Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 16th Feb 16, 10:30 PM
    • 2,547Posts
    • 1,865Thanks
    BOBS
    Transfer Test* Support* AQE 2016-2017
    • 16th Feb 16, 10:30 PM
    Transfer Test* Support* AQE 2016-2017 16th Feb 16 at 10:30 PM
    Rox12 and Neveranymoney - especially for you - wishing you and your children all the best for this not so nice AQE process. Will dip in from time to time to see how its all going - as I am sure others from 2015-16 thread will too.
Page 12
    • Mumof3boysNI
    • By Mumof3boysNI 16th Oct 16, 9:33 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mumof3boysNI
    My son is doing two tests in school, his homework during the week and I'm giving him one test at the weekend. We'll be glad to see the end of these tests!
    • Carebear82
    • By Carebear82 17th Oct 16, 3:37 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Carebear82
    My DD came home with 80% today (51/64) - don't know if a fluck but I changed the way we were doing things this week so been giving her 10-15 questions a day this week rather than spend all Thursday night and Sunday afternoon doing revision and seems to work though will see in her next test in school - though do you think 80% is enough to get a score of 106+
    • Jomidd
    • By Jomidd 17th Oct 16, 7:20 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jomidd
    Yes my son scored 80/81% in his past 2 papers found out today at parents meeting. Teacher thinks anything over 75% is a decent score and he says as he's a June birthday should be ok. 5 silly mistakes that the teacher thought he would of got, could have easily been nearer 90%. Don't know what it means in a score though, I've eased off him with papers at home, doing more revision and going over past papers to see what mistakes he made to make sure he understands them. Costing me a fortune, every paper over 80% he gets £2 haha.
    • Bambi1980
    • By Bambi1980 18th Oct 16, 10:24 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Bambi1980
    Wow great scores - am sure you are very content with 80s! That's great. Surely 80s would be more than 100?? It's so hard to know. I had been feeling more confident for my DD last month but after doing 2015 Paper 1 where she came home with mid 60s I am not so sure... Yes it was a harder paper but still kids getting 80s in her class and she dropped from top few in the class to below class average for first time. Thinking on one hand better to do it now than next month but if last year's papers are a sign of what's to come this year, I am seriously concerned!!
    • candy kid
    • By candy kid 18th Oct 16, 9:23 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    candy kid
    Ok, so my DD scores are coming up again in September doing school papers I was lucky if she was getting 50%, problems with the teachers attitude really put her of, now she is up to about 70%, in every paper she is doing but there is still about 7 points she is still making silly mistakes with, when I go over them she can answer them, only a few weeks to get this sorted. I really need her to be getting 51/52.
    • May100
    • By May100 18th Oct 16, 11:44 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    May100
    My DS is coming home very tired and can't be bothered doing anything. He is getting better at checking his work. I'd love someone to be able to teach him how to scan his work for mistakes rather than hope to re-do questions. I was going to give him part of a test that I filled in the answers with 70% of it right or so and he has 10 mins to find as many errors as possible. If anyone has any other ideas love to hear them. Seems to be he rushes the maths and does silly mistakes although it is his stronger subject but only makes a few slips ups in the english.
    • dee1000
    • By dee1000 19th Oct 16, 12:01 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    dee1000
    Candykid, my son is completely the same. I feel for you, he is getting about 65 - 70% and when I look at the mistakes its unbelievably silly little things that he knows. When we go over the papers he can see straight what he has done wrong. We only have the 2-3 weeks left and I am doubtful if he's going to improve much at this stage. If he wasn't so keen to do it I don't honestly think I would have him going through it. The only thing I can do is keep going over things and hope for the best!! Just wanted to say I completely sympathise with you. D x
    • candy kid
    • By candy kid 19th Oct 16, 12:12 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    candy kid
    Thanks D. We only need a few more question correct in every paper, it's my DD that wants to do this, I would have gave up a long time ago. We just got to keep trying and hope for the best. X
    • Carebear82
    • By Carebear82 19th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Carebear82
    So what's everyone's preparation at moment with it being so close to AQE????? I'm starting to get nervous for them all now!!!!!
    • neveranymoney
    • By neveranymoney 19th Oct 16, 3:57 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    neveranymoney
    We are just doing the two tests in school and a bit of revision on a Saturday morning.
    I have pulled way back as my son was getting very anxious and hating the whole process so I let him have an entire weekend of doing nothing, never mentioning AQE and what do you know? His results in school that week were far higher.
    I CANNOT WAIT for it all to be over, we've had our familiarisation day and I've just had parent teacher which was very good I suppose but I had a trawl back through previous years posts here, relating to past years AQE and some of it was worrying reading.
    When parents applied for the raw scores, the kids average was at times, 80%, which got them low 100's and it wasn't enough for first choice schools. This was the 2014 year.
    My son does regularly get 80% and up but that has really shaken me.
    • May100
    • By May100 20th Oct 16, 10:42 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    May100
    Think we are all feeling the same - can't wait to see the end of the tests. We are the same - 2 tests in school and school homework and about 30 mins other work max based on any problems in test. DS is very tired and we are taking weekend off. I find he does better in the test on Monday if he has done little on nothing at the weekend. Seem to be rested and more focused or something.
    • Floeydoey
    • By Floeydoey 21st Oct 16, 7:34 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Floeydoey
    Havent been on in a while my daughter seemed yo be doing really well over the summer in practice tests went back to school and her marks have dropped i give her tests to do at home she always does far better in them although at this stage im just going to keep doing what we are doing and what will be will be as the secondary school we like is also a good school but what worries me about that is will she get in theres always something to worry about
    • flymetothemoon
    • By flymetothemoon 22nd Oct 16, 10:37 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    flymetothemoon
    Havent been on in a while my daughter seemed yo be doing really well over the summer in practice tests went back to school and her marks have dropped i give her tests to do at home she always does far better ........

Floeydoey
    My son was exactly the same 2 years ago, his scores plummeted throughout September and I couldn't understand it but I eventually found out what was causing the problem -
    1. the teachers attitude (total disinterest & even told the class they didn't need to do the test to get a good job cos she went to local secondary and is now a teacher)
    2. she was teaching half the class while the other half were doing practice tests so there was noise and distraction in the classroom
    3. whilst she marked their tests, she didn't bother to go over mistakes but instead would ask anyone who wanted her to go over any questions to put their hand up
    By end Sept, when I had found all this out I went into school to see teacher and after 20 mins of straight talking & her apologising, I made it quite clear to her that I was not there for apologies, I was there to get things fixed quickly for a boy who I knew was so capable but, thanks to her, had now lost all confidence in himself - i was furious with her. Turned out several other parents were in same boat and were equally annoyed. Principal was made aware of situation & next thing teacher went off sick and class got a sub teacher who was brilliant and turned all the kids back round. Parents were so relieved & kids all did well in the end & got their choice of grammars but no thanks whatsoever to the main P7 teacher.
    So, I would say to any parents out there who are experiencing an inexplicable drop in scores but only in papers done at school to quizz their kids about what goes on in their classroom during tests and ask does teacher go over mistakes with everyone etc..
    • candy kid
    • By candy kid 22nd Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    candy kid
    This is what happened to my DD, great results all summer then when she went back to school in September results dropped to under 50% with the teacher papers, over a few weeks of asking her in a round about way she finally said that the TEACHER was giving of to them if they raised there heads to look at the clock, gave of if they looked around the room and other things.
    I have gradually got her marks up again and her confidence is coming up, why do teachers teach if they have a bad attitude.
    3 weeks to blast off.
    • Mumof3boysNI
    • By Mumof3boysNI 23rd Oct 16, 11:58 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mumof3boysNI
    My son is now only doing the two tests the school gives him. I have stopped giving him a paper at the weekend.
    We are both fed up with the whole thing. We are now just looking over his weaker areas for about 30 minutes at the weekend.
    On a slightly different note....My son has now done the 2015 past papers. They were so difficult compared to other years! The best children in the class who have been consistently achieving marks in the 90's all dropped to 80s or lower with these papers. The standard that our children are being expected to reach compared to the children sitting the papers a few years ago is unbelievable!
    • May100
    • By May100 23rd Oct 16, 9:12 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    May100
    Mumof3boys
    We haven't reached the 2015 papers yet. Our kids will be doing it those papers the week between papers 1 and 2. Same boat here home work practically stopped. Going to Spain on hols the half term week and may take 2 papers with us. Now I am worried that 2015 was harder and they have raised the bar. My DS has been in the 90s if he drops away back he'll be disappointed. The only things is the marks are standardised with average 100 in the real thing. So if the child is still in the top 20% of the class or so they'll still be fine as everyone will find it hard as long as they don't panic and freak out when faced with a harder paper. I haven't seen the 2015 paper was it the maths and english both harder / were they easier or harder than the Easons papers? I am reading the other posts and thankfully our P7 teacher is really good and encouraging.
    • Jomidd
    • By Jomidd 24th Oct 16, 4:19 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jomidd
    Really pleased today son came home today and both papers from the weekend was good results. 53/64 and 54/64 seems like his confidence is back up, think it helped that his big cousin who got 127 had a word in his ear and it's really helped. Long may it continue, less than 3 weeks to go..
    • Carebear82
    • By Carebear82 25th Oct 16, 12:09 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Carebear82
    brilliant Jomidd - Teacher has just advised me to praise DD as much as possible as confidence is down and nerves are up so sometimes she reads things too quick and doesn't take in what the question is actually asking her
    • May100
    • By May100 25th Oct 16, 4:37 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    May100
    Same message from our P7 Teacher. He said it was three E's
    Encourage, Encourage , Encourage!
    Thank goodness he is doing the same in class.
    • dee1000
    • By dee1000 26th Oct 16, 1:22 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    dee1000
    Hi

Has anyone discovered any tips for the careless little mistakes. My DS completed another test last night, achieved around 70% not too bad but he needs to gain about 4 or 5 marks each paper.
    So last night going over his test, there were seriously about 10 marks that he was capable of getting right.
    Some Examples -
    3/4 of a number is .............. so he divided the number by 4 forgot to multiply it by 3. The thing is he knows to do this.
    The other one that comes to mind was number of lines, vertices and faces on a shape, so he got the numbers right but put them in the wrong boxes
    The other one was find three words from the passage that rhyme with these three words and instead and my son found three rhyming words of his own
    I think he's not reading the question or rushing to get the paper finished.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Dxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

272Posts Today

1,712Users online

Martin's Twitter