Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Nice People Thread No. 15, a Cyber Summer

Options

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,005 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    But not tear.

Against selection by house price or against selection by ability?

I've been reading a lot recently about why educationalists are against grammar schools, real eye opening stuff. Up until now I thought that they were generally well thought of.

Any links?
    I think....
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Can't remember......there was a very mercurial cook, though! :D called Grumio.

Ah yes, twas the cook.
    Pyxis wrote: »
    In my day, ALL grammar schools taught it. Nowt posh about it!

At my school, Latin was compulsory for the first 2 years, along with French. When we then made our O-Level choices, if we wanted to do any languages, French had to be the first, Latin had to be the second, then, if we wanted a third, we had a choice of German, Spanish or Greek - the latter being classical I think, not modern.

Some sixth formers also had a bash at O-Level Russian in addition to their A-level choices - but I think that was solely because we happened to have a teacher who could do it in addition to his usual subjects..

The sciences were similar - Biology, Physics and Chemistry for the first 2 years, then we could drop Biology and replace it with something else if we wanted - I did Design & Technology instead.

To complete the 9 O-levels we were expected to take, maths and English Language were compulsory. I think English Literature was as well but can't remember for sure - I suspect it was else I'd have chosen something else instead ;)
  • chris_m
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    I've been reading a lot recently about why educationalists are against grammar schools, real eye opening stuff. Up until now I thought that they were generally well thought of.
    Any links?

There was an article on the BBC News site last week with, IIRC - views from ex-Grammar people, ex-Secondary Modern people and teachers from both.
  • michaels
    Options
    chris_m wrote: »
    Ah yes, twas the cook.

At my school, Latin was compulsory for the first 2 years, along with French. When we then made our O-Level choices, if we wanted to do any languages, French had to be the first, Latin had to be the second, then, if we wanted a third, we had a choice of German, Spanish or Greek - the latter being classical I think, not modern.

Some sixth formers also had a bash at O-Level Russian in addition to their A-level choices - but I think that was solely because we happened to have a teacher who could do it in addition to his usual subjects..

The sciences were similar - Biology, Physics and Chemistry for the first 2 years, then we could drop Biology and replace it with something else if we wanted - I did Design & Technology instead.

To complete the 9 O-levels we were expected to take, maths and English Language were compulsory. I think English Literature was as well but can't remember for sure - I suspect it was else I'd have chosen something else instead ;)

I have this strong suspicion we were at school in the same county at a similar time?
    I think....
  • chris_m
    Options
    I have this strong suspicion we were at school in the same county at a similar time?

Mine started with a K and was in Southampton, I was there from '76 to '82.
  • michaels
    Options
    Mine started with a K and was in Southampton, I was there from '76 to '82.

I remember, we have had this conversation before, I was a bit to the NE beginning with S and 5 years later. Not much chance of my being retired in 5 years time :(
    I think....
  • chris_m
    Options
    I remember, we have had this conversation before, I was a bit to the NE beginning with S and 5 years later. Not much chance of my being retired in 5 years time :(

Ah yes - maybe both schools used the same exam board, therefore offered similar course ranges.

As to retirement - I was fortunate enough to be able to do so extremely early, at least eight years earlier than I had previously expected. However, I do have a long wait to see if I'll actually get a State Pension.
  • michaels
    Options
    Ah yes - maybe both schools used the same exam board, therefore offered similar course ranges.

As to retirement - I was fortunate enough to be able to do so extremely early, at least eight years earlier than I had previously expected. However, I do have a long wait to see if I'll actually get a State Pension.

My kids do not finish school for another 11 years so I can't imagine being able to retire before that point - although I am looking at whether I could reduce to exactly 24 hours/week from next April as potentially the remaining 13.5 hours might only be worth 4k net. Combine overpaying pension with downsizing and a frugal lifestyle and I guess retirement in 11 years is not impossible (a la pastures) and any future inheritance would make things easier still although hopefully not for many years. The problem of factoring this in is that it won't happen until after it is too late to do anything about it if it doesn't happen.....
    I think....
  • chris_m
    Options
    My kids do not finish school for another 11 years so I can't imagine being able to retire before that point - although I am looking at whether I could reduce to exactly 24 hours/week from next April as potentially the remaining 13.5 hours might only be worth 4k net. Combine overpaying pension with downsizing and a frugal lifestyle and I guess retirement in 11 years is not impossible

11 years worth of sending the kids out chimney sweeping evenings and weekends should help there, especially if you also cut out this;
    We do use about 20,000l a year filling the kids 'pool' which probably doesn't help (and I hardly dare mention that that is 20,000l of softened, heated water....)

:p:p:p:p
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Any links?

Anything by Sam Freedman would be a possible place to start.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure