Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 30th Jan 16, 8:04 PM
    • 17,964Posts
    • 22,255Thanks
    Poppy9
    Dash cam - where to start
    • 30th Jan 16, 8:04 PM
    Dash cam - where to start 30th Jan 16 at 8:04 PM
    After some barsteward hit my car and drove off leaving a load of damage to my car while parked in Sainsbury's I'm thinking of getting a dash cam but not a clue what to look for or how much I need to pay.

Help!
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
Page 2
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 31st Jan 16, 1:54 PM
    • 3,360 Posts
    • 3,567 Thanks
    robatwork
    After some barsteward hit my car and drove off leaving a load of damage to my car while parked in Sainsbury's I'm thinking of getting a dash cam but not a clue what to look for or how much I need to pay.

Help!
    Originally posted by Poppy9
    Be very careful when researching this - the majority of dashcams will only work when powered on ie. when you're in the car and moving. If you're parked at Sainbury's you will need something that also has battery power and senses motion nearby. Plus you will need one front and back if you want to cover yourself while parked.

Even then it won't see someone hit your door or run a trolley into your car from the side. Did you ask Sainsbury's if they have any cctv of the incident?
    • Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 31st Jan 16, 2:07 PM
    • 17,964 Posts
    • 22,255 Thanks
    Poppy9
    Be very careful when researching this - the majority of dashcams will only work when powered on ie. when you're in the car and moving. If you're parked at Sainbury's you will need something that also has battery power and senses motion nearby. Plus you will need one front and back if you want to cover yourself while parked.

Even then it won't see someone hit your door or run a trolley into your car from the side. Did you ask Sainsbury's if they have any cctv of the incident?
    Originally posted by robatwork
    I didn't realise that they only recorded when engine on!

I did ask Sainsbury's but they said their CCTV didn't cover the car park. The near side bumper and wing was scraped quite badly with white paint. The car park was quiet as it was about 9pm and I was only in the shop 30 mins top! I was parked in middle of empty bays and there was a bay in front of me empty so not sure how they hit me
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
    • Moto2
    • By Moto2 31st Jan 16, 3:37 PM
    • 2,094 Posts
    • 1,817 Thanks
    Moto2
    Some have a G sensor that will start them recording when they get a bump.

I have an Innovv C3 that I'm currently playing about with on my motorbike for some training instruction, that has a G sensor but I have it disabled.
    Have a look at @ ~17min in on the video in this review for details.

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/11/2/innovv-c3-review-the-wired-lens-mini-camera.html
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 31st Jan 16, 4:17 PM
    • 6,209 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    Another vote for Mobius its been around for a long time and is one of few with a whole support & improvement comunity. Numpties start here. Full list and honest reviews here. Best of luck.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 9th Mar 16, 2:31 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 880 Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    I am reading about these cams and noticed the one in the link below claims a great battery life.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019XN1T6S?psc=1

Fortyfoot
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 9th Mar 16, 4:52 PM
    • 9,311 Posts
    • 48,764 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I recently got one from a Tesco petrol station, for £20.

It took a while to figure it out, because the instructions are a bit vague, but it's working fine now, and the details of how I finally set it up, are in thread on this forum.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1015-50
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 9th Mar 16, 4:55 PM
    • 9,311 Posts
    • 48,764 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Some have a G sensor that will start them recording when they get a bump.]
    Originally posted by Moto2
    A bit pointless, to start recording AFTER a bump, isn't it?

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 9th Mar 16, 4:59 PM
    • 9,311 Posts
    • 48,764 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    the majority of dashcams will only work when powered on ie. when you're in the car and moving. If you're parked at Sainbury's you will need something that also has battery power and senses motion nearby.
    Originally posted by robatwork
    Unless, like mine, your lighter socket remains live, with the ignition off.
    Last edited by Bedsit Bob; 09-03-2016 at 8:14 PM.

• Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 13th Apr 16, 3:19 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 880 Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    I eventually bought the Auto Vox dash cam and it was very poor, windows 10 did not recognise it and on a vista lap top I could see the files but not run them.

I reviewed the item on the 17th March on the Amazon site but they have not got round to displaying my review.

Today it still gets 5* on Amazon.

See my recording on utube, it goes hazy about two minutes into the video. My windscreen was clear and the air conditioning was fine, no foggy windows!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PEeCuqxMw4&feature=youtu.be

I must give credit to Amazon for their returns system, I was refunded within a couple of hours of sending it back.

I have since bought a Nextbase and I am now trying it out.

Fortyfoot
    Last edited by Fortyfoot; 13-04-2016 at 6:37 PM.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 13th Apr 16, 8:58 PM
    • 9,311 Posts
    • 48,764 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I never connect my Dashcam to my computer. Apart from anything else, it'd mean removing it from the car, which would disturb the alignment.

Instead I remove the Micro SD Card, and insert it into the SD Card reader on my computer.
    Last edited by Bedsit Bob; 14-04-2016 at 7:58 PM.

• Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 13th Apr 16, 9:06 PM
    • 5,317 Posts
    • 6,669 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    The bonus is, you can drive aggressively, cause your own problems through sheer aggressiveness, swear and curse and upload the video to you tube.

From watching the videos, I think insurance companies should be increasing premiums for some dash cam drivers, they get themselves in to some right pickles by ignoring the collective good courtesy that gets us all home safe and well.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • markfj
    • By markfj 13th Apr 16, 10:06 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    markfj
    ive got a Mobius in the front and the rear, they are great. However last time I tried the motion detection on them it didn't work very well, this maybe addressed in future firmware though

For regular driving though, i'd happily recommend and as mentioned above, you're best off with a SD card reader, rather than connecting the camera to the pc via usb.
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 14th Apr 16, 9:42 AM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 880 Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    Thanks, I do not leave my cam on view when my car is not being used, it would probably get stolen.

It is very fiddly to removed the micro card without disturbing the position of the cam. It is not easy to remove it from the cam when removed from holder.

I tried the Nextbase 402G yesterday and it was great. I have not tried all the functions yet. Fingers crossed!

Fortyfoot
    • Kernow666
    • By Kernow666 14th Apr 16, 10:50 AM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 3,109 Thanks
    Kernow666
    I use an SJ4000 (Go-Pro alike), cost me £45, runs on battery for 1.5 hours. I take it out after each journey, I delete old footage and recharge it, then put in back in the car when I go out.

All this stuff with dashcams that are hard wired and turn on/off automatically etc......... Seriously? what's the point? They cost a fortune and ultimately do exactly the same job.
    Originally posted by Strider590

I have exact same but have it running from the power socket and use the car mode on cam to it starts recording when its switched on

works very well
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
    • fenlander_uk
    • By fenlander_uk 14th Apr 16, 2:17 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    fenlander_uk
    I was looking at, this one.

It's the one Techmoan is currently using.

Nice and unobtrusive, not too expensive (in fact about the same price as Strider590's SJ4000 ).

I don't want the faff of taking one in and out of the car every time, I just want to fit and forget.
    Originally posted by RichardD1970
    From 'Product safety' on Amazon's page for this item:
    "Warning: Protective equipment should be worn. Not to be used in traffic"
    Interesting concept.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 17th Oct 16, 1:31 PM
    • 26,060 Posts
    • 12,529 Thanks
    Cardew
    Just resurrecting this thread.

I have been looking at buying a dash cam and am appalled at how many reliability problems owners experience.

There is no question that, when working properly, they produce superb videos, and there are loads of owner's reviews that confirm that conclusion - but most of these reviews are from delighted owners who bought a few weeks ago. Techmoan's reviews are excellent, but only tests for a few weeks.

However there are loads of 1* reviews on Amazon etc, even by new owners, of faults or design defects.

I can do without the 'bells and whistles' if only I could get a reliable dash cam.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,074Posts Today

7,796Users online

Martin's Twitter