Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chlo88
    • By chlo88 17th Feb 16, 12:29 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 29Thanks
    chlo88
    Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete
    • #1
    • 17th Feb 16, 12:29 PM
    Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete 17th Feb 16 at 12:29 PM
    Hi all,

    We are first time buyers it's fair to say with limited knowledge on the whole process (thank goodness for this forum). So we reserved a new build flat with Miller homes in December 2015, we are nearly there with exchange (just sent all documents signed back to solicitors). Our flat is supposed to be ready on the 24th of June 2016. Went to check the progress the other day, the have just finished the outer shell of 2nd floor (it's a 3 storey build) so looking good for time scales atm. We have our options meeting on Sunday to choose all the upgrades. We have to pay 25% of the price upfront and the rest payable prior to completion. I thought I'd make this thread because a- I'm impatient and wish it was all just ready now, can't stop thinking about it. B- because throughout this forum I've read lots of ?'s re new build and some not so nice stories of things that can go wrong, so thought a bit of support may be nice. c- and lastly just to share others experiences and the long wait with. So who's up for joining me in the wait
Page 55
    • breadwm
    • By breadwm 26th Aug 17, 2:49 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    breadwm
    Deposit sent over to my solicitor yesterday - hoping to exchange contracts on Tuesday!

    Completion date December
    • GBR78
    • By GBR78 26th Aug 17, 7:19 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    GBR78
    I'm going to hop on this now!

    Finally had a suitable and proceedable offer to accept on our current home today. We are using the assisted move scheme with the developer and that has certainly helped get people through the door. Our only issue is timing at the moment. Our buyer is hoping to be in mid-late October....our plot isn't going to be ready until late November. we'll let the solicitors battle that one out I think!

    Have spoken to the developers today. Have now got an appt for Monday to covert our holding fee to a full reservation. Not sure whether that will entail making decisions on equipment/finishes or not though....
    • Time2go
    • By Time2go 28th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Time2go
    Bit of strange timeline first viewed Showtime in Feb
    March decided to do their assisted move scheme (What this has essentially meant is they pay estate agents fees as we have still done all chasing etx)
    Lost original plot we reserved as other people proceedable.

    6 June (day before holdiay) offer received and officially reserved plot with Charles church and kitchen and bathroom chosen
    12 June last day of holiday find out buyer pulled out!!!!
    1 August plot lost and someone else reserved it
    28 August accepted another minimum offer other people that reserved out plot were not proceedable so we got original plot back. Told new buyers as offer so small condition was exchange 28 days and completion 31 October

    Now 5 weeks later and although mortgages all approved and atp now received my solicitor has only just sent contract to other side and we haven't had hours yet. They also want us to pay for indemnity insurance rather than searches. Hope to exchange 13 Oct with completion 4 November
    • dhokes
    • By dhokes 28th Sep 17, 7:55 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    dhokes
    Reservation fee for a plot paid last weekend. Due for completion May 2018.
    • dhokes
    • By dhokes 5th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    dhokes
    Regarding extras on new builds such as carpeting, tiles e.g., when did you have to pay for them and what were the terms? For example, was it before or after exchange and was the payment refundable? I'm wondering whether it's common to be asked for a non-refundable payment before exchanging contracts. What if the exchange doesn't go through for reasons outside my control?
    • nikkit72
    • By nikkit72 5th Oct 17, 8:39 PM
    • 2,428 Posts
    • 10,294 Thanks
    nikkit72
    Exchanged a few weeks ago, got transfer of deeds through today, and errors, so waiting on new one to come through,
    Going to view our house for first time saturday so i can meausre everything, hopefully build complete in next couple weeks, and co pleton hopefully 27/10, so exciting last few weeks seeing house being built,
    Dont forget that little Thanks button , only takes a sec
    • mrs M
    • By mrs M 6th Oct 17, 9:27 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mrs M
    Our new build is ready to move into, expected to move last week so there is the new owners pack, a bottle of bubbly, some snacks and bits waiting for us... but our buyer hasn't signed the last bit of paperwork - they should be doing that today so we'll be moving in next week.... I cant wait! We have watched the plot go from a farmers field to a beautiful house, we want to make it a home now!
    • dhokes
    • By dhokes 14th Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    dhokes
    Reservation fee for a plot paid last weekend. Due for completion May 2018.
    Originally posted by dhokes
    Help to Buy application has been rejected as the developer currently doesn't have the funding for the next financial year. No developers do apparently. Waiting for their response.
    • Ithilien
    • By Ithilien 16th Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Ithilien
    After my previous message back in August, we've finally exchanged last week. Although the sales office advised there were no restrictive covenants, the contract contained two pages of them. Including "fleecehold" covenants ie. paying for permission to extend and alter the property on the outside.
    We were not best pleased; solicitor wasn't particularly helpful at the start either.
    Long story short, after weeks of negotiation we were happy to proceed. The builder agreed to give us some permission in advance (installing aerial, solar panels, shed etc), and we've got the cost of gaining further permissions in writing, to increase with inflation.
    We decided to go ahead as there is nothing in the area which comes close to the size and condition for the price.
    Now waiting for the build to be completed; probably by the end of March. House is halfway up; I think they're hoping for it to be wind- and water-tight by the end of next month. Can't wait to select the options; all this waiting is driving me mad.
    • smem18
    • By smem18 17th Oct 17, 5:19 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    smem18
    Hello everyone.

    We reserved a 1 bed flat in Borehamwood, Hertfordshire earlier this year. It was off-plan so we still haven't had the chance to see it! I think about it every day and am so anxious to visit the flat, but we have been told that this won't be possible until we do the pre-completion visit and snagging checklist. I am really hoping for new about this pre-completion visit any day now, because the contract states that this must be done a minimum of 10 days before completion.

    Timeline was:

    Paid reservation fee: 8th May 2017
    Mortgage offer: 1st June 2017
    Exchanged: 6th June
    Completion: estimated in early November.

    The builder has been in contact to let us know that everything is still on schedule for November, but I still get nervous that there will be a delay. We have given notice to our landlord that we will likely want to move out sometime in November, and fortunately he has been very understanding about us not having a precise moving date. However he is really opposed to us moving in December because he worries about finding a new tenant so close to Christmas. He's asked if our completion ends up being in December, if we can continue to pay rent till end of January but I have been non-committal. He's been good to us but I don't want to be paying rent and mortgage simultaneously for any longer than necessary!

    We never planned on getting a 1 bed flat, and wanted a two bed house originally, but our budget wouldn't permit in the end as we do not have time for a "project house" right now. I really hope we made the right decision, but we fell in love with the show flat and are excited to be paying into our own mortgage after 6 years of paying tens of thousands of pounds into the landlords mortgage...
    • Willis12376
    • By Willis12376 22nd Oct 17, 3:43 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Willis12376
    Reserved our Bellway home early September.
    Mortgage offer sorted by L&C with little fuss and great customer service 3 weeks later.
    Solicitor instructed and endless amounts of paperwork supplied.
    Got our additions meeting end of November, and due to excange in mid December.
    Not due to complete until mid June which is going to be tense because mortgage offer expires on last day of June, so if there are any delays there could be an issue (especially if interest rates go up as predicted).

    Now praying that all the speculation about stamp duty changed isn't just hot air!
    • dhokes
    • By dhokes 22nd Oct 17, 4:11 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    dhokes
    Not due to complete until mid June which is going to be tense because mortgage offer expires on last day of June, so if there are any delays there could be an issue (especially if interest rates go up as predicted).
    Originally posted by Willis12376
    I'm in a similar position. I'm just about to start exchanging contracts on a house to due complete at the end of May and my mortgage offer expires in June. I'm going to try to get a long stop date added to the contract.
    • Willis12376
    • By Willis12376 22nd Oct 17, 5:03 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Willis12376
    I'm told that developers aren't usually more than a couple of weeks late and that mortgage companies are pretty flexible about extending, so think we should be okay.
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 22nd Oct 17, 5:46 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    We have received our notice to complete - which will be on 3/11/17.

    From the start our builders said "October/November" and unofficially told us the last week October/first week November. They've kept to that to the letter

    I must say I am surprised to read about people not being allowed to view their homes though in the interim period, I guess it depends on the developer. Ours have been extremely accommodating even for when we've been dim and forgotten to do something like take a particular measurement, or when I was fussing over flooring choices for weeks.
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 22nd Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    Hello everyone.

    We reserved a 1 bed flat in Borehamwood, Hertfordshire earlier this year. It was off-plan so we still haven't had the chance to see it! I think about it every day and am so anxious to visit the flat, but we have been told that this won't be possible until we do the pre-completion visit and snagging checklist. I am really hoping for new about this pre-completion visit any day now, because the contract states that this must be done a minimum of 10 days before completion.

    Timeline was:

    Paid reservation fee: 8th May 2017
    Mortgage offer: 1st June 2017
    Exchanged: 6th June
    Completion: estimated in early November.

    The builder has been in contact to let us know that everything is still on schedule for November, but I still get nervous that there will be a delay. We have given notice to our landlord that we will likely want to move out sometime in November, and fortunately he has been very understanding about us not having a precise moving date. However he is really opposed to us moving in December because he worries about finding a new tenant so close to Christmas. He's asked if our completion ends up being in December, if we can continue to pay rent till end of January but I have been non-committal. He's been good to us but I don't want to be paying rent and mortgage simultaneously for any longer than necessary!

    We never planned on getting a 1 bed flat, and wanted a two bed house originally, but our budget wouldn't permit in the end as we do not have time for a "project house" right now. I really hope we made the right decision, but we fell in love with the show flat and are excited to be paying into our own mortgage after 6 years of paying tens of thousands of pounds into the landlords mortgage...
    Originally posted by smem18
    Don't give formal notice until you are sure. Until you have that legal completion date. Until that point, things can move, and you may be stuffed. This can mean an overlap period which can be expensive but rather that than not having a roof over your head!

    Review the terms of your tenancy agreement, make sure you give the proper notice when you can. Don't feel too bad for your landlord, after all you are paying the mortgage on what one assumes is at least the second roof over their head. They are running a business, your primary concern is your home. My landlord is nice too; I gave as much notice as we could (which is 6 weeks until the next formal date we can leave) to accommodate him and try and help him out.

    We handed in notice to the letting agent at midday yesterday, by 5pm our house was advertised!!!
    Last edited by SuboJvR; Yesterday at 5:52 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

12Posts Today

4,285Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

  • Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

  • RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

  • Follow Martin