Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    • 1,162Posts
    • 6,238Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Time to get serious
    • 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    Time to get serious 26th Jan 16 at 7:50 PM
    Hello Everyone

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now. There have been many mentions that a diary has helped many of you with your goals, so I'm here to join in and knuckle down.

My oustanding mortgage is very small, that is not the real challenge!

This year the mortgage will be gone, however we are really keen to move.

Getting a mortgage for the type of house we want will be difficult, so the plan is to save as much as possible. It doesn't help that I am very impatient!!

The initial focus is to clear the current mortgage and reduce the outgoings. On the 1st January it was £9400 and I was hoping to have it paid off by the end of the year. It is currently at £3900

So far I have claimed credit back from energy suppliers, claimed outstanding expenses from the business and sent off scrap gold. Ate from the mealplan, there was lots of food left over from Christmas and used the nectar points at $ainsburys and T3sco points for food, claimed the cashback sitting in T0pCashback, scoured all the accounts to shuffle bits into the mortgage and bought virtually nothing all month (not sustainable I know!!).

Off to hunt for the next financial area of focus....
Page 40
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 8th Oct 17, 12:17 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,238 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Goodness knows how many programmes it had mfd, but we only ever used two!

It has had a few repairs over the years, but nothing too expensive. It has done very well. It has even had horse stuff in there at various points through the years.

I've finally sat down and spent a couple hours going through all the house/field paperwork. There are mountains of it and quite a bit of it duplicated. It feels good to have it all filed correctly with everything clear. It has also freed up space on the bookcase as it was all in a big (irritating) pile for ages.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 14th Oct 17, 7:49 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,238 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Another week has flown by, I'm trying to think what has happened.

i've had homemade soup every day this week for lunch, but I will need to replenish stocks for next week.

An online food shop arrived after I completed the meal plan last weekend.

I ordered something of 3bay for my dad's birthday next week, but I think I will keep it back for Christmas and just get chocolates posted to him.

It is indeed dark morning when I'm taking the dog out, so I purchased some reflective clothes. All online purchases with the best price obtained.

There are quite a few purchases I need to make this weekend too. Birthday gifts, cards, shampoo, nothing very exciting. Sometimes it feels once you start spending it's like a floodgate has opened though!

Last weekend I also completed the review through the mse energy club and started the switch to a new provider, which should keep our energy bills down.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 15th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    • 4,118 Posts
    • 22,853 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    It is indeed dark morning when I'm taking the dog out, so I purchased some reflective clothes. All online purchases with the best price obtained.

Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    On weekdays my poor dogs only have walks in the dark as the mornings are still dark until at least 6.45am and in the evenings it is now getting dark by 6.30pm.
    The only time they see daylight on a walk is at weekends now.

I have LED collars for the dogs and I wear a head torch - although the latter is for finding the poo in the dark
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 15 for November
    NSD - 1/15
    (up to 01/11/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 15th Oct 17, 8:45 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 1,734 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    It sounds as if all is well in your world ETE - MSE stuff all sounds like second nature now .
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 15th Oct 17, 9:14 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,238 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I wear a head torch - although the latter is for finding the poo in the dark
    Originally posted by Eager_Elephant
    I've been using the torch on my phone but the thought has crossed my mind that I might drop it! I'm sure I have a head torch from when I used to ride the horses in the dark, I might see if I can find it.

BusyMee I think you are right, most of the ms ways are second nature, but I'm sure I could do better!

We had a lovely day yesterday, pottering around up the field and clearing a few more brambles. We did have lunch out at a wonderful dog friendly farm cafe we found during our week off, before heading up to the moors with the dogs.

Some online shopping was also completed, some shampoo that I use and a birthday present for my dad. I found a great offer for the shampoo (3for2) and went through tcb for the birthday present.
    An easy dinner of chilli from the freezer too.

The field hedge is being trimmed Monday, so the last side of the field will need to be fenced over the next couple weekends, it will be quite expensive getting the fencing to do it, but such a huge saving (we are talking thousands!) by doing it ourselves.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 15th Oct 17, 10:04 AM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 27,746 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    That is exciting to get the last of your fencing in.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 21st Oct 17, 7:22 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,238 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I have so much to catch up on this weekend!

In positive news I should be able to avoid another big shop until after the end of the month. There is plenty in the freezer and cupboards, I just need to make more soup for lunches and do some baking.

It’s also looking like the big work contract will be going into January, so that will keep the business account growing nicely.

I’ve just heard my mum will be staying for a couple nights next week for DD2s birthday, so a slight rejig of the meal plan will be needed. I might need to bake a cake actually....luckily the girls are still laying plenty of eggs, so I’m sure I probably have all the ingredients in.

Hubby is out on a job this morning so I should have a few hours pottering at home to hopefully get a few things knocked off the list.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 21st Oct 17, 12:54 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,238 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I’m just sat down with a cup of tea. It’s very blowy outside!

The dog’s have been taken down to the river, washing shuffled (still haven’t decided definitely on the heated airer), some Christmas presents purchased using TCB, CP updated, all paperwork downloaded and printed for the planning permission for the house extension, dishwasher loaded and two types of soup bubbling away on the hob

It’s very impressive until you look at the list of things still to do

I’m about to start the ironing so that will slow down my progress somewhat.

I hope no-one has had any damage caused in all this weather.
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 24th Oct 17, 11:43 AM
    • 902 Posts
    • 4,420 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    you're very productive /ETE. I'm just trying to pluck up courage to do G&E and internet... I do draw the line at ironing
    Mortgage Feb '13 £200000, end 2038. Aiming for before March 2025 (crunched to 2034)
    January 16 £182800 : minimum £360 OP but needs to be £600 to achieve 2025
    Current mortgage £158200
    h@lifax CC £4300 0% until May 2018.. will pay minimum for now, slow stooze
    CC daughter gift and holiday spends £2200
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 24th Oct 17, 2:37 PM
    • 28,187 Posts
    • 155,298 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Itís very impressive until you look at the list of things still to do
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    I'm familiar with that feeling

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 29th Oct 17, 8:32 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,238 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I do draw the line at ironing
    Originally posted by Moneyfordreams
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 29th Oct 17, 8:44 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,238 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I have survived the week!

My weeks at the moment seem to consist of work and dog activities, mainly walking the big dog in the morning to get his miles in and two lots of evening training for pupster. At least it’s cheap!

As it was DD2s birthday this week we also managed to shoehorn in an evening meal out at an amazing carvery place. It’s not cheap at around £10 a head, but the carvery is the best AND they have an old fashioned sweet trolley they wheel around. It came to £20 a head so not too bad on the pocket, but best of all DD1 actually paid for herself and DD2 had her meal paid for by her boyfriend, who also paid for himself

The reason for the excitement is that they usually expect us to pick up the bill for them, but I feel at their age they should be paying their way. Are they truly independent now?!

There has also been a fair few Christmas presents bought these last couple of weeks. There are a few DDs set up from bank accounts to Tesco savers which are there to meet the DD requirements of the accounts. This will be shuffled back over to cover the presents.

This weekend we are doing the fencing so I am physically exhausted from a day of hard labour yesterday and more today, it’s looking great though
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 29th Oct 17, 2:13 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    michelle09
    Hooray for survival! DD2 clearly has great taste in boyfriends.

Hope the fencing is going well.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 29th Oct 17, 3:45 PM
    • 28,187 Posts
    • 155,298 Thanks
    Karmacat
    So glad things are panning out for you! It's the hard work you've already put in, of course, but its still great
    Retired August 2016
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 29th Oct 17, 4:11 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,238 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you Michelle and KarmaCat, I’m done for the day. Everything aches, but it looks amazing!
    About half way along with all the posts in pilot holes in position, so excellent progress

I’m so glad there is plenty of soup in the freezer for lunches next week as I’m fit for nothing now!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 29th Oct 17, 6:17 PM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 27,746 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Well done on your fencing efforts.
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 30th Oct 17, 12:06 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 1,734 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Well done on getting your fencing done and I am suitably impressed that DD's and BF paid for their own meals. Have a good week
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 5th Nov 17, 7:38 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,238 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I’m still amazed BusyMee!

This week has seen the end of the month come and go. A few £ shuffled to savings, taking it to around £550.

Meter readings have been submitted for the energy changeover and we had a couple hundred pound credit from BG, although that will just stay in the bills account for now.

I’ve done a big shop from Sains, which has arrived and should keep us going a few weeks, but not managed a meal plan yet.

I’ve nearly run out of dog food again, so need to get some more ordered today.

The most important job I need to focus on at the moment is that end of business quarter has come around again, so need to get business accounts done for vat return. No rest for the wicked!
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 5th Nov 17, 8:45 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 1,734 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Nice to see you ETE sounds like everything is well in your world. I don't envy you doing the VAT return !
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 5th Nov 17, 8:50 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,238 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I dislike it immensely and it seems to come around again so quick!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,500Posts Today

6,166Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin