Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    • 1,124Posts
    • 6,056Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Time to get serious
    • 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    Time to get serious 26th Jan 16 at 7:50 PM
    Hello Everyone

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now. There have been many mentions that a diary has helped many of you with your goals, so I'm here to join in and knuckle down.

My oustanding mortgage is very small, that is not the real challenge!

This year the mortgage will be gone, however we are really keen to move.

Getting a mortgage for the type of house we want will be difficult, so the plan is to save as much as possible. It doesn't help that I am very impatient!!

The initial focus is to clear the current mortgage and reduce the outgoings. On the 1st January it was £9400 and I was hoping to have it paid off by the end of the year. It is currently at £3900

So far I have claimed credit back from energy suppliers, claimed outstanding expenses from the business and sent off scrap gold. Ate from the mealplan, there was lots of food left over from Christmas and used the nectar points at $ainsburys and T3sco points for food, claimed the cashback sitting in T0pCashback, scoured all the accounts to shuffle bits into the mortgage and bought virtually nothing all month (not sustainable I know!!).

Off to hunt for the next financial area of focus....
Page 40
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 8th Oct 17, 12:17 PM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 6,056 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Goodness knows how many programmes it had mfd, but we only ever used two!

It has had a few repairs over the years, but nothing too expensive. It has done very well. It has even had horse stuff in there at various points through the years.

I've finally sat down and spent a couple hours going through all the house/field paperwork. There are mountains of it and quite a bit of it duplicated. It feels good to have it all filed correctly with everything clear. It has also freed up space on the bookcase as it was all in a big (irritating) pile for ages.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 14th Oct 17, 7:49 AM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 6,056 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Another week has flown by, I'm trying to think what has happened.

i've had homemade soup every day this week for lunch, but I will need to replenish stocks for next week.

An online food shop arrived after I completed the meal plan last weekend.

I ordered something of 3bay for my dad's birthday next week, but I think I will keep it back for Christmas and just get chocolates posted to him.

It is indeed dark morning when I'm taking the dog out, so I purchased some reflective clothes. All online purchases with the best price obtained.

There are quite a few purchases I need to make this weekend too. Birthday gifts, cards, shampoo, nothing very exciting. Sometimes it feels once you start spending it's like a floodgate has opened though!

Last weekend I also completed the review through the mse energy club and started the switch to a new provider, which should keep our energy bills down.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 15th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    • 4,106 Posts
    • 22,132 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    It is indeed dark morning when I'm taking the dog out, so I purchased some reflective clothes. All online purchases with the best price obtained.

Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    On weekdays my poor dogs only have walks in the dark as the mornings are still dark until at least 6.45am and in the evenings it is now getting dark by 6.30pm.
    The only time they see daylight on a walk is at weekends now.

I have LED collars for the dogs and I wear a head torch - although the latter is for finding the poo in the dark
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 33 for October
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/10/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 15th Oct 17, 8:45 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    It sounds as if all is well in your world ETE - MSE stuff all sounds like second nature now .
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 15th Oct 17, 9:14 AM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 6,056 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I wear a head torch - although the latter is for finding the poo in the dark
    Originally posted by Eager_Elephant
    I've been using the torch on my phone but the thought has crossed my mind that I might drop it! I'm sure I have a head torch from when I used to ride the horses in the dark, I might see if I can find it.

BusyMee I think you are right, most of the ms ways are second nature, but I'm sure I could do better!

We had a lovely day yesterday, pottering around up the field and clearing a few more brambles. We did have lunch out at a wonderful dog friendly farm cafe we found during our week off, before heading up to the moors with the dogs.

Some online shopping was also completed, some shampoo that I use and a birthday present for my dad. I found a great offer for the shampoo (3for2) and went through tcb for the birthday present.
    An easy dinner of chilli from the freezer too.

The field hedge is being trimmed Monday, so the last side of the field will need to be fenced over the next couple weekends, it will be quite expensive getting the fencing to do it, but such a huge saving (we are talking thousands!) by doing it ourselves.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 15th Oct 17, 10:04 AM
    • 3,392 Posts
    • 26,469 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    That is exciting to get the last of your fencing in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

76Posts Today

2,674Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin