Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    • 1,152Posts
    • 6,180Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Time to get serious
    • 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    Time to get serious 26th Jan 16 at 7:50 PM
    Hello Everyone

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now. There have been many mentions that a diary has helped many of you with your goals, so I'm here to join in and knuckle down.

My oustanding mortgage is very small, that is not the real challenge!

This year the mortgage will be gone, however we are really keen to move.

Getting a mortgage for the type of house we want will be difficult, so the plan is to save as much as possible. It doesn't help that I am very impatient!!

The initial focus is to clear the current mortgage and reduce the outgoings. On the 1st January it was £9400 and I was hoping to have it paid off by the end of the year. It is currently at £3900

So far I have claimed credit back from energy suppliers, claimed outstanding expenses from the business and sent off scrap gold. Ate from the mealplan, there was lots of food left over from Christmas and used the nectar points at $ainsburys and T3sco points for food, claimed the cashback sitting in T0pCashback, scoured all the accounts to shuffle bits into the mortgage and bought virtually nothing all month (not sustainable I know!!).

Off to hunt for the next financial area of focus....
Page 39
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Sep 17, 3:54 PM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,298 Thanks
    Karmacat
    A little puppy is going to add busy-ness, thats for sure but its a nice form, of course

I thought I was going to a doggy fun day toay, in my local park, but I didn't write the day properly, and I've missed it, sob ... I bet yours was fun!
    Retired August 2016
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 10th Sep 17, 7:35 PM
    • 2,262 Posts
    • 10,228 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    We should get another flashing collar for our boy, ours last a season and then stop flashing.
    MFW: Dec '13 £197,100 / Dec '14 £180,691 / Dec '15 £161,669 / Dec '16 £119,669 / Nov '17 £105,759
    2017 MFW #56: £13,909/£15,000 92% / MFiT-T4 #15: £53,740/£90,000 59%
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 16th Sep 17, 7:13 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,180 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Morning everyone, I'm not getting chance to check in during the week much at the moment, but mse ways are still at the forefront!

I hope you make the next fun day KC, they are often regular events. I will be looking for some around November for pupster.

Hidden we had an excellent one for our first dog that lasted years and years and years. They certainly don't make them like that anymore. A blue led turned up from 3bay in the week, so we shall give it a thorough testing!

Not much has happened this week on the money front. DD2 did get parking sensors fitted to her car. We paid half for her birthday, but birthdays are budgeted for and also means we don't have to think what to get her.

Pupster had his final jabs, hubby paid for that. Two lots of training sorted, both are of the type you turn up as and when and pay in the day. This does give better value for money but does mean remembering to get cash out in advance. It starts this week.

There was a big surplus of eggs in the fridge so the meal plan was altered and we had omelette one night, followed by ham, egg and chips the next. This gives a couple meals to roll over.

I also managed/am managing to resist the 20% off at marks. I need to remember that they do this for next year though.

As well as all the usual weekend plans I need to go through the stuff in the fridge to chop up and freeze the little bits of veg and things in there. It means they won't go to waste then plus it will be quicker to throw them into a meal in the week.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 16th Sep 17, 7:58 AM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 27,510 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    You have reminded me. Must make frittata!
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 23rd Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,180 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Whoops no mid week updates from me again.
    Main highlights are lots of steps managed and end of year accounts reviewed by the accountant.

Amazingly we could still take an extra 3,000ish out of the business, even after all our borrowings from it this last year! This is very good news indeed and the money has been shuffled into the bills account. This should be enough to completely forget about this account until next year end and all the bills will be covered.

I ordered the second food shop of the month and again I haven't done a meal plan first. I imagine there will be quite a lot of meals that can roll over, so the next shop should be cheaper. Baileys 1ltr was £8 off so only £12, so I snuck a bottle in for Christmas.

Santa express has been booked for Christmas Eve for DGS, so that is something to look forward to as well.

I'm exhausted this weekend, so hopefully just pottering around is all that will be happening today. Tomorrow we are taking the 4x4 up to the copse at the top of the field to collect up more firewood for the winter, DD1 and DGS are coming to help too.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 24th Sep 17, 7:34 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,180 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    A lovely quiet day yesterday pottering around. I still managed to get the ironing done and order some horse feed.

DD1 took my boots to be reheeled, so that is another job off the list.

Before they arrive today to go up the field I would like to get up to date with paperwork and maybe cook some soup for lunches next week.

I'm sure they will want lunch too, so a little picnic will need to be rustled up, along with putting a spag bol in the slow cooker for when we get back.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 24th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,298 Thanks
    Karmacat
    ... I still managed to get the ironing done and order some horse feed....DD1 took my boots to be reheeled, so that is another job off the list.
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    That stuff really adds up, doesn't it - you've ticked off a fair few this weekend
    Retired August 2016
    • jodles16
    • By jodles16 24th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 3,960 Thanks
    jodles16
    Hi ETE,

Puppy sounds fab, I love buying our dogs new things, only thing is they love to chew and destroy toys so I am reluctant to buy new toys too often! Luckily tennis balls can be bought in bulk and arent as fun to destroy! I want to get the LED collars for my two, as it will be very dark in the am now and although I have a fabulous head torch its nice to know they will be seen as well! Also, watching collars running around the field is so funny!

Jodles
    MFW2017 #29 1200.24/4524
    MFiT #66
    Overall aim 10,124.20/21,743 (£156,000)
    2016- Jan-£177,472, Apr-£173,195.04, July- £171,417.47 Oct- 169,366
    2017- Jan- 167,347.80 Apr- July- Oct-

• EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 30th Sep 17, 9:20 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,180 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    My week off is here at last! I'm just a bit excited and it might be a bit spendy, although lots of walking outside and pottering at home should balance that out. Dogs will be allowed back on the beaches too, so a few beach walks planned.

KC I think the chipping away at things is the only way! Lots more ticked off since I last posted.

Jodles I have been using the flashing collar a few mornings this week when walking the big dog. I'm dreading how dark it will be in the mornings after this week off. It is very amusing to see the lights running around in the dark!

Last day of the month and there is £90 left, plus the last £20 ever from CB. I'm going to shuffle this all into savings, then I have some expenses to claim from the business (no idea how much) which I will put to the mortgage.

Still chipping away!
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 1st Oct 17, 7:28 AM
    • 427 Posts
    • 1,659 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Have a fab week off, it sounds as if you are ready for it
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 1st Oct 17, 8:05 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,180 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you BusyMee, I'm very excited about it!!

I'm quite tired today as we have had our grandson for a sleepover, he has been awake since 5:30

Off to a local funday today with him and the dogs, then we are going out for a meal tonight. We are trying somewhere new so I hope it's good.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 3rd Oct 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,180 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Today I've been sat in the sun up the stables for ages and it definitely hasn't felt like October, absolutely beautiful.

Because our field had been empty and not looked after for 4/5 years before we bought it there are a lot of brambles taking over parts. I am hoping to completely clear these within the next year or so in quiet time. Today i was collecting lots of blackberries from them, which are now in the freezer. I can't wait to make crumble.

We've also been cutting up fallen wood from the copse to put on the fire, so it felt like quite a frugal day until I bought a winter rug for the horses. Although it was nearly £100 cheaper than rrp as it was on offer and then there was a 10% discount code, so could have been a lot worse.

I had planned to buy it from this month's money, so when the discount code came through I knew I had to grab it quick!

Yesterday hubby had to do a repair at our old house, luckily it didn't cost much apart from time. He popped into B00ts to pick up his prescription after leaving there and the posh lady was ever so shocked he had to actually pay for his prescription. Maybe it was the old 'work' clothes he had on. Funny how people judge that you are poor when you don't walk around in fancy clothes. He did say that he thought she wouldn't be surprised to learn that we collect logs to keep warm too
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 4th Oct 17, 11:12 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,180 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    My main account is looking a bit low after the big spends yesterday. The RS I set up a year ago just matured though, there was not much in there as I raided it to buy the field then lowered the monthly amount to the minimum.

£22 in interest, free money, so not to be sneezed at. That plus the remaining money has been shuffled over to the savings pot. £444 now in there, quite pitiful but definitely better than nothing.

DD1 has paid her rent for our old house, but DD2 hasn't paid her rent. Her wages are very poor after her time off after her car accident. At least we have a good buffer in the bills account, she is going to ask for an extra shift each week at work to pay it back that way.

I'm having a ponder whilst ironing, I prefer to be out doing things at the weekends (walking/riding/events etc) so don't want to have a backlog of household jobs to do, so I'm trying to work out how to fit it all in during the week. I think it will have to be early mornings as my energy levels really drop by the evening. There just isn't enough hours in the day!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Oct 17, 11:16 AM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,298 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Even when the planned expenditure costs a lot, its still necessary

I know what you mean about not enough hours in the day - I don't have enough either even though I'm retired. Not all due to ill health, either - some of it is due to too many interests I keep juggling

Hope you get free and clear for the weekend.
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 4th Oct 17, 10:17 PM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 19,892 Thanks
    Watty1
    Totally get the 'not enough hours' thing.....
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £27152
    • greent
    • By greent 5th Oct 17, 8:33 AM
    • 6,432 Posts
    • 64,915 Thanks
    greent
    Totally get the 'not enough hours' thing.....
    Originally posted by Watty1
    Oh yes.... me too. I sometimes think if I came off mse it would help - but there's a level of sanity gained by following diaries
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5034/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1226.02/£500 PAYDOX17 £11937/£10k Decluttered 1760/2017 items
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 6th Oct 17, 8:03 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,180 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you Karma, Watty & Greent. It is very frustrating not being able to fit everything in! It will no doubt be a conundrum that won't be solved, it doesn't stop me trying though

I have deliberately not been trying to get on top of house/field/work stuff during this week off, although a few bits have been done.

We've had a couple of lunches out, been to the beach, visited my mum, sat in the sun and generally lazed around.

Today hubby wants to tinker with the 4x4 for a bit, he is replacing the heater so we will have heat for the winter. I will be baking some banana and choc chip muffins to use up some overripe bananas. I had forgotten that I used to do this a lot until DD1 reminded me and said how much she liked them (I think it was a hint!). I would also like to stock up the feeezer with soups for work lunches. Then we can take the dogs out. It shouldn't be too strenuous!
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 8th Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,180 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Last day off today, it really has gone too fast.

By this time of the month I should have done the first shop, but this hasn't been done yet. A combination of eating out of stores and eating out for our staycation has meant we have managed so far.

Freezer inventory, meal plan and shop to be completed asap.

I have got quite a few muffins, which may reduce drastically when DD1 comes round for dinner today. Also 9 portions of two types of soup in the feeezer for lunch, I might possibly manage to make a third type to give more variety, we will see how time goes today.

Account rewards for a few months have built up in one of my current accounts so £12 has been swept to savings.

The washing machine has finally died. We asked it to please last until divi time, which it has, so we can't complain. It has seen us through both DDs growing up, so we feel we have had our money's worth from it. New one ordered from B00ts, which was the cheapest place and went through t0pcashback. It is coming next week.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 8th Oct 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 27,510 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    That's a good innings for a washing machine.
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 8th Oct 17, 11:49 AM
    • 902 Posts
    • 4,398 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    definitely had your moneys worth... They are all so complicated. I use one programme.
    Mortgage Feb '13 £200000, end 2038. Aiming for before March 2025 (crunched to 2034)
    January 16 £182800 : minimum £360 OP but needs to be £600 to achieve 2025
    Current mortgage £158200
    h@lifax CC £4300 0% until May 2018.. will pay minimum for now, slow stooze
    CC daughter gift and holiday spends £2200
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

868Posts Today

6,572Users online

Martin's Twitter