Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Steve
    • By MSE Steve 5th Feb 16, 4:32 PM
    • 66Posts
    • 22Thanks
    MSE Steve
    MSE News: Credit cards cancelled after mystery online shopping 'data breach'
    • 5th Feb 16, 4:32 PM
    MSE News: Credit cards cancelled after mystery online shopping 'data breach' 5th Feb 16 at 4:32 PM
    A data breach at an unidentified online retailer could have led to credit card users having their account details "compromised", MoneySavingExpert has learned. Tesco Bank has already cancelled a number of its customers' cards as a "precautionary measure"....

Read the full story:
    'Credit cards cancelled after mystery online shopping 'data breach''

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 2
    • marypoppins999
    • By marypoppins999 6th Feb 16, 11:16 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    marypoppins999
    my husband had his bank card cancelled by RBS because he had used it in Tesco not pay at pump just the store.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 6th Feb 16, 4:26 PM
    • 13,789 Posts
    • 61,173 Thanks
    I luv cats
    I had a potential fraud letter from 'Capital one' in one envelope AND a new card in another.

(new end date and 3 digit number)

They say they are being precautionary by issuing a new card.

(only store card on Nowtv/HungryHouse/Tesco.com/Paypal)

Use Amazon one session at time, no storing.
    • Steamrunner
    • By Steamrunner 6th Feb 16, 8:21 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Steamrunner
    My card was cancelled today by Tesco, however I have only used it for Evernote, Audible and Ocado Smart subscriptions. It hasn't been used to buy anything for over a year, probably even two. Not pay at pump, not Dartford, nothing. I've cancelled the account anyway as I don't need it any more.

I'm wondering if it's actually a payment processor that's been breached- worldpay or something like that, maybe.
    • reclusive46
    • By reclusive46 6th Feb 16, 9:08 PM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 808 Thanks
    reclusive46
    Two work colleagues had their corporate Amex cards cancelled today for the same reason. So it must be a retailer that takes Amex. It also rules out the payment processor theory as Amex transactions don't touch any payment processors.
    • KevinLawry
    • By KevinLawry 7th Feb 16, 11:21 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    KevinLawry
    My AmEx issued through MBNA was cancelled due to a fraudulent payment on the night of the 4th as well - the fraud attempt was a purchase at House of Fraser in London, I use many online sites so it could be any of them that were compromised
    • megaginge
    • By megaginge 7th Feb 16, 11:29 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    megaginge
    Must be Tesco..
    Hello There.
    • tgroom57
    • By tgroom57 7th Feb 16, 12:12 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 12,532 Thanks
    tgroom57
    So far, I'm not affected. But I did have a *lot* of trouble with a payment page this week that just happens to belong to an online-only retailer on the Clubcard Boost list.

Did the Tesco cardholders use any of the retailers in Clubcard Boost?
    Last edited by tgroom57; 07-02-2016 at 12:36 PM.

• Monty Mouse
    • By Monty Mouse 9th Feb 16, 4:00 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Monty Mouse
    I received a text message this morning for my MBNA card stating it was at risk and they were sending me a new card.

I phoned the customer service number on the back of the card to check this was a genuine message, I had my card cloned a few weeks back so I am a bit sensitive about it at the moment.

MBNA customer service confirmed that a retailer had suffered a release of credit card details involving a large number of customers and that as a precaution they were identifying those exposed and contacted them. They refused point blank to tell me the retailer.

On the one hand I am happy that MBNA seem to be on the ball, but I am seriously not happy that they will not tell me who has released my personal details. These are my details after all and I was under the impression that anyone holding credit card information had to meet PCI standards to ensure the details are safe and secure. I don't want to do business with a company that fails to do this.
    • montys
    • By montys 9th Feb 16, 9:18 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    montys
    I also received a text from MBNA saying my card had been compromised. If it is an online retailer I can narrow it down as I always use my Amex card where possible, so it's not a retailer than accepts Amex. My wife also has an MBNA card and also got the text so it has to be an online retailer that we've both used, which narrows it down even further. The only three companies that I believe match are :
    John Lewis Insurance
    Craghoppers
    DVLA (for pay Car Tax).
    • King Of Fools
    • By King Of Fools 9th Feb 16, 9:58 PM
    • 1,545 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    King Of Fools
    John Lewis Insurance
    Craghoppers
    DVLA (for pay Car Tax).
    Originally posted by montys
    Have never use the first two and have never paid DVLA with a credit card. I wonder if the DVLA use the same payment processing as the Dartford Toll.
    • Monty Mouse
    • By Monty Mouse 10th Feb 16, 11:11 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Monty Mouse
    I've just logged a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office regarding MBNA refusing to provide me details of who has breached my personal data as these are after all my details, so I have a right to know, and without any information regarding the breach I don't know what appropriate action I need to take to.

I've also asked whether they are aware of what sounds like a major breach of DPA and PCI and what they are doing to investigate it. I'm interested to see what they come back with, sadly there is a 30 day response time.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 10th Feb 16, 12:10 PM
    • 4,421 Posts
    • 1,807 Thanks
    brewerdave
    ..if its the DVLA there will be hell to pay ...I've just taxed both my cars using a debit card on their site !!!
    • jockosjungle
    • By jockosjungle 10th Feb 16, 1:42 PM
    • 750 Posts
    • 3,464 Thanks
    jockosjungle
    Mine was cancelled also, I'm not really seeing a pattern here I've never been on the Dartford tunnel and use my card a fair bit. My suspicion is it might be Tesco on the basis they're not telling, but I've no idea.

Just generally annoying, my wife has been without any means of paying for stuff for a week now (i have another CC). I'd have thought some sort of compensation would be appropriate from someone.

It could have been something hacked from ages ago, I would be interested to know who it was.
    • anna42hmr
    • By anna42hmr 10th Feb 16, 9:02 PM
    • 2,366 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    anna42hmr
    I've just logged a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office regarding MBNA refusing to provide me details of who has breached my personal data as these are after all my details, so I have a right to know, and without any information regarding the breach I don't know what appropriate action I need to take to.

I've also asked whether they are aware of what sounds like a major breach of DPA and PCI and what they are doing to investigate it. I'm interested to see what they come back with, sadly there is a 30 day response time.
    Originally posted by Monty Mouse
    you may also want to try submitting a DSAR request to MBNA as you may find they have recorded who it is on your record, may cost £10 but would be worth if if you knew for certain.
    MFW # 105

2015 Target £7000/ Overpaid £8095
    2016 Target £6000 / Overpaid £6983.24
    2017 Target £3500 / £2722.08 so far as at August
    • RavingMad
    • By RavingMad 9th Mar 16, 9:14 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    RavingMad
    Just adding to this thread; I was returning some items to Craghoppers during the time that my card was being re-issued and to date, still waiting for the refund.

Rang Tesco this morning , they checked the old account and sure enough, the refund was sitting there! The guy said that anything like that isn't automatically transferred to the new account. I was so relieved at the time and pleased how quickly he processed it, that it's only just occurred to me to ask why it wasn't automatically done?
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 9th Mar 16, 9:48 AM
    • 51,388 Posts
    • 21,755 Thanks
    grumbler
    ... The guy said that anything like that isn't automatically transferred to the new account.
    Originally posted by RavingMad
    It possibly isn't at Tesco, but is at other providers. Normally only the card changes; account remains the same.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 11th Apr 16, 2:45 PM
    • 13,789 Posts
    • 61,173 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Has anybody had any further problems with their replacement cards ???

Since my card was replaced I've had a series of recent fraudulent activity (mentioned on credit card forum) so my card will have to be replaced again!

Don't know if it is linked to the breach but they didn't change the card number.
    • JackyB
    • By JackyB 16th Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JackyB
    Tesco credit card stopped
    Still waiting for replacement card!
    My details are stored on Tesco, Sainsbury, Amazon and PayPal. I use PayPal for most on line purchases and often won't complete an order to a retailer if they don't offer PayPal.
    I buy in store and online at Tesco and also use the pay at pump, but imo Amazon does seem the likely suspect at the moment.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 16th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    • 8,824 Posts
    • 12,804 Thanks
    meer53

Originally posted by Monty Mouse
    The breach will be subject to a Police investigation so it's highly unlikely you'll be told anything. Appropriate action has been taken by the card issuers, you're protected by them for any fraud. It's possibly only the card details that have been compromised, not your personal details so i'd calm down a bit and let them get on with it.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 16th Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    Still waiting for replacement card!
    My details are stored on Tesco, Sainsbury, Amazon and PayPal. I use PayPal for most on line purchases and often won't complete an order to a retailer if they don't offer PayPal.
    I buy in store and online at Tesco and also use the pay at pump, but imo Amazon does seem the likely suspect at the moment.
    Originally posted by JackyB
    You've been waiting for a replacement card for over a year????

Have you considered contacting Tesco Bank to find out what's happened to your replacement card?

As for PayPal, I avoid it where possible.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

8Posts Today

3,683Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin