Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    • 1,105Posts
    • 5,963Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Time to get serious
    • 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    Time to get serious 26th Jan 16 at 7:50 PM
    Hello Everyone

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now. There have been many mentions that a diary has helped many of you with your goals, so I'm here to join in and knuckle down.

My oustanding mortgage is very small, that is not the real challenge!

This year the mortgage will be gone, however we are really keen to move.

Getting a mortgage for the type of house we want will be difficult, so the plan is to save as much as possible. It doesn't help that I am very impatient!!

The initial focus is to clear the current mortgage and reduce the outgoings. On the 1st January it was £9400 and I was hoping to have it paid off by the end of the year. It is currently at £3900

So far I have claimed credit back from energy suppliers, claimed outstanding expenses from the business and sent off scrap gold. Ate from the mealplan, there was lots of food left over from Christmas and used the nectar points at $ainsburys and T3sco points for food, claimed the cashback sitting in T0pCashback, scoured all the accounts to shuffle bits into the mortgage and bought virtually nothing all month (not sustainable I know!!).

Off to hunt for the next financial area of focus....
Page 38
    • jodles16
    • By jodles16 19th Aug 17, 5:42 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 3,927 Thanks
    jodles16
    Hi ETE,

Been a little while, pleased to see you are still doing fabulously! Well done on looking out for DD, you have saved her a good amount and definitely complain about the company, how awful!

I am hoping to be around a bit more to check in now!

Jodles
    MFW2017 #29 1200.24/4524
    MFiT #66
    Overall aim 10,124.20/21,743 (£156,000)
    2016- Jan-£177,472, Apr-£173,195.04, July- £171,417.47 Oct- 169,366
    2017- Jan- 167,347.80 Apr- July- Oct-

• smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 19th Aug 17, 5:47 PM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 26,034 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    New puppy woohoo!

I will ride DD's horse if I ever get the weight off.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 22nd Aug 17, 7:37 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thanks hidden.
    Great to see you back Jodles, I will pop over to your diary soon to catch up.
    SHS a mother/daughter share sounds ideal

Last food shop of the month ordered to come today, there won't be much left in the account after that is paid.

Sunday was a long day, with a quick trip to Wales with the big dog. We had family round Sunday night and fortunately, or unfortunately for mse ways, found a Chinese in the next town that delivers to our village.

I'm about a third through the remaining bits to do for the end of year accounts, the accountant will have a job with them this year due to the fact we borrowed a lot for the deposit on this new house. Hopefully he will sort it all out and just tell us what we need to pay where and when. The business account is building back up nicely, so I'm not overly worried. I just need to complete the paperwork asap!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 22nd Aug 17, 8:00 AM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 26,034 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Was big dog competing?
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 23rd Aug 17, 9:56 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Yes he was SHS, no prizes this time though. Seems like new pupster has a fan club already, everybody is asking when he will be out competing!

I'm still ploughing through the accounts but I did manage to save DD2 £30 per month on her car insurance quote. She's found a replacement car providing the AA check goes ok tomorrow. It was very timely that Martin's email this week mentioned adding another driver onto the insurance, added myself as a named driver and this gives a saving of £30 each month. She reckons this will be about an extra tank of fuel a month for her (her boyfriend has a similar car)! Plus a good excuse to borrow her car now and then when one of ours is in the garage.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 24th Aug 17, 7:02 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    AA check wasn't great on the car today for DD2, so back to the drawing board. I'm glad we paid to get the check done.
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 25th Aug 17, 7:27 AM
    • 368 Posts
    • 1,331 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Hi ETE sorry to hear about the DD's car troubles - it all just an additional worry when they start driving isn't it ? The worries just change as they get older. A good move getting the AA check done though, you need the reassurance that they have a safe vehicle.

I am very jealous of your puppy, I am desperate for a dog and am working on OH to get one when he retires. What breed did you get ?
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 25th Aug 17, 10:19 AM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 26,034 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    I am guessing the same as big dog?
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Aug 17, 8:27 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Morning everyone, a lovely long weekend, which I'm very excited about.

Busy Mee I agree about the worry, it doesn't get better as they grow up at all, it just changes into bigger worries!

Yes the puppy is the same as big dog, there are similarities in the breeding lines too.

The first water bill has come through for this house and I'm extremely pleased that it is lower than we were paying at our old house. There are still improvements to be made too as we haven't been using what is in the butts that much.

Right, lots to get done this weekend so I had better move while I have the energy. I'm hoping not to spend too much this weekend. I have some money left over in my account which will either get shuffled into savings/op if it is still there next week. Or it is possible we will start fencing the last side of our field this weekend, which will require a few posts to be purchased and that will gobble that up.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 28th Aug 17, 7:54 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Another day of weekend to go, not sure what we have planned yet for today.

I've very very nearly finished the end of year accounts. That will definitely be completed by today.

We took both dogs up the field to clear and fence a small area that needed to be done for them to be moved into the other side. A couple hours mooching up there and lying in the shade meant they are both worn out (big dog had a walk in the morning too). Horses are now on lots of grass so should be able to hold off buying hay for a few more weeks. Also had enough fencing to complete that little bit without needing to buy more.

We need to load the rubbish to take to the tip, although will probably not actually take it until in the week.

We popped up to the local pub last night for a drink after finishing in the field, mainly as we need to train the pup to be left at home. We are going out in the week for a meal for DD1's birthday so need to check he settled ok. We've already given her money to get her car fixed so just need to get a card.

I forgot to mention DD1 has been wanting a dishwasher ever since she moved out 4.5 years ago. We were all planning to club together for her birthday, but the car needed fixing so that was the end of that. However in our new area local fb selling pages I found one for £25, so checked with her to see if she could spare £25 and she could, so now she has a dishwasher. Now on another local site (Nextdoor) hubby found a free Bosch fridge freezer that might be suitable for her. That was the next thing she was saving up for.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 2nd Sep 17, 8:30 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    That's another week gone.

DD2 now has a car so is back on the road again. I'm very proud that she wrote down a budget of what she had coming in and going out to work out what she could afford.

Lovely meal for DD1s birthday at our local, with DD1 and DGS stopping over for the night. Lots of laughter all round.

End of year business accounts completed and handed over to accountants, along with vat return completed.

There were no pennies left at the end of the month as I stocked up on horse bedding last weekend. The farrier came yesterday too. So quite an expensive few days, but all budgeted for.

I want to try and get most of the money shuffling done today, water bill to pay, travel expenses claimed etc along with some odd jobs to catch up with things around the house and field. There is always so much to do!
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 2nd Sep 17, 9:38 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 788 Thanks
    michelle09
    Wow, it's amazing the deals you can find if you're happy to look! Is the new dishwasher working well?
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 3rd Sep 17, 7:20 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thanks Michelle, it must be working well as I'm sure if it wasn't DD1 would be telling us!

Lots ticked off my list yesterday, mostly stuff around the house. I did log in to my mortgage for the first time - currently at 231907.30. You can only see the balance though, but that's ok. It will go back over 232 at some point this month due to the daily interest.

All travel expenses paid for the past couple months and water bill payee set up on bills account and bill paid. I did consider phoning to set up monthly DD but as our bills account sits with money in it due to yearly dividends I think just paying it quarterly will be fine, plus no money sitting with the water company.

Registered the horses with a new vets in the area we are in now, my farrier recommended this one and told me you could do it online, brilliant!

Other mse activities were to check possible switches for when the energy collective ends next month and a few photos of items to 3bay.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 9th Sep 17, 7:05 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    That's another week gone by in a blur, very busy with work still so not much time to fit much else in.

These past couple of weeks I've been getting a lot of extra steps in by walking our big dog before starting work, I may have to get a new flashing collar soon though as it is getting lighter later. I need to be able to see where he is when it is dark!

With the wetter weather coming in I am thinking about what boots will be needed. I nearly bought a new pair for work/social but I think my old pair can be resurrected if they are reheeled. I'm having trouble finding an independent out this way though, so I have still not got it done. Still no spends this year on clothes or shoes.

Shopping has been delivered this week, I didn't get chance to meal plan before ordering it so I should look at getting that done today and meal planning around what I've bought.
    We had chicken casserole in the sc in the week, it is definitely chicken casserole weather at the moment!

Also I need to get some more dog food this weekend, little pupster is eating the same amount as big dog
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 9th Sep 17, 2:35 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 788 Thanks
    michelle09
    I have decided size clearly doesn't come into it with pet appetites! My brother's cat is more than twice the weight of ours and he talks about "feeding cats half a pouch of food in the morning and cleaning the leftovers in the evening." My cat has a whole pouch and scoffs the lot in ten minutes. Licks the bowl clean! Least she likes Asda own brand food.

Definitely cold weather food coming up!
    • greent
    • By greent 9th Sep 17, 3:02 PM
    • 6,212 Posts
    • 62,954 Thanks
    greent
    Is your brother's cat perhaps eating elsewhere as well..?
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4151/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1152.39/£500 PAYDOX17 £11333/£10k Decluttered 1552/2017 items
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Sep 17, 9:52 PM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 8,557 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Another one here digging out boots to be reheeled by fab independent shoe repairer opposite the station. The chains overcharge and do not do the job as well imho.

Enjoy your weekend
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=5,500
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 10th Sep 17, 7:24 AM
    • 368 Posts
    • 1,331 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Sounds like a busy week ETE, glad your pup is settling well
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 10th Sep 17, 8:03 AM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 26,034 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Is there a place at Sainsbugs for reheeling?
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 10th Sep 17, 2:41 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Lots of lovely visitors to my diary, thank you for stopping by

I do believe there is a big chain at the local Te$co SHS, I just would prefer to use an independent if possible and I'm quite surprised that there doesn't seem to be one in the local market town. Maybe a job for next weekend, or maybe I could get there during a lunch break....now there's an idea!

Life does seem very busy at the moment BusyMee, I thought it would be less busy after we moved and got settled but maybe it's just the type of people we are. Of course a new puppy doesn't help - especially when eating us out of house and home! He is a growing lad, that's what I'm putting it down to,

A busy weekend too, meal plan completed. I feel much more organised now. Some washing shuffling has happened but I may need to get one of those super heated airers. Lots of old wire fence to the tip. Tack room decluttered a bit more. Blackberries picked and food taken with us today whilst out with big dog along with pulled pork in the sc for when we get back.

Training organised for pupster to start in a couple weeks, but not paid for yet. Two nights a week, that should keep us out of mischief

Lots of spends today though at dog event, more puppy paraphernalia, leads, collar, treats for training and a bigger bowl! Also flashing collar for big dog for our early morning walks. I need to try and keep my purse closed for a few days now!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,075Posts Today

8,567Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin