Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    • 1,105Posts
    • 5,963Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Time to get serious
    • 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    Time to get serious 26th Jan 16 at 7:50 PM
    Hello Everyone

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now. There have been many mentions that a diary has helped many of you with your goals, so I'm here to join in and knuckle down.

My oustanding mortgage is very small, that is not the real challenge!

This year the mortgage will be gone, however we are really keen to move.

Getting a mortgage for the type of house we want will be difficult, so the plan is to save as much as possible. It doesn't help that I am very impatient!!

The initial focus is to clear the current mortgage and reduce the outgoings. On the 1st January it was £9400 and I was hoping to have it paid off by the end of the year. It is currently at £3900

So far I have claimed credit back from energy suppliers, claimed outstanding expenses from the business and sent off scrap gold. Ate from the mealplan, there was lots of food left over from Christmas and used the nectar points at $ainsburys and T3sco points for food, claimed the cashback sitting in T0pCashback, scoured all the accounts to shuffle bits into the mortgage and bought virtually nothing all month (not sustainable I know!!).

Off to hunt for the next financial area of focus....
Page 31
    • lippy1923
    • By lippy1923 30th May 17, 6:43 PM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 3,428 Thanks
    lippy1923
    Great thread. I have subscribed
    Total Mortgage OP £17,500
    House Value £250,000 Mortgage £93,703
    Emergency Fund £25,500

• EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 30th May 17, 7:10 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you lippy, great to have you along on the journey
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 30th May 17, 7:11 PM
    • 27,745 Posts
    • 151,683 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Letter has been drafted for termination of lease for old stable yard, so that can go in the post tomorrow and standing order cancelled
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    It's bearing fruit financially now, as well as time saved congratulations!

I haven't actually got much else done, work has been getting in the way again.
    Thats actually the definition of getting things done

I need to walk the dog tonight as he hasn't been out with hubby today for his long walk, only a short one, but hopefully I can book a shopping delivery slot for Friday so we can get some food in the house. Stocks are still quite low after moving.
    It really makes you stop and pay attention to the present day doesn't it, when you have to walk the dog. Lovely!

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 30th May 17, 9:35 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 3,523 Thanks
    FloppyDisk

I haven't actually got much else done, work has been getting in the way again.
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    I find it has a habit of doing that
    MFW July 2012 £139,642 /
    Sept 2017 £112,174
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 3rd Jun 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    This week I've been walking the dog a lot in the evenings, which has been lovely. Finding our way around the new area and cheap

We tried the fish and chip van, which was not bad but quite expensive compared to the shops we used to go to. I think we will use it occasionally.

DD has paid her rent on time, without having to be reminded. Long may this continue!

There seems to be a lot to pay out this week now the new month has started. A big Sains shop arrived yesterday, dog food is needed plus horse rugs are ready to collect after being washed and repaired. We also need a lawnmower of the electrical kind, although I did consider walking a pony home I thought the result might be a bit uneven.

It will settle down again soon, we are still in flux waiting for bills to be switched over and to start coming out for the new house. Anything left after this month will go towards the car expenses that were put on the CC, so I would like to aim for having quite a bit left over. I've not got a figure in mind yet though.

Today I have lots of admin to do and ironing (or plotting time). Then off to the local for a meal to celebrate our wedding anniversary, very kind mil gave us some money so that will pay for the meal.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 3rd Jun 17, 9:03 AM
    • 27,745 Posts
    • 151,683 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Happy Wedding Anniversary

Have some coffee and cake:

Just the two of you
    Retired August 2016
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 3rd Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 26,034 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Pony lawnmowing is Ok if they don't have shoes on.
    • greent
    • By greent 3rd Jun 17, 10:37 AM
    • 6,210 Posts
    • 62,925 Thanks
    greent
    Belated anniversary wishes xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4151/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1152.39/£500 PAYDOX17 £11333/£10k Decluttered 1552/2017 items
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 3rd Jun 17, 1:23 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you for the anniversary wishes, I have sneaked into the shopping the makings of a cream tea for tomorrow, so nearly coffee and cake!

I will be trying the pony mowing at some point, maybe when they are a bit fitter. I'm quite looking forward to it.
    In the meantime lawnmower has been purchased and lawn mown. Rugs collected as well, so very spendy (although money saving in the long run). We also had a lovely breakfast outside by the sea nearby which was lovely. Off to walk the pony, put up some saddle racks and do some thinking exercises with the dog. That should keep us busy for the rest of the day
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 3rd Jun 17, 6:24 PM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 10,051 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    Happy anniversary.

We tried the pony mowing in the past - worked well except for the few plants they found icky.
    MFW: Dec '13 £197,100 / Dec '14 £180,691 / Dec '15 £161,669 / Dec '16 £119,669 / Sept '17 ££107,383
    Payment 44/84 / 2017 MFW #56: £12,285/£20,000 61% / MFiT-T4 #15: £52,116/£90,000 57%
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 4th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thanks hidden, I'm glad I'm in good company with other people that have done pony mowing, most people I know would think I'm mad.

Saddle racks are all up and tack room is starting to take shape. Pony walk done yesterday - it was a bit speedy, I had trouble keeping up. Followed by lovely meal at the local.

Longer horse ride completed today, horses were much more settled. Then creating a place for the muck heap, it's beginning to feel like a proper stable yard now. We've worn the dog out too with the longer ride and then pottering around. It's a miracle! Also picked up some shavings from horse feed place and got Father's Day present for my dad there. My bank account is looking quite sad at the moment but should only have dog food and a few bits to top up our food needed from it for the rest of the month now. There are lots of little bits I would like to get for house/field, but I must resist a little while longer! At least the bills account is looking quite healthy and the business account is too.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 6th Jun 17, 6:55 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    The poor old 4x4 is broke again, at least we managed to get all the moving bits done beforehand. New part ordered already, it's an easy one to fit but I'm wondering how much longer we can keep patching him up.

Dog food has been ordered, a double amount though to fill up his freezer. A small under the counter freezer was left in the house (along with a lot of other stuff) so we are making use of it and it is now the dog's freezer. Should mean we can keep more in and not have to pop to the more expensive shop in between deliveries.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 7th Jun 17, 7:09 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    The past couple nights we have lit the open fire, it's the first time we have had one and I wasn't expecting to need to light it for months yet. It's been wonderful. I know the novelty will probably wear off quite quickly but I'm enjoying it right now.

I'm having trouble entering my G&E meter readings, tried a second time yesterday and it's still not right. Very strange as the supplier app I'm using I never once had a problem with before at the last house. You'd think it would be quite straightforward!

Hopefully I will get there in the end.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 8th Jun 17, 7:32 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Yesterday I paid for the dog food, so apart from some top up food shops I'm hoping to have no more spending from my account this month.

DD1 is trying to get all her bills set up, so I forwarded her the weekly mse email. I hope she picks up some good tips from it.

Hubby collected a big load of logs from our little bit of woodland in our field for the fire. I'm hoping that summer will return soon though!
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 8th Jun 17, 8:27 AM
    • 874 Posts
    • 4,256 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    I've put central heating on for an hour (we do have guests to keep warm)
    Mortgage Feb '13 £200000, end 2038. Aiming for before March 2025 (crunched to 2034)
    January 16 £182800 : minimum £360 OP but needs to be £600 to achieve 2025
    Current mortgage £159800
    h@lifax CC £4500 0% until May 2018.. will pay minimum for now, slow stooze
    xmas, chairs, hoover, computer and holiday [STRIKE}clothes[STRIKE] DD1 cc
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 8th Jun 17, 7:31 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 4,663 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    I love an open fire and use it instead of he central heating when it gets cold occasionally - like this week! The wood is free to burn but the gas costs, so I never feel guilty about this small extravagance. However, I do question why it is so cold in June! My guess is that we all missed summer. It passed us by a couple of weeks ago when we were looking the other way.
    Striving to be mortgage free.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 8th Jun 17, 10:07 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I agree Talullah, where has summer gone? I really do hope that wasn't all we are getting.

The wet weather has meant I haven't been out walking during lunch break, so feeling slightly unhealthy. Although it does mean I managed to fit in setting up the DD for council tax and sorting out the house insurance for rental. Cancelled old b&c and took out new buildings only. They cancelled it from moving out date too, so there is a refund to come which I wasn't expecting

Nearly forgot, I also phoned up to register for online access to the mortgage and got all the details for how I could make OPs, including the sort code and account number for doing online ad hoc payments. I was really impressed with the person as they knew all about it and what could be done - big gold star to mortgage co
    Last edited by EatingTheElephant; 08-06-2017 at 10:12 PM.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 10th Jun 17, 9:16 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 5,963 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Morning everyone, what a dreary day it is looking here.

I've got a lot I want to get done this weekend, so need to get myself moving.

Car passed mot yesterday, which was a relief as 4x4 is awaiting a part still, so it is currently having a well earned break.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 10th Jun 17, 9:32 AM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 26,034 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Good news on the MOT.

I love an open fire so much that since age 26 I have refused to buy a house without one. Novelty hasn't worn off here.
    • try harder
    • By try harder 10th Jun 17, 7:12 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 1,501 Thanks
    try harder
    Yes me too ,i have had my woodburner in the lounge lit a couple of evenings this week who would have believed it as it is so very hot here today .
    Good news about the car glad everything is going so well ,it all sounds lovely .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,766Posts Today

9,021Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin