Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 31st Aug 07, 11:48 AM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Grants available for homes improvements & energy efficiency
    • 31st Aug 07, 11:48 AM
    Grants available for homes improvements & energy efficiency 31st Aug 07 at 11:48 AM

This thread is to discuss Grant Grabbing for your home article

To discuss or ask a question - click reply
    Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 09-06-2010 at 4:14 PM.
Page 15
    • condoghost
    • By condoghost 24th Dec 14, 5:12 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    condoghost
    Grants available 2014/2015???
    Grants for cavity wall insulation, loft insulation, draft proofing, boiler ... but nowt here on grants for insulating dormer walls

Anyone know of anything out there on that front???

The upper dormer rooms are uninsulated panels front and back. Unbelievable, but there you go. 1965 in the South West was more "cowboy" I guess

The quote to get the job done is £3,000
    Last edited by condoghost; 24-12-2014 at 5:15 PM.
    Wish List: A moderator approving links submitted by newbies like me
    • condoghost
    • By condoghost 24th Dec 14, 5:18 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    condoghost
    hi. im new to this site. i am a single mum to an 8 month old and i got a council house months ago. theres no flooring,nothing on the walls etc. ive sorted most of the furniture and essentials but theres no way i can affored to paint and floor the house. i dont know what to do. the floors are freezing and its not fair on the baby. what am i entitled to? thanks
    Originally posted by dympna35
    Start here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/grant-grabbing?_ga=1.144615733.1864564272.1419427248
    • condoghost
    • By condoghost 24th Dec 14, 5:22 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    condoghost
    And I find the word Newbie a bit patronising
    Originally posted by Sonofstubbornmum
    Even at 63 there's nowt wrong with being called a newbie
  • Kuco
    Boiler Replacement Scheme
    Hi All, this is my first thread and hopefully this will be useful to some.

I work in SE London and surrounding areas on the gov's boiler replacement scheme (ECO) for low income households.

If anyone is unsure how it works or if you qualify feel free to message me and hopefully I can advise.

Thanks.
  • 7890bill
    solid wall insulation
    evening all can anyone enlighten me on this new solid wall insullation
    4" thick foam sprayed on the exterior of the property then covered with a membrane 25 years gaurantee looks like rendering when finished
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 1st Apr 15, 10:06 PM
    • 6,251 Posts
    • 3,949 Thanks
    Ken68
    Hi 7890,,,,it;s polystyrene blocks, 100mm thick fastened to wall, then meshed over and rendered.
    Just been quoted £12k minus £6k grant from the local council for my house.
    • GrimNorth
    • By GrimNorth 2nd Jun 16, 12:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GrimNorth
    Grant for home improvement?
    Hi

I'm wondering if anyone can offer advice on my problem. We moved into a house around 10 years ago (bought privately) which is an ex council house built around 1950. We were aware of an issue with the concrete floor and had estimates for re laying of the floors around the time we bought the house. It has not been confirmed by testing but we strongly suspect the raised area in the floor in the dining room is the result of 'sulphur attack'.. At the time we didn't have the money required to fix it but didn't really see it as a massive problem as it is only one small area and doesn't affect the whole floor.

We know this is not covered under home insurance and still isn't a major issue as there are no more bumps or raised areas and I don't think it has ever gotten any worse since we moved in. However, it is a niggling problem as it is in the door way so we are not able to cover the area with furniture and forget about it.

We are looking at doing a couple of bits to the house and are considering having this fixed (I would really like wood/laminate flooring but due to this bump/raised section, laying this would be a challenge to say the least). I am wondering if, as this is a well documented problem with materials used for builds around this time, the government/local councils offer grants towards fixing this? I've looked around various sites but everything I can find seems to relate to those in receipt of benefits, with disability, the elderly or on a low income. We fall into none of these categories.
    • dominoman
    • By dominoman 2nd Jun 16, 12:26 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    dominoman
    GrimNorth. I really really doubt it. In fact I'd say no.

The house is a private home, not council owned, and you were aware of the issue when you purchased it.

It wouldn't be right for other taxpayers to be forced to pay for any work that is now needed.
    • jimbo778
    • By jimbo778 18th Jul 16, 3:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jimbo778
    House improvement / efficiency grants
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and have a question about grants for house improvements / efficiency improvements.

I have a mortgaged house which I have owned this for 3 years. I am 35 and am not disabled, married and I don't have any children. I live on my own and am in full-time employment.

The property I bought was built around 1983 and has many "old" energy features:

- the fuse box is the kind where you physically have to replace the fuse wires when it blows.
    - there is a warm-air heating system which only has 3 small vents downstairs...presumably on the basis that hot air rises??? However, this is not really fit for purpose in the winter combined with my third point...the upstairs remains cold in winter.
    - the loft insulation is presumably very bad as the upstairs is freezing in winter and boiling in summer.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any grants which might be available to me to improve the house either from the government directly, energy suppliers or my council (St Albans or Hertfordshire)? Or how I would go about researching for grants available aside from bothering you nice people.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Jim
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 18th Jul 16, 4:16 PM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 1,924 Thanks
    no1catman
    Check with your energy supplier, they run schemes to help with energy efficiency etc. Next, is check with your local Council - Hertsmere, if they don't they would know who does e.g. a regional energy saving body.

Depending on your salary, e.g. if you qualified for WTC you'd get extra help.

Have you been in the attic/loft, to see what level of insulation is there?
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • Furts
    • By Furts 18th Jul 16, 5:10 PM
    • 3,376 Posts
    • 2,126 Thanks
    Furts
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and have a question about grants for house improvements / efficiency improvements.

I have a mortgaged house which I have owned this for 3 years. I am 35 and am not disabled, married and I don't have any children. I live on my own and am in full-time employment.

The property I bought was built around 1983 and has many "old" energy features:

- the fuse box is the kind where you physically have to replace the fuse wires when it blows.
    - there is a warm-air heating system which only has 3 small vents downstairs...presumably on the basis that hot air rises??? However, this is not really fit for purpose in the winter combined with my third point...the upstairs remains cold in winter.
    - the loft insulation is presumably very bad as the upstairs is freezing in winter and boiling in summer.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any grants which might be available to me to improve the house either from the government directly, energy suppliers or my council (St Albans or Hertfordshire)? Or how I would go about researching for grants available aside from bothering you nice people.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Jim
    Originally posted by jimbo778
    If a Grant is available be prepared to be asked a fundamental question. Why have you no heating upstairs? Simple, low cost mass produced, houses had warm air heating fitted upstairs years before your house was built. (I am aware of homes having oil filled radiator back up in locations not convenient for warm air - like a north facing front door and porch, or at the bottom of the stairs.)

Your home may be cold upstairs, but a couple of oil filled radiators would cost perhaps £50. Perhaps a bit cheeky expecting a Grant when this is such little expenditure.

Loft insulation can cost very little when the likes of B&Q run their regular promotions. If you have little loft insulation then it is a straight forward DIY job that you have had 3 years to get done. On a 1983 home you probably had 150mm to start with, so it just requires a top up. Here you must be careful if you get a Grant, because I have witnessed the cowboys who install it! You are better doing it yourself.
    • KernowHayz
    • By KernowHayz 24th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KernowHayz
    Urgent Roof Repair - Grants?
    Can someone tell me if there are any grants available that a single homeowner in full-time employment (nursing - NHS) can access to make urgent repairs to a property please? Part of my roof needs urgently replacing as it's heavily leaking and looks like it's about to collapse! Thanks.
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 27th Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 659 Thanks
    phil24_7
    Can someone tell me if there are any grants available that a single homeowner in full-time employment (nursing - NHS) can access to make urgent repairs to a property please? Part of my roof needs urgently replacing as it's heavily leaking and looks like it's about to collapse! Thanks.
    Originally posted by KernowHayz
    You would need a loan, probably secured against the house.
    • Fleckylm
    • By Fleckylm 9th Nov 16, 12:53 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fleckylm
    Could anyone advice me on any grants that help to insulate outside my home including a good finish on my outside walls I think I've Seen it done in panels then a Rendering and paint finish? I don't know what it's called but lots of terraced houses in my area are having this done!
    • lukeewan
    • By lukeewan 17th Nov 16, 2:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lukeewan
    Hi ,my husband and I are in our late sixties ,we both qualify for DLA ,our house is in dire need of new windows and a roof repair are there any grants for this? We are in Wales .
    • jlx45v
    • By jlx45v 16th Feb 17, 1:53 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jlx45v
    Is there anything that I am entitle to?
    I have just purchased a house in rural Wales. It has a Rayburn (coal fired) that is either on or off. Temperature is either 600 degrees or Zero degrees. More often than not, dependant on the direction of the wind, the temperature on the Rayburn does not get hot enough to cook on, let alone anything else! And yes, it has been serviced, the flu swept, we have been shown how to light it (although that seems to be a bigger chore than the actual romance of having the thing)

The Rayburn is the only source of hot water (not even an immersion heater is installed on the tank), there is a radiator in the bathroom that will only work when the cooker goes beyond 400 degrees (pointless, as the bathroom is next to the kitchen, so when the Rayburn is hot - so is the bathroom!), and a radiator in the bedroom (the same bedroom that houses the hot water tank, so pointless really because the radiator only works when the Rayburn is on, as does the back boiler that heats the water in the tank).

The Rayburn has to be fed coal every hour (or less, dependant on the wind direction) to keep it alight, and I do not have the time to sit in the kitchen waiting to put the next bucket of coal on, to ensure there is heating in two rooms from about 4pm to 8am the following morning!

We have no mains gas to the property, and as you can imagine, our electricity usage is sky high!

I want to know why I am not entitled to any help whatsoever.

I have worked full time for the last 32 years, never claimed benefits or subsidies etc etc, however, because I do not claim I cannot get help. I cant begin to tell you how frustrating it is to see if I qualify for a grant (or any help) for a boiler or solar panels and to discover I am not because I am not on a low enough income to claim a benefit of some kind or another!

With just me earning I can pay the bills, mortgage, car expenses etc, but it leaves little or no spare cash to put toward updating the property.

The house is a Welsh longhouse, built circa 1800, in need of rewiring (amongst other things), the walls are about 3ft thick.

I am not really interested in 'free money' at the expense of the tax payer, but having been a tax payer for the last 32 years I hoped that I could at least get some sort of help!

Can anyone please tell me if I have got the whole thing wrong and I am, in fact, able to get help? Preferably before I freeze to death
    • rob7475
    • By rob7475 19th Feb 17, 2:16 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    rob7475
    I have just purchased a house in rural Wales. It has a Rayburn (coal fired) that is either on or off. Temperature is either 600 degrees or Zero degrees. More often than not, dependant on the direction of the wind, the temperature on the Rayburn does not get hot enough to cook on, let alone anything else! And yes, it has been serviced, the flu swept, we have been shown how to light it (although that seems to be a bigger chore than the actual romance of having the thing)

The Rayburn is the only source of hot water (not even an immersion heater is installed on the tank), there is a radiator in the bathroom that will only work when the cooker goes beyond 400 degrees (pointless, as the bathroom is next to the kitchen, so when the Rayburn is hot - so is the bathroom!), and a radiator in the bedroom (the same bedroom that houses the hot water tank, so pointless really because the radiator only works when the Rayburn is on, as does the back boiler that heats the water in the tank).

The Rayburn has to be fed coal every hour (or less, dependant on the wind direction) to keep it alight, and I do not have the time to sit in the kitchen waiting to put the next bucket of coal on, to ensure there is heating in two rooms from about 4pm to 8am the following morning!

We have no mains gas to the property, and as you can imagine, our electricity usage is sky high!

I want to know why I am not entitled to any help whatsoever.

I have worked full time for the last 32 years, never claimed benefits or subsidies etc etc, however, because I do not claim I cannot get help. I cant begin to tell you how frustrating it is to see if I qualify for a grant (or any help) for a boiler or solar panels and to discover I am not because I am not on a low enough income to claim a benefit of some kind or another!

With just me earning I can pay the bills, mortgage, car expenses etc, but it leaves little or no spare cash to put toward updating the property.

The house is a Welsh longhouse, built circa 1800, in need of rewiring (amongst other things), the walls are about 3ft thick.

I am not really interested in 'free money' at the expense of the tax payer, but having been a tax payer for the last 32 years I hoped that I could at least get some sort of help!

Can anyone please tell me if I have got the whole thing wrong and I am, in fact, able to get help? Preferably before I freeze to death
    Originally posted by jlx45v
    I'm not sure if this is a serious post or not?

Basically, you've bought a house, and now want to spend taxpayers money on getting the heating sorted - is that right?

It's bad enough that certain people on benefits are getting these handouts for boilers, windows etc. Yet they still afford their booze and fags.

I've also paid tax since I was 16. I own my own home and I don't expect other taxpayers to pay for maintenance on that home.

This country's fast becoming a joke. It's getting as though everyone wants something for nothing. If you can afford to buy your own house, you need to be able to afford the maintenance too. If that's not the case, you need to look at renting so the landlord takes the responsibility of maintaining the building.
    • hails14
    • By hails14 18th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    hails14
    Window Grant?
    Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have recently just bought my first flat in Glasgow.

I have noticed my windows are wooden and the handles are broken. There some of the windows don't open and there isn't a fire exit through any of the windows

I have been worried about this recently as my neighbour leaves his property for 3 weeks at a time.

There is also mould building around the inside of the windows.

I was wondering if there is any grants available to help me replace the windows to PVC and have efficient windows with a fire exit.

Thank you in advance.
    • Tapask
    • By Tapask 3rd Aug 17, 12:32 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tapask
    Heating /incentive
    Hi there,
    I would be very grateful if you send me the link for the grant/incentive for low-income people.
    I am 59 year and earn £708 a month including tax credit. My gas boiler is not working since October 2015. i must thank to NPOWER that they have completely wiped off my daily standing charge until August 2017.
    I have had insurance covered but I could not afford to service my boiler so the insurer did not fix it.
    I am already suffering from bad cold and I can prove that frm hospital report so please help.
    Kind regards
    Tapas Chatterjee
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,518Users online

Martin's Twitter