Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 16th Feb 16, 10:30 PM
    • 2,503Posts
    • 1,778Thanks
    BOBS
    Transfer Test* Support* AQE 2016-2017
    • 16th Feb 16, 10:30 PM
    Transfer Test* Support* AQE 2016-2017 16th Feb 16 at 10:30 PM
    Rox12 and Neveranymoney - especially for you - wishing you and your children all the best for this not so nice AQE process. Will dip in from time to time to see how its all going - as I am sure others from 2015-16 thread will too.
Page 8
    • May100
    • By May100 19th Sep 16, 11:44 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    May100
    Jomidd
    The scores vary massively between the grammar schools. Belfast Telegraph published lowest / highest for each grammar for 2014/15. It even varies from year to year depending on competition for places. If you contact the school you are interested in then they should be able to give you an indication of the scores.
    • Carebear82
    • By Carebear82 20th Sep 16, 4:31 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Carebear82
    It all depends on what grammar school you are interested in - the school my daughter wants to go took 106 for lowest score last year so that's what we are aiming for but would be great to know if that meant 85% etc
    • Mumof3boysNI
    • By Mumof3boysNI 20th Sep 16, 5:53 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Mumof3boysNI
    How can you estimate what your child's score could be based on the practice papers they are currently doing? What percentage would a score of 100 or 110 be roughly? It's so confusing!
    • May100
    • By May100 20th Sep 16, 8:49 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    May100
    It is very difficult to say as it varies between papers / each year/ month child is born etc.
    However if you go on to last years thread, just after date results came out, several parents posted raw scores and final result.
    • Jomidd
    • By Jomidd 20th Sep 16, 10:01 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jomidd
    Hi guys yes I know each school varies with the scores and the AQE website actually lists the past 4 years lowest to highest score intake for all the schools, was just wondering if this years scores had been realised yet. It's very hard to say what the percentage equals in score as it depends on how well each child does based on dob.
    • Cherryscone
    • By Cherryscone 21st Sep 16, 8:13 AM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    Cherryscone
    Hi guys yes I know each school varies with the scores and the AQE website actually lists the past 4 years lowest to highest score intake for all the schools, was just wondering if this years scores had been realised yet. It's very hard to say what the percentage equals in score as it depends on how well each child does based on dob.
    Originally posted by Jomidd
    The best way to find the score is to ask because we are from all over I can tell you from where I am that Coleraine Grammar was 94 Dalriada was 105 the score was higher this year

if you look at this thread you will find a lot of scores

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5197632&page=49
    ~We are all going to hell and guess whos driving the bus~

*Norn Iron club Member 294*
    If I knew then what I know now believe me I would not have bothered

2016 £2 Club Member 48 Started again for Hols 2017 £6
    • May100
    • By May100 22nd Sep 16, 4:26 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    May100
    My DS is doing 2 actual AQE papers each week in school. He said that the scores in Paper 3 were lower than Papers 1 and 2. Does anyone think there is any difference in the level of difficulty between papers? I know that is how the child performs relative to everyone else so could make little difference when standardised but was just wondering if one paper was harder than others. Perhaps some of you who have been through this before may be able to share your experiences..
    • dee1000
    • By dee1000 23rd Sep 16, 1:16 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    dee1000
    Hello

Haven't been on here in a little while we have had a bit of a meltdown at home over this test. My ds got himself into a right strop every time wanted him to do a test (one a week that the school gave him) so I told him he was not doing it anymore.
    Anyway when we went back to school he begged me to let him try it again so we are back to square one. He moans and groans and tries to get out of doing the tests, but his marks arent great still, he is only about 60% and he knows they need to go up.
    May100 the paper 3 in aqe is harder I remember my daughter sat the tests about 5 years ago and said paper 1 and 2 were OK paper 3 was ok but harder. My son even recognises this as when I go to get him an aqe to do he says "not a paper 3" lol. My daughters mark was 99 and I asked for her raw scores and she got 52, 51 and 47 so you can see she actually got a 103 but lost 4 marks due to the standardisation process she has a January birthday.

I hope this helps, can't wait until we get these tests overwith.

D x
    • Jomidd
    • By Jomidd 23rd Sep 16, 1:32 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jomidd
    Hi dee1000,
    When you say raw scores, what do you actually mean I know that sounds stupid. Is that her score out of 64 for each paper she did?
    • dee1000
    • By dee1000 23rd Sep 16, 6:18 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    dee1000
    Hi jomidd

Sorry yes her scores were out 64, I was just curious as to what she actually got and am pleased now that I did because now my son is doing the test it sort of helps me understand what he roughly needs, but interesting that she lost 4 marks.

D xx
    • RikM
    • By RikM 23rd Sep 16, 10:59 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    RikM
    Hi jomidd

Sorry yes her scores were out 64, I was just curious as to what she actually got and am pleased now that I did because now my son is doing the test it sort of helps me understand what he roughly needs, but interesting that she lost 4 marks.

D xx
    Originally posted by dee1000
    That's not actually how it works.
    99 just means that she hit an adjusted mark a little under the average across all the results. You can't tell what her adjusted marks were from that. Or what marks would need to be next time to hit a similar score.
    • May100
    • By May100 23rd Sep 16, 11:31 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    May100
    Thanks D on sharing your experience of paper 1. My DS was second in his class on the paper 2 with 88% but in some other papers he was getting 97%, Most of the mistakes were careless ones but he said it was harder, he was short of time and had no time left over to check his work.
    We had every intention of doing all 3 papers but makes it more important to give papers 1 and 2 the best shot! He was doing lots of work over summer but since going back it is school work only.
    • May100
    • By May100 24th Sep 16, 1:26 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    May100
    Sorry D. Meant to say. He got 88% in paper 3 and higher marks in papers 1 and 2! The class average was 69% in paper 3 but had been about 76% in papers 1 and 2.
    • Eastbelfast mum
    • By Eastbelfast mum 24th Sep 16, 2:41 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Eastbelfast mum
    Just to share some opinion, every year when some school had a major improvement done either is a new sport hall or a new building block. It tends to attract more students to applied for that year, thus decrease the chance to get in that particular year. Is anyone know any school had some changes been done this year, please let me know. Thanks
    • Carebear82
    • By Carebear82 26th Sep 16, 5:48 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Carebear82
    So my daughter is doing 2 past AQE papers a week in school. From September she got first week mid 70's then second week she got high 80's then last week mid to low 70's then today comes home with 67%. She is supposed to be getting better not worse! I think the problem is during summer I was giving her 2 papers a week to do and every other morning she worked on different topics for 30-40 mins but since school started back she has a lot of homework so just been doing a bit of revision on Sundays. She I go back to giving her a bit of AQE work each night for 20 mins to keep everything active in her head? Im so stressed out about this all but trying not to let her know I am! Plus I think im doing my work colleagues heads in as this must be all I talk about lol their kids went to secondary schools so they don't understand why I would like her to go to grammar.
    • May100
    • By May100 27th Sep 16, 11:36 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    May100
    Hi Carebear. It is a stressful process and so important we don't transmit it to the kids. Any good ot have a place here to vent it! There is still time for the marks to pull up though.
    My DS is doing 2 tests in school and lots of homework Mon- Thur. Some of the homework is AQE type work - comprehensions and mental maths etc. He is doing very little at home now. Did about an hour of work at the weekend and no extra over school work during week. Careful not to overdo it. Some papers are harder than others too. So could find that marks of whole class are lower in some papers.
    Maybe go back over the mistakes with her. If it is mainly maths errors, set her a couple questions the same with different numbers in them. Problem we have is just silly careless mistakes from rushing through the paper. Don't know how to eliminate these and teach him to check his work. He also panics about running out of time. He asked if there was a clock in the exam room but I thought that they just call out the time at intervals and watches not allowed.
    • Carebear82
    • By Carebear82 27th Sep 16, 3:49 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Carebear82
    oh are not watched not allowed why not? My daughter wasn't getting papers finished at home but just about finishes them in school, I think this was just a harder paper though going through it she should of got another 5/6 marks for silly mistakes so should of done better. Cant wait till this is over!
    • May100
    • By May100 27th Sep 16, 4:31 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    May100
    I don't know i watches are allowed or not - I know that in certain univiersity exams they banned watches as students were cheating using smart watches. In other only watches with hands were allowed and had to be placed on the desk. My DS thought they weren't allowed but I can't find out this for sure on the web site.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,047Posts Today

5,028Users online

Martin's Twitter