Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chlo88
    • By chlo88 17th Feb 16, 12:29 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 29Thanks
    chlo88
    Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete
    • 17th Feb 16, 12:29 PM
    Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete 17th Feb 16 at 12:29 PM
    Hi all,

We are first time buyers it's fair to say with limited knowledge on the whole process (thank goodness for this forum). So we reserved a new build flat with Miller homes in December 2015, we are nearly there with exchange (just sent all documents signed back to solicitors). Our flat is supposed to be ready on the 24th of June 2016. Went to check the progress the other day, the have just finished the outer shell of 2nd floor (it's a 3 storey build) so looking good for time scales atm. We have our options meeting on Sunday to choose all the upgrades. We have to pay 25% of the price upfront and the rest payable prior to completion. I thought I'd make this thread because a- I'm impatient and wish it was all just ready now, can't stop thinking about it. B- because throughout this forum I've read lots of ?'s re new build and some not so nice stories of things that can go wrong, so thought a bit of support may be nice. c- and lastly just to share others experiences and the long wait with. So who's up for joining me in the wait
Page 52
    • wifigeek2
    • By wifigeek2 5th Mar 17, 11:06 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wifigeek2
    bellway..
    welp I have my nice new home.. its a monumental bellway bodge :-(

what a mess. never buy off-plan again!

Brickwork is covered in mortar splashes; holes in mortar; holes in render/missing render outside; front step that moves; back and front door not flush/can see light outside and cold air coming in. big gaps underneath my windows and mortar coming out in my hand...

so far 50+ snags that I know of; and it seems the others on the same estate as me all have similar horror stories. going to get full structural survey done just in case as I have a huge crack in concrete floor. I dont trust them..

Well worth £200k+. NOT
    Last edited by wifigeek2; 05-03-2017 at 11:09 PM.
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 6th Mar 17, 9:03 AM
    • 3,099 Posts
    • 13,788 Thanks
    kirtsypoos

Brickwork is covered in mortar splashes; holes in mortar; holes in render/missing render outside; front step that moves; back and front door not flush/can see light outside and cold air coming in. big gaps underneath my windows and mortar coming out in my hand...

so far 50+ snags that I know of; and it seems the others on the same estate as me all have similar horror stories. going to get full structural survey done just in case as I have a huge crack in concrete floor. I dont trust them..

Well worth £200k+. NOT
    Originally posted by wifigeek2
    Sounds awful wifigeek, hope you get it sorted soon.
    £150/3000 OH BC(95% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £150/31010.23 (99.51% paid)
    Mortgage - £160,500.00 (2017 O/P £2475.46) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £18,079.25/14,539.71
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 6th Mar 17, 10:56 AM
    • 2,867 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    lee111s

Well worth £200k+. NOT
    Originally posted by wifigeek2
    Where abouts have you bought?

We moved into a Bellway in November and I've been really impressed. I'm pretty picky and very aware of what is and isn't acceptable and I must admit, while we had a few issues, they were all sorted very promptly.
    • wifigeek2
    • By wifigeek2 6th Mar 17, 11:52 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wifigeek2
    Thanks All.

Fingers crossed.

We have purchased in west lothian. I am not alone as it seems some of my neighbors have had multiple new bathroom suites etc...
    • FlacosFloozie
    • By FlacosFloozie 11th Mar 17, 8:08 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 2,533 Thanks
    FlacosFloozie
    Hope they get things sorted soon.
    We're due to move in to our new Bellway home at the start of April. Fortunately, its a different development. I haven't heard anything bad but I guess you don't know until you move in .....
    Save 12K in 2017 #147 £4611.33/9,000 51% Emergency Fund £3104.43
    Mortgage £159,995 £156,995 Overpaid £0 in 2017 Holiday Fund £3.20

Debt Fr
    ee 31.07.14

• dannyjebb
    • By dannyjebb 12th Mar 17, 11:07 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    dannyjebb
    Hope they get things sorted soon.
    We're due to move in to our new Bellway home at the start of April. Fortunately, its a different development. I haven't heard anything bad but I guess you don't know until you move in .....
    Originally posted by FlacosFloozie
    Could I ask if you have any advice on buying with Bellway? We are about to reserve a house with them, did you have any luck getting discount, freebies etc?

Thanks
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 13th Mar 17, 12:04 AM
    • 2,867 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    lee111s
    Could I ask if you have any advice on buying with Bellway? We are about to reserve a house with them, did you have any luck getting discount, freebies etc?

Thanks
    Originally posted by dannyjebb
    It's so site and plot specific that there's no rule of thumb. Change your arm, be cheeky. If you're not embarrased by what you're asking for then you're not asking for enough.

As it happens, with Bellway, we got jack. Popular estate and a numbee of folk looking at our specific plot... not sales patter either, we spoke to two other couples on the sales office who wanted it. Luckily we got the buyer first and put the reservation fee down.
    • FlacosFloozie
    • By FlacosFloozie 14th Mar 17, 7:09 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 2,533 Thanks
    FlacosFloozie
    We found the same as lee111s. We looked at the site early on and talked to the sales rep. At that point, she told us that she had no room to negotiate on price but might be able to do something with extras. When we wre actually at the stage of buying, there was no room for negotiation.
    I think, in our area, few 3 and 4 bed houses are coming on the market post brexit so the demand for new builds is really high.
    Bellway do seem to be a bit more competitively priced than some other builders. Their extras are similar in price. Some things were good value when we priced them (or too much hassle to do after moving in) but some have quite a mark up on them.

Debt Fr
    ee 31.07.14

• FlacosFloozie
    • By FlacosFloozie 14th Mar 17, 7:11 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 2,533 Thanks
    FlacosFloozie
    As well as the showhouses, our site has a 'viewhome' which is one built with the standard spec. This can be helpful in deciding what extras matter to you.

Debt Fr
    ee 31.07.14

• Captain89
    • By Captain89 14th Mar 17, 11:44 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Captain89
    Completion date has been moved up to 28/04 which is amazing for us. Still looking hard online for any warning signs but yet to find anything negative about countryside in recent times.

Went to a meet the builders meeting and they said all the right things. House goes through multiple checks before each department signs off on it so you should basically be snag free when you move in. I have family on the development and they don't have anything negative to say so I'm cautiously optimistic...
    • allthe7s
    • By allthe7s 18th Mar 17, 7:53 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    allthe7s
    Got our mortgage offer through today, slowly but surely we're getting there!
    Next £615 £495 £436.23 Santander1 £297 £279 £261.95 Santander2 £84 £79 £75.11

Savings Goal £163.67/£3000 by Dec 17
    • samspam
    • By samspam 19th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    samspam
    Completion date has been moved up to 28/04 which is amazing for us. Still looking hard online for any warning signs but yet to find anything negative about countryside in recent times.

Went to a meet the builders meeting and they said all the right things. House goes through multiple checks before each department signs off on it so you should basically be snag free when you move in. I have family on the development and they don't have anything negative to say so I'm cautiously optimistic...
    Originally posted by Captain89
    I used to work for countryside, I have never worked with a company who does more rigorous quality checks than them. You may still find some snags but it's a hand built house, nothing will be perfect it's impossible. But I used to hand over houses and have customers desperately trying to find snags because the quality was so good. No idea what they are like these days but as far as I am aware they are still at the top of their game. They pay very well so get good staff and trades. And good trades are the key to a good house x
    • samspam
    • By samspam 19th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    samspam
    Regarding making an offer on a new build, how much lower that asking price is sensible?

I know developers might be more tempted to accept an offer towards the very beginning and very end of a development but any other tips on getting them to accept a lower offer?
    Originally posted by dhokes
    You can't really make an offer on a new build. They are the plot price and a dealing margin per plot. You will get a 'deal' when they have houses to sell which are not far off being build complete or when they are build complete and classed as 'stock' The prices are always the cheapest at the beginning of the site (unless there is a market crash), also if it is the builders financial year end and they have houses they need in for their figures you can get a deal. However deals normally are in the way of 'incentives' stamp duty, legal fees, carpets, turf etc
    If you wait until the end of the site when they are trying to get off site then you might get a better deal but some sites sell very well. It depends on the current local market. It's never an exact science.
    • Luke273
    • By Luke273 23rd Mar 17, 10:33 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Luke273
    Guess I can join this thread, although I have a long wait ahead, plot I have reserved due to be complete in... Feb 2018! Building hasn't even begun on the site yet but most of the plots have already been reserved. Will just have to contain my excitement for at least 11 months
    • ap1985
    • By ap1985 23rd Mar 17, 10:37 AM
    • 299 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    ap1985
    Guess I can join this thread, although I have a long wait ahead, plot I have reserved due to be complete in... Feb 2018! Building hasn't even begun on the site yet but most of the plots have already been reserved. Will just have to contain my excitement for at least 11 months
    Originally posted by Luke273

Congratulations. I remember when my husband and I first reserved our house...they had just put the first layer of bricks and we felt like we had to wait ages. But time went by so fast I am sure it will be the same for you
    Finally going to be a homeowner
    • Captain89
    • By Captain89 23rd Mar 17, 2:04 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Captain89
    I used to work for countryside, I have never worked with a company who does more rigorous quality checks than them. You may still find some snags but it's a hand built house, nothing will be perfect it's impossible. But I used to hand over houses and have customers desperately trying to find snags because the quality was so good. No idea what they are like these days but as far as I am aware they are still at the top of their game. They pay very well so get good staff and trades. And good trades are the key to a good house x
    Originally posted by samspam
    Thanks for the input. I've spent so much time searching its starting to border on insanity. I went to see the house last week. My wife and her mum fell in love with it straight away. Knowing they care so much about quality has removed any lingering doubts I have about the purchase. 5 weeks to go......
    • Dutsey
    • By Dutsey 23rd Mar 17, 9:43 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Dutsey
    We've Exchanged contracts now and waiting for coMapleton date woop woop hopefully end of April
    • SquirrelRM
    • By SquirrelRM 24th Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    SquirrelRM
    Hi all, hope its ok to join in.
    We are in the process of purchasing a 4 bed detached from Taylor Wimpey. There are a number of new home developments within our local area and two on the same development. We decided on ours mainly due to location as DD's school is just round the corner and it is an easier commute for my husband and I.
    So far it has all gone smoothly with us securing the property within an hour of being released (despite 13 other people on the list in front of us ). We were given £2500 in options vouchers without asking, although I know the flooring alone will cost more than this. We got our decision in principle from NatWest and submitted all the HTB paperwork, authority to proceed came through on Monday. Unfortunately we then received a phone call from our mortgage advisor to say that the valuation on our new build is £5000 below asking price. Taylor Wimpey don't seem in the least bit bothered and have asked us to go back to the valuers (legal and general) with comparables locally. The last of our house style to sell was back in December but hasn't yet gone to exchange and sold for the price they are valuing ours at. In the locality there aren't any comparable that will justify the price they are asking and the same house style on another local development (not as nice an area) is £15,000 less! I'm not sure what to do as if we make up the £5000 shortfall we will have no money for options and additional flooring. Has anyone else had any experience of this.
    Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading to the end. ��
    • M_Europe
    • By M_Europe 2nd Apr 17, 11:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    M_Europe
    Originally posted by Luke273
    Where have you reserved?
    • BeckyAP
    • By BeckyAP 3rd Apr 17, 4:35 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    BeckyAP
    Hello!

Thought I'd just introduce myself. My fiance and I are looking to reserve a 3 bed property on our local Cala development in the South East.
    I keep flip flopping between being so excited and so flipping scared - never worried so much in my life!
    We still have a few hurdles to get over such as getting the property at the price we wanted and potential help with rent - we're tied into a contract until 15th September but Cala would need us in at the end of June. Landlord isn't answering his phone and left messages

Least I have a forum now to read other stories and take guidance from you guys!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,626Posts Today

6,124Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin