Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    • 1,104Posts
    • 5,948Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Time to get serious
    • 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    Time to get serious 26th Jan 16 at 7:50 PM
    Hello Everyone

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now. There have been many mentions that a diary has helped many of you with your goals, so I'm here to join in and knuckle down.

My oustanding mortgage is very small, that is not the real challenge!

This year the mortgage will be gone, however we are really keen to move.

Getting a mortgage for the type of house we want will be difficult, so the plan is to save as much as possible. It doesn't help that I am very impatient!!

The initial focus is to clear the current mortgage and reduce the outgoings. On the 1st January it was £9400 and I was hoping to have it paid off by the end of the year. It is currently at £3900

So far I have claimed credit back from energy suppliers, claimed outstanding expenses from the business and sent off scrap gold. Ate from the mealplan, there was lots of food left over from Christmas and used the nectar points at $ainsburys and T3sco points for food, claimed the cashback sitting in T0pCashback, scoured all the accounts to shuffle bits into the mortgage and bought virtually nothing all month (not sustainable I know!!).

Off to hunt for the next financial area of focus....
Page 33
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 18th Jun 17, 5:00 PM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    To clean the trough we tie the arm of the ballc*ck up a day before we want to clean it, so it doesn't fill up completely and ends up about half full, then clean it. Using baler twine of course! If it's tied up it doesn't drop and open the water feed.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 18th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 26,001 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Clever. And funny that MSE won't let you type b a l l c o c k!
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 20th Jun 17, 7:49 AM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Still plodding away here, trying to get to the end of the month, but it's squeaky tight.
    No money spent Sunday or yesterday, but I don't think I can get away with not going shopping today for a few bits. It does help that I don't like shopping, so actively avoid the shops if I can!
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 20th Jun 17, 8:00 AM
    • 2,198 Posts
    • 10,043 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    I with you on the dislike of shopping! I avoid at all costs as well!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2023... 30//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £32,077.72
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £103,922.28 // Avg Daily Interest £4.67
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 47.86% of £41,000
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 20th Jun 17, 8:12 AM
    • 777 Posts
    • 4,663 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    It is annoying when you have to go shopping. Something I used to enjoy doing when I was younger spending my money on absolutely nothing of value. And now I am conditioned to dislike shopping and the idea of spending long periods in any shopping centre or supermarket fills me with dread.

When did it all change? I'm not sure it's for the better. I feel there should be some balance.

Good luck with the shopping trip. I'll be rooting for you from the sides!
    Striving to be mortgage free.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 21st Jun 17, 6:42 AM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I managed to dodge the shopping again, but only because we needed so much I ended up doing an online order to come today.

I do wonder if I spend more money by avoiding the shops, as I miss out on spotting bargains, I think it does mean less unwanted purchases though.

We've had a few late nights now as we are waiting until about 8pm to walk the dog and check on the horses. Came home just before 10 last night, it really didn't feel that late as it was so warm and still light.
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 21st Jun 17, 3:55 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 10,050 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    I figure the peace of mind of not having to deal with the shops is worth the potential extra we pay by not spotting bargains in-store.

We also use mysupermarket which does price comparison/deal-spotting as well, though I've found it can be a bit annoying if you're booking delivery a ways out as the bargains expire by then (would be true regardless of using that site, though, to be fair!).
    MFW: Dec '13 £197,100 / Dec '14 £180,691 / Dec '15 £161,669 / Dec '16 £119,669 / Sept '17 ££107,383
    Payment 44/84 / 2017 MFW #56: £12,285/£20,000 61% / MFiT-T4 #15: £52,116/£90,000 57%
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 21st Jun 17, 8:13 PM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I do like mysupermarket too, but haven't used it for a while.
    The food has arrived, so should keep us going a while.

I've bought a plastic jug for using water from the water butts, but I'm after ideas.
    All surface water goes into butts, so I think we can make use of it for things like rinsing out cans before they go in the recycling box. How does everyone else use water from their butts? We've not had them before.

The business banking has also been done tonight, whilst hubby has been busy creating a chicken run up the field. It's getting there now and looks great. He also won a coop on ebae with a snipe, so a bit of a bargain compared to the same ones on with a buy it now. I hope it's a good one. I've got customers lining up already for eggs and we haven't actually got the chickens yet!
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 21st Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 4,663 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    That's how all the best businesses work. Create the demand and then limit the product on release to make it exclusive!

On a winner there!
    Striving to be mortgage free.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 24th Jun 17, 7:29 AM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    A busy weekend planned. Hopefully the home for the chickens will be finished today and we can go and choose some, the place we are getting them from isn't open tomorrow if we don't manage to finish it today.

I found a box of clothes that I hadn't unpacked after moving. Not quite sure how that happened. I thought my wardrobe was looking roomy but had put it down to my decluttering skills! The box has been unpacked and now the wardrobe is quite full again.

I'm hoping that there is some paint in the garage to match our bedroom walls, as there is a patch where the previous owners took the TV off the wall that is a different colour. I'd like to try and touch that up too.

This week the waste disposal turned up for the kitchen, which hubby has now fitted. This wasn't something we planned to do so soon, but after having one in our last house for years we found we really missed having one.
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 24th Jun 17, 7:39 AM
    • 368 Posts
    • 1,330 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Chickens - how exciting ! It sounds as if you are really getting settled in your new home now x
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 24th Jun 17, 7:46 AM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Our grandson is even more excited than we are! He hasn't stopped going on about them all week to everyone he has seen after he 'helped' starting the build of the run last weekend.

We absolutely love it here BusyMee.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 25th Jun 17, 6:35 AM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    We have chickens! Finished the run yesterday - took longer than anticipated as most things do, then went to pick them out in the afternoon.

Not much else done, I have found the paint for the bedroom and it has made it into the house ready to use, but that may have to wait until next weekend now. Also decluttered some stuff from the tack room to clear a bit of space. Nothing of value unfortunately, so no extra pennies there.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 25th Jun 17, 5:56 PM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Got up early to let the chickens out and went for a longer ride, got a bit lost but found our way back ok.

We have our first egg already! Clever girls

Need to make sure I transfer some items from the fridge to the freezer today as well. I'm so much better at reducing the amount of food we waste now. It does need keeping an eye on though, as it is too easy to let use by dates pass by unnoticed.
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 26th Jun 17, 10:02 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 3,523 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    I really like the sound of your stables! And I respect your restraint to keep saving first before OPing.
    MFW July 2012 £139,642 /
    Sept 2017 £112,174
    • Elephantchunks
    • By Elephantchunks 26th Jun 17, 11:26 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    Elephantchunks
    Hi Elephant. It must be so exciting choosing chickens, I can't wait until we can! What sort did you get? Hope you enjoyed eating the first egg?
    I'm not good with remembering to eat food from the fridge before the date so now when we receive the shopping we put everything that can be frozen into the freezer straight away. That said, I'm not good at remembering to defrost things the night before either so I'm still learning what works for us and we're all different.
    August Monthly Challenge: Magic up £89.65/£164.
    August £100 Weekly Challenge: Week 2 £110/£100
    August £100 Weekly Challenge: Week 1 £99.91/£100

Save before we move: End of July £2180/£3010
    Save before we move: End of June £1447/£2380
    Save before we move: End of May £975/£2380
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 27th Jun 17, 6:54 AM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thanks Floppy, it's so great to finally have our own.

Elephantchunks, we got 2 speckled golds, an amber link and a bovans nera. We were going to get 3 then when we got there hubby said, let's get 4, I can't take him anywhere

The first egg was eaten yesterday by hubby and it was a double yolker
    There was another one in the nest box last night too. We were told 2-3 weeks before they would start laying, however the little amber link has other ideas and has started producing already.

I did have a bit of a fail on the fridge sorting, I was a day too late and hadn't spotted a pack of mince that I was planning to use for cottage pie, although everything else got frozen. I was quite annoyed with myself really. We gave it to the dog yesterday (he is raw fed) so I didn't feel as if the whole cost was a waste, although he might expect that grade of mince from now on!
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 30th Jun 17, 6:57 AM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Phew made it to the end of the month. Sadly there is no money left over to throw at anything but at least we have found the money for everything this month and there is still food in the house.

The bills money for this month is already waiting to fly out the account and within a few days I should have enough back in there for August bills. In August I can then hopefully refill it to cover a few months ahead (our salary doesn't cover our bills so it has to come from dividends once or twice a year).

I received the yearly interest statement for the vantage account and had momentarily forgotten the fact I could have money in there at a high interest rate! So my plan is to shuffle any little bits I get into there now that the bills account looks like it will be stable again come August. I feel like I keep changing my mind a lot at the moment!

In other news 4 eggs this week
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 1st Jul 17, 6:56 AM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 5,948 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    July here we come!

This month is looking busy and I'm going to try and get through it unscathed. We have FIVE family birthdays in July, including hubby's. It's looking like there is something in the calendar every weekend, starting with a lunch out today at a local vineyard.

DD2 borrowed some money whilst she was away last week and has paid it back already (without being reminded!) so that will be shuffled over to the savings pot.

A rough meal plan has been scribbled on the fridge to get us to next Thursday, when I plan to next order food. Although thinking about it Thursday is hubby's birthday (must get a card), so maybe I'll do it for Wednesday.

Im looking forward to our own chicken eggs for breakfast today! Hope everyone has a great weekend
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 1st Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 27,728 Posts
    • 151,521 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Your own chicken eggs! Brilliant hope you have a lovely weekend off the back of them
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

401Posts Today

3,946Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin