Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    • 1,099Posts
    • 5,934Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Time to get serious
    • 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    Time to get serious 26th Jan 16 at 7:50 PM
    Hello Everyone

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now. There have been many mentions that a diary has helped many of you with your goals, so I'm here to join in and knuckle down.

My oustanding mortgage is very small, that is not the real challenge!

This year the mortgage will be gone, however we are really keen to move.

Getting a mortgage for the type of house we want will be difficult, so the plan is to save as much as possible. It doesn't help that I am very impatient!!

The initial focus is to clear the current mortgage and reduce the outgoings. On the 1st January it was £9400 and I was hoping to have it paid off by the end of the year. It is currently at £3900

So far I have claimed credit back from energy suppliers, claimed outstanding expenses from the business and sent off scrap gold. Ate from the mealplan, there was lots of food left over from Christmas and used the nectar points at $ainsburys and T3sco points for food, claimed the cashback sitting in T0pCashback, scoured all the accounts to shuffle bits into the mortgage and bought virtually nothing all month (not sustainable I know!!).

Off to hunt for the next financial area of focus....
Page 26
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 16th Apr 17, 6:42 AM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Two days of the long weekend have evaporated already. I still haven't had a lie in, I keep waking up so early. Tuesday will probably be the day that my body decides it will try and lie in!

Friday the other short side of the field was fenced, so now just the bottom long side to do, but that can wait as it won't be needed for a good few months. Yesterday lots of packing was done, followed by BBQ round SIL's. It was absolutely freezing, but good to sit down for a couple hours.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 18th Apr 17, 7:14 AM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Back to the grindstone today to earn some pennies.

Pottered around at new field Sunday, hung a gate, made another gate to stop them getting in behind the stables and painted 2/4 of the gates with creosote. The place is all ready for them to move in now, although transport is not available for next weekend so will wait until we have a moving date to work out when to move them.

DD1 and DGS came round for dinner , so used more bits up from the freezer then ate Easter eggs.

Yesterday spent most of the day packing. Almost everything is packed now apart from the kitchen, but we are guaranteed to have time next weekend to pack the last few bits.

I was amazed that there was still quite a bit to declutter as so much had been done when we were decorating. It must multiply in the cupboards. Lots of paper shredded and rubbish thrown away. I'm not moving anything that isn't needed.

So much for having a relaxing break this weekend! Maybe next weekend....
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 19th Apr 17, 7:51 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Still nothing. Not a dicky bird from anyone in over a week
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Apr 17, 10:10 AM
    • 27,708 Posts
    • 151,387 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sorry to hear that EE is there a chance that things are okay behind the scenes and everyone is just waiting for someone else to make the last move? Or is there someone bad at admin who's holding the whole thing up? That happened to my sister in France recently (an English person, not a French one!).

Hope it finishes well soon, no matter what's causing it.
    Retired August 2016
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 20th Apr 17, 9:35 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I hope it's all sorted soon too! Just lots of to-ing and fro-ing between solicitors it would seem. Had messages from the seller tonight that they are booking their removal van for next Saturday. I'm not convinced we will have completed by then, but it doesn't stop them moving out anyway.

This means I need to work out a meal plan for the remaining days, of which I have no idea how many days that will be. We are having fish & chips tomorrow though, from the chip shop so that is one day sorted without too much thinking.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Apr 17, 10:00 PM
    • 27,708 Posts
    • 151,387 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Well, thats one part thats definite then. Hope the rest falls into place really soon.

Aren't chippies a lifeline in times like you're going through? Even the existence of a functioning oven can be in doubt when you're moving, so hot takeaway close by is a godsend
    Retired August 2016
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 20th Apr 17, 10:12 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    We are making the most of having a chippie close by tomorrow as when we move there are none close by. I have checked out the local options in the village and there is a fish and chip van on a Thursday, I have never heard of this before!

I thought it was tradition to have fish and chips the first night in a new house, which won't be a Thursday I am sure. However there is a pub about 5 minutes away that I have heard from quite a few sources is very good and serves food. That is now the plan for our first night when we eventually move. I may have even sneaked a look at the menu too!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 21st Apr 17, 8:57 AM
    • 27,708 Posts
    • 151,387 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sometimes those vans are brilliant. I have a local chippie, which is acceptable and no more. But there's a little village 10 minutes walk away, and on the huuuuuge village green, a chippie van turns up every Friday night. I've only done it twice, but their chips are manna from heaven!
    Retired August 2016
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 22nd Apr 17, 7:11 AM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    That sounds fabulous KC. I will definitely be checking out the chippie van at some point.

Still no news, so we won't be moving next weekend, I'm sure our solicitor said she needs 5 clear days to draw down funds. That means we can have a relatively restful weekend and I really feel like I need it.

Food shopping is the main priority for today. I have done an excellent job of making sure the food was all used up by our original moving date (yesterday).
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 22nd Apr 17, 1:00 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Food shop completed, enough food to see us until next weekend when we can review the situation.

Also special horse feed for one of the boys has been ordered as he is getting low.

Nothing else needed now until payday, so £600 shuffled back over to go towards moving costs/bills. I really haven't spent much at all this month, which is very much needed with all the moving costs coming up!

I shall be doing the business banking in a bit and paying the corporation tax bill, then I'm going to sit and read for the rest of the afternoon. Whilst at $ainsburys I was a bit naughty and picked up a paperback. Not strictly needed as I have loads unread, however they are all packed, so I cheated and bought a new one.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 22nd Apr 17, 1:40 PM
    • 27,708 Posts
    • 151,387 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I think we can forgive you that one! Enjoy a relaxing afternoon, I think you're due for one
    Retired August 2016
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 23rd Apr 17, 8:28 AM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Yesterday afternoon was quite relaxing in the end, I even read a few chapters of the new book. It took ages to make the banking up as I haven't done it for ages (most payments are card or bacs). It took so long I didn't get round to paying the tax, so that is first job for today.

I did find some money that is unaccounted for in our safe, so that has been put aside and should cover a large part of the travel costs for moving the horses.

I've just been looking at registering to see the new mortgage online as I found a letter with the account number on. The website for registering only has a field for savings account number though. Does anyone on here have a Coventry mortgage they can see online? I know there is no rush and it won't be there yet as it hasn't been drawn down, but I do like to try and be organised!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 23rd Apr 17, 9:49 AM
    • 27,708 Posts
    • 151,387 Thanks
    Karmacat
    There's a double meaning in "make up the banking" that I quite enjoyed
    Retired August 2016
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 23rd Apr 17, 4:04 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    There's a double meaning in "make up the banking" that I quite enjoyed
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 27th Apr 17, 7:55 AM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Still no news here, apart from a slight panic when our solicitor said she hadn't received the paperwork for our mortgage - it's there now and was confirmed as being there a couple of weeks ago so not sure if it was misplaced or what. Slightly concerning.

Our accountant decided to do an assessment and automatically decreased our wages as it would work out better for us tax wise - without telling us! It's back where we want it now.

All in all I'm not very impressed with anything this week and looking forward to a long weekend! The business account is still looking quite healthy despite the corporation tax leaving, so I'm very pleased with this

Hubby needs new trainers, they are falling apart and DD2 was incredulous that he had to wait until payday to get them. I'm sure she believes the tree in our garden is in fact a money tree
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 27th Apr 17, 8:07 AM
    • 874 Posts
    • 4,241 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    phew, roll on the weekend for you to relax ... I hope it is sunny and bright and restores you
    Mortgage Feb '13 £200000, end 2038. Aiming for before March 2025 (crunched to 2034)
    January 16 £182800 : minimum £360 OP but needs to be £600 to achieve 2025
    Current mortgage £159800
    h@lifax CC £4500 0% until May 2018.. will pay minimum for now, slow stooze
    xmas, chairs, hoover, computer and holiday [STRIKE}clothes[STRIKE] DD1 cc
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 27th Apr 17, 8:45 AM
    • 27,708 Posts
    • 151,387 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That's no bad thing that your DD has heard that! It might sink in about priorities ...
    Retired August 2016
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 27th Apr 17, 6:35 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I'm really really hoping for a relaxing weekend! Maybe even a cocktail.

I've been very grumpy today, not like me at all.

Hubby has been looking up chicken coops on t'internet today and asked if I wanted a chicken coop and chickens for a belated birthday present, I think I want to move first!

I need to do some research, he thinks they can live in the space behind a barn up the new field. Has anyone got any chicken tips? Do they stay in the chicken run all day then go in the box at night?
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 28th Apr 17, 9:30 AM
    • 27,708 Posts
    • 151,387 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I think they do, but I've never kept them myself. Maybe somebody has a good chicken keeping blog?

I have these two bookmarked:
    http://www.chickenwhisperer.com/
    http://thepoultryguide.com/10-best-free-chicken-coop-building-plans/

HTH
    Retired August 2016
    • pink poppy
    • By pink poppy 28th Apr 17, 2:43 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 5,680 Thanks
    pink poppy
    I'm pretty sure there's an on-going thread on keeping chooks on the Greenfingered moneysaving forum on here too.
    MFW...
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
    Making it happen...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,110Posts Today

8,088Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin