Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chlo88
    • By chlo88 17th Feb 16, 12:29 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 29Thanks
    chlo88
    Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete
    • 17th Feb 16, 12:29 PM
    Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete 17th Feb 16 at 12:29 PM
    Hi all,

We are first time buyers it's fair to say with limited knowledge on the whole process (thank goodness for this forum). So we reserved a new build flat with Miller homes in December 2015, we are nearly there with exchange (just sent all documents signed back to solicitors). Our flat is supposed to be ready on the 24th of June 2016. Went to check the progress the other day, the have just finished the outer shell of 2nd floor (it's a 3 storey build) so looking good for time scales atm. We have our options meeting on Sunday to choose all the upgrades. We have to pay 25% of the price upfront and the rest payable prior to completion. I thought I'd make this thread because a- I'm impatient and wish it was all just ready now, can't stop thinking about it. B- because throughout this forum I've read lots of ?'s re new build and some not so nice stories of things that can go wrong, so thought a bit of support may be nice. c- and lastly just to share others experiences and the long wait with. So who's up for joining me in the wait
Page 54
    • allthe7s
    • By allthe7s 31st May 17, 1:04 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    allthe7s
    We exchanged contracts last week, still not had moving date narrowed down from Aug-Nov but hoping it will be sooner rather than later!
    Next £615 £495 £436.23 Santander1 £297 £279 £261.95 Santander2 £84 £79 £75.11

Savings Goal £163.67/£3000 by Dec 17
    • AlexTheLion
    • By AlexTheLion 1st Jun 17, 11:53 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AlexTheLion
    Quick question does anyone have any experience with their house not buying built to the plans? We currently have drains in our garden which aren't meant to be there, wrong size doors on pantry/cupboards amongst other discrepancies.
    • jdc23
    • By jdc23 2nd Jun 17, 4:42 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jdc23
    Hi everyone, I am going to join you all on this thread now as we are soon to exchange contracts on our new build. I was hoping that we would exchange this week, but now looks like it is going to happen next week as Solicitors are still doing their thing. We are using the Equity Loan scheme, so Persimmon told us we would have 35 days to exchange from the time we received our Help to Buy Authority to Proceed. Not doing too well on this as it is now 48 days since we received this documentation!! Thankfully Persimmon still seem happy and are not chasing us at all.

We are buying on Persimmon's Lake View development in Leighton Buzzard. I had read lots of horror stories about the quality of new builds, but the site is now around half built and quite a few houses have completed. We can now walk well into the site and it actually all looks really nice and the build quality looks good.
    • visidigi
    • By visidigi 2nd Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    • 5,643 Posts
    • 3,513 Thanks
    visidigi
    Quick question does anyone have any experience with their house not buying built to the plans? We currently have drains in our garden which aren't meant to be there, wrong size doors on pantry/cupboards amongst other discrepancies.
    Originally posted by AlexTheLion
    Can happen. We had doors a different size and a different banister fitted - they reserve the right to make design changes.

Be lucky - the drain will be there for a reason - there was supposed to be one in ours, they didn't fit it and now we have a bog for a garden...
    • wifigeek
    • By wifigeek 23rd Jun 17, 12:04 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wifigeek
    just an update. still waiting for bellway to fix a lot of my problems. one step forwards, one step backwards. they are also now refusing to do certain things and ive had to get NHBC involved. the latest dilemma has involved NHBC inspector report showing that no fire bags (fire safety) installed around windows/doorways and a lintel that is not supporting weight. I have had to get NHBC involved for remediation/safety check works to make sure the work was actually carried out.
    • breadwm
    • By breadwm 24th Jun 17, 11:08 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    breadwm
    I'll join you. Early days but plot reserved, HTB application submitted.

• SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 24th Jun 17, 11:59 AM
    • 355 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    Early days here as well.

We reserved our plot on the May Bank Holiday weekend, although we haven't paid the reservation fee as yet. TW (South East) said that we will only do that once they have Authority to Proceed from the Help to Buy people, so expecting that sometime soon.

Despite this they seem happy enough with us seeming genuine and we have picked our options (we splashed, went for a whole two extra plug sockets and a shaver socket for the bathroom ). We declined their £7500 quote for the Karndean flooring throughout and have found a local flooring warehouse who will be able to supply and fit Luxury Vinyl Tiles for somewhere around £2500 instead.

Mortgage application is in, Help to Buy application is in, initial paperwork with solicitor done.

So waiting to pay the reservation fee and expecting exchange in mid-August, completion "October-November".

Sourcing provisional removals quotes now as well.

The house shot up very quickly. Will be popping by again today but 9 days ago the roof woodwork was on, wonder where it's at now!

It's a three bed semi detached with garage :-)
    • SeagullFTB
    • By SeagullFTB 24th Jun 17, 3:15 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    SeagullFTB
    Waiting to exchange on a TW (South East) property too. We also decided to look elsewhere for flooring costs after their quote of £4500 for a two bed flat.
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 24th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    Where abouts are you Seagull?

Ours is West Malling, Kent :-)
    • SeagullFTB
    • By SeagullFTB 25th Jun 17, 12:36 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    SeagullFTB
    Ours is Shoreham by Sea, West Sussex.
    • breadwm
    • By breadwm 30th Jun 17, 3:25 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    breadwm
    I know that not many people read this thread (or care)

...but ATP issued!

• nikkih72
    • By nikkih72 7th Jul 17, 8:03 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    nikkih72
    Reserved our plot yesterday, all documents scanned tp Broker last night, HTB and mortgage forms being sent today by broker, solicitors all sorted, so now to wait till next week for ATP from HTB, and then 3 weeks ( fingers crossed for mortgage) then exchange contracts, and complete Oct/NOv, FTB so scary and exciting at same time.
    • Pigmyhippo
    • By Pigmyhippo 7th Jul 17, 8:32 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Pigmyhippo
    Well, looks like this is the thread for me now. We put our house up for sale in April, and it sold to the first viewers on day one. We intended to move into rented with the intention of waiting for a plot to be released by Taylor Wimpey early 2018. (Due to previous credit problems we had about 8 settled defaults due to drop off between Jul-Dec this year) We completed on our sale on 16/6 and moved into rented.

However, a house type from Barratts was available that we liked on the same development so (after talking to our mortgage broker who was sure we would be ok getting a mortgage somewhere) we placed a reservation on 4/6/17. We negotiated an extended exchange date of 31/08/17 due to us moving house and worrying that the mortgage may take a little while to come through because of credit issues and the fact I am self employed.

Our broker applied for a mortgage for us on 9/6/17 with Natwest, we jumped through the hoops and provided the required documentation, and our mortgage offer arrived on 4/7/17.

We received contracts from solicitors yesterday to sign and return as Barratts are wanting to exchange asap. With our extended exchange deadline we aren't under the usual 30 day rush/panic that is usual for new build purchases. We will probably exchange some time next week.

Our new home is currently built up to the ground floor window stage. The sales lady has said completion should be 4th quarter this year, so Oct, Nov, Dec. The site manager is going to run through the build schedule with the sales office middle of this month so our expected completion date should be narrowed down, although she seems to think it will be around end of Oct which would be perfect as it would give us a months overlap between completion and our rental running out. We could then sort out any snagging before we move in.

Anyway, here's hoping it goes smoothly for all of us waiting for our homes to be built!
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 7th Jul 17, 9:12 AM
    • 355 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    Well, looks like this is the thread for me now. We put our house up for sale in April, and it sold to the first viewers on day one. We intended to move into rented with the intention of waiting for a plot to be released by Taylor Wimpey early 2018. (Due to previous credit problems we had about 8 settled defaults due to drop off between Jul-Dec this year) We completed on our sale on 16/6 and moved into rented.

However, a house type from Barratts was available that we liked on the same development so (after talking to our mortgage broker who was sure we would be ok getting a mortgage somewhere) we placed a reservation on 4/6/17. We negotiated an extended exchange date of 31/08/17 due to us moving house and worrying that the mortgage may take a little while to come through because of credit issues and the fact I am self employed.

Our broker applied for a mortgage for us on 9/6/17 with Natwest, we jumped through the hoops and provided the required documentation, and our mortgage offer arrived on 4/7/17.

We received contracts from solicitors yesterday to sign and return as Barratts are wanting to exchange asap. With our extended exchange deadline we aren't under the usual 30 day rush/panic that is usual for new build purchases. We will probably exchange some time next week.

Our new home is currently built up to the ground floor window stage. The sales lady has said completion should be 4th quarter this year, so Oct, Nov, Dec. The site manager is going to run through the build schedule with the sales office middle of this month so our expected completion date should be narrowed down, although she seems to think it will be around end of Oct which would be perfect as it would give us a months overlap between completion and our rental running out. We could then sort out any snagging before we move in.

Anyway, here's hoping it goes smoothly for all of us waiting for our homes to be built!
    Originally posted by Pigmyhippo
    Welcome Pigmyhippo! Hope all goes smoothly for you, great that your house sold so quickly!

We're now at the first "landmark" stage of our build, with the roof properly on. The next stage will be once the electrical and plumbing is all done, they call that the "first fix" here.

Meanwhile we have got our Authority to Proceed and our Mortgage Offer, yay!

We are also destined for an October/November completion. Our house was up to the first floor windows about 4 weeks ago though so if you're being told end of October maybe we hopefully will be looking at early October that's only three months away

Each little step makes it all feel a bit more real!!!
    • Pigmyhippo
    • By Pigmyhippo 10th Jul 17, 9:26 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Pigmyhippo
    Welcome Pigmyhippo! Hope all goes smoothly for you, great that your house sold so quickly!

We're now at the first "landmark" stage of our build, with the roof properly on. The next stage will be once the electrical and plumbing is all done, they call that the "first fix" here.

Meanwhile we have got our Authority to Proceed and our Mortgage Offer, yay!

We are also destined for an October/November completion. Our house was up to the first floor windows about 4 weeks ago though so if you're being told end of October maybe we hopefully will be looking at early October that's only three months away

Each little step makes it all feel a bit more real!!!
    Originally posted by SuboJvR
    Yeah you're definitely right! We managed to read through all the contracts and after a couple of queries, have exchanged. On Saturday we went to the sales office and chose and paid for all of our extras and chose our tiles, flooring, kitchen etc.

We've done everything we can so it's now in the hands of the builders!

Good luck with your build!
    • nikkih72
    • By nikkih72 10th Jul 17, 9:27 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    nikkih72
    WE HAVE BACKED OUT.... persimmons, Leasehold.... glad we read everything this weekend,,, we were missold.... lease states no vans,,, we told sales lady we were self employed , !! she never told us anything about the lease rules,,, can't run a business, no vans,,, the list is endless ,, thanks to
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/786983251448976/

we found out loads,,, glad we haven't lost 000s,, only a couple hundred
    Last edited by nikkih72; 10-07-2017 at 9:41 AM.
    • wifigeek
    • By wifigeek 11th Jul 17, 6:18 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wifigeek
    newbuilds
    you did the right thing nikkih72.

Problems with my newbuild still ongoing; moved in on feb. its now 11 july. constant fighting with the builder to get things done. refusal to carry out some works. deadlines missed. back garden that you cant even stick a pronged fork in full depth in some areas. NHBC now involved.

I didnt think it would happen to me after reading the reviews and it did. do not buy a new build home. you get more protection buying a tin of beans. you may get a good one, you may not. you take your chances.. http://www.mybellwayhome.co.uk
    • Ithilien
    • By Ithilien 25th Aug 17, 7:56 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Ithilien
    I can finally join!
    We reserved a plot on 13/08. Applied for the mortgage, initially tried through a broker but last week decided to go with Natwest directly due to me about to start a new job. As we are both Natwest customers they were happy to go ahead with just a copy of my contract rather than a full months payslip. Rate is also decent.
    We've also already paid for a door to the garage. As the garage is already half-built they couldn't wait with this.
    We've also asked to make a few changes eg moving boiler from kitchen into utility room whcih they are looking into.
    Exchange due 14/09 and we are on track. Completion estimated March 2018 so a while yet! Super excited; both of us are first time buyers and this will be our forever home.

It's freehold, no restrictive covenants and also not persimmon so hopefully all will be okay.

How is everyone else getting along?
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 26th Aug 17, 9:23 AM
    • 355 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    Things are still ticking over for us. Sorry to hear about nikkih's experience with Persimmon We are buying a freehold - it was one of the first things I checked and, in fairness to our sales team, was actually one of the first things they pointed out.

We exchanged a couple of weeks ago, and our build has recently gone through the "second fix - carpentry" stage. We are still on track for October/November; unofficially they are telling us last week October/first week November. So next up I'll aim to get removals pencilled in for November sometime and see where we go from there!
    • saxo_appeal
    • By saxo_appeal 26th Aug 17, 11:34 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    saxo_appeal
    We are looking to place a reservation down on a new build property and will be going in for some answers to the cabin today (Persimmons)

As there are some houses in Phase 1 ready for reserving, can we reserve houses that are yet to be available but are shown in the Plots? We see some of them on the plans which we would rather buy nut can you still reserve?

We are absolute newbies to all this and looks like we have a lot of reading up and looking on this forum
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,608Posts Today

7,609Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin