ""your curve card is currently pending approval" means and how long it should take.

No information on why approval is needed when is no credit been supplied.
    • jcontest
    • By jcontest 2nd Feb 18, 11:24 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    jcontest
    So you didnt get this?

No information on what ""your curve card is currently pending approval" means and how long it should take.

Originally posted by Chrysalis

Mine has been showing the same thing, I signed up on the 23rd and have verified a CreditCard.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 2nd Feb 18, 11:57 AM
    • 2,663 Posts
    • 2,002 Thanks
    Candyapple
    So you didnt get this?

Originally posted by Chrysalis

Does this explain it?
    https://support.imaginecurve.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115000684989-Why-is-my-transaction-pending-or-delayed-

If you log into the app and click on 'Support' on the bottom right, click on 'Managing my account' and then the link 'More questions? Contact us' you can let them know what your problem is and they open a support ticket for you.

I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago and it arrived in 2 days. Have made 2 purchases using it, no problems here thus far.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • eagle
    • By eagle 2nd Feb 18, 12:06 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    eagle
    I didn't get the pending approval bit either. I signed up at the weekend (or maybe earlier this week) and the card arrived yesterday.
    • jcontest
    • By jcontest 2nd Feb 18, 1:21 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    jcontest
    I sent off a request to support and they replied.

"Thanks for getting in touch. I've checked your card order and you are still on the waitlist, currently at position 4430, so this will be why your card order is still pending. "

Perhaps they work off of the Royal Mail sorting system, Last In - First Out.
    • eagle
    • By eagle 2nd Feb 18, 2:02 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    eagle
    Originally posted by jcontest
    Loooool
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 2nd Feb 18, 3:11 PM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    I sent off a request to support and they replied.

"Thanks for getting in touch. I've checked your card order and you are still on the waitlist, currently at position 4430, so this will be why your card order is still pending. "

Originally posted by jcontest
    Very strange company, so people are getting cards straight away, others are not, and there is a misleading message which doesnt tell you that you in a waiting list and you have to contact them to find out.

Now trying to cancel, but seems no easy way. They clearly dont want my business if they decided to put me in a queue whilst others dont have to wait.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 2nd Feb 18, 3:12 PM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    Does this explain it?
    https://support.imaginecurve.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115000684989-Why-is-my-transaction-pending-or-delayed-

If you log into the app and click on 'Support' on the bottom right, click on 'Managing my account' and then the link 'More questions? Contact us' you can let them know what your problem is and they open a support ticket for you.

I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago and it arrived in 2 days. Have made 2 purchases using it, no problems here thus far.
    Originally posted by Candyapple
    No, the card is pending, not a transaction.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 3rd Feb 18, 1:24 PM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    jcontest I got a different reply.

Bit of a joke of a reply tho in my opinion, I am curious if others had to jump through these hoops.

So I installed the app and did what it asked.

So address.
    Verified mobile phone number.
    Added credit card and verified it.

Then as reported above stuck in pending state.

I sent a ticket and have been told I need to upload proof of following (for what is essentially a prepaid card???).

Photo ID, Address

They gave me a long web address to use for the upload, I had to type it out manually on my pc as I couldnt tap it on my phone.

Then greeted with this, they only gave me the link yesterday.

Session expired
    The ID verification process must be completed within a certain amount of time. Unfortunately, you have exceeded this time limit
    So I have replied again asking.

1 - Why the app didnt ask for this information.
    2 - Why is there no facility in the app to upload these documents.
    3 - Why do they require this much information, they not supplying a bank account or credit.
    4 - Will they keep these documents on file or destroy them after the verification process.

This is supposed to some kind of game changer for the payment industry? The process is long winded, not clear, problematic, and requires excessive documentation. Most credit card providers can complete the entire application process in seconds, with no documents needing to be sent.

They didnt answer my question how to cancel.

I also cannot find a way to check my address and contact details on their app either, all that facility seems missing.

There is also no information on their website about these ID checks and pending cards.
    Last edited by Chrysalis; 03-02-2018 at 1:35 PM.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 5th Feb 18, 12:29 AM
    • 3,181 Posts
    • 2,154 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    Applied for a card a few days ago.

Got an email and message today saying my card is being created and should be with me within 3 to 7 days.

Apparently it's the black version with double cashback. it's free, so I guess they've dropping the blue version.
    • eagle
    • By eagle 5th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    eagle
    I've been unable to change the PIN number on my new card so have as yet not used it. If I have any more problems, will be getting in touch with them to return the card.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 5th Feb 18, 3:17 PM
    • 2,663 Posts
    • 2,002 Thanks
    Candyapple
    I've been unable to change the PIN number on my new card so have as yet not used it. If I have any more problems, will be getting in touch with them to return the card.
    Originally posted by eagle
    What seems to be the problem? I did mine at a Halifax ATM, all done in less than 30 seconds. It was exactly the same as changing the PIN from any other bank card I've ever received.

Half the time it appears to be user error rather than anything the company has done.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • eagle
    • By eagle 5th Feb 18, 3:36 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    eagle
    What seems to be the problem? I did mine at a Halifax ATM, all done in less than 30 seconds. It was exactly the same as changing the PIN from any other bank card I've ever received.

Half the time it appears to be user error rather than anything the company has done.
    Originally posted by Candyapple
    Not sure. Mine is linked to a Barclaycard and I think it was them that were rejecting the attempt - I had something flash up on my screen several times from the Barclaycard app.

Did you use your card first, before changing the PIN?
    • jcontest
    • By jcontest 5th Feb 18, 5:39 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    jcontest
    The "Black" card should have a one-off fee attached to it, looking on my email it says I am getting the black one too, perhaps the first 50k people got "free" upgrades?
    Product
    Curve Black (Free)
    There is a new search on my credit report tho.
    ONFIDO LIMITED for Id Check To Comply With ML Regs

So not really sure if that is them or not, but I did sign up that day.

Regarding Chrysalis and his credit check, what they are asking for sounds like what Onfido does. My credit report doesn't list my bank accounts or credit cards (1 current, 1 visa, 1 mc) and I am not on the voters register. Yet they send me a card without asking for any other ID... ;P... Go figgure.

Last edited by jcontest; 05-02-2018 at 5:44 PM.
    • cjv
    • By cjv 5th Feb 18, 6:39 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    cjv
    I don't really understand the travel back in time feature.

Say I make a purchase with my debit card and then that purchase shows on my online banking transactions (and reflects on my available balance), I then decide to change that purchase to a credit card.. what happens? is the original transaction refunded to my bank account instantly?
    • WillPS
    • By WillPS 6th Feb 18, 8:42 AM
    • 235 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    WillPS
    I don't really understand the travel back in time feature.

Say I make a purchase with my debit card and then that purchase shows on my online banking transactions (and reflects on my available balance), I then decide to change that purchase to a credit card.. what happens? is the original transaction refunded to my bank account instantly?
    Originally posted by cjv
    They attempt to charge the new card - if successful they'll then issue a standard refund to the original card. Refund speed depends on your issuer - but they'll submit the refund on their end straight away.

It's useful if, for example, you need to spend £x to meet a credit card spending bonus, you can spend while waiting for the physical card to arrive then swap it over. I'd guess it's primarily intended for people who simply forget to change the 'active' card on the app though.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 6th Feb 18, 12:19 PM
    • 2,663 Posts
    • 2,002 Thanks
    Candyapple
    Not sure. Mine is linked to a Barclaycard and I think it was them that were rejecting the attempt - I had something flash up on my screen several times from the Barclaycard app.

Did you use your card first, before changing the PIN?
    Originally posted by eagle
    No, I didn't use mine first before changing the PIN. Also, your Barclaycard has nothing to do with changing the PIN, you are changing the PIN on your Curve card - not your Barclaycard. Whatever issue you are having with your Barclaycard is unrelated.

You are putting the Curve card into the ATM aren't you and not your Barclaycard?
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 6th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    20aday
    Ordered my Curve card Sunday afternoon and it came in the post today.

Mine's also the black variant.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • Erickem
    • By Erickem 7th Feb 18, 4:21 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Erickem
    I didn't get the pending approval bit either.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 7th Feb 18, 7:53 AM
    • 247 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    18cc
    Was thinking of getting one, but not sure I would change the target card that much. I use one cashback credit card for most of my daily spending, and although I do have other debit/credit cards why would I change to use them as they are not cashback cards?

How often do people switch cards and why? Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,925Posts Today

7,513Users online

Martin's Twitter