Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    • 960Posts
    • 4,894Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Time to get serious
    • 26th Jan 16, 7:50 PM
    Time to get serious 26th Jan 16 at 7:50 PM
    Hello Everyone

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now. There have been many mentions that a diary has helped many of you with your goals, so I'm here to join in and knuckle down.

My oustanding mortgage is very small, that is not the real challenge!

This year the mortgage will be gone, however we are really keen to move.

Getting a mortgage for the type of house we want will be difficult, so the plan is to save as much as possible. It doesn't help that I am very impatient!!

The initial focus is to clear the current mortgage and reduce the outgoings. On the 1st January it was £9400 and I was hoping to have it paid off by the end of the year. It is currently at £3900

So far I have claimed credit back from energy suppliers, claimed outstanding expenses from the business and sent off scrap gold. Ate from the mealplan, there was lots of food left over from Christmas and used the nectar points at $ainsburys and T3sco points for food, claimed the cashback sitting in T0pCashback, scoured all the accounts to shuffle bits into the mortgage and bought virtually nothing all month (not sustainable I know!!).

Off to hunt for the next financial area of focus....
Page 23
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 10th Mar 17, 6:27 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you Jodles & tryharder, I shall certainly be kicking butt as much as possible!

Documents are signed back to solicitor with first cheque and confirmation received from EA in writing for the offer.

Searches will begin on Monday.

The seller is moving into rented and as we are not selling our house this has turned out to be a very short chain

Alarm is set early for a long day out with the dog tomorrow, then all day fencing Sunday.
    • greent
    • By greent 11th Mar 17, 9:00 PM
    • 5,869 Posts
    • 59,339 Thanks
    greent
    Wow! Amazing decision - just wow! Definitely flashing neon lights were in order!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £657.00/£500 PAYDOX17 £9887/£10k Decluttered 865/2017 items
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 12th Mar 17, 7:05 AM
    • 960 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you greent, just keeping everything crossed we can pull it off!

A long day out yesterday, but no pennies spent despite all the amazing trade stands and all our own food taken. All tickets and car parking had been paid earlier in the year.

I'm procrastinating a bit this morning. I'm tired from yesterday and I'm trying to decide what needs to be done today.

There is of course more fencing, which will free up more pennies when complete as we can move the horses in, there is a huge mountain of ironing and I should spend some time sending out invoices. I will sit here with s cup of tea first I think.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 12th Mar 17, 1:59 PM
    • 5,148 Posts
    • 35,424 Thanks
    CathT
    Just caught up just in time for the start of your new mfw journey! You've already achieved so much.
    June 2010 £121,287
    May 2017 - part 1 - £81,782
    -part 2 - £46,814
    Total - £128,596
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 12th Mar 17, 3:15 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you CathT, welcome along.

So far today I have completed the ironing, done a freezer inventory and decluttered a kitchen cupboard. Not bad considering how tired I am.

Definitely not enough energy for fencing today, but we have been up the horses to feed them and tried to hitch up and move the old defunct trailer. We couldn't get hitched though as jockey wheel is not moving. New plan is to maybe cut it up at some point. The dog didn't need much of a walk either as he is completely shattered too!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 12th Mar 17, 7:01 PM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 23,829 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    New jockey wheels aren't TOO expensive?
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 13th Mar 17, 6:13 AM
    • 960 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thanks SHS, I hadn't thought of replacing it as we are just going to tow it to the scrap metal place. It might be less hassle to do that than to chop it up. Maybe hubby just wants to get the power tools out though!
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 15th Mar 17, 7:04 AM
    • 960 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    That's two days of work out the way. Looks like one of the projects I'm working on has been pushed out until near the end of the year, so no sign of coming to an end any time soon, which all helps the pennies coming in.

The mortgage broker has got all the documents from us and taken card payment for arrangement fee but still waiting on something from our accountant, which is a bit frustrating. Hubby will chase this up today.

Our new house is still showing for sale on RM and EA websites. I would have though it should show at least under offer by now? This has been chased up too, along with a request for some detailed information, but no response from EA yet.

Currently we are going through the freezer to use up all the things that have been in there ages and I have at last started to send out some of the backlog of invoices. There is not much of a backlog but just the ones which needed some checking and amendments. I have noticed there are quite a few that haven't been paid that need chasing up too (my least favourite job!). I'm aiming to do a couple each evening.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 16th Mar 17, 9:41 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    The mortgage application should have been placed today, there's been a lot of requirements due to our circumstances so I feel the mortgage broker fee was well worth the money really. Especially as I thought I was reasonably clued up from hanging around here!

The mortgage will be at a slightly higher % due to it now being a 90% LTV and not the originally planned 60%, but we have the sliding scale of the LTV vs %, so we have an idea of when to review remortgaging once we start OPs. Although it might also be worth checking after the extension is completed too.

Not much else happening, we are slowly working our way through the freezer, although made a huge tuna pasta bake tonight which used up tins from the cupboard and found another portion of soup in the freezer when I thought I had used them all up.

DD2 has her driving test tomorrow first thing, fingers crossed she passes.
    • greent
    • By greent 17th Mar 17, 8:23 AM
    • 5,869 Posts
    • 59,339 Thanks
    greent
    Hope it goes well for DD2 x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £657.00/£500 PAYDOX17 £9887/£10k Decluttered 865/2017 items
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 17th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    thanks greent, unfortunately she wasn't successful but has it rebooked already on advice of her driving instructor.
    Last edited by EatingTheElephant; 17-03-2017 at 6:13 PM.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 17th Mar 17, 6:14 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Some good news today, house is now showing sstc! Also had a ping from Clearscore that something had changed on my credit file, so that should be the mortgage in progress.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 18th Mar 17, 9:20 AM
    • 960 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    The weekend is here, still no rest for us yet though.

More fencing today - hope we don't get blown over. Washing machine has just finished, at least the wind should be good for drying the washing.

Just getting some filing done and decluttering before heading out.
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 18th Mar 17, 10:27 AM
    • 826 Posts
    • 3,940 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Fab news,
    We considered that when we couldn't sell. But we couldn't find enough cash then.
    Mortgage Feb '13 £200000, end 2038. Aiming for before March 2025 (crunched to 2034)
    January 16 £182800 : minimum £360 OP but needs to be £600 to achieve 2025
    Current mortgage £161400
    h@lifax CC £4700 0% until May 2018.. will pay minimum for now, slow stooze
    xmas, chairs, hoover, computer and holiday [STRIKE}clothes[STRIKE] DD1 cc
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 18th Mar 17, 1:55 PM
    • 2,124 Posts
    • 9,561 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    Hello, found your journal. Super exciting about the move! I hope everything goes smoothly with arranging the mortgage/all the other bits.

Now off to read your previous adventures, esp. finding a field. I dream of doing something similar myself (well, ideally, live up the road from an amazing livery so I can walk to the horses but also have the option of taking time off).
    MFW: Dec '13 £197,100 / Dec '14 £180,691 / Dec '15 £161,669 / Dec '16 £119,669 / June '17 ££105,686 (£4,186 offset)
    Payment 41/84 / 2017 MFW #56: £13,981/£20,000 69% / MFiT-T4 #15: £53,813/£90,000 59%
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 18th Mar 17, 5:11 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Thank you mfd, we are very fortunate to be able to even consider this as an option really. I'm quite nervous about the risk (I'm very risk averse) but I'm sure it will work out ok.

Hello hidden, thank you for stopping by. Whilst looking for a house to move to my biggest hope was to find somewhere we could walk to the field from. I think I am stretching it a bit from where we are moving to, it is 7miles. We just couldn't afford the houses that were any closer unfortunately, the cheapest were half a million.

I am really pleased with the amount of fencing completed today. It certainly gives you a workout clearing all the brambles and thumping the posts in. We are soooooo close to the point where we can move the horses in, maybe a few more weeks. We also need to get a gate in between the car park area and the stables, so have started to plan that too. I will be going up tomorrow armed with a huuuuge tape measure.

The tape measure will come in handy next week too, as we are going to the new house to measure up and show DD2 around. Very exciting!
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 19th Mar 17, 9:06 AM
    • 960 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Morning everyone, just for a change more fencing today!

I've just logged onto Clearscore and my credit rating has gone down by 11points after being credit checked for the mortgage. Am I sad that I find this interesting?!

When I collected DD2 from work last night she also brought home a load of boxes, which are currently in the spare bedroom. Packing will need to begin soon.

Right, best get the washing on the line and try to squeeze in a bit of ironing whilst hubby cooks a breakfast. He reckons if he does a full English it will keep us fencing for longer!!!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Mar 17, 12:11 PM
    • 27,382 Posts
    • 148,255 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow, its full steam ahead on here hope its all continuing to go well. I am completely familiar with the patterns of gradual moving of stuff between houses - it does make a difference when it comes to the big move, I'm hoping.
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.Save
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 19th Mar 17, 2:10 PM
    • 2,124 Posts
    • 9,561 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    Hello hidden, thank you for stopping by. Whilst looking for a house to move to my biggest hope was to find somewhere we could walk to the field from. I think I am stretching it a bit from where we are moving to, it is 7miles. We just couldn't afford the houses that were any closer unfortunately, the cheapest were half a million.
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Ouch! 7 miles is quite good, though - imagine it would be 15-20min drive tops? That's not bad. And (in theory) you could hack to the house, have a cup of tea, and hack back to the field. (Depending on routes/trails, of course).

Very impressed by you doing the fencing yourself. Not sure we'd be up for it, even if we knew how to do it. (I do want to take some DIY type courses, though, just to become more self-sufficient and/or be able to speak intelligently with workmen about things.)

Hope the fencing and house tours both went well.
    MFW: Dec '13 £197,100 / Dec '14 £180,691 / Dec '15 £161,669 / Dec '16 £119,669 / June '17 ££105,686 (£4,186 offset)
    Payment 41/84 / 2017 MFW #56: £13,981/£20,000 69% / MFiT-T4 #15: £53,813/£90,000 59%
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 20th Mar 17, 7:36 AM
    • 960 Posts
    • 4,894 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    You will never believe what time we went to bed last night....20:30! We were both exhausted, as was the dog too. I'm so glad we put a chicken casserole in the slow cooker for when we came home.

Hidden, the cost of having the fencing done by someone else is a huge motivation for doing it, even though it will take ages! Rough calculations mean each day we spend fencing saves us in the region of £800! We have been lucky that we have had plenty of years 'practicing'. Our current yard we rent but have to do the maintenance, so although we have never fenced the whole field there have been plenty of repairs and replacement sections done over the years! I am quite thankful for that at the moment.

It is also a possibility that there are hacking routes to our new house too, that might be an interesting way to introduce ourselves to the neighbours! There is plenty of room out in the front driveway area to hitch up too.....you've got me thinking now! Although their fitness levels are currently rubbish as we haven't ridden since before Christmas. I can't wait to get back on again.

Before collapsing in bed last night I did manage to do an online food shop to come this week and order my mum some flowers for Mother's Day (going through TCB of course).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,173Posts Today

7,216Users online

Martin's Twitter