Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    • 1,152Posts
    • 6,182Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Time to get serious
    • 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    Time to get serious 26th Jan 16 at 7:50 PM
    Hello Everyone

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now. There have been many mentions that a diary has helped many of you with your goals, so I'm here to join in and knuckle down.

My oustanding mortgage is very small, that is not the real challenge!

This year the mortgage will be gone, however we are really keen to move.

Getting a mortgage for the type of house we want will be difficult, so the plan is to save as much as possible. It doesn't help that I am very impatient!!

The initial focus is to clear the current mortgage and reduce the outgoings. On the 1st January it was £9400 and I was hoping to have it paid off by the end of the year. It is currently at £3900

So far I have claimed credit back from energy suppliers, claimed outstanding expenses from the business and sent off scrap gold. Ate from the mealplan, there was lots of food left over from Christmas and used the nectar points at $ainsburys and T3sco points for food, claimed the cashback sitting in T0pCashback, scoured all the accounts to shuffle bits into the mortgage and bought virtually nothing all month (not sustainable I know!!).

Off to hunt for the next financial area of focus....
Page 29
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 14th May 17, 9:50 AM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 27,512 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    May I ask the removal company?

I adore them when they go in a new place. I could watch them for hours.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 15th May 17, 6:29 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you everyone for your lovely comments, unpacking is going well!

BB should be installed today, first job will be to change address on everything. After the horses have been moved, of course.

SHS it will be great watching them, there is loads of grass so they will have a field day when first unloaded! I will pm you details.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th May 17, 10:39 AM
    • 28,070 Posts
    • 154,326 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Congratulations! I'm so glad it went well. And what a very good idea to go to the pub
    Retired August 2016
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 16th May 17, 6:35 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    The horses were all moved successfully yesterday, with only one being a little bit naughty.

I'm very glad we decided to use the local transport company. They were lovely and very knowledgable. It took just over 5 hours and actually ended up costing less than if we had hired a box, with the added advantage of two extra pairs of hands. I hadn't expected it to be cheaper so that was an added bonus!

Today we are going to move all the large items to the new yard, tack, rug cabinets, wheelbarrows etc so it will be another tiring day. We will also be passing the local tip so might as well take a load of stuff from the garage (they left a lot of stuff here).

Address changes have been started, so hopefully household bills will start to fall into place so we know where we are with money.

Spends today will be on coat hooks, so we can start to hang our coats up, but hopefully not a lot else.
    • greent
    • By greent 16th May 17, 4:59 PM
    • 6,437 Posts
    • 64,950 Thanks
    greent
    Glad it has all gone (relatively) smoothly - may you create many happy memories in your new home
    x
    Last edited by greent; 19-05-2017 at 9:04 PM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5034/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1226.02/£500 PAYDOX17 £11937/£10k Decluttered 1760/2017 items
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 16th May 17, 8:47 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 27,512 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Which neddy was naughty? How is doggle finding the move?
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 17th May 17, 6:33 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you greent, it feels like home already.

Would you believe it was hubby's IDxTB that was naughty, the sensible old horse! All three crazy TBs walked in just fine, as did the ponies. She has always been trouble to load though.

Doggle is loving all the new sniffs and marking everywhere outside as his!

We were on the go again all day yesterday, however did spend more than anticipated. My mum is coming up for a few days so needed to get a sofa bed for the spare room. I did go through TCB, so will get a small bit back.

I cancelled BB at our old house, V1rgin don't make it easy as the only way you can do it is by phone. Although I was quite impressed that as DD1 will be going with them, they will give us £50 credit each as a referral bonus.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 18th May 17, 8:02 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    About 95% unpacked at home now and a few more things the address has been changed on. I'm so glad we stopped work this week as it has been non-stop.

Today we have family coming over for a pub lunch, so will take the dog for a long walk first. Hopefully then I can do a bit more address change admin this afternoon and put xmas decs etc in the loft.

A washing line pole has had to be ordered as there is nothing in the garden to hang washing on, not sure how the last people here dried clothes.

Over the next couple of days we are moving DD into our old house and we still have a lot of big items to move to the new stable yard. Did I really think we would get chance to relax after we had moved?! Maybe next week...
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 19th May 17, 8:36 AM
    • 2,262 Posts
    • 10,228 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    95% unpacked after a week is great progress - I think we stayed at 50% for years.

Good luck with the rest of the moving, hope it all goes smoothly.
    MFW: Dec '13 £197,100 / Dec '14 £180,691 / Dec '15 £161,669 / Dec '16 £119,669 / Nov '17 £105,759
    2017 MFW #56: £13,909/£15,000 92% / MFiT-T4 #15: £53,740/£90,000 59%
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th May 17, 8:40 AM
    • 28,070 Posts
    • 154,326 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I agree with hiddenshadow, 95% is brilliant at this stage! The ornaments I'm uncovering have remained (very) carefully wrapped since I moved here in 2010 and actually, there are a few I uncovered that I could really feel the joy sparking, it was nice.
    Retired August 2016
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 19th May 17, 10:26 AM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 27,512 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    95 per cent unpacked probably means you have only moved useful/wanted stuff in so you must have dedcluttered really well.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 19th May 17, 3:24 PM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Well today didn't go as planned, as I got called in to do some work due to an emergency. Whilst I was out hubby did loads though, coat hooks are up, dining table is up, there are only 4 more boxes to unpack! We also had to fit in an emergency repair of 4x4, he is working hard at the moment carrying things here, there and everywhere and started to overheat. We really need to put some pennies back for a replacement but if he could just hold on another 12 months I would really really appreciate it! He is 22 now though so getting on a bit.

Found a lovely walk yesterday, only around the corner there is a river walk with a tree swing and fields to walk through. I also love the fact I can sit on the sofa and see trees outside. This really is the lifestyle change we have worked towards for years taking shape.

The horses are busy munching the grass in their new field and getting used to coming into the new stables. We will probably wait until next weekend to take them out riding to give them chance to settle a bit more.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 19th May 17, 3:52 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 27,512 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Sounds heavenly.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 20th May 17, 6:17 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    We really do feel very lucky, it certainly is heavenly.

A lovely evening yesterday with family round and lots of laughs and catching up.

Today we are off out for the day as it is DGS 4th birthday. We are getting an annual pass for the nearby theme park, he has far too much 'stuff', although we have bought an action figure for him to unwrap as I don't think he will grasp the concept of an annual pass!

The plan is to take a packed lunch, but we are low on supplies. I'm hoping the local shop does bread, although mum popped in there yesterday evening and said they weren't very well stocked. I've heard from a few people that they are struggling, so I'm going to try to support the local shop if I can.
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 20th May 17, 8:08 AM
    • 427 Posts
    • 1,664 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    You are not lucky ETE, you didn't win the money for your new house in the lottery ! You worked hard and have been sensible with your money which enabled you to realise your dream.

Your new home and new life sound idyllic ETE, just goes to show all the money saving is worth it if it helps us to realise our dreams.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 20th May 17, 8:14 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you BusyMee, I often think of the phrase I have seen on here along the lines of, the harder I work the luckier I get! We still *feel* very lucky though

It does make all the hard work worth it to have something we have dreamed of to show for it. I'm feeling very motivated to carry on with the next phase of the cunning plan and plan to have fun doing it
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 20th May 17, 8:30 AM
    • 427 Posts
    • 1,664 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    I like that phrase too ETE. We built our own house and I get fed up of being told that I am so lucky to have such a nice house......it involved a lot of blood, sweat and tears and an eye watering mortgage !

So glad you are enjoying it and you carry on feeling lucky : )
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th May 17, 9:46 AM
    • 28,070 Posts
    • 154,326 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You are not lucky ETE, you didn't win the money for your new house in the lottery ! You worked hard and have been sensible with your money which enabled you to realise your dream.

Your new home and new life sound idyllic ETE, just goes to show all the money saving is worth it if it helps us to realise our dreams.
    Originally posted by Busy Mee1
    Exactly! And yes, its completely "the harder I work, the luckier I get". Good for you!
    Retired August 2016
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 21st May 17, 7:57 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Yesterday was an expensive day, taking DGS out for his birthday and getting the annual pass. We did manage to take packed lunch, so could have been much worse.

I currently have £42 to last until the end of the month, which might be a bit tight. There is not much food in the house either. I could move money over from the bills account and I do have an OD which we agreed we might need to use during the move. However, I'm going to try really hard to see if I can manage without using either of these.

Today I will be meal planning and clearing out more stuff from the old stables and moving things to the new stables. Mum goes back today and DD1 & DGS are also coming for dinner, I have no idea what to give them. Need to get my thinking cap on.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 24th May 17, 8:14 PM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 6,182 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    How can it be Wednesday already? The only problem with not working for a week is that it all gets saved up and it makes it all a bit crazy after the break.

Not much progress so far this week. A bit more tidying of old yard ready to hand back and the rest has mostly been day to day stuff. The washing line is up, so washing can now be hung up outside.

Popped into Sains on way home tonight and used nectar points plus £30 for a few bits. It's not quite enough to get us to the end of the month but won't be far off. I will need £5 for parking at an event on Saturday as well.
    Fingers crossed no other urgent expenses crop up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

1,349Users online

Martin's Twitter