Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    • 1,105Posts
    • 5,963Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Time to get serious
    • 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    Time to get serious 26th Jan 16 at 7:50 PM
    Hello Everyone

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now. There have been many mentions that a diary has helped many of you with your goals, so I'm here to join in and knuckle down.

My oustanding mortgage is very small, that is not the real challenge!

This year the mortgage will be gone, however we are really keen to move.

Getting a mortgage for the type of house we want will be difficult, so the plan is to save as much as possible. It doesn't help that I am very impatient!!

The initial focus is to clear the current mortgage and reduce the outgoings. On the 1st January it was £9400 and I was hoping to have it paid off by the end of the year. It is currently at £3900

So far I have claimed credit back from energy suppliers, claimed outstanding expenses from the business and sent off scrap gold. Ate from the mealplan, there was lots of food left over from Christmas and used the nectar points at $ainsburys and T3sco points for food, claimed the cashback sitting in T0pCashback, scoured all the accounts to shuffle bits into the mortgage and bought virtually nothing all month (not sustainable I know!!).

Off to hunt for the next financial area of focus....
Page 34
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 2nd Jul 17, 7:06 AM
    • 368 Posts
    • 1,331 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Well done on making it through June, that is no mean feat when you have just moved house

to all the birthdays in July - we have a real run on birthdays through August/September/October. I always feel like we just get those out of the way and then it is Christmas.

I am really jealous of your chickens and lovely fresh eggs.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 2nd Jul 17, 7:38 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you KarmaCat and BusyMee, the eggs were wonderful.

We had a lovely day out at the local vineyard yesterday, I thought we would only be there a couple hours but we ended up getting back about 5. Not particularly cheap but not as expensive as I thought it would be.

The ironing and dog was walked before setting off, along with a few pa surveys. I'd not had any for ages so it was a pleasant surprise to have some to do.
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 2nd Jul 17, 9:40 AM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 10,062 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Do you fancy throwing some of those eggs my way to go with my Sunday sausages??
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2023... 30//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £32,077.72
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £103,922.28 // Avg Daily Interest £4.67
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 47.86% of £41,000
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 2nd Jul 17, 1:20 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant

Of course! Yum

Another one just collected today, I'm hoping the others will start laying soon.

Lovely walk around the reservoir before doing the horses this morning and a little bit of gardening planned for this afternoon.
    I have a plan to plant squash or pumpkin along the driveway border, which should look awesome at Halloween, plus give us yummy food.
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 4th Jul 17, 7:45 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 788 Thanks
    michelle09
    Your eggs sound brilliant, and your vegetable plans - hope they work out!
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 5th Jul 17, 7:36 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thanks Michelle, I have started thinking more about what I can do with the garden now that we have settled in here. I have lots of ideas but lack of time is always my enemy!

We emptied out and moved some stone planters to a better location and built a garden bench, not sure if that really counts as gardening. We have some large pieces of granite, which I'm sure we could sell but I have no idea how.

DD2 will start paying rent now she has left school. We agreed she could have the summer off and start at the beginning of September. She suggested an amount of £175 which we are happy with, although the CB will stop.

A 3-week meal plan has been completed and stuck to the freezer door, with the shopping being delivered tonight. This makes me feel like I am organised

The bedroom patch from where the previous owners had there TV has been painted and blends in nicely and I walked to the shop at lunchtime on Monday to get hubby's birthday card for tomorrow.
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 5th Jul 17, 8:02 AM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 10,062 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    ETE - can't believe you stopped at 999 posts... You need to make you 1,000 post ground breaking...!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2023... 30//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £32,077.72
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 5th Jul 17, 8:15 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    This is the reason I haven't commented on any diaries this morning! I wanted the 1000th post to be in my own diary, so a big thank you as you have now given me a real reason to write my 1000th post and solved my dilemma

I can't believe I've been wittering on that much actually, here's to next 1000
    • greent
    • By greent 5th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • 6,210 Posts
    • 62,933 Thanks
    greent
    Congrats on reaching 1000 posts, ETE! - and love how life is sounding for you right now
    xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4151/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1152.39/£500 PAYDOX17 £11333/£10k Decluttered 1552/2017 items
    • try harder
    • By try harder 5th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 1,501 Thanks
    try harder
    So pleased to hear everything is going so well ,we had chickens a few years back we had a couple of hundred at one time of rare breeds they were beautiful but such hard work for my husband as we kept them at a friends around 10 miles away so there was a lot of travelling involved every day so decided to give it up but maybe one day if we ever bought a house with a bigger garden we could have just a few ,they are lovely .
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 8th Jul 17, 7:16 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you greent, life is indeed wonderful

That's a lot of chickens tryharder! What did you do with all the eggs? We are still only getting one a day, the other three still haven't started laying yet. We have enough for weekend breakfasts though.

Our fruit trees that are in pots have been collected from our old house this week, so need to plan where they will go now. Not that we get any fruit from them, but maybe one day.

As usual a long list of things I'd like to get done this weekend and we are out to celebrate hubby's birthday tonight. We are trying somewhere new, so I'm hoping it will be good.
    • try harder
    • By try harder 8th Jul 17, 10:09 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 1,501 Thanks
    try harder
    Im afraid apart from a few chicks we sold all the eggs mostly on ebay as a business with lots of wonderful feedback from all the buyers who were thrilled with their beautiful chickens ,we had so many rare breeds my husband was obsessed with them but it was such hard work for him but he did it for around five years.
    ha
    Hope you have a lovely evening out tonight .
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 8th Jul 17, 11:39 AM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 26,034 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Have a great evening!
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 8th Jul 17, 1:43 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    That's lovely tryharder to have had a business where you were appreciated.

Thank you both, I'm really looking forward to going out tonight.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 9th Jul 17, 8:14 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I was soooooo lazy yesterday and didn't actually get anything crossed off my list!

We managed to wear the dog out though, went exploring along some bridlepaths with the horses for a couple hours. Mapped it out to be 7.5miles, so I'm not surprised he is tired. My back is aching a bit today too.

A lovely meal out at a village pub just along from our field last night, we will definitely be eating there again.

I really need to start shuffling some money between the business account and bills account (travel/expenses etc) so there is enough for August.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Jul 17, 10:21 AM
    • 27,745 Posts
    • 151,702 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Glad you're having such a lovely weekend
    Retired August 2016
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 11th Jul 17, 7:41 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Well I have managed to cross a few things off my list, but still have the money shuffling to replenish the bills account at the very top of the list.

Dog food supplies have been ordered and are coming Friday. A couple of dog events entered for next month and a couple bits for the stables/chickens also purchased over the weekend.

Funds are looking ok at the moment! I do have dentist and one more food shop to do later in the month. Hopefully not too much else to spend out for this month now.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 13th Jul 17, 7:43 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I'm not sure where this week has gone again. I've worked out how much money needs shuffling and created the paperwork, but not actually done the shuffling into the bills account.

We are getting some new to us wardrobes from sil this weekend as she is having all her bedroom furniture replaced. We lost one wardrobe during the move and the wardrobe and drawers that are left don't really fit the look of this house. Plus they are 20 odd years old so I do feel I have had my money's worth from then. I'm not sure what she wants for them as they are quite old, but hopefully they will last a couple of years until we have had the extension done.

Hubby has suggested a week off in September, as the end of our financial year is end of July. I don't need my arm twisting! The only time off we've had were for moving and last Christmas which was spent decorating.
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 13th Jul 17, 7:54 AM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 10,062 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    We always do our best to have time off at the end of blocks/sections of the year. Christmas is always 2 weeks for Mrs SJ, and i manage to squeeze another week (or take days off in the early part of Dec to be part time for the month). We then aim for Easter, end of school and end of school hols. Its tough for me to get school holidays off, so we have abroad hols in either Oct or May.

We're always conscious that with our jobs sometimes we can go a week and only see each other for an hour a day 9.30-10.30pm! SO we effectively 'buy' time. As for decorating don't mention it in our house (i've gotten away with it so far this year...!)
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 13th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Your secret is safe with me SJ!

Holiday plans all cleared with big contract customer for a week in September, I'm really looking forward to it.

Came home to two letters with refunds from old utility/bb suppliers. One is a cheque, the other will send a cheque in 10 days. Not cheques again! I feel it is a cunning plan by these companies. How many people will not be bothered to make a trip to pay in these cheques? Especially as one is only £6 odd. Well I will be making the effort, I am a MFW after all

So effectively £30ish in the post today AND 2 eggs from the hens, now that's more like it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,695Posts Today

5,317Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin