Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    • 1,104Posts
    • 5,948Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Time to get serious
    • 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    Time to get serious 26th Jan 16 at 7:50 PM
    Hello Everyone

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now. There have been many mentions that a diary has helped many of you with your goals, so I'm here to join in and knuckle down.

My oustanding mortgage is very small, that is not the real challenge!

This year the mortgage will be gone, however we are really keen to move.

Getting a mortgage for the type of house we want will be difficult, so the plan is to save as much as possible. It doesn't help that I am very impatient!!

The initial focus is to clear the current mortgage and reduce the outgoings. On the 1st January it was £9400 and I was hoping to have it paid off by the end of the year. It is currently at £3900

So far I have claimed credit back from energy suppliers, claimed outstanding expenses from the business and sent off scrap gold. Ate from the mealplan, there was lots of food left over from Christmas and used the nectar points at $ainsburys and T3sco points for food, claimed the cashback sitting in T0pCashback, scoured all the accounts to shuffle bits into the mortgage and bought virtually nothing all month (not sustainable I know!!).

Off to hunt for the next financial area of focus....
Page 39
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Sep 17, 3:54 PM
    • 27,728 Posts
    • 151,521 Thanks
    Karmacat
    A little puppy is going to add busy-ness, thats for sure but its a nice form, of course

I thought I was going to a doggy fun day toay, in my local park, but I didn't write the day properly, and I've missed it, sob ... I bet yours was fun!
    Retired August 2016
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 10th Sep 17, 7:35 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 10,050 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    We should get another flashing collar for our boy, ours last a season and then stop flashing.
    MFW: Dec '13 £197,100 / Dec '14 £180,691 / Dec '15 £161,669 / Dec '16 £119,669 / Sept '17 ££107,383
    Payment 44/84 / 2017 MFW #56: £12,285/£20,000 61% / MFiT-T4 #15: £52,116/£90,000 57%
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 16th Sep 17, 7:13 AM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Morning everyone, I'm not getting chance to check in during the week much at the moment, but mse ways are still at the forefront!

I hope you make the next fun day KC, they are often regular events. I will be looking for some around November for pupster.

Hidden we had an excellent one for our first dog that lasted years and years and years. They certainly don't make them like that anymore. A blue led turned up from 3bay in the week, so we shall give it a thorough testing!

Not much has happened this week on the money front. DD2 did get parking sensors fitted to her car. We paid half for her birthday, but birthdays are budgeted for and also means we don't have to think what to get her.

Pupster had his final jabs, hubby paid for that. Two lots of training sorted, both are of the type you turn up as and when and pay in the day. This does give better value for money but does mean remembering to get cash out in advance. It starts this week.

There was a big surplus of eggs in the fridge so the meal plan was altered and we had omelette one night, followed by ham, egg and chips the next. This gives a couple meals to roll over.

I also managed/am managing to resist the 20% off at marks. I need to remember that they do this for next year though.

As well as all the usual weekend plans I need to go through the stuff in the fridge to chop up and freeze the little bits of veg and things in there. It means they won't go to waste then plus it will be quicker to throw them into a meal in the week.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 16th Sep 17, 7:58 AM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 26,001 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    You have reminded me. Must make frittata!
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 23rd Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Whoops no mid week updates from me again.
    Main highlights are lots of steps managed and end of year accounts reviewed by the accountant.

Amazingly we could still take an extra 3,000ish out of the business, even after all our borrowings from it this last year! This is very good news indeed and the money has been shuffled into the bills account. This should be enough to completely forget about this account until next year end and all the bills will be covered.

I ordered the second food shop of the month and again I haven't done a meal plan first. I imagine there will be quite a lot of meals that can roll over, so the next shop should be cheaper. Baileys 1ltr was £8 off so only £12, so I snuck a bottle in for Christmas.

Santa express has been booked for Christmas Eve for DGS, so that is something to look forward to as well.

I'm exhausted this weekend, so hopefully just pottering around is all that will be happening today. Tomorrow we are taking the 4x4 up to the copse at the top of the field to collect up more firewood for the winter, DD1 and DGS are coming to help too.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 24th Sep 17, 7:34 AM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    A lovely quiet day yesterday pottering around. I still managed to get the ironing done and order some horse feed.

DD1 took my boots to be reheeled, so that is another job off the list.

Before they arrive today to go up the field I would like to get up to date with paperwork and maybe cook some soup for lunches next week.

I'm sure they will want lunch too, so a little picnic will need to be rustled up, along with putting a spag bol in the slow cooker for when we get back.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

380Posts Today

3,631Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin