Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cosm0
    • By Cosm0 8th Feb 16, 10:30 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Cosm0
    Positive drug test - poppy seeds!!! beware!!
    • 8th Feb 16, 10:30 PM
    Positive drug test - poppy seeds!!! beware!! 8th Feb 16 at 10:30 PM
    Hi there.
    This morning done urine drug test by employers request. Drug test screening for Urine test drug came out positive for opiates (COM). I have done it twice in the presence of employer.
    To my shame and frustration both time drug test came positive for opiates, despite I have done another drug test Friday, 5th February (three days ago) and it came out all negative. Of course, because I never ever tried a drugs. I spent half day for doctors and wasted £120 for doctors -no one seems to know a cause until I accidentally saw a white bloomer from Morrison shopping centre in my kitchen. Hell, I had a breakfast just before drug test containing four large slices!! I googled poppy seed opiates and found that poppy seeds providing large amounts of morphine in urine and causing positive for opiates. Sorted! printed some info and booked (again!!) visit to local GP. This time I took evidence: info from Wikipedia. This time doctor was more softer and wrote down letter saying positive opiate test was possibly indicated by poppy seeds, as patient believes it.
    I am going tomorrow with this letter to employer (agency). Can I still apply for a job and drug test on the same company? Or it is over?
Page 2
    • kaya
    • By kaya 7th Sep 17, 3:46 PM
    • 2,344 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    kaya
    so for next time, just say you had toothache and brought some over the counter co-codamol from boots
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 7th Sep 17, 3:47 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 3,776 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    What type of job is it that requires drug testing? I find this general creep towards employers sticking their nose into employee's private lives quite concerning. I can't really see the justification for drug testing unless perhaps you are doing a safety critical job like a pilot or surgeon, but even then without reasonable suspicion it hardly seems proportionate.
    Originally posted by SomeRandomGuy
    Also to add to the already posted lists, how about any factory job where machinery is used?

The company I work for drug test all candidates, not only for work heath and safety concerns but also, as we build cars, the safety of the customer doing 70 (ish ) down the motorway in their 2 tonne lump of metal.

I believe that we can be randomly drug/alcohol tested but have never known it happen.

It is even stricter for the agency forklift truck drivers, who, if they have even the most minor of incidents are immediately drug and alcohol tested and not allowed back on the trucks until they have had a driving re-test.
    • Wookey
    • By Wookey 7th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Wookey
    Walter White is about to return in a new TV series called..............Breaking Bread
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 7th Sep 17, 4:18 PM
    • 18,437 Posts
    • 14,150 Thanks
    agrinnall
    This is an 18 month old thread resurrected by a would-be spammer, any advice to the OP is likely to be well past it's sell by date.
    • TyreLever
    • By TyreLever 7th Sep 17, 5:29 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    TyreLever
    This is an 18 month old thread resurrected by a would-be spammer, any advice to the OP is likely to be well past it's sell by date.
    Originally posted by agrinnall

Yeah I know, but when googling for advice, old forum threads are typically the most useful results. Sometimes I can find an answer in a 5+ year old thread I stumbled across in a web search. Any contribution, even after a significant amount of time has the potential to be useful. If old threads were really that useless, why would websites bother keeping them? Some websites do lock them after a while of inactivity.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 7th Sep 17, 10:12 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    I dont know what the OP is worried about...i inject at work.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

310Posts Today

3,230Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin