Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chlo88
    • By chlo88 17th Feb 16, 12:29 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 29Thanks
    chlo88
    Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete
    • 17th Feb 16, 12:29 PM
    Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete 17th Feb 16 at 12:29 PM
    Hi all,

We are first time buyers it's fair to say with limited knowledge on the whole process (thank goodness for this forum). So we reserved a new build flat with Miller homes in December 2015, we are nearly there with exchange (just sent all documents signed back to solicitors). Our flat is supposed to be ready on the 24th of June 2016. Went to check the progress the other day, the have just finished the outer shell of 2nd floor (it's a 3 storey build) so looking good for time scales atm. We have our options meeting on Sunday to choose all the upgrades. We have to pay 25% of the price upfront and the rest payable prior to completion. I thought I'd make this thread because a- I'm impatient and wish it was all just ready now, can't stop thinking about it. B- because throughout this forum I've read lots of ?'s re new build and some not so nice stories of things that can go wrong, so thought a bit of support may be nice. c- and lastly just to share others experiences and the long wait with. So who's up for joining me in the wait
Page 53
    • SquirrelRM
    • By SquirrelRM 4th Apr 17, 7:55 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    SquirrelRM
    So mortgage offer is in and as expected Taylor Wimpey wouldn't budge on price but did throw in a decent incentive package. Meant to be exchanging contracts at the end of the month but my solicitor hasn't received any paperwork from TW yet so can't see that happening! Good luck all. X
    • allthe7s
    • By allthe7s 18th Apr 17, 9:43 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    allthe7s
    What is everyones expected completion date?

We got a letter last week to say we are at the foundation stage, expected completion between 11th Aug and 3rd Nov.

Took my Aunt and Gran to see the showhome in our style house and they both really liked it. I just can't wait to be in now!
    Next £615 £495 £436.23 Santander1 £297 £279 £261.95 Santander2 £84 £79 £75.11

Savings Goal £163.67/£3000 by Dec 17
    • Dutsey
    • By Dutsey 18th Apr 17, 10:34 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Dutsey
    Had a letter advising completion date will be 28th April
    • tim9966
    • By tim9966 18th Apr 17, 10:40 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    tim9966
    31st May at the moment. I'm still expecting it to be pushed back into June. It was meant to be next week for a while.

What is everyones expected completion date?
    Originally posted by allthe7s
    • FlacosFloozie
    • By FlacosFloozie 23rd Apr 17, 5:05 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 2,530 Thanks
    FlacosFloozie
    Well, we've moved in to our Bellway home and, so far, we're really impresed. Only very minor snags and all been sorted really quickly.
    Save 12K in 2016 #147 £2032.26/9,000 22% Emergency Fund £501.50
    Mortgage £159,995 Ends May 2038 Overpaid £0 in 2017 Holiday Fund £0

Debt Fr
    ee 31.07.14

• clur84
    • By clur84 24th Apr 17, 10:49 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    clur84
    We have exchanged contracts today and the solicitor said we will complete 10 days after we have been served notice to completion, not sure when this will be although on recent site stalk ours looks pretty much complete and the opposite house finally has a roof on so might just be a case of getting scaffolding down.
    we must be the only people in no rush to move we really want to try and wait till 5th of June to complete as we go on holiday on 29th May so would like to wait until were back.

When did everyone have their home demos done and what shold we expect from that?
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 25th Apr 17, 11:38 AM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 12,266 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    We had ours the week before completion clur84, it was just showing us how everything worked really and then I went round and turned all the taps on, flushed the toilets, opened and closed all doors to make sure everything was ok in the regard.

Also took the chance to measure up for curtains/blinds so we could get them ordered ready to fit on move in day
    £835/3000 OH BC(72.16% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £835/31010.23 (97.30% paid)
    Mortgage - £162,900.00 (2017 O/P £1312.91) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £15264.59/14,539.71 Make £10 Apr £194.58 Make £10 May £159.75 Make £10 June £266.85
    • Frances109
    • By Frances109 26th Apr 17, 11:11 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Frances109
    So I have just read all 53 pages of this post! Think I can add myself to this now rather than stalking you all

We have just requested to reserve a 3 bed property! Even though we have only send the plans, it definitely seems like our forever house!

As a first time buyer I've struggled to find out what the process is - if anyone could enlighten me that would be great!
    First time buyer!
    • Captain89
    • By Captain89 26th Apr 17, 11:52 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Captain89
    So I have just read all 53 pages of this post! Think I can add myself to this now rather than stalking you all

We have just requested to reserve a 3 bed property! Even though we have only send the plans, it definitely seems like our forever house!

As a first time buyer I've struggled to find out what the process is - if anyone could enlighten me that would be great!
    Originally posted by Frances109
    Process:

-Speak to builders MB and get DIP
    -Pay res fee
    -informed of exchange date
    -Find Conveyancer( get alot of quotes)
    -Lengthy convos with MB
    -Pray you mortgage gets approved
    -pick flooring, colours etc with builder
    -MB comes back with more questions
    -Underwriters have more questions
    -Yah Mortgage is approved
    -Read every thing your Conveyancer sends.
    -Exchange
    -Countdown begins
    - Get home/life insurance quotes.
    -More waiting
    -Almost completion time
    -Prelim Home tours/meet the builders/stalk your house.
    -Notice to complete
    -Send the money(Stamp duty etc)
    - Home tour a few days before(do a quick snag check( taps, boiler whatever you can)
    -Builder receives the funds(hopefully)
    -Collect Keys ( Presents waiting for you in the kitchen)
    -Enjoy
    Last edited by Captain89; 26-04-2017 at 11:56 PM.
    • htaylor16
    • By htaylor16 29th Apr 17, 10:02 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    htaylor16
    Finally sorting out my log in for this place so I can now join the thread

We've reserved a Bellway new build and got our mortgage offer yesterday. We're should be able to transfer our deposit money next Friday, contracts have already been signed and sent back to our solicitors so once our deposit money has cleared we should be able to exchange.

House is currently due to be completed at the end of July. We went to view it for the first time last weekend and it was looking pretty good, kitchen was all in, tiling finished but no toilet or sink in the family bathroom, ensuite bathroom needs doing as does the downstairs loo. Walls all seem to be painted though. We've getting them to do all the flooring, turf and extended patio plus there a still one or two houses that still need completing before we move in. However end of July is still looking on target. It better be as we're going in holiday on 5th August!
    • clur84
    • By clur84 1st May 17, 9:28 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    clur84
    Contracts exchanged, builders signed off just waiting for the notice to complete and we should be in!
    • wifigeek
    • By wifigeek 3rd May 17, 1:09 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wifigeek
    well it seems that I have a ton of quality control issues on my bellway new build. getting things fixed has been one step forward and one step back. multiple attempts at fixes. cracking/sloping floor which is outside NHBC tolerances. had to get a wall rebuilt due to shallow mortar beds.

I built a photo gallery to share my story at mybellwayhome.co.uk.

to bellway's credit; they are trying to fix things; but I really wish I hadn't purchased a new home off-plan and certainly wouldn't recommend doing so.
    Last edited by wifigeek; 03-05-2017 at 1:12 AM.
    • Captain89
    • By Captain89 3rd May 17, 9:53 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Captain89
    well it seems that I have a ton of quality control issues on my bellway new build. getting things fixed has been one step forward and one step back. multiple attempts at fixes. cracking/sloping floor which is outside NHBC tolerances. had to get a wall rebuilt due to shallow mortar beds.

I built a photo gallery to share my story at mybellwayhome.co.uk.

to bellway's credit; they are trying to fix things; but I really wish I hadn't purchased a new home off-plan and certainly wouldn't recommend doing so.
    Originally posted by wifigeek
    My God. How the house got signed off by their quality team is shocking. Hopefully they get everything sorted ASAP.
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 3rd May 17, 10:10 AM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 4,469 Thanks
    kelpie35
    Even though things were sorted ASAP I would not wish to live in a house like that.

I would be demanding a completely different home
    • wifigeek
    • By wifigeek 4th May 17, 1:49 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wifigeek
    yeah; sadly its still ongoing.. not out of the woods yet. brickwork this week... more photos to follow.
    Last edited by wifigeek; 04-05-2017 at 1:57 AM.
    • clur84
    • By clur84 4th May 17, 12:41 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    clur84
    Really sorry to hear your trouble wifi geek, it is one of my biggest fears that we are going to run into problems with our new build as you hear so many horror stories but I am tryin to remain optimistic.

Home demo on Monday then completion on the 12th.......All getting real and exciting now
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 4th May 17, 1:01 PM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 12,266 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    I know there are some nightmare builds out there clur, but I had the same concerns (especially once I'd read the Persimmon reviews!) but our build quality has been better than we expected so it's not all bad
    £835/3000 OH BC(72.16% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £835/31010.23 (97.30% paid)
    Mortgage - £162,900.00 (2017 O/P £1312.91) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £15264.59/14,539.71 Make £10 Apr £194.58 Make £10 May £159.75 Make £10 June £266.85
    • wifigeek
    • By wifigeek 4th May 17, 1:36 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wifigeek
    it very much depends on who your site manager is and whether they keep an eye or not, and what particular people are involved in your build. can vary wildly from one site to the next.

In my case, I know of at least two bellway sites which are plagued with similar problems in scotland - its not just me.

Sadly it seems getting things fixed to a reasonable standard once this has occurred is non-trivial. I know its been said before; but you really do get more protection buying a tin of beans.

By all means buy a new build; just be careful...
    • jdderbys
    • By jdderbys 10th May 17, 8:06 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jdderbys
    We moved in on the 28th April.

We had a few teething issues and there are a number of snags to be rectified. It does appear our garden will have to completely redone as its all lumpy and full of rocks with little top soil and dying grass.

Got to hand it to TW, they have been really great sorting so far.

The one thing outside of our hands is a barking dog throughout the night on a farm out the back. It does not stop, and although not too loud, we had a similar thing at our old house so it infuriates me. It's barking when we go to bed and still going at 2am
    • snooks104
    • By snooks104 23rd May 17, 8:56 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    snooks104
    I'm going to join the thread after reading all 53 pages. I
    put an offer on a Crest Nicholson development in London in January with expected completion date of mid/ late April 2017.

everything was mostly going to plan and I was given a legal completion date of 27 April - packers and movers booked, post redirected, address changed for everything etc. at 7:15pm on 26 April, I got a call from the Sales Office telling me that the flat wasn't ready and I couldn't move. I saw the flat on the Thursday morning (my supposed moving day) and anyone could have seen that it wouldn't have been ready. The bathrooms weren't completed, the kitchen wasn't fully installed, the flooring wasn't it, the electrics weren't completed and the doors weren't hung.

The development are paying for people to stay in air bnb's or hotels as well as paying for the moving costs and storage costs.

I have been given a 2nd completion date of 26 May but I still
    don't believe the development will be ready for me to move in so I've suggested 9 June. When I saw the flat on Sunday morning, the lifts weren't working, the electrics are still not completed, the bathrooms aren't finished and there is no access to the communal garden / parking area, where my car park should be, to the front door so my movers wouldn't be able to get close to get things moved easily.
    They've also not left a space for the en suite bathroom cavity door and there is no space for a normal swinging door. My emails suggesting a sliding door on the bedroom wall have gone unanswered for the past week despite the fact that putting a sliding door on that wall means I cannot have a TV in the room because the door has to be fitted over the TV points. Also the electrical plug points in the bedroom are in the wrong place compared to the plans.

I've had 2 weeks of post that had been redirected before Royal Mail could cancel the redirection "go missing".

With everything that has gone wrong, I'm going to send in my own snagging surveyor as I can't be sure things are actually going to be done properly.

I think the flat is lovely but I've had so much hassle that I almost wish I hadn't purchased it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

155Posts Today

1,242Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin