Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 5th Feb 16, 10:35 AM
    • 829Posts
    • 3,710Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!
    • 5th Feb 16, 10:35 AM
    Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free! 5th Feb 16 at 10:35 AM
    Hi all!
    So from my title you may have guessed I don't yet have a mortgage, however I am hoping that will all change within the next few weeks.
    I will then start on overpaying the mortgage and really penny pinching to try and reduce it down as much as possible!

I'm hoping this is alright to start my diary in here? :-)

The story so far, my lovely girlfriend and I have been discussing getting a place together for some time. We started looking at houses (al very small and far from her parents- which is a no-no, we want to be close to them to visit regularly). Last weekend we went to see a new build development and fell in love with a house- less than 2 miles from her parents, perfect size for the two of us and within our budget (from getting mortgage in principle information and confirming monthly payments were well within our budgets).

Sooooo we took her parents round for their seal of approval, spoke with an agent we know through the family about pertinent questions to ask, did lots of number crunching and then placed a reservation.....

....so we've now got paperwork from solicitors re the conveyancing etc and paperwork from the mortgage advisors to sort out this weekend.
    We have re-jogged our budget to ensure we had the deposit in savings by end of Feb (we thought we'd have a few months before we found anywhere) so are ready to almost hand over £18500 :O

I have agreed to move into her parents house and pay rent in mid March to prevent paying rent, bills and food (will save an extra £500 a month) so we should be in a good position for when the house is ready September/October time!

Does anyone have any hints or tips so far?

Our brokers/solicitors are ones recommended by family who've used them and really recommend them and we've sense checked the rates the solicitors charge to ensure its competitive.
    Emergency savings- £701.54 /£1000
    Mortgage Oct '16- £170.995 LTV- 90%
    2016 OP target- £14.58/ £150 -
    Mortgage end date- Nov '41

NST: 42
Page 10
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 15th Oct 16, 5:51 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Fingers crossed on the job front.

All going well for you - glad you got the tiling done quickly - new build, so not as awkward as our 1920s house!

MCI
    Originally posted by misscousinitt
    MCI, how long did your tiling take?
    The area for our tiling was fairly straight forward, the only more difficult bit was tiling in the understairs larder (which is in the kitchen/diner).

I'm struggling to sleep past 5am at the moment, so am updating our accounts app we got the wardrobes on 0% finance so we'll now have a monthly DD for wardrobes & one for the sofas &dinkng tables & chairs all to come out of our joint bills account.

Pay day yesterday and my (now closed) regular saver funds are also in my current account making it look crazily healthy...debating moving some funds to my (low interest) savings account until we need to pay the different tradespeople over the next month....thinking this will help ensure it doesn't get frittered away unintentionally

• EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 15th Oct 16, 6:17 AM
    • 602 Posts
    • 2,910 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Great find at ikea! DD will need a new wardrobe soon so might take a look there. I never think of it normally as our nearest one is so far away.
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 15th Oct 16, 6:50 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Thanks EE, In would definitely recommend it so far, it's all very self explanatory or you can sit with an advisor who will map it out on screen etc and talk you through all of the options

We still spent a large amount but we got 2 double wardrobes & a single shallower ones (for behind a door!), the internal combinations we wanted and lovely lovely wardrobe doors on so are very happy, Now just to build it all!
    Last edited by Kittenkirst; 15-10-2016 at 6:54 AM.

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 16th Oct 16, 8:15 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Yesterday was a crazy busy day!
    Started off with tidying & cleaning at gf's parents house (where we both Live at the mo)- everyone's working crazy hours so good to have a blitz on a weekend and get it ship shape

Then went to the house, mopped some of the chalky grout off the tiles, then cleaned all the skirting boards etc as there was a lot of grout on them.

Loaded all of the tiling waste into bags for life (including a box the tiler filled with the cement type stuff) into car & took it to the tip.
    Fitted all cupboards with that liner that stops things moving (& to protect cupboards) and washed them all down

Mopped the kitchenfloor again as still so much chalkiness everywhere
    Watered the lawn(it rained after!!)
    Put two boxes of kitchen things away so it is now starting to feel like our kitchen :
    TV was delivered yesterday & its huuuuuggggge.

Got home and did three loads of washing, cooked dinner and crashed out at 930pm!!

I also decided to call Sky as we had taken out the free tv offer they were doing, so entertainment package, broadband, multiroom & phone line for £55 a month with the free tv.
    But I got one of the sky codes from MSE for the whole tv package (incl box sets) for £30 so called to check how much if added broadband and phone line - £65 a month with no free tv, however the guy made the broadband free for the year so it's £59 for a much better tv package without the free tv.....we don't need a spare tv (we have one here perfectly good enough!)but will benefit from box sets and more tv choice as we're assuming we won't be going out anywhere near as much as we used to pre-mortgage!

I'm classing that as a win, as a new tv would be lovely for our room but thinking about our lifestyles this option is better! (We'll still have free Netflix thanks to a friend sharing his account!)

Ikea delivery today, another mop of the kitchen and bathrooms then gf heads off to Manchester for work tonight she has a long trip up to the north of Scotland so makes sense to do half tonight, half tomorrow but with all this busyness it feels I've barely seen her. Will have to ensure some quality time when she gets back I think
    Last edited by Kittenkirst; 17-10-2016 at 7:02 PM.

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 17th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    MCI, how long did your tiling take?
    The area for our tiling was fairly straight forward, the only more difficult bit was tiling in the understairs larder (which is in the kitchen/diner).
    Originally posted by Kittenkirst
    Our kitchen floor took 4 days!

The walls?? well your guess is as good as mine, maybe 10 days in bits and pieces...difficult to say as it was being interleaved with other jobs. All done now that's the main thing.

Glad you are getting things in the kitchen now - so satisfying isn't it?

If the chalkiness persists I suggest some grout cleaner it's pricey but really good (managed to get it a bit cheaper from w!ckes, think It was about £15).

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £99,090.90 (08.11.2016)
    OP's to Date £2000

Renovation Fund:£944.75; Kitchen Fund (including re-wiring): £notalotleft; Roof Fund £5000.00
    Nectar Points Balance: £35.49
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 17th Oct 16, 6:54 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Thanks for the tip MCI

Last night whilst waiting for the second IKEA delivery (they forgot to load half our order from the earlier delivery!) I decided to clean the bathroom tiles and got myself all upset. The tiler had decided that instead of unscrewing the doorstop behind the main bathroom door he would just crazy pave around it and coat it in grout, leaving a big hole with the silver&black stopper half sticking out covered in messy grout!

I stewed on it all last night & today so have contacted him to ask him to fix it as it is not the standard we expect. He called the gf to apologize and will come round on Thursday to fix it. Luckily we do have 12 extra bathroom tiles so he can fix it (we took all the part cut ones to the tip already)

Electrician came today however his little one got taken to hospital so he's coming back out next Monday (we have the floor fitter in weds-Friday so he can't come then). I've not been to the house as don't want to see holes in my pretty ceiling.

Plumber is due tomorrow evening to fit the hot water mixer tap hopefully so that's some good news.

NSDs yesterday & today for me, not for the lovely gf though. Went to fill up her hire car before her drive up north last night and she put the wrong fuel in, so just under £200 spent fixing it. She also had a small bump in the car on Friday after work too so she's feeling a little stressed out.

I've reassured her that these things happen and we do have the money to sort out the fuel situation so to not beat herself up. All this running around for the house, potential work redundancy and travel is bound to have an impact.

We have the 31st off for a week together to sort some bits and just chill a little together so I'm very much looking forward to that :

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 18th Oct 16, 9:41 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    A but if a naughty spend day today

After abit of a rubbish work day I finished late, only to find the dual carriage way home chocked with traffic. In desperate need of a bathroom I pulled into local shopping center and used the facilities. As I wanted to kill time to allow traffic to die down I wandered through M&S....
    Ended up buying a beautiful dress for work meetings in the sale for £10.99 but it scanned at £8.99.....its gorgeous, well cut & a classic style!

A bit giddy with my spending I wandered into the food hall at yellow sticker time....managed to reign myself in but bought a loaf of malted bread for supper (25p) & a gorgeous smelling crimson raisin & orang boule....supper tonight for me and the gf's mum was lower fat cheese on the toast with spicy apple chutney, then I had some of the raisin bread toasted with butter HEAVEN

Floor man comes to screed the lounge tomorrow and I'm so excited...more so that our 'housewarming' is planned for the 28th as a Halloween housewarming....need to think of costumes and food/decorations which won't break the bank

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 19th Oct 16, 10:08 AM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    What fun to have a housewarming Halloween party.

You can make milk bottle ghost lamps using empty 4pt milk bottles, water, glow sticks and a black marker pen - g00gle it - I am sure you will find the instructions - cheap and very effective.

We haven't had our housewarming yet - we are always late...maybe in the spring.

MCI x
    OP's to Date £2000

Renovation Fund:£944.75; Kitchen Fund (including re-wiring): £notalotleft; Roof Fund £5000.00
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 23rd Oct 16, 10:06 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Morning morning
    Lazy morning today for us as we went to visit the gf's cousins yesterday near London. Lovely afternoon but it meant a 1.30am bed time....yawn!

Lounge floor is down but needs pressing. I'm so pleased with it- gone for a white limed oak (so white/grey)

The tiler is coming back today to fix the dodgy work he did around the door stop in the main bathroom so hoping it'll look better tonight.

Thinking we'll take some kitchen boxes round and start putting those away so it feels like we're getting things done

Not much spending, had to travel for work on Thursday so bought a few coffees and drinks on the motorways. Had a fab volunteering day on Friday helping a local charity who have a marathon on this weekend- we packed the finishers bags which was pretty cool (& work paid for the team burritos at lunchtime too!)

Trying to plan for Fridays party...lots of ideas but need to think practically and get it sorted. Also need to sort costumes out too....exciting!!

• mortgage_girl
    • By mortgage_girl 23rd Oct 16, 8:17 PM
    • 794 Posts
    • 3,724 Thanks
    mortgage_girl
    Congrats on getting your keys kittenkirst! It all sounds very exciting. I bet you can't wait to move in.

Enjoy!

MGx
    2016: £3506.03 / £11,000
    2015: £10,230.37 / £11,000
    2014 =£6703.26 / £11,000 2013 = £4288.51 / £8000 2012 = £1600/£5000 2011 = £2579/£3000
    Make £10 a day challenge £143.60 / £300
    MF date was Nov 2041 - now June 2023

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 23rd Oct 16, 9:20 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Thanks MG! It is all rather exciting!!!! our first mortgage payment has come out of the bank so it's all very real!

I signed up to Yougov this week and have completed a few surveys & also a pinecone survey- the Starbucks card is getting a little low so will need to earn some points sharpish!

Our tiler came back today and sorted out the doorstop that he crudely just cut around and then grouted all over we now have no doorstop but at least the tiles are sorted.

The electrician has fitted an extra socket under our sink for our hot water mixer tap (plumber due to install on Tuesday )
    And he should be back tomorrow to finish all the spotlights and put the tv bracket up for us (he's hidden the cables for us too you see!)

Floor fitter is finishing the hallway, downstairs loo and then is starting the stairs and landing (carpet) and then the two main bedrooms later in the week with laminate.

My silversmithing room is remaining uncarpeted etc until after Christmas so I can plan how best to utilize the space. I have a Jewellery bench already but need some shelving and workspace for things like tumblers etc to go on undisturbed!

I've been playing with how to make swirly glittery cocktails for the party on Friday night- sugar syrup mixed with a clear spirit and edible glitter suspends the glitter to look like fancy potions. Bought a posh looking lemonade flip top bottle from Aldi on Saturday and planning to make a dark glittery alcoholic potion for the party!

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 30th Oct 16, 6:34 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Phew! What a week....

the flooring is now all done and looks fab! The fitter has done a fab job, the camaro downstairs with a black border looks beautiful!
    The electrician came back and finished so we have spots in the lounge hall & landing.
    A plumber came out to fit the boiling mixer tap and left panicking unsure how to do it
    Sky came to sort our broadband and the guy was really helpful. The master box is now in the silversmithing room (gf didn't want wires & the box in the lounge if possible)
    Took leftover tiles back and got a £102 refund which will mostly cover the first months council tax!
    Sample tiles taken back to another tile shop too
    First sofa delivered!

The Halloween party was a success, spent all day Thursday & Friday prepping- made gingerbread bat & ghost biscuits, banana cakes with sprinkles etc. Spent some saved S*insbury's vouchers on beers etc, carved Aldi pumpkins (a kitty & the word boo!) which looked fab. I found all my old Halloween stuff out so we only bought a cheap table cloth, some spiderwebs and a few plastic pumpkins that lit up....so not too bad!

Yesterday was a bit of a write off for me though so other than going to the house and tidying, then deep cleaning it, we didn't get much done. Although we did start some Diwali prep (brother in law and family visiting for a meal today) - helped gf mum to make khundvi,, shrikand & cevo. About to get up to start making curries & sweet rotli' as they are arriving early.

signed up to yougov so doing those as they trickle in, not much earned yet but will try and do on lunch breaks etc and use the time wisely cashback not confirmed yet so waiting for those to come in as they maybe the first OP's whilst we continue paying all the tradespeeps to finish the house.

Left to sort:
    -ceiling to be sanded in hall, lounge & landing after spots fitted
    -several doors to be planed and rehung
    -wardrobes to be made in two bedrooms
    -bed being delivered Monday and then to make it!
    -tvs to be put into brackets on walls
    -curtain poles to be fitted
    -second sofa and dining furniture to arrive soon
    -shelving to go into the larder and the airing cupboard for storage.

Phew! Still loads to do

Best crack on and get Diwali prepping. Happy Diwali to anyone celebrating.

• themadvix
    • By themadvix 31st Oct 16, 8:27 AM
    • 364 Posts
    • 1,275 Thanks
    themadvix
    Loads to do, but loads done too KK!

I like YG for surveys - they're always fair, don't screen you out and are usually interesting. Reaching pay out can take a while but it's cold hard cash at the end!
    OPs made 2016 = £5511.52
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance November 2016: £106,659
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 31st Oct 16, 2:04 PM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Hope you had a wonderful celebration!

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 1st Nov 16, 9:23 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Thanks Themadvix & misscousinitt,

Morning lovelies. We have this week off work to get more stuff sorted and hopefully be ready to move in shortly.

This weekend we sorted out some curtains for the lounge with cushions, duvet cover sets and mops etc for the kitchen.
    Paid the electrician and floor fitters so now £2.5k lighter

Diwali family meal went really well, and the food was delicious
    We shared leftovers with some friends (Hubble is gluten free and the majority of Gujarati food is with gram flour so okay for him)

Awaiting the handy guy coming out to sand the ceiling (where the spots went in), put shelves in the larder and airing cupboard and put up our curtain rails.

One wardrobe went up yesterday and it looks just fab, and the bed was delivered. More wardrobes to be made and the bed put together and we'all have a bedroom. We need to order a mattress soon too.

Off to IKEA shortly to get a few pieces and we're going to have a treat of a Starbucks on way. Yum!!
    Last edited by Kittenkirst; 01-11-2016 at 9:31 AM.

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 2nd Nov 16, 8:27 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Long old day yesterday- went to IKEA to get the shelf fixings that were missing from our delivery and the basket that was out of stock when we last went.....got the shelve fixers but bought the wrong basket

Ended up getting a bathroom cabinet, a wheel table thing for the microwave to go on in the larder, a chest of drawers for our room and lots of other stuff..£180 and 3.5hours later We left IKEA :O

We skipped the starbucks as decided we'd use the pennies towards an IKEA brekkie - IKEA family £1.50 veggie breakfasts and free coffee was £3.30.
    Our winning item was a hotdog after shopping which we shared on the drive home with some of their hot mulled apple juice they had to sample. small wins.

Friend came over last night and we have the wardrobe frames & the inner drawers in- need the additional shelf and basket and the doors, lighting & handles on and we can start moving stuff in!

We have half built the bathroom cabinet- awaiting the handyman affixing to the wall so we can finish it, and we built the wheely table for the larder so got loads done. Got home at 11.30pm so we were pretty pooped last night!

Today we need to exchange the curtains (as they are too short) drop off a few bits and then to the house to try and build the bed and drawers. It's an ottoman style so not sure how easy it is to do between us both but we'll give it a go

I'm feeling quite under the weather at the min so will wrap up warm today and try not to rush around too much. At this rate I'll need time off to recover from our time off!

Signed up to the John Lewis open evening next week so hoping we get tickets- not been to one before but a glass of fizz for free is always nice, and we want to get two Nest Thermostats so will see if any offers

• misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 2nd Nov 16, 12:45 PM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Busy busy. Hope you feel better soon.

I'd say take it easy, but I know all too well that when there are things to be done...

Good luck.

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 2nd Nov 16, 9:41 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    More building today- built a small pale green chest of drawers for our room, and built half of our Ottaman bed- it's looking fab but took us quite a while.

Was pleased as popped into Dreams whilst out doing errands- we decided on a mattress we liked- £349 in the sale. I noted down the details and then searched online for similar. Found identical for £220 from Argos (Silent night mattress) - was about to pay and thought I'd check for a discount code quickly and found one for 20% off so saved £44! It's being delivered on Monday, quite pleased with that.

Took curtains back to dunelm today and exchanged for longer size, got them home and they are huge. I think that I may have (maybe) not unfolded them fully....will have to go back and exchange again hopefully as getting the shorter pair I'll get £20refund too! Silver lining.

Whilst we were at dunelm we nipped into Costco to grab some matts to go under the cross trainer in the spare room (just £10!) and took advantage of the food sampling station to get free lunch!!
    Some turkey crown, rib, olives, mozzarella sticks and chocolate later I didn't need lunch! ;D

Checking banking and realised council tax not yet come out- then realised we've had the bill but not yet called to set up DD. So that's a task for the morning. 13 more days until pay day so I'm hoping to stay out of my overdraft, but pay and additional £50 off my credit card (0% until 31st March)

• EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 4th Nov 16, 6:58 AM
    • 602 Posts
    • 2,910 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Great progress with the house, bet you can't wait to move in!
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 4th Nov 16, 8:27 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Morning!
    Yes ETE I totally can't wait we finished our bed yesterday and it looks fab- really really pleased with it now it's all done.

Lots of errands to do today, but our handyman finally came over last night and started work (after three weeks of faff!) so hoping he put up the curtain poles and started sanding the ceilings. He's back on Saturday to build the larder shelves, airing cupboard shelves, put the bathroom cabinet up, put some mirrors up, plane down doors and re fit them.

Site manager came round to discuss our snagging list so the guys are coming tuesday and Friday to touch up paint, re do the French doors (which have a large cold gap at the top), sort out the outside tap and redo a door with a screw hole in it (gloss cupboards show every blemish).

Our friend is coming back to fit the wardrobe doors hopefully this weekend too so we can start moving clothes etc in
    Its all coming together!

Pinecone survey and yougov surveys completed this morning so I'm chipping away at those. Debating getting a weekday evening job (waitress/barmaid etc) for a little extra cash, once we're moved in I'll look into it properly as I'm really keen to enjoy life but also pay down the mortgage especially when rates are so low....

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

82Posts Today

3,764Users online

Martin's Twitter