Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Glad
    • By Glad 14th Feb 16, 11:27 AM
    • 17,672Posts
    • 37,822Thanks
    Glad
    The Compers Inn (part 46)
    • 14th Feb 16, 11:27 AM
    The Compers Inn (part 46) 14th Feb 16 at 11:27 AM
    Welcome to the new thread

for comping and non comping chat leaving the rest of the board for comping discussions

previous thread here
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
Page 175
    • sheils6
    • By sheils6 17th Oct 16, 9:03 PM
    • 14,646 Posts
    • 101,006 Thanks
    sheils6
    Hope your ear is better soon rose - sounds nasty.
    Remember DH being up all night with ear ache many years ago. Think he just got antibiotics though. It got better really quickly.

Actually had quite a nice day here as the rain didn't arrive until tonight.
    We have Gas workers on the street for the next 4 weeks though and at least one day we won't have any gas and they will need to check things before it goes back on. They are digging holes and replacing pipes everywhere so will be fun!
    Best Wins of 2016 - Forest Lodge Break, Ston Easton Break & Products of Year,
    • rosemac
    • By rosemac 17th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    • 5,519 Posts
    • 30,927 Thanks
    rosemac
    Don't envy you the gas men shiels. Remember when they replaced our pipes a few years ago. Road was closed and nobody could get their car in or out for days. There was a diversion but it was no use to us as we were right beside the pipe laying. So keep an eye on them when they appear outside your house.
    • leanfun30
    • By leanfun30 17th Oct 16, 9:30 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 18,005 Thanks
    leanfun30
    Pleased you have been able to see the Doctor Rose. Hope it all clears up soon. Hugs.

Sheils hope all goes well with pipes. When we had ours done was the last time we were burgled. The machinery hide anyone jumping over our wall.

Thanks everyone for pics made me smile.

Well real strange weekend. DH left his tablets at DSs when we brought them home on Friday for the weekend. This caused confusion for GS. Tablet meant something like iPad. I had to explain they were meds. They are catching on to the language differences.
    Yesterday I was going to go back with DS on the train but trains didn't line up with buses the other end. Last bus 5.45pm. So yesterday we all went back and DH and I came home this evening. Really tired now.

Tomorrow we are having a smart gas smart metre fitted. When I spoke to my brother today he said he would not have one until he had to because of health risks. DH just went ahead and agreed and booked it without looking into it. So hope it's going to be ok.

Sunshine and showers today.

Good luck everyone for coming week.
    • sheils6
    • By sheils6 17th Oct 16, 9:35 PM
    • 14,646 Posts
    • 101,006 Thanks
    sheils6
    They have it all marked out where they are digging rose and have promised not to block peoples drives without speaking to us first so fingers crossed.
    There are only 8 houses in the part they are working on and we are the last so they haven't bothered us today. Most of pipes are on our side of road though (typical) They have left road pretty well ok tonight which is good as it is one of the main ways into the scheme and part of a bus route. Will park the car up the road if it looks like a problem as it isn't being touched as it was built later - this house used to be the last one years ago.
    • wingobins
    • By wingobins 17th Oct 16, 11:30 PM
    • 20,398 Posts
    • 364,991 Thanks
    wingobins
    I don't envy you Sheils with the road works, they started putting pipes in our road and two yrs on and the roads still a mess with pot holes, stones and people's gardens/drives dug up and not repaired!

Hope the ear gets better soon Rose, it's very painful having earache xx

Kids are so funny these days leanfun when it comes to technology! My kids think it's hilarious that I still have some video tapes but they're all home videos on them! Hope the smart metre doesn't cause any problems for you.

Have you managed to catch up after your visitors left fire**fly? You can guarantee visitors drop by when you least expect them! Hope it's stopped raining for you. We've had fireworks going off already here so had to keep jasper in.

Well done to any winners I've missed

I've been searching the house in the hope of finding a lottery millionaire ticket that hasn't been claimed in our area! I very much doubt it was me but worth looking!
    Had DD back to drs and she gave her some other tablets to try and also put a urine sample in. Here's hoping tablets work as she can't afford to miss any more school through sickness.
    Big thanks to all who contribute to the forums. Be lucky everyone!
    • sheils6
    • By sheils6 18th Oct 16, 7:43 AM
    • 14,646 Posts
    • 101,006 Thanks
    sheils6

Thanks everyone for cheering me up with stories of burglaries, potholes and unrepaired drives etc! They won't be able to leave street in a mess anyway as it is a bus route and our gas pipe runs across lawn not drive which is better. Know one neighbour is worried as their drive is fairly new and that is where pipe is. They are supposed to be putting new pipes inside old ones which sounds strange.
    Still not 100% sure if DS3 coming down today or if he got us a room at Gleneagles for Thursday night but all should become clear this afternoon!
    Having DD and bf for dinner anyway. DH has apointments with nurse and for haircut today and I need to go shopping so will be busy day.

Hope your ear feels better and you got some sleep rose.

Didn't know there could be health risks with smart meters leanfun. When I go onto British Gas site it keeps asking if I want to make an appointment to get one fitted but I keep ignoring it.

Would be nice if you won a few million wingo! Hope the tablets work for your DD. It is horrid being sick.

Hope everyone has a lucky day.

sheils x
    Last edited by sheils6; 18-10-2016 at 7:46 AM.
    • indie
    • By indie 18th Oct 16, 8:07 AM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 11,166 Thanks
    indie
    Morning, very dull and overcast here,looks like rain is on the way.Hope you feel better soon rose and the tablets work for your DD wingo. I have a couple of days off work now, time to catch up with everything. Hope you all have a lucky day.
    • leanfun30
    • By leanfun30 18th Oct 16, 8:26 AM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 18,005 Thanks
    leanfun30
    Sheils we only had gas pipes out in the Road not up to the house. Hope they don't cause too much problems.

We didn't know about health problems either with smart metres and like you when DH went on BG site they kept on about it. We will see. No more nectar points for DHs metre reading.

Lo at your DS having to start work as soon as he arrived on Arran after long journey. My niece's partner is a chef at a prestigious golf course in the south and I know they have to work very long hours and the pay is not that great.

Hope you had a better night Rose.

Wingo would be great if you had winning ticket. Hope medicine works for DD2

Alfie we desperately need some pruning to bushes in our garden but it's all very wet now and I think I have a quiet dsy today. Just need to tackle the pile of sheets that need washing.

Sylvia you have certainly been busy since you moved. Hope all's well.

Indie you must find it easier with your shorter shifts.

Take care Firefly enjoy pottering about.

Wishing everyone a lucky day.
    • rosemac
    • By rosemac 18th Oct 16, 8:49 AM
    • 5,519 Posts
    • 30,927 Thanks
    rosemac
    Morning all. Had about four hours last night. Still feeling tired out. Suppose you never catch up on sleep. Rain here last night was horrible . It was absolutely throwing it down. Really very heavy. Have to go out for an hour this morning. So I am going to nip in to butchers and get some mince and have mince and mashed potatoes for dinner. Have been surving on soup and custard last few days as chewing is too painfull. Enough of my moaning.Hope the meds work quickly for your DD wingo. Have a lucky day peeps.
    • sheils6
    • By sheils6 18th Oct 16, 9:13 AM
    • 14,646 Posts
    • 101,006 Thanks
    sheils6
    Just had word from DS3 and he is on his way home and has booked us a night at Gleneagles for friends and family rate of £65. Just checked and they want £365 for it online!!!!!

http://www.gleneagles.com/
    • rosemac
    • By rosemac 18th Oct 16, 9:22 AM
    • 5,519 Posts
    • 30,927 Thanks
    rosemac
    Shiels I went to a fancy dinner there with work years ago. You will love it and the food is fab if you are having dinner there. But it is rather expensive. Oh and don't use room service or you will be in for a shock.
    • indie
    • By indie 18th Oct 16, 9:56 AM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 11,166 Thanks
    indie
    wow sheils that's a nice treat for you. Can't believe people pay £365 for a room.Mind you if we were rich we would i expect as it's nothing to money people..lol
    • sheils6
    • By sheils6 18th Oct 16, 10:07 AM
    • 14,646 Posts
    • 101,006 Thanks
    sheils6
    Shiels I went to a fancy dinner there with work years ago. You will love it and the food is fab if you are having dinner there. But it is rather expensive. Oh and don't use room service or you will be in for a shock.
    Originally posted by rosemac
    Don't think we will be dining there rose. Maybe another time when we are celebrating something. Expect DS3 would like us to sample their cooking but we are just really running him back so he can have 2 nights at home. Definately won't use room service - never do!

wow sheils that's a nice treat for you. Can't believe people pay £365 for a room.Mind you if we were rich we would i expect as it's nothing to money people..lol
    Originally posted by indie
    Don't think I could pay that indie no matter how rich I was!
    We aren't making DS3 pay it by the way. DH really wanted to try it and breakfast is supposed to be out of this world according to someone we know who was given a golf package as a present.
    • fire**fly
    • By fire**fly 18th Oct 16, 10:09 AM
    • 133,738 Posts
    • 3,588,459 Thanks
    fire**fly

good morning all

bucketing it down here again this morning

hope all goes ok with the gas pipe laying sheils,
    wow, Gleneagles looks lovely, enjoy the stay

lol @ your GS's leanfun it's true that have a language
    of their own
    sometimes when ours text I have to figure out half the acronyms they use
    hope the smart meter will be ok for you,

lol, did just about catch up yesterday wingo but do we ever really catch up on here
    would be lovely for you to have a nice big cash win on lottery,
    fingers crossed for you x

great you've a couple of days off indie x

((hugs)) rose x
    have a great day all & hopefully a lucky one
    x
    'What day is it?' asked Pooh 'It's today' squeaked Piglet, 'My favorite day' said Pooh
    ━☆.* fairysprinkles ★¸¸.☆.¸¸.*¨‘*
    all
    • rosemac
    • By rosemac 18th Oct 16, 11:07 AM
    • 5,519 Posts
    • 30,927 Thanks
    rosemac
    Home again. Shiels breakfast is fab in Gleneagles and just wait till you see the choice on the menu, It is absolutely freezing outside, Ear is now absolutely throbbing. Will have to look out wooly hat I have. Look a sight in it but who cares.
    • AlfieBlue
    • By AlfieBlue 18th Oct 16, 4:19 PM
    • 11,412 Posts
    • 45,787 Thanks
    AlfieBlue

Hellooeee everyone!

It's a beautiful day here - blue sky and sunshine ....
    lovely for working outside!

Top soil was delivered yesterday (in 16 25L bags) so
    have been sorting that out all day. The bags are a
    blessing - so manageable and the soil is excellent quality -
    I'm so pleased with it that I've ordered another 16 bags to
    work into my borders, etc.

Hope your ear has settled down again now rose and stopped
    throbbing - don't worry about wearing the woolly hat - so
    long as it keeps your ear warm - it's doing its job.

Gleneagles looks beautiful sheils - great bargain too at
    family rate of £65.00. £365 online is just ridiculous!!!

I'd never heard of health issues after having smart meters
    installed either leanfun - I've just googled 'smart meter -
    health issues uk' and found all sorts of things about them!

I'm guessing a lot of it is hogwash! I'm sure you will be
    fine.

Have you found the winning lottery millionaire ticket yet
    wingo? If you find it .... me thinks drinkies could be
    on you for quite some time!

Have a lovely few days off work indie.

Take care all and enjoy the rest of the day. Just off to make
    myself another cuppa and catch up on comps.

Alfie xxx
    HELP for HEROES

#findcorrie

The Alphabetty Happy Chatty Early(ish) Bird
    • wingobins
    • By wingobins 19th Oct 16, 12:29 AM
    • 20,398 Posts
    • 364,991 Thanks
    wingobins
    Wow Sheils, that hotel looks stunning! I guess it's not a shorts or jeans hotel though! That's great your son got you a good deal

Alfie, you're gonna be really busy laying all that soil! Can't you motivate my hubby ...he could really do with a kick up the backside!

Hope you enjoyed your days off indie I just love days off!

Fire**fly, I agree, I can't get caught up on here anymore either. I don't think the missing lottery ticket would have been mine and if it is...it's in the recycling now!

I soooo need some wins in for Xmas. It's so expensive nowadays for what the kids like. They haven't really asked for stuff but I know what they really want. Gone are the days when I would win most of Xmas!
    Big thanks to all who contribute to the forums. Be lucky everyone!
    • indie
    • By indie 19th Oct 16, 7:30 AM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 11,166 Thanks
    indie
    Morning everyone,just getting light here,sad i can't hear the birds chattering anymore. They must be having a lie in..lol. Can't believe how close christmas is wingo. It seems to creep us on us. Time to catch up with the dailys, hope everyone has a lucky day.
    • sheils6
    • By sheils6 19th Oct 16, 7:34 AM
    • 14,646 Posts
    • 101,006 Thanks
    sheils6

Looking forward to a quieter day today - seemed to have so much to do yesterday. Had a lovely pork roast dinner last night with all the trimmings including cauliflower cheese and creamy leek mash. Everyone seemed to really enjoy it. Roast meals go down really well with family as they seldom have them. DS3 making something with tuna steaks we were given so I won't be cooking tonight.

Hope you have got caught up FF. I made a valiant attemp the other night but didn't manage anything yesterday really.

Could do with some topsoil too Alfie. We are still trying to trim all the bushes at the moment although I haven't had time to help lately.

Hope your ear is better today rose. Had to laugh about the wooly hat. Always think DH looks like a mass murderer when he wears his.

Shame it wasn't your ticket wingo. Know what you mean about not winning for Xmas. I only have a book to use for a Xmas present this year although I do have £80 in Amazon which includes a few little wins, mainly cash back though.Don't really have many big presents to buy as everyone is working themselves now. Only 1 nephew to buy for now - used to be 6.

Hope you are enjoying your days off indie.

leanfun, Sylvia, 3for, SueMaggie, April and anyone else passing through.

sheils x
    • rosemac
    • By rosemac 19th Oct 16, 9:09 AM
    • 5,519 Posts
    • 30,927 Thanks
    rosemac
    Morning all Chilly one again here. Had a better sleeo last night although not a long one. Ear still painfull. Have to go out again this morning so wooly hat will be on. LOL at your hubby with wooly hat shiels. They are not very flattering although must say DS suit his as well as a few others I know. Anyway good luck for today everyone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

269Posts Today

2,246Users online

Martin's Twitter