Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cosm0
    • By Cosm0 8th Feb 16, 10:30 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Cosm0
    Positive drug test - poppy seeds!!! beware!!
    • 8th Feb 16, 10:30 PM
    Positive drug test - poppy seeds!!! beware!! 8th Feb 16 at 10:30 PM
    Hi there.
    This morning done urine drug test by employers request. Drug test screening for Urine test drug came out positive for opiates (COM). I have done it twice in the presence of employer.
    To my shame and frustration both time drug test came positive for opiates, despite I have done another drug test Friday, 5th February (three days ago) and it came out all negative. Of course, because I never ever tried a drugs. I spent half day for doctors and wasted £120 for doctors -no one seems to know a cause until I accidentally saw a white bloomer from Morrison shopping centre in my kitchen. Hell, I had a breakfast just before drug test containing four large slices!! I googled poppy seed opiates and found that poppy seeds providing large amounts of morphine in urine and causing positive for opiates. Sorted! printed some info and booked (again!!) visit to local GP. This time I took evidence: info from Wikipedia. This time doctor was more softer and wrote down letter saying positive opiate test was possibly indicated by poppy seeds, as patient believes it.
    I am going tomorrow with this letter to employer (agency). Can I still apply for a job and drug test on the same company? Or it is over?
Page 1
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 8th Feb 16, 10:39 PM
    • 8,541 Posts
    • 13,013 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 8th Feb 16, 10:39 PM
    • 8th Feb 16, 10:39 PM
    Here is a good source- http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/poppyseed.asp
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Bordeuax
    • By Bordeuax 8th Feb 16, 10:41 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Bordeuax
    • 8th Feb 16, 10:41 PM
    • 8th Feb 16, 10:41 PM
    did you feel high?
    • Bordeuax
    • By Bordeuax 8th Feb 16, 10:48 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Bordeuax
    • 8th Feb 16, 10:48 PM
    • 8th Feb 16, 10:48 PM
    It say you have too eat 12 in one go..youll be high anyway eating all that bread.Seen the report and it can give you a false reading .
    That means if druggies fail the drugs test, ''oh I just had a poppy seeded bagel'
    • PenguinOfDeath
    • By PenguinOfDeath 8th Feb 16, 10:50 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 7,882 Thanks
    PenguinOfDeath
    • 8th Feb 16, 10:50 PM
    • 8th Feb 16, 10:50 PM
    This time I took evidence: info from Wikipedia.
    Originally posted by Cosm0
    • Bordeuax
    • By Bordeuax 8th Feb 16, 10:55 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Bordeuax
    • 8th Feb 16, 10:55 PM
    • 8th Feb 16, 10:55 PM
    yeah...
    http://boingboing.net/2011/05/03/can-poppy-seeds-get.htm
    just seen the link, looks even worse, ha
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 9th Feb 16, 5:51 PM
    • 15,791 Posts
    • 39,492 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 9th Feb 16, 5:51 PM
    • 9th Feb 16, 5:51 PM
    http://www.usada.org/can-poppyseeds-cause-a-positive-drug-test/

I would say this information is bit more reliable! Can you show a receipt for your white bloomer bought that week-end? That might help your case.
    • SomeRandomGuy
    • By SomeRandomGuy 9th Feb 16, 6:36 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    SomeRandomGuy
    • 9th Feb 16, 6:36 PM
    • 9th Feb 16, 6:36 PM
    What type of job is it that requires drug testing? I find this general creep towards employers sticking their nose into employee's private lives quite concerning. I can't really see the justification for drug testing unless perhaps you are doing a safety critical job like a pilot or surgeon, but even then without reasonable suspicion it hardly seems proportionate.
    • KellyKoo
    • By KellyKoo 9th Feb 16, 8:10 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    KellyKoo
    • 9th Feb 16, 8:10 PM
    • 9th Feb 16, 8:10 PM
    I so want some Poppy Seed toast now.
    • Wayne O Mac
    • By Wayne O Mac 9th Feb 16, 9:34 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    Wayne O Mac
    Of course, because I never ever tried a drugs.
    Originally posted by Cosm0
    The coherence of your posting suggests otherwise.
    • summerlady
    • By summerlady 10th Feb 16, 9:22 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 1,238 Thanks
    summerlady
    What type of job is it that requires drug testing? I find this general creep towards employers sticking their nose into employee's private lives quite concerning. I can't really see the justification for drug testing unless perhaps you are doing a safety critical job like a pilot or surgeon, but even then without reasonable suspicion it hardly seems proportionate.
    Originally posted by SomeRandomGuy
    Many driving jobs where passengers are involved - coach, bus, train, plane. I think some other roles where operation of heavy plant is involved.

The employers have a duty of care towards passengers and other workers - as do the workers themselves.

Being under the influence of drugs can significantly impair performance - reaction times and judgement.
    Grocery challenge 2017 January £158.74/£200
    Grocery challenge February £100.91/£190
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th Feb 16, 9:37 AM
    • 29,956 Posts
    • 18,971 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Many driving jobs where passengers are involved - coach, bus, train, plane. I think some other roles where operation of heavy plant is involved.

The employers have a duty of care towards passengers and other workers - as do the workers themselves.

Being under the influence of drugs can significantly impair performance - reaction times and judgement.
    Originally posted by summerlady
    You can add staff working in a distribution depot to that list, using the electric fork lift trucks when high on drugs is a lethal concoction.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 10th Feb 16, 9:58 AM
    • 6,228 Posts
    • 11,234 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    I don't get this, surely if you tested positive in urine your employer would be requesting more accurate samples like blood or hair?
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Cosm0
    • By Cosm0 8th Mar 16, 3:02 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Cosm0
    It is a very complicated test and I personally do not believe that they people did not know about poppy seeds. Especially when they employing for an alcohol distribution warehouse job on a weekly (might be monthly) basis and doing this test on weekly (monthly) basis.
    I heard stories on net that an entire platoon in army have failed drug test because on breakfast they had poppy seed bread. And of course, after research they have been reinstated.
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 8th Mar 16, 8:08 PM
    • 3,186 Posts
    • 8,824 Thanks
    nimbo
    Co codmol would test positive.
    I don't think that the urine testing kits we use at work would pick up the metabolites of poppy seeds - I've never head that excuse.

And I've been given lucozade in a pee pot.

- me you wee looks a very dark orange and appears to be lightly fizzing. Oh look a lucozade bottle in the toilet bin!

- client - oh urrrrm. Have you got another pot?

- me yes. Do we need to bother though? What have you used?

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 3 / 500
    • Andy L
    • By Andy L 8th Mar 16, 8:18 PM
    • 8,438 Posts
    • 6,734 Thanks
    Andy L
    I so want some Poppy Seed toast now.
    Originally posted by KellyKoo
    Ok, so I do toast a bit...I can handle it...I can control it
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 8th Mar 16, 8:20 PM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    did you smoke or snort the seeds op?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 28th Sep 16, 10:42 AM
    • 18,420 Posts
    • 14,135 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Its helps to me knowing about the Poppy Seeds.I think now a days you will stop eating poppy seeds because it is not good for your health. When you are going to interview for a new job.
    Originally posted by deannahupp369
    Thanks for that contribution Deanna. I'd also suggest that you lay off the .
    • Sparhawke
    • By Sparhawke 28th Sep 16, 12:39 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 2,383 Thanks
    Sparhawke
    Any doctor worth his/her salt would know to ask about poppy seeds and suchlike with respect to false positives...
    "Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck" - The Doctor.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 7th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    • 18,420 Posts
    • 14,135 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Poppy seeds on that bagel you love can cause a urine drug test to come back positive for opioids. Poppy seeds are also used as a flavorful ingredient in many popular foods,
    Originally posted by WilliamsJohn
    Did you also know that employers are now also testing for , and you've failed?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

263Posts Today

1,297Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin