Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 5th Feb 16, 10:35 AM
    • 846Posts
    • 3,774Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!
    • 5th Feb 16, 10:35 AM
    Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free! 5th Feb 16 at 10:35 AM
    Hi all!
    So from my title you may have guessed I don't yet have a mortgage, however I am hoping that will all change within the next few weeks.
    I will then start on overpaying the mortgage and really penny pinching to try and reduce it down as much as possible!

I'm hoping this is alright to start my diary in here? :-)

The story so far, my lovely girlfriend and I have been discussing getting a place together for some time. We started looking at houses (al very small and far from her parents- which is a no-no, we want to be close to them to visit regularly). Last weekend we went to see a new build development and fell in love with a house- less than 2 miles from her parents, perfect size for the two of us and within our budget (from getting mortgage in principle information and confirming monthly payments were well within our budgets).

Sooooo we took her parents round for their seal of approval, spoke with an agent we know through the family about pertinent questions to ask, did lots of number crunching and then placed a reservation.....

....so we've now got paperwork from solicitors re the conveyancing etc and paperwork from the mortgage advisors to sort out this weekend.
    We have re-jogged our budget to ensure we had the deposit in savings by end of Feb (we thought we'd have a few months before we found anywhere) so are ready to almost hand over £18500 :O

I have agreed to move into her parents house and pay rent in mid March to prevent paying rent, bills and food (will save an extra £500 a month) so we should be in a good position for when the house is ready September/October time!

Does anyone have any hints or tips so far?

Our brokers/solicitors are ones recommended by family who've used them and really recommend them and we've sense checked the rates the solicitors charge to ensure its competitive.
    Emergency savings- £701.54 /£1000
    Mortgage Oct '16- £170.995 LTV- 90%
    2016 OP target- £15.06 / £150 -
    Mortgage end date- Nov '41

NST: 42
Page 9
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 26th Sep 16, 10:41 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Eb*y update: only 1 of 6 items sold however that dvd went for £7.25 wooop

Listed five more items last night so didn't quite hit the amount I set as targets but relisted the items that didn't sell too.

Managed to buy some new boots in my local supermarket at lunch- 25% off today and will replace my well loved and redeemed 4x lace up knee high boots. £49 well spent on vouchers too!

House front: paid for
    house contents & building insurance- cash back through quidco and a free nest smoke detector.
    life insurance for me- £5.5 a month for five years- cash back through quidco
    tap is now paid for, will collect it tomorrow

All in all a rather speedy day- tomorrow is college after work so will pack breakfast, lunch & snacks to prevent a stop at services for food at 6pm!

We have a big announcement at work tomorrow and rumors of re-structures. Fingers crossed for good news (which would be a secure role even if it's different to the one I do now)

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 27th Sep 16, 11:05 AM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 18,965 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Almost there.

it's so easy to get carried away with the spending (I am going through the same thing with the kitchen at the moment) - but it will be fine and it will look lovely!

When you have MSE ways, it's easier to pay off the spends afterwards and you tend not to worry about it as much.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £99,090.90 (08.11.2016)
    OP's to Date £2000

Renovation Fund:£944.75; Kitchen Fund (including re-wiring): £notalotleft; Roof Fund £5000.00
    Nectar Points Balance: £35.49
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 27th Sep 16, 8:38 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Today has been a bit of a pants day- we both had organisational updates to attend where we were told our jobs are changing and we may be out into collective consultations- a number of jobs will go but we will know more Mid October.

Really not great timing but will try not to panic until we know more next month.....

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 29th Sep 16, 5:44 AM
    • 846 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    I'm so excited I have been awake for hours! Today is our new home demo where they talk us through how everything works

Squeeeeeeal!

I have today & tomorrow off work so will be calling flooring peeps to come & measure for quotes, plumber to fit the insinkerator tap, picking up the tap and then lots a trip to a sofa place that's been recommended.

We've both fallen in love with some Next sofas, however I've been told they have a lot of faults so am going to do some internet review checking. We've agreed to wait on the sofas until after the 13th when we know whether we are impacted by potential redundancy or not.

• gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 29th Sep 16, 5:58 AM
    • 16,052 Posts
    • 105,250 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Exciting times . Good luck on the redundancy

Check out M&S sofas, loads of styles and fabrics.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 2nd Oct 16, 8:05 AM
    • 846 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Phew! It's been a busy few days

We have finally completed on our first home.

We were given the keys yesterday (as Friday was a bad day in the Hindu calendar) and so far have completed the following:

Had a ritual to bless the house with the girlfriends family yesterday which was lovely
    Tiles for the kitchen, bathroom & en suite purchased- haggled for a little discount (got £88 off!)
    Met the tiler who has measured up and quoted- booked in to start on Thursday morning to do kitchen & two bathrooms.
    Broadband, tv and phone line with sky- hunted round for best deal & got a FREE 32" tv and should get £140 cash back with quidco too
    got carpet quote for upstairs from a guy who came out to measure up, have another company in for Friday morning to compare
    . Booked a snagging company in for Friday afternoon (not cheap but very much recommended by friends who've recently bought)
    booked in wardrobe fitters to measure up & quote (3 firms booked in and will then look at DIY options too)
    ordered two sofas and dining table suite from Next- no cashback or discount but we both loved at first sight (we hadn't agreed on any furniture on the months we'be been looking) so I'm very happy. Mum is buying the dining table & chairs as moving in present which is amazingly generous!

Am pleased with the tiler as we got several tile & tiler quotes and most wanted £1300 for the kitchen alone. We'be managed it on £1400 for adding two bathrooms & got tiles we love too!

All cashback will be going into the OP pot too as we've agreed op's will be minimal until Jan so we can ensure we have enough in bills accounts etc whilst we settle in (seems sensible approach so I couldn't argue too much despite my op excitement!)

House looks just fab, can't wait for it all to come together.
    On today's list is changing the energy suppliers and a guy coming to quote for putting shelving into the larder and upstairs storage cupboard (would say airing cupboard but there's no boiler )
    Last edited by Kittenkirst; 02-10-2016 at 9:20 PM.

• EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 2nd Oct 16, 9:22 AM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,923 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Happy new home
    • Pearla*Merle
    • By Pearla*Merle 2nd Oct 16, 10:43 AM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 8,792 Thanks
    Pearla*Merle
    Hurrah! Great to hear you're finally on the move! Enjoy making it your own xx
    a penny picker upper. every penny's a prisoner!
    £26.65 til OnePoll payout! Round six! | Save £2950/£15,000
    Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it.
    Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible.
    The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library.
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 3rd Oct 16, 7:19 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Today's fun stuffs has been:
    -Organising council tax: as not moving and furnishing until november we won't pay for October - woop!
    - switched gas & elec to first utility ( uswitch showed them as the cheapest) went through quidco so hopefully £40 cashback will track

Took packed lunch into work and avoided spending any money....will be having pack ups for eternity at this rate :P

Tile delivery is scheduled for Wednesday morning so I have booked a few hours off work, and we have the laminate & wood floor fitter coming over Wednesday night to give us a quote for the lounge and hallway.

Been to the house and left a mug, kettle, coffee & tea stuffs so that I can take milk Thursday and the tiler can keep himself supplied with cuppas!

Also took back some light fittings from the next sale that we decided against today and picked up a cake for someone at work later in the week. It's been a busy day indeed!

Kindle sold last night for £33 so will box it up tonight and post it tomorrow whooop! More pennies in the pot!

Excited for cashback tracking and eventually paying as that will form our first overpayments before Christmas!!
    Off to read some diaries for inspiration!
    Last edited by Kittenkirst; 03-10-2016 at 9:21 PM.

• apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 3rd Oct 16, 9:03 PM
    • 5,298 Posts
    • 38,593 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Congratulations! Have fun making it your own place!
    NST Dec #15; NSD 1; 2016 Pay off: £3396/£3980 (85.3%)
    2016 sell 431.75/1000

Mortgage £33,979 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16 39,915) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 7th Oct 16, 7:03 AM
    • 846 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    This week has definitely been eventful!

Silversmith class on Tuesday was fab as usual and as I had a work meeting nearby I got to use hire car there & back saving me a little petrol

Wednesday the tiles arrived, however they just leave the pallet of tiles out the front :O so I had to unpack it and lug all the kitchen & 2 bathroom tiles into the house, which were heavier than I thought. On the way back to work a lady broke down in front of me so I jumped out and helped her push her car to a side road....felt like superwoman after those two feats, however today my body feels a little broken!!

Quote received for the camaro wood effect vinyl for the lounge hall & wc which fits what we budgeted for so work should start on that on 17th

The (floor) tiler has started work yesterday so that's all underway for the two upstairs bathrooms & kitchen, and we had a fitted wardrobe consultation which was fab but am sure it's going to be too costly!

Another carpet firm coming to measure up at 9am, another wardrobe firm at 3pm and the snagging expert at some point this afternoon...going to have to fit this around work calls isn't going to be easy :O

Payday is next week, which is fab as my savings are almost gone but we have the stairs and bedroom carpets to pay for next so hoping we can get what we need but in a Budget friendly manner!

No further word on the dreaded redundancy word, first collective consultation is the 13th so we should start to hear more from then....fingers crossed! Although with ten years under my belt the payout would not be too shabby

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 11th Oct 16, 6:10 AM
    • 846 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Morning all! Can't sleep this morning so am awake (& a little grumpy !)

Managed to sell my kindle on eBay, however forgot to wipe my amazon details out so the buyer bought books on my account this morning. Swiftly removed all saved payment info, changed passwords & requested a refund. Rookie mistake so kicking myself that I didn't sort it pre posting!

Thanks to F0xh0les diary I signed up to streetlife website a few weeks ago- what a fab website! So on Sunday I picked up two mahoosive bags of windfall apple so Sunday evening & again last night were spent peeling, coring and chopping 4.5kg of apples! Made a chundo (think I spelt that right)- a spiced apple chutney/sauce and have taken spare pots for friends to work, will pop one to the lady who donated the apples to say thank you! There's another 3kg of apples in freezer bags freezing away nicely too for apple pies, apple sauces, apple crumbles etc over winter too!

There's still loads left so gf's mum is going to offer to neighbours when they pop into the shop share the love!

Tiler is working away at the house, awaiting a few more quotes for work and wardrobes. Hoping a chippy we know will undercut a big wardrobe firm but we will see, otherwise it's Ikea & DIY which is a little daunting

Finally bought some house things- pots & pans etc- at the weekend. We went to sa*nsburys as we have saved our monthly vouchers from work for over a year & also used the accumulated nectar points (£102.50!!) so practical stuff like duvets, pillows, saucepans, tv brackets for walls are purchased for no actual cash spent! Woop

Went to John Lewis to get our tv- ended up getting the more expensive one as it included the sound bar gf wanted free (the difference in cost was less to get bigger tv and the sound bar!) we also did pricematch so got £89 off it and again used accumulated gift vouchers so tv cost us under £300 cash Yay!!!

Booked a week off (31st Oct) to hopefully move in, hoping the floors will be done by then and we should start getting our furniture delivered a few weeks after that!

Car insurance sorted pre the 26th- did comparisons and then went direct to insurers (via quidc* ) so got better rate & some cashback if/when it clears!

Lots of meals out last week (including one that was paid for as a thank you for four weeks of house sitting) which was lovely catching up with friends but this week we're just glad to be in a normal routine cooking lighter dinners & packing lunches. Had egg white & veggie omelettes yesterday lunch as pack-ups, today is leftover turkey & butternut squash chilli

Payday on Friday so can pay more towards flooring- guy is putting in vinyl flooring downstairs from next week, we're still deciding on the stairs/halls & two bedrooms.

Decided my silver smith room is going to remain untouched until Jan- give me some time to save a bit more money up and fully decide how to lay it out and what flooring is best to use. I use resin, and a small handheld torch (flame) so want something practical but not ugly...will ponder some more

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 11th Oct 16, 9:14 AM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 18,965 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Late to the party - but happy new home!

It's all very exciting - enjoy!

MCI x
    OP's to Date £2000

Renovation Fund:£944.75; Kitchen Fund (including re-wiring): £notalotleft; Roof Fund £5000.00
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 11th Oct 16, 2:10 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    themadvix
    Congratulations on the new home Kittenkirst - I've spent the last couple of days catching up on your diary. A new build sounds very exciting in terms of getting to choose exactly what you want (at a price)!

I saw your comment on ATB's diary about your GF's lunches when she's working away - if she's away overnight does the company not offer reimbursement for subsistence? I know my DH's does - something like £20 to cover lunch/breakfast/drinks (that's on top of the evening meal allowance). Might be worth checking out? DH has only recently discovered this, so it might be something that companies don't widely advertise? (I've no personal idea as I'm self-employed!).

*Subscribed*
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance December 2016: £105,159.36
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 11th Oct 16, 9:59 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Hi themadvix, welcome along for the ride

For the gf's lunches she gets an allowance for dinner but it has to be spent at dinner time- at one that she regularly stays at she often gets supper from the Starbucks within the hotel and buys yogurt & sandwich etc but it's not always the easiest.
    She's pretty good with packing small tubs of nuts, cereal bars & crisps to try and keep the costs down though, and our work do free fruit if you are quick enough to nab it when it goes out

Thanks for the congrats MCI! The tiler finished today and the floor in the kitchen looks fab! still awaiting the quote from our carpenter for the wardrobes, the two expensive firms have called to confirm if we want to go with them but one is £3700 for the two rooms, the other we negotiated to £2.5k but it's still far too much if I'm honest!

The electrician popped in tonight and is putting a socket into our larder cupboard (for the microwave), fitting two light fittings, sorting out the tv panel in the front room & putting 7 more spotlights in the hall and front room!

We have also decided to talk with our flooring guy re vinyl or laminate upstairs instead of carpets so he is popping over tomorrow with some samples & confirm timelines...so we really need the fitted wardrobes sorting! :/

Fingers crossed for good quotes tomorrow

Supper tonight was cheese on toast with the spicy apple chutney - simple yet fab Got to nip to the lady who gave me the apples after work to drop off a jar of chutney to her to say thank you!

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 12th Oct 16, 10:29 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Evening! :waves:

Spent this evening whizzing round &getting things sorted. The tiler has finished and all looking good, however he has stacked all the waste on some sample tiles that we need to take back to a showroom

Quote from our flooring guy was fab and we've chosen our carpets for the landing & stairs, the vinyl with border for the lounge, hall & wc, and the laminate for the two bedrooms!

The downstairs will be done by the end of next week which is exciting, we just need to sort wardrobes so we can line it all up.

Our chippy came back with a quote £1k more than one of the glossy firms (for the same materials!!!) so, looks like we're going to ikea this weekend....

Heard whispers at work that we should have news by Friday about redundancies....I'm not sure whether I'm hoping to be safe or hoping to be at risk. The redundancy payout would be substantial & it could be the push I've been needing to try something new...but, finding a new job isn't that easy and my whole package (pension, voucher scheme) is pretty nice.

Took the chutney round to the lady who gave me the apples and she seemed really touched which brightened my day somewhat!

Payday on Friday...mortgage first goes out on the 20th. First mortgage payment is pretty exciting....
    Last edited by Kittenkirst; 13-10-2016 at 12:54 PM.

• themadvix
    • By themadvix 13th Oct 16, 7:32 AM
    • 374 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    themadvix
    Cheese on toast and apple chutney sounds yummy - my standard is mango chutney (sometimes ends up being almost as much chutney as cheese!), so if I get given some more apples I might have to give chutney a go.

I hope the redundancies go the way that's right for you. It can't be nice having that having over your head

Enjoy making first mortgage payment on Friday!
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance December 2016: £105,159.36
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 13th Oct 16, 10:05 AM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 18,965 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Fingers crossed on the job front.

Love apple chutney - we have had a shortage of apples this year so haven't been able to make any as yet.

Lovely when small things are appreciated.

All going well for you - glad you got the tiling done quickly - new build, so not as awkward as our 1920s house!

All coming together nicely. it's really exciting. Hold that thought.

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 13th Oct 16, 7:19 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    NSD today, and discovered if I can prove I left my old flat in March time I may get a partial refund on my home contents (I didn't realise they did that!) I shall be sorting through paperwork tonight for that

Some bad news is the buyer for gf's flat fell through essentially there have been issues with the roof in the hall leading to the flat that the managing agent people should have resolved. They stopped the roof leaking but didn't really repair the inside of the ceiling in the hall.
    The buyers surveyor provided estimation of 15k lower than what the gf's surveyor did which is all very odd.

We shall be doing some internet searches & maybe visit CAB about her rights in making the managing agents fix the roofing issue outside the flat door, so grumpy faces all round today!

Meeting first thing in the morning re our re-org at work, so hopefully things will be clear then. I've worked here over ten years so maybe it's time for a change of scenery!

Chippy has come back to us and knocked £700 off the total, so wardrobes and all the shelving etc for £2800, I'm not sure as we could get a well known firm with 10 year guarantee in for that cost, it'd just delay moving in until end November....think if tomorrow goes ok we'lol pop to IKEA and look at options for DIY wardrobes instead

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 14th Oct 16, 11:30 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 3,774 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Sooooooo after all the build up today was a bit of a non-starter. Announcements were made But we are no clearer unfortunately.

This helped force our decision re wardrobes so once the gf came home from Manchester we popped to Notts to Ikea for wardrobes! We decided if we could get similar to what we wanted from the glossy firms (lowest quote £2.5k if you remember!) then that made more sense and to save the money for other things/starting up our emergency fund again. A Lovely lady called Cally helped us loads and we have purchased our wardrobes with delivery for £1k. A lot of money, but £1.5k cheaper than all our other quotes!

Our TV from John Lewis is arriving tomorrow and wardrobes on Sunday, the electricians in on Monday for sockets in the larder cupboard, adding multiple spotlights into areas and sorting other stuffs, them the lounge, hall and etc being done by our floor guy weds-fri....however We need to clear the rubbish from the lounge the tiler naughtily left!! Grrrr

Will message our lovely flooring guy to let him know that he can do the upstairs now whenever he is free so excited!!!
    Last edited by Kittenkirst; 14-10-2016 at 11:47 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

702Posts Today

5,052Users online

Martin's Twitter