Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    • 1,224Posts
    • 6,703Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Time to get serious
    • 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    Time to get serious 26th Jan 16 at 7:50 PM
    Hello Everyone

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now. There have been many mentions that a diary has helped many of you with your goals, so I'm here to join in and knuckle down.

My oustanding mortgage is very small, that is not the real challenge!

This year the mortgage will be gone, however we are really keen to move.

Getting a mortgage for the type of house we want will be difficult, so the plan is to save as much as possible. It doesn't help that I am very impatient!!

The initial focus is to clear the current mortgage and reduce the outgoings. On the 1st January it was £9400 and I was hoping to have it paid off by the end of the year. It is currently at £3900

So far I have claimed credit back from energy suppliers, claimed outstanding expenses from the business and sent off scrap gold. Ate from the mealplan, there was lots of food left over from Christmas and used the nectar points at $ainsburys and T3sco points for food, claimed the cashback sitting in T0pCashback, scoured all the accounts to shuffle bits into the mortgage and bought virtually nothing all month (not sustainable I know!!).

Off to hunt for the next financial area of focus....
Page 44
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 27th Jan 18, 12:36 PM
    • 3,554 Posts
    • 29,826 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    You are so busy! Are you feeling better now?
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 28th Jan 18, 9:12 AM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 6,703 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Yes thank you SHS, just a little sniffly so drinking lots of orange juice.

Lovely day with friends yesterday, left after lunch so managed to get 2/3 stables mats down before running out of energy. We are conducting an experiment with shavings in one and straw in the other to see which is best.

Plenty to be getting on with today, i think just 1 bag of horse feed needed and maybe I!!!8217;ll pick up a tray of sausages whilst I!!!8217;m there. Much tastier and cheaper than supermarket ones.

My bank account is still looking ok, but I do need to check the bills account and maybe transfer a 6 monthly dividend over. Of course with end of January being 6 months into our business year, that also means it is time for the quarterly vat return to be completed again. This always seems to come around so quickly! I think that will be the priority for next weekend.
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 28th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 2,971 Posts
    • 21,117 Thanks
    Watty1
    Be interesting to hear how you get on with 'experiment'. I have rubber mats in mine, and after playing around settled on a hemp bedding which I skip out daily and just remove the wet once a fortnight (or in summer every 3 or so weeks). I had a little Welsh here for a while, and for her, I just used a little shavings bed at the back and very little bedding and swept out daily. I thought that would be cheaper as the hemp is expensive, but, turned out to be more expensive and more time consuming. Was surprised at that!
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaid next mortgage. £79,491 down to £27152
    Changing focus for now
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 28th Jan 18, 10:06 AM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 6,703 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    That!!!8217;s really interesting to hear that Watty, I hadn!!!8217;t considered hemp. Although had straw and shavings already so made sense to try those first.
    Maybe I will extend the experiment!

I think it will be much better for my old girl as she has a tendency to slip and fall, so wet floors are a bit of a hazard.

I!!!8217;m also hoping for less wastage and more time saving....I!!!8217;m not expecting much then
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 3rd Feb 18, 8:20 AM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 6,703 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Morning mfws. A new month has begun.

There was a little over £200 left in my account at the end of January, so this has been shuffled over to savings.

A big food shop has been delivered, I!!!8217;m hoping this will last the month with just some small top ups needed. There are a few new dishes to try on the meal plan this month.

Horse feed and bedding top up needed today as well and dog event entries to do, then it is a case of trying to spend as little as possible for the rest of the month!

Today I will be restocking the freezer with soup, doing business accounts and getting out with the dogs.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 3rd Feb 18, 9:18 AM
    • 28,542 Posts
    • 161,028 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sounds very businesslike, EE though getting out with the dogs is always a good'un
    Retired August 2016
    • try harder
    • By try harder 3rd Feb 18, 10:30 AM
    • 672 Posts
    • 2,485 Thanks
    try harder
    Oh yes ,its great having a dog ,great exercise too
    • CathT
    • By CathT 3rd Feb 18, 12:14 PM
    • 5,425 Posts
    • 37,976 Thanks
    CathT
    Have you got a gremlin in your posts ETE?
    Feb 2018 -
    part 1 - £78,989
    part 2 - £45,748
    Total - £124,737
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 3rd Feb 18, 1:40 PM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 6,703 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    It does appear so CathT, it is when I put apostrophes. It does not show like that when typing. I am posting from my phone, so I wonder if that is why.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 3rd Feb 18, 5:47 PM
    • 3,554 Posts
    • 29,826 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Is it the blessed autocorrect?
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 3rd Feb 18, 6:41 PM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 6,703 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    No I do not think so, trying to type without using apostrophes now!! It all looks fine if I try to edit the posts, so not sure what that is all about.

Quite a productive day, tomato soup and sweet potato with chorizo soup in the fridge and freezer ready for lunches. Horse bedding bought (horse feed will need to go back for as out of stock). Fair bit of business accounts done, lots of washing shuffled around, a lovely dog walk and a rather hairy ride on the horse

Of course plenty left to do as always, but I am stopping now. I also requested payout from TCB of £38, which I will transfer over to savings.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 3rd Feb 18, 8:37 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 8,489 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Hope you're feeling better and well done for having money left in your account

Enjoy the rest of your weekend xx
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 10th Feb 18, 6:45 AM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 6,703 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you PP, Sunday was a lovely day spent with both DDs and grandson. I was completely worn out by the end of the day.

My weeks are flashing by so quickly. The good news is not much money is being spent and the meal plan is holding up.

TCB money has reached my savings account and the quote has come through for the garage modifications. Not sure when the builder can fit us in but there is enough money put aside for it.

I will be off out this morning with the pupster, there is an event every weekend now for the next 4 weekends with him. Luckily all local, so quite cheap but it will take some organisation to fit everything in!

I will try and squeeze in some updates on the quarterly accounts before I head off.
    • try harder
    • By try harder 10th Feb 18, 7:42 AM
    • 672 Posts
    • 2,485 Thanks
    try harder
    Have a good day.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 11th Feb 18, 8:08 AM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 6,703 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you tryharder.

I have another cold type bug now, do they not know I have things to do? So not as much done yesterday as I would have hoped and plenty of rest planned today.

Hopefully it will give me chance to complete the accounts (very optimistic planning there!) I would also love to get another flavour soup in the freezer to give a bit of variety next week.

I have had an idea about offering to buy a barn that is next to our stables, I have no idea if the owners will be willing to sell it off separately or even if we could afford it, but it has got to be worth finding out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

200Posts Today

1,493Users online

Martin's Twitter