Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    • 1,162Posts
    • 6,237Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Time to get serious
    • 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    Time to get serious 26th Jan 16 at 7:50 PM
    Hello Everyone

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now. There have been many mentions that a diary has helped many of you with your goals, so I'm here to join in and knuckle down.

My oustanding mortgage is very small, that is not the real challenge!

This year the mortgage will be gone, however we are really keen to move.

Getting a mortgage for the type of house we want will be difficult, so the plan is to save as much as possible. It doesn't help that I am very impatient!!

The initial focus is to clear the current mortgage and reduce the outgoings. On the 1st January it was £9400 and I was hoping to have it paid off by the end of the year. It is currently at £3900

So far I have claimed credit back from energy suppliers, claimed outstanding expenses from the business and sent off scrap gold. Ate from the mealplan, there was lots of food left over from Christmas and used the nectar points at $ainsburys and T3sco points for food, claimed the cashback sitting in T0pCashback, scoured all the accounts to shuffle bits into the mortgage and bought virtually nothing all month (not sustainable I know!!).

Off to hunt for the next financial area of focus....
Page 35
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 15th Jul 17, 8:43 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,237 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    A quick update before we head out for an early ride. Absolutely nothing crossed off my to do list yet!

Both refund cheques have arrived, so I need to work out where I can pay these in as I have no idea where the nearest banks are.

Bedroom furniture has arrived from SIL and the wardrobe is now switched over and looks so much better. Drawers are in the garage so that will be a job for later. Hubby checked how much she wanted and she said nothing as we are taking the other bits to the tip for her in our 4x4 and apparently the drawers were Hubby's anyway, which he didn't realise!

Right, better get the washing on the line before we go.
    • try harder
    • By try harder 15th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    • 528 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    try harder
    Morning EatingTheElephant hope you had a good ride and the weathers nice for you ,one of my daughters went on a hack today so im glad its not raining although it isnt sunny but it is warm .How many horses do you have ?
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 15th Jul 17, 11:32 AM
    • 2,281 Posts
    • 10,616 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Have a check whether you can pay check in at your post office. I can for First Direct, so im sure M&S and HSBC can.
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2023... 33//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £35,448.08
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £100,551.94 // Avg Daily Interest £4.52
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 56.74% of £41,000
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 15th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,237 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    That's a good idea SJ, I will check that out. Although sadly no post office in our village either so it will need a trip to the next town anyway, just need to organise it to fit in with jobs.

Hope your daughter enjoyed her hack tryharder, ours was lovely. The area we are in now is so beautiful. We have six in total, 4 big ones (one is retired) and 2 small ponies, one we will keep for our grandson and the other we will be selling at some point. Not very much pony walking is happening at the moment, I need to get more organised! Both hubby and I ride and both DDs can ride but haven't for years, they have both mentioned recently about getting back on again though.

Quick cup of tea and some lunch and I *may* get some things done off my list then. At least I'm not snoring like the dog, so there is hope!
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 15th Jul 17, 6:13 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,237 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    So lots of admin work completed

Lots of money shuffled around and around. Bills account has enough to cover next month's bills

Mortgage balance obtained (233,469.50) and a £400 OP sent over (bills account had a surplus). First OP on this mortgage
    • greent
    • By greent 15th Jul 17, 10:34 PM
    • 6,515 Posts
    • 65,744 Thanks
    greent
    Mortgage balance obtained (233,469.50) and a £400 OP sent over (bills account had a surplus). First OP on this mortgage
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Yeay - great start!
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1445.57/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 16th Jul 17, 9:02 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,237 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thanks greent, it was a bit naughty though as we need to save for the extension first! I'm afraid I got a bit carried away with all the shuffling I was doing.

Maybe I will split any surplus 75% savings, 25% OP. I definitely want to focus on some more life experiences now we have achieved the big goal of our own field. Not really sure what yet though, but my brain is working overtime thinking of lots of ideas!

Meal plan is looking good with meals left over, could do with checking and redoing it to run into next month.

Out for family lunch today as it is neice's birthday, they are coming over early to take our nephews down to the river by our cottage.
    Then grandson wants to go and see the chickens and collect the eggs after lunch.

We've invited some friends over to stay at the start of next month. I need to make more of an effort at meeting up with friends more too.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 18th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,237 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Everything is still looking on target for having some surplus at the end of the month.

I'm currently working on the meal plan and have started to add items for a shop coming Thursday. Apart from this, I have dentist next week but everything else should be taken care of.

Ive had a letter about my credit card. They are going to cancel it if I don't use it soon. I haven't used it for years, so I can see why they are going to cancel it. It is nice to feel it is there for emergencies though. I think I may use it for the shopping this week, although I also think I might be better off getting a reward CC and making something from using it for the food shopping. I also noticed my Clearscore had gone down slightly and there is now 1 negative for not having an active CC. Question is whether to keep my existing one active as well as a reward one, or to let it carry on being deactivated.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 18th Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I have a non reward cc which is linked to my amaz_n account so it gets regular use. We really do need to switch to a reward one, but the only income I currently have is £82.00 child benefit, so don't think they'd give me one and hubby uses his for business expenses only.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 19th Jul 17, 7:42 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,237 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thanks for your thoughts Wish. I'm still undecided!

Maybe I'll just take another day to ponder.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 20th Jul 17, 7:39 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,237 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Last night I was updating the online shopping order. After deciding I would use the 'about to be cancelled' CC to keep it alive I came upon a bit of a stumbling block. It took a good while to find the card as I haven't used it for years. When I did find the card, the expiry date had passed.

Good job we didn't need it when we moved house!

So I will wait until next month and then apply for a reward one instead.

I'm also getting excited about month end coming up and doing the money shuffle. After a couple of tight months following the house move I feel like we are just about back on an even keel.

Also it is business year end, so we can take some money out of the business account to pay off the OD etc in just over a weeks time
    • try harder
    • By try harder 20th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    • 528 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    try harder
    Thank you she did enjoy her hack and yesterday she went to Holkham to watch the Household Cavalry on the beach which she thoroughly enjoyed .
    Good to hear that you are getting back onto an even keel now moneywise.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 22nd Jul 17, 8:14 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,237 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Another weekend rolls around again. We were out last night catching up with a group of old friends, not a late one but I imagine I will be flagging a bit later.

We have the grandson over for a sleepover tonight, so that will limit the amount that will get done this weekend! Not sure yet what we will be doing but hoping for a break in the bad weather to be able to get him out to let off steam.

More work is coming in from the big contract that is still rumbling on, so this will keep the business account healthy.
    The challenge to not buy any clothes this year is still going strong, mainly I've just been avoiding looking at any shopping sites/shops!

Other mse news is we have all 4 chickens laying now, 4 eggs a day
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 22nd Jul 17, 9:28 AM
    • 902 Posts
    • 4,420 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Our CC buying has been successful whist shuffling cash aside, i'm thinking of getting a reward card. I should probably pay off the balance first mind you
    Mortgage Feb '13 £200000, end 2038. Aiming for before March 2025 (crunched to 2034)
    January 16 £182800 : minimum £360 OP but needs to be £600 to achieve 2025
    Current mortgage £158200
    h@lifax CC £4300 0% until May 2018.. will pay minimum for now, slow stooze
    CC daughter gift and holiday spends £2200
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 22nd Jul 17, 8:56 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,237 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Lego to the rescue!

The plan was to use Ll0yds cinema vouchers to entertain DGS this afternoon. He's not been before and we were not sure if he would sit still for a film in the cinema, so figured that using the vouchers meant we wouldn't be too upset if he couldn't manage it.

Unfortunately there was a little accident, of the wet variety, walking to the cinema so we headed back home and he has been happy with the lego ever since. DD brought it round the other day as apparently Sain$ had it on offer.

Still not quite a nsd as we nipped into pets@home for a fluorescent coat for the dog for when we are out riding (a summer weight one!) so he is easily seen by the other road users, also a plug cover for DGS bedroom to stop him playing with the socket. Both safety spends today.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 22nd Jul 17, 10:50 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    What a shame about the pre-cinema accident, still you've got the vouchers for another time.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 23rd Jul 17, 2:19 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Hooray to 4 fresh eggs a day, Yum! That's going to save a few £s I imagine? Do you know how much they cost a month to feed? Is there any other expense? I'll only need 2 a day but may get 4 chickens anyway.
    Live a lot. Love a few. Always paddle your own canoe.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 23rd Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,237 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I'm hoping it will be moneysaving in the long term EC, but I think it will take a couple years to break even with the cost of setting it all up, the run and coop etc. We also bought an automatic door closer so that increased the initial setup cost.

The food only costs a few £ each month, which we get from the same place we get our horse feed and shavings. The shavings we put in the coop doesn't cost much if you get the big horse shavings bale, about £7 and will probably last a year. They have hay in the nest box.

If you get four and find you have too many eggs then you could sell them to cover the feed. I've been asked by loads of people for eggs already but we are still eating all that they are laying. We've just had omelette for lunch. Yum.

There's another fellow elephant on mse who knows a huge amount about chickens and other animals who very kindly posted a few pages back a load of chicken information (eager_elephant), I'm still learning everything, but the girls all seem happy enough with our efforts!
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 23rd Jul 17, 5:03 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 3,726 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    You make it sound very straight forward elephant. I'd like some chickens one day and it's great that you have a market for left overs already.
    July 2012 £139,642 / Dec 2017 £111,214
    EF - £20,156/£25,000
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 25th Jul 17, 7:41 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,237 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you floppy, it has been quite straightforward so far. The hardest part was working out how/where to put the run and making it fox proof.

Still busy, but not much money news to report, apart from I had an idea for my signature whilst out riding yesterday. I had the afternoon off as I had a dentist appointment, so made the most of it and snuck out for a ride after. The dog wore his new reflective coat, which worked really well.

Sundays we have DD1 & DGS for dinner but we had mil over too as she is on her own this week. As it was a roast it stretched quite well. I did have to buy extra desserts though as it was a last minute.

I'm also thinking of cancelling a small life insurance policy I took out years ago. We decided to keep it going until we were straight financially after the move, but they are being really difficult about the fact I got married (11 years ago!) it seems they didn't acknowledge the name change back then and to be honest I could do without the hassle of the hoops they want me to jump through. We do have a larger policy that covers the mortgage and seeing as we will have no other debt after this month I think it will be easier just to cancel it. It won't make a huge difference though as it's only £6 a month.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,740Posts Today

6,110Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin