Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chlo88
    • By chlo88 17th Feb 16, 12:29 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 29Thanks
    chlo88
    Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete
    • 17th Feb 16, 12:29 PM
    Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete 17th Feb 16 at 12:29 PM
    Hi all,

We are first time buyers it's fair to say with limited knowledge on the whole process (thank goodness for this forum). So we reserved a new build flat with Miller homes in December 2015, we are nearly there with exchange (just sent all documents signed back to solicitors). Our flat is supposed to be ready on the 24th of June 2016. Went to check the progress the other day, the have just finished the outer shell of 2nd floor (it's a 3 storey build) so looking good for time scales atm. We have our options meeting on Sunday to choose all the upgrades. We have to pay 25% of the price upfront and the rest payable prior to completion. I thought I'd make this thread because a- I'm impatient and wish it was all just ready now, can't stop thinking about it. B- because throughout this forum I've read lots of ?'s re new build and some not so nice stories of things that can go wrong, so thought a bit of support may be nice. c- and lastly just to share others experiences and the long wait with. So who's up for joining me in the wait
Page 40
    • ap1985
    • By ap1985 10th Oct 16, 10:18 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    ap1985
    I am happy to finally join this thread. My OH and I reserved our house on 1 September. It is due to be completed End of February (hopefully there are no delays). I am so excited but February seems so long away! So now it's just a waiting game. Went to see the house last week and it's starting to come along...it is very exciting seeing it grow!

Look forward to going in to choose our options now....hopefully that will be sometimes soon.

Swishy87 - not long to go now....The wait must have been worth it
    • laurajane6486
    • By laurajane6486 13th Oct 16, 4:40 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    laurajane6486
    Hi all,
    Is everyone having an independent snagging survey done? I was intending to because from what I've read online it seemed like a good move. But I've rang a few surveying companies who have kindly advised me against instead of just booking it and taking my money.
    They seem to be saying that the NHBC will do their own report which the builders have to act upon and that unless I have a specific issue that the builders aren't rectifying I shouldn't need any survey done?
    I obviously don't want to waste money having a snagging survey done unless it's necessary and worthwhile but I also don't want to regret not having one done further down the line.
    What does everyone think?
    Laura
    • dgtazzman
    • By dgtazzman 13th Oct 16, 7:31 PM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    dgtazzman
    I didn't have one done and am regretting it. Not so much the list, as I put together an extensive list myself I am happy with, but the lack of action from the builder. A month after moving in I'm still waiting for my driveway and my bathrooms to be finished. If I had an independent snagging survey, I feel I might have had more ammo to use to pressure the builder into action.

My ensuite still has no shower (they ordered the wrong size twice and didn't come to measure the correct dimension till the second one was also the wrong size). Tiling has been left half done in the bathrooms (missing grouting, sloppy finish, etc.) and the general finish is sloppy/unfinished. I still owe them 2400 quid for extra tiling in the bathrooms, but I've told them I'm withholding the money till the work has been completed to my satisfaction, not that they seem to be paying this much attention.

One of my windows has also been fitted incorrectly, meaning it doesn't close right. They have promised me repeatedly to send somebody to fix it asap, but so far, that's all they've done.

They promised me all items of my snagging list would be dealt with within 28 days, but at their current pace, it's going to be more like 28 months.

I'm afraid this might end up with me getting the premier warranty (or whatever it's called) involved or even taking legal action, in which case, a snagging survey would have been ideal...

On another note, they also decided not to put any room thermostats in their houses anymore (which saves them 200 quid per house, at most), so I had to go and invest several hundred Pounds into a wireless system. I was told verbally during the build the standard fit was 2 heating zones with a thermostat, so I wasn't best pleased.
    Last edited by dgtazzman; 13-10-2016 at 7:33 PM.
    • Jon B
    • By Jon B 13th Oct 16, 8:53 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    Jon B
    Who the hell is that builder not installing thermostats?!

They sound pretty shoddy tbh with the snagging.

I must say, 1 year in to owning a Bovis home that it has been a largely positive experience and even when we have issues now - the customer services team act promptly to resolve.
    • dgtazzman
    • By dgtazzman 14th Oct 16, 1:57 AM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    dgtazzman
    It's a small local developer. The build quality in general is good, only the subcontractor that did the tiling in the bathrooms seems to have been a total git. They've just gotten a new site manager on site and he's not impressing anybody, wouldn't surprise me if his time here will be very short-lived. He's fully focused on getting the last houses of the development finished and is neglecting most of the snagging as a result. His superiors have already told him multiple times to get the snagging done, but it seems to be falling on deaf ears...

The argument for the thermostats was 'but all the rads have thermostatic valves, so you don't really need room thermostats'. In all fairness, they did offer to wire one in after I mentioned it, but I didn't fancy them messing around pulling wires with all the walls already finished, so I got a wireless smart thermostat instead. It's something I would have done anyway, but it's the principle...
    Last edited by dgtazzman; 14-10-2016 at 2:00 AM.
    • swishy87
    • By swishy87 14th Oct 16, 8:19 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    swishy87
    I am happy to finally join this thread. My OH and I reserved our house on 1 September. It is due to be completed End of February (hopefully there are no delays). I am so excited but February seems so long away! So now it's just a waiting game. Went to see the house last week and it's starting to come along...it is very exciting seeing it grow!

Look forward to going in to choose our options now....hopefully that will be sometimes soon.

Swishy87 - not long to go now....The wait must have been worth it
    Originally posted by ap1985
    TBH we haven't had to wait long! We reserved July. But it has gone fast and I'm sure it will for you!

We have our home tour booked for 24th and I've flagged some issues to them already with the stone sills. I don't hold out any hope for them doing anything about it though.
    • ap1985
    • By ap1985 14th Oct 16, 9:50 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    ap1985
    TBH we haven't had to wait long! We reserved July. But it has gone fast and I'm sure it will for you!

We have our home tour booked for 24th and I've flagged some issues to them already with the stone sills. I don't hold out any hope for them doing anything about it though.
    Originally posted by swishy87

Thank you, hope time does fly by

Keep bugging them about any issues and stay on top of them so they get fixed!
    Finally going to be a homeowner
    • swishy87
    • By swishy87 14th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    swishy87
    Thank you, hope time does fly by

Keep bugging them about any issues and stay on top of them so they get fixed!
    Originally posted by ap1985

They've said no problem, we will sort on Thursday. So we shall see! Fingers crossed.

Just think as the extra time as time to save. We didn't expect to move so we were grateful for a month delay!

We've had our notice of completion today so all going ahead on the 28th!
    • Graciepie88
    • By Graciepie88 17th Oct 16, 12:48 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Graciepie88
    Still waiting for our notice to complete. I emailed this morning and the girl came back with a very vague 'it will be in November sometime'

We are on 20 working days notice as this is what we agreed in our contract on exchange. She seems to think we are just on the standard 10 days.

Frustrating because when we visited two weeks ago the house was pretty much done. I know they need to make sure access is also safe, but according to her the houses in our street which are opposite us should be completing this week!

Kind of losing excitement with all this waiting and not looking forward to potentially moving in December.

• lee111s
    • By lee111s 17th Oct 16, 1:53 PM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    lee111s
    First fix is done and plasterboarding has started at the end of last week. Still hoping for the sign off to be done on 11th November
    • Murray87
    • By Murray87 18th Oct 16, 9:39 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Murray87
    I feel your frustration Graciepie88! Wish we knew that including an extended notice period would have been an option for the contracts.

I don't understand why it has to be like that? Surely they can forecast cash flow and sales like any other business - Don't know why house builders should be any different!

We popped in to our sales office on Saturday and was told we would likely get our 10 days notice to compete sometime between 5th and 16th December, but that the last possible completion will be 23rd December! So we've taken a chance and told our landlord that we will be moving on the 16th in the hope that gives us a few days overlap.

Absolute nightmare!

Hope everything goes ok for you!
    • coollittlew
    • By coollittlew 18th Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    coollittlew
    I am new here so just catching up on some of your stories and looking to gain as much advice as possible before purchasing a new build. We have seen the house that we love on a Taylor Whimpey and visited the show room a couple of times. Currently we are waiting for the plot we like to be released so we can reserve it and start the whole process. Currently the ground floor is complete so we except it to be released some time in November for completion April/May.

We have an existing house so we are looking to use the easy mover scheme that TW offer. I am confident our house will sell quickly at a reasonable price. Has anyone else used this?

Also I would be interested in trying to do some negotiation for extras/stamp duty paid/legals paid/anything I can get. I noticed a few of you have said you managed to get some good deals negotiated. How did you approach this? Was it when you went to reserve the plot? Any tips you have would be great!

Looking forward to starting this journey with you all!
    • visidigi
    • By visidigi 20th Oct 16, 7:24 AM
    • 5,610 Posts
    • 3,464 Thanks
    visidigi
    I am new here so just catching up on some of your stories and looking to gain as much advice as possible before purchasing a new build. We have seen the house that we love on a Taylor Whimpey and visited the show room a couple of times. Currently we are waiting for the plot we like to be released so we can reserve it and start the whole process. Currently the ground floor is complete so we except it to be released some time in November for completion April/May.

We have an existing house so we are looking to use the easy mover scheme that TW offer. I am confident our house will sell quickly at a reasonable price. Has anyone else used this?

Also I would be interested in trying to do some negotiation for extras/stamp duty paid/legals paid/anything I can get. I noticed a few of you have said you managed to get some good deals negotiated. How did you approach this? Was it when you went to reserve the plot? Any tips you have would be great!

Looking forward to starting this journey with you all!
    Originally posted by coollittlew
    You have time - get your house o the market yourself and get it sold - the problem you have with the easy mover is that its not guaranteed and it basically wipes out nearly all grounds for 'deals' on extras.
    • mleach101
    • By mleach101 20th Oct 16, 9:19 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    mleach101
    Hi all,
    Is everyone having an independent snagging survey done? I was intending to because from what I've read online it seemed like a good move. But I've rang a few surveying companies who have kindly advised me against instead of just booking it and taking my money.
    They seem to be saying that the NHBC will do their own report which the builders have to act upon and that unless I have a specific issue that the builders aren't rectifying I shouldn't need any survey done?
    I obviously don't want to waste money having a snagging survey done unless it's necessary and worthwhile but I also don't want to regret not having one done further down the line.
    What does everyone think?
    Laura
    Originally posted by laurajane6486
    I did, it was about £500 but worth every penny. I've posted further up but more below:

There weren't any major issues found but it was worth the peace of mind to have it in writing. They were extremely efficient, performing a 3 hour inspection and generating the report within a few days. The sales rep and the site manager from Barratt Homes both attended as well so if nothing else it encouraged them to pay closer attention to the house after completion (though having dealt with both of them I think they are exemplary, so service would be good anyway). Still a few things to chase up but things at work have been distracting me the last few weeks since I moved in.

Interesting that you were discouraged by the surveyors. I would say that yes, NHBC will do an inspection but they're only interested in what is covered by the warranty which is the big things like the structure itself but won't necessarily look at the cosmetics to the extent a surveryor working for you will. I'd contact a dedicated company like New Build Inspections (full disclosure - that's who I used) and talk to them, they'll explain the process and send you a sample report to give you an idea of what you get for your money all with no obligation.
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 20th Oct 16, 9:59 AM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    lee111s
    Went and had a look last night, front door is now on! Just one small side window that runs the height of the door to go on and it will be completely weather proof

The garden wall is almost finished and we have a garden path to the front door now too.

Still on for sign off on the 11th November and if so, we'll be in 5 weeks today!
    • swishy87
    • By swishy87 21st Oct 16, 4:03 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    swishy87
    Hello to all the new people that have joined!

We’re definitely on for completion next Friday! We have our home tour on Monday (fingers crossed that there’s nothing too major to pick up on!).

I feel like I’ve done as much as I can in preparation – I’ve let our water supplier know, council tax, electoral register, mail redirection, ordered new wheelie bins ready and transferred the TV licence. I’ve also paid the solicitor and paid the removal company.

Now just to finish packing! Been drowning in a pile of shredding as we get rid of lots of stuff! Still feel like we’re upside down and a long way off though!

I know that the solicitor has requested money for the day before from our mortgage provider, our removal company are coming at around 8ish to start loading up, so I’m really hoping we complete well before midday and can be on our way!

Starting to feel a little bit emotional about leaving our house now though (and not looking forward to having less money available each month!)
    • mleach101
    • By mleach101 21st Oct 16, 5:03 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    mleach101
    Still feel like we’re upside down and a long way off though!
    Originally posted by swishy87
    Get used to that feeling, it sticks around for a while, but once you complete you'll get a great buzz to go along with it!
    • swishy87
    • By swishy87 21st Oct 16, 5:55 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    swishy87
    I'm determined it won't be like when we moved into this house with boxes everywhere for ages! I can't live like that!
    • xzeeex
    • By xzeeex 23rd Oct 16, 12:02 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    xzeeex
    Hi All,

I've just joined, and been reading all your stories so far! I'm currently waiting for my new build to be finished ... it has been such a nightmare so far. I have already exchanged contracts etc.
    It was originally due to be finished in August this year, and it has dragged on and on, and they are now aiming for completion just before christmas ... but I don't have much faith in this!
    I am buying a top floor flat (4th floor), there are 12 flats in the block. They have finished building and the roof structure is on, it hasn't been tiled yet though. All windows/juliet doors are fitted, except for the top floor (I presume they're waiting until the roof is complete). From what I can see, they have done a lot of the internal work already on floors 1 & 2 as well.
    Am I right in thinking that a completion date of 23rd December is very unlikely considering there is still a lot to do?
    The sales office just keep fobbing me off with a standard response and saying it's common to have delays of 6 - 12 months on new builds.
    It is incredibly frustrating, I'm sure some of you can relate to this?
    • Jon B
    • By Jon B 23rd Oct 16, 2:43 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    Jon B
    Not knowing who your developer is, but looking back through my emails with Bovis, our roof was put on exactly two months before we completed. So not unlikely - that said, ours is a house not a flat.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,455Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter