Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 16th Feb 16, 10:30 PM
    • 2,548Posts
    • 1,866Thanks
    BOBS
    Transfer Test* Support* AQE 2016-2017
    • 16th Feb 16, 10:30 PM
    Transfer Test* Support* AQE 2016-2017 16th Feb 16 at 10:30 PM
    Rox12 and Neveranymoney - especially for you - wishing you and your children all the best for this not so nice AQE process. Will dip in from time to time to see how its all going - as I am sure others from 2015-16 thread will too.
Page 11
    • May100
    • By May100 8th Oct 16, 9:19 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    May100
    Oh Candy that's a lot o work.

At the moment my DS has 2 tests in school and so much homework that he is doing very little else. He did one one of the freebies from Belfast Telegraph last week but it is only 45 mins or so. I may persuade him to do Easons no 23 tomorrow. I just wish I could teach him how to check his maths as he is trhowing away a few dead easy marks..
    • Bambi1980
    • By Bambi1980 10th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Bambi1980
    Easons Tests?
    Hey - just wondering how everyone feels re the Easons booklets? My DD's scores in them are way below how she scores in past AQE papers and other booklet tests school is doing. I am giving her one at the weekend but worried it will knock her confidence if she is scoring low in them. Is this the case with anyone else? They seem quite old style and I know her teacher doesn't rate them, saying they are more like the former transfer test. Maybe two tests a week in school at this stage is enough???
    • Carebear82
    • By Carebear82 10th Oct 16, 12:21 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Carebear82
    Yes Bambi1980 I found that with Eason's booklets my DD always scored lower and was knocking her confidence so I have stopped giving them to her. I like the transferni.com test papers as they are in same format as the actual AQE papers but she has finished all of them so I don't know what to give her at moment. She is doing 2 actual past AQE papers in school every week so i'm now going through ones she is getting wrong and doing up my own similar questions for her to do then when I get time i'm working through the transferni revision booklets which are fab but is there any other tests similar format or should I stick with giving her Eason's booklets again. She is still low to mid 70's in marks but I really hope she has been given hard tests lately so im hoping they will give her easier ones in school few weeks before to boast confidence! she is getting 47/48 past few weeks out of 64 I just need her to get over 50 mark!
    • Mumof3boysNI
    • By Mumof3boysNI 10th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mumof3boysNI
    Hey - just wondering how everyone feels re the Easons booklets? My DD's scores in them are way below how she scores in past AQE papers and other booklet tests school is doing. I am giving her one at the weekend but worried it will knock her confidence if she is scoring low in them. Is this the case with anyone else? They seem quite old style and I know her teacher doesn't rate them, saying they are more like the former transfer test. Maybe two tests a week in school at this stage is enough???
    Originally posted by Bambi1980
    Hi,
    I think the CEA Eason's booklets are definitely harder! My son usually scores at least 5% lower in the tests compared to AQE papers. Personally I like that they are more challenging. My son knows not to worry too much about his marks when we do these tests but I do feel they stretch him and offer something a bit different to the work he does in school.
    • Carebear82
    • By Carebear82 10th Oct 16, 4:50 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Carebear82
    So does anyone have a list of what past papers are easy and what papers are hard from 2009 up till 2015? Just so I can judge how my daughter is doing?
    • May100
    • By May100 10th Oct 16, 8:14 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    May100
    Bambi
    Our school is doing 2 tests per week. I tried to give an Easons one at the weekend but DS wasn't very focused so I decided to stop extra home tests. He was getting fed up so time to ease off, Instead he wants just to work through some questions with me and watch how I would approach them. He said he learnt a lot from watching me do some questions - like underlining important bits of information, approach to maths etc. All things to save him and decrease chance of errors. I also made him a maths checklist to pick up silly mistakes.
    I used some of the Belfast telegraph freebie questions. In relation to Easons found maths ok but comprehension hard esp in the books 21 onwards. Also Easons have 58 questions that seem to be 58 marks but for same amount of questions AQE gives 64 marks. So if in Easons you have a 4 part question you get one mark but in AQE this would be worth 2 marks.
    • May100
    • By May100 10th Oct 16, 9:41 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    May100
    Carebear
    We haven't done them all yet. So far my lowest marks were in 2010 paper 2 and 2011 and 2014 paper 3s
    His best scores so far were in 2011 and 2012 paper 2s and 2014 papers 1 and 2.
    Not all children had the same experience though. So many of the mistakes are careless ones rather than hard questions.
    Got familarisation day details through - so the end is in sight!
    • Carebear82
    • By Carebear82 11th Oct 16, 10:29 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Carebear82
    Yeah our familiarisation is Sat 22 October scary so near!
    • Bambi1980
    • By Bambi1980 11th Oct 16, 12:12 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Bambi1980
    Easons Tests?
    Good to know others are having the same experience with the Easons tests. I'm reluctant to purchase anything else at this stage and feel that the best option could be to just go over all the wrong ones from past papers as they all seem to come up again and again.

Re which past papers are harder - from our experience it really does depend. DD scored so much lower than her peers who she is usually around the same as in one of them - no rhyme or reason for it - teacher just said some suit some children while others suit others. She has told them that the 2015 were especially difficult so DD has already decided her score will drop when she gets them! Think they probably even out across the three each time but probably one paper harder in there though how that really benefits the process I don't know as it will get discarded anyway?!?
    • Bambi1980
    • By Bambi1980 11th Oct 16, 12:16 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Bambi1980
    Hi,
    I think the CEA Eason's booklets are definitely harder! My son usually scores at least 5% lower in the tests compared to AQE papers. Personally I like that they are more challenging. My son knows not to worry too much about his marks when we do these tests but I do feel they stretch him and offer something a bit different to the work he does in school.
    Originally posted by Mumof3boysNI
    In the last one she did - test 12 - DD scraped 50%! soooo much lower than the school past paper marks so 5% lower sounds very impressive to me! I did tell her I would be concerned if I thought it was a problem and she could see I wasn't so settled a bit. Sigh!
    • Mumof3boysNI
    • By Mumof3boysNI 11th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mumof3boysNI
    Hi Bambi1980

Why don't you just take her through the paper as revision to build up confidence? If she is doing two papers a week in school I think that's plenty. I wouldn't worry about the marks others are scoring, as I've said previously, it's only the good results people talk about. My son is scoring very well in the AQE past papers, mostly (but not always) in the 90s. His teacher says she hopes he gets a very high score, but we will see! He does need more than 110 though as he would like to go to Friends' and he doesn't go to the prep so needs to score high! There are some children in his class scoring 50-60% in AQE papers, and other children who will score anything from the 90s one day down to 50% in the next!! The class average is usually around the 75% mark. So I think that should equate to a score of around 100 in my mind. Obviously I'm speculating here!
    • candy kid
    • By candy kid 11th Oct 16, 5:44 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    candy kid
    9th Nov is our familiarisation evening, it's all getting very real now.
    • May100
    • By May100 11th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    May100
    Concerned my DS is getting fed up with the tests. He could hardly be bothered doing his homework. Said that they worked so hard in school. He just played outside all evening and did about 20 mins homework. I think I'll have to think of some incentives to keep him motivated over the next few weeks. Some shock to the system next year, if he gets into grammar, all the homeworks then I thought!
    • Jomidd
    • By Jomidd 12th Oct 16, 9:03 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jomidd
    Does anyone know do you phone the school that they are sitting the AQE in to see when the familiarisation day is? Haven't had word yet, would like to know.
    • candy kid
    • By candy kid 12th Oct 16, 9:43 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    candy kid
    The school your child is sitting the tests at will post out a letter when the familiarisation day is.
    • Carebear82
    • By Carebear82 12th Oct 16, 3:47 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Carebear82
    We got a letter from the school she had chosen regarding familiarisation day but if you haven't received anything yet I would phone them. My daughter came home with 75% today I just need her in the 80s running out of time! Considering she started off Sept in 80s and has just went down every week but starting to climb again!
    • May100
    • By May100 12th Oct 16, 10:24 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    May100
    If you haven't received the letter re familarisation yet, then maybe check the grammar school's web site.
    • Jomidd
    • By Jomidd 15th Oct 16, 10:13 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jomidd
    4 weeks today and our lovely children will be sitting the first test �� What's everybody doing to prepare and get them ready?
    • May100
    • By May100 15th Oct 16, 4:38 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    May100
    Doing 2 tests in school and keeping up with the homeworks. Did 30 mins revision at weekend and that's it.
    Just trying to not talk about it too much and allowing plenty of time to play. They are working very hard in school this past few weeks and will be glad to reach half term. My DS is doing well but I don't want him getting stressed out or fed up with it all.
    • Jomidd
    • By Jomidd 15th Oct 16, 5:51 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jomidd
    Yes May100, that's what my son is doing. 2 papers in school and He's got a 30 min revision paper for a weekend also. We did a little revision book up that he can run his eye over with loads of facts in like shapes, prime/square numbers all different things like that. We are going over past papers to see what he got wrong to make sure he understands where he went wrong. He seems a lot more chilled and calm than he did a few weeks ago, we are trying not to talk about it.. I want him to enjoy the next few weeks and get plenty of down time and rest.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,389Posts Today

6,830Users online

Martin's Twitter