Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 25th Jan 16, 3:39 PM
    • 699Posts
    • 1,557Thanks
    reality_check
    Reality Check...
    • 25th Jan 16, 3:39 PM
    Reality Check... 25th Jan 16 at 3:39 PM
    I need to start writing this diary while I have the motivation to do so! I have been a lurker for a while and reading all the diaries inspire me and I always think "I wish I could sort out my debt" well....today is the day!

I have buried my head in the sand for too long and it really is time to get a reality check!

I have done a quick total of my current debt and it is as follows:

Credit cards: £9817.86 of a possible £13300
    Overdraft: £1857.77 of a possible £2500
    Student loan: £11600.85
    Loan from family memeber: £7000
    Mortgage: £68213.30

Total: £98489.78!!

Credit cards and overdrafts are my main priororty, student loan is automatically deducted from my wages and family loan doens't need paid back ASAP, but would rather get that paid sooner rather than later.

I live with my daughter and 2 dogs, I will list my incomings and outgoings later today....I have tried to cut back to the bare essentials, but a lot of my recent debt has come from renovating my house and generally living beyond my means and going a bit OTT at christmas!

I am hoping this diary will help hold me accountable for my spendings and get me on the right path to living debt free!!

Fingers crossed!! xxx
Page 43
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 5th Nov 17, 10:59 AM
    • 699 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    reality_check
    Are you not SSG, you're not missing out on fb but get yourself on Instagram, it is great for home decor inspiration, beauty, food, travel....everything!

I am still in Glasgow, and in the dog house! I am so so hungover!! Mr Reality said last night "You drink, I'll have a few, I'm not that bothered....' I quote him, so....that's what I did! Someone had to be responsible for a baby, and he offered! He left the wedding about half 11, I stayed to the end and then went out with my new found Glaswegian wedding friends, great at the time, not so great now! This isn't what he's annoyed at....he said (I slightly remember) came bursting into the room singing and being annoying, woke the baby up, woke him up and then just passed out on the bed and fell asleep whilst him and the was sleeping now wide awake Woke up this morning, eye make up smeared all my face etc...not the best look, haven't been sick, but every movement makes me think I want to throw up!! I also had to delete some instastories where I clearly thought it was funny at the time to upload videos of myself speaking in theeee worst attempt of a Scottish accent!! (maybe don't get Instagram after all SSG).

Anyway, he is smugly away making use of the gym in the hotel, I feel a lot more human after having a bath, just need to slap on some make up and man up! We are here another day and night so going to make the most of it.

Hope you've all had great weekends and feel a lot fresher this morning than I do! On the MSE things it has been a frugal weekend for me as I have just been using OH's bank card! xxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    Current debt: £8,000
    • Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 5th Nov 17, 3:43 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    Rachel24
    Haha reality sounds like a great night! I live in Scotland and Glasgow is a great night out! I was out last night too and I’m so hungover today. Now lying on my couch doing nothing.
    I love Instagram! I follow home decor, celebrities etc. That’s amazing about you making money off of it reality and thing is you are using stuff anyway so that is fantastic! Hope you enjoy the rest of your time away :-)
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 5th Nov 17, 5:34 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,696 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Are you not SSG, you're not missing out on fb but get yourself on Instagram, it is great for home decor inspiration, beauty, food, travel...
    Originally posted by reality_check
    You are quite right Reality - thinking about it, I AM using social media via DFW - albeit secretly! I tend to think of social media in the Facebook/Twitter vein. Plus I do subscribe to Pinterest although I never put anything on there.

to your inebriated night! Brings memories flooding back to me - especially the Cruella de Ville morning make up! I would really have loved to see that Instagram post with the Scottish accent though! In my day you were at least safer - no social media then!!!!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • louby40
    • By louby40 5th Nov 17, 6:56 PM
    • 1,197 Posts
    • 3,281 Thanks
    louby40
    Oooo I hate that hungover feeling. Hope youíre feeling better now.

We too have been watching Mindhunter! Itís good!
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL
    Emergency fund £670/£1000. Christmas savings £100/£600 Car maintenance £150/600
    Kitchen July £12,493 DEC £9,993. 25% paid off
    Barclaycard £90
    Car loan £2684.22 Mortgage £94,992
    TOTAL DEBT (with mortgage) = £108,044 (without mortgage) = £13,052
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 7th Nov 17, 6:09 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    reality_check
    I had a great weekend, I loved Scotland! Really need to make more of an effort and go back. The weddding was so good and very Scottish! Lots of kilts and marine uniforms, so basicaslly heaven!

We never got round to Mindhunter in the end, been catching on Strangerthings but def on the to do list, looks right up my street,

I feel like I just up this diary with my daily life, so seems a bit pointless sometimes! I am trying not to increase my debt this year and do Christmas without adding to credit cards and going to start again in January and make plans!

Need to get packing as off to Tennerife on Thursday, can't wair for some sun!! xxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Nov 17, 9:47 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 4,322 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Scotland then Tenerife - not bad eh?

I agree, the Scots do a great wedding. Hope you've recovered!
    • monz
    • By monz 8th Nov 17, 9:03 AM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 8,609 Thanks
    monz
    The only reasons a Scots wedding is good is cos we know how to drink and obv 500 miles song comes on :P xx
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016)
    house deposit £6,356.28/10,000
    mums xmas vouchers boots 50/50 sisters xmas vouchers topshop 30/30 Dads xmas voucher amazon (surveys) 30/30
    holiday - £540.43/1064.72
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Nov 17, 12:41 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 4,322 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    The only reasons a Scots wedding is good is cos we know how to drink and obv 500 miles song comes on :P xx
    Originally posted by monz
    Ha ha - not forgetting Scottish hospitality and singing Loch Lomond!
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 15th Nov 17, 8:02 AM
    • 699 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    reality_check
    You're right Monz, a lot of alcohol was involved and that song did come on at the end Cherryfudge - it wasn't all a blurr after all!

Hope you're all well, just checking in from sunny Tennerife, last full day! I am looking forward to coming home as I love this time of year and can't wait to get the Christmas decs up!! xxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 18th Nov 17, 10:54 AM
    • 699 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    reality_check
    Back home and it is so so cold, seems to have taken a big dip in the past week! The winter clothes are back in action. Been up since half 5 this morning with a baby who wouldn't sleep!! Mixed in with staying up late crying my eyes out watching Children in Need was not a good combination! But....all my housework is done and we went a big walk this morning and went out for some breakfast and I'm just having another coffee to keep the energy levels up. Today I am going to a garden center with my mum, it does the best cakes and such lovely christmas decorations, OH is taking the baby and the dog over to see his mum and dad, so a baby free afternoon! Tonight will be chinese and tv...I love winter! Dark nights, all the candles lit, cosy pyjamas and staying on the couch eating my body weight in chinese and chocolate.

I really need to rein in my spending, been buying myself too much, plus my daughter and stuff for OH's Christmas. I just need to get Sophie's bf something and my son but not got a clue what they want!

Better go get ready, have a lovely weekend everyone xxx
    Last edited by reality_check; 18-11-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 21st Nov 17, 8:46 AM
    • 699 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    reality_check
    I can't believe how organised for Christmas I am this year!! I don't really have an excuse since I'm off work, but still....I'm impressed! I might even start wrapping this weekend. I got OH to go up to the loft and get Christmas boxes down last night, they are all stored in 3 big Prada handbag boxes...a reminder of my debt! They are the best boxes for storing Christmas decs but I don't encourage spending £2000 per bag for the privilege!! (in my defence, if it's possible to say that...I still have and use these handbags so not a total waste, but will be a long time before I can justify £6000 on 3 bags ever again!) So...I might put up some things this weekend, I don't have a lot just some little Christmas bunting and a few other things, feeling so Christmassy, but will hold off on the tree since we buy a real one and will be dead before Christmas!

Having Christmas at mine again this year, it's going to be a busy, busy house! Me, OH, baby, my daughter, her bf, her bfs nan and grandad, my son, his gf, my mum, dad, sister, 3 nephews, OH mum, dad, his sister, her husband and 2 kids!! NO idea where we will all sit! I have a dining room 6 chairs, kitchen table has 6 and 2 stools on the island, so we will be having a Peter Kay Christmas all sat at different levels spread over a mix of tables and probs need to use garden furniture for the kids! I refuse to get stressed out over one dinner, so keeping it simple. Will make some ham the night before, and then we are just having chicken, so will cook them early and can just carve them all and heat back up in the oven in some tin foil before we eat, roast potatoes are nice and easy, some mash can be made and then just veg and gravy. Will buy some stuffing and sausages wrapped in bacon to throw in the oven. I am only making soup with those cheap par baked rolls you put in the oven will offer that or shop bought pate and oatcakes. My mum is going to buy and bring deserts so no hassle there and OH parents are brining alcohol and his sister said she will bring some cheese and biscuits.

I am really looking forward to a Christmas spent all day at home. The making it round to visit everyone and leaving the house is what annoys me. So spend the morning in my pyjamas and then everyone is coming round in a Christmas jumper! Really looking forward to it.

In MSE news, my credit cards haven't increased but also have decreased but I am taking that as a win. With having a new baby, going away a few times I am taking that as a small win and will be tackling my debt again in January xxx

:x mastree::snow_ grin
    Last edited by reality_check; 21-11-2017 at 8:49 AM.
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 22nd Nov 17, 9:54 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,696 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I like the sound of your ďposhĒ deccies storage Reality. Mine are stored in boring old cardboard boxes then put in bin bags and shoved up DSisís loft as I havenít got room to store them at mine! Never kept the posh boxes from my days of folly buying designer bags and I dont think Iíll be going down that route again unless the lotto syndicate Iím in at work hits the jackpot!

Your Christmas sounds like it will be such fun! And itíll be a special 1st Xmas for someone wonít it! I think a little extra mini tree is in order! Food wise everything sounds like it will go smoothly - great that people are mucking in and bringing courses - cuts down the shopping and the cost!

• reality_check
    • By reality_check 24th Nov 17, 1:59 AM
    • 699 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    reality_check
    Yeah I don't think I will be buying them again any time soon either!

I am really looking forward to Christmas this year, funnily I was saying to my OH I wanted a mini tree in the kitchen/maybe the bedroom....he's said no, but we will see...if one happens to end up in my house I can't help it....

Up for a night time feed, even though I don't function well on zero sleep there is something special about these night time feeds, feels like the the world is sleeping (they probably are!) and just the two of us x x
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 25th Nov 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,696 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    A vote here for sneaking in the little !

• reality_check
    • By reality_check 1st Dec 17, 2:37 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    reality_check
    Been a while since I updated this! Not a lot to stay, I am all sorted for Christmas, waiting on the last few things to arrive and then just got them to wrap, everything else is ready to go.

Good job I have been organised, I have been so so tired recently, plus my mum is back in hosiptal, I have been going every day at least once so that alone wipes out my day. Hopefully she will be out start of next week, doubt she will over the weekend now.

If anyone likes mulled wine or hot cider you need to get a hold of some of the Ribena - Winter Spice squash, it is so nice and tastes like a glass of mulled wine (nearly!), perfect for this time of year and especially if you can't drink/want to avoid any hangovers.

My tree is on hold until the end of next week because....I am off to NEW YORK! Can't wait, love it at this time of year over there. My OH didn't know what to get me for Christmas and I really don't want any 'stuff', soooo he has suggested we go away. Quite extravagant for a Christmas gift, but flights and hotel booked and the 3 of us are off tomorrow!!

I also have some exciting news to share when I am back, exciting for us anyway lol I'll leave you all in suspence! Have a good weekend everyone, happy 1st of December!! xxxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 1st Dec 17, 3:07 PM
    • 3,102 Posts
    • 13,803 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    Have a wonderful trip to New York, what an amazing present!! Looking forward to hearing your news too x
    £150/3000 OH BC(95% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £150/31010.23 (99.51% paid)
    Mortgage - £160,500.00 (2017 O/P £2475.46) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £18,079.25/14,539.71
    • monz
    • By monz 1st Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 8,609 Thanks
    monz
    ahhh dont leave us on suspence.... I am too nosey :P xx
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016)
    house deposit £6,356.28/10,000
    mums xmas vouchers boots 50/50 sisters xmas vouchers topshop 30/30 Dads xmas voucher amazon (surveys) 30/30
    holiday - £540.43/1064.72
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 2nd Dec 17, 9:42 AM
    • 4,118 Posts
    • 22,854 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Ooh I'm thinking that we may hear the pitter patter of tiny feet again next year?!?!?!?

Or that you are buying a house together..........
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 15 for November
    NSD - 1/15
    (up to 01/11/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 2nd Dec 17, 5:40 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,696 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hope your mum is on the mend Reality.

Iím so jealous! New York is one of my fave cities along with London (well I was born and bred there!) and the beautiful Florence. New York looks fantastic this time of year. It is one city that really lends itself to Christmas and you will have a great time.

Re your news - Iím thinking along the lines of church bells.......

• reality_check
    • By reality_check 9th Dec 17, 9:38 AM
    • 699 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    reality_check
    I'm baaack! I actually did mean to come back on and say what was happening, don't worry I am not a real life tw@t who posts criptic messages for people to ask what and then doesn't reply!

EE - NO, 100% not to another baby and no new house.

SSG - thanks, my mum is still in hospital, but so much better and hoping to be out next week. And you were right, we got married when we were away! No big fancy wedding, I wore a nice dress and bought myself some Jimmy Choo shoes to mark the occassion that can be used plenty of times again, they are not wedding shoes. We told our closest famiy members but that's been it, everyone else was told when it was all done and dusted, didn't want a fuss, just wanted to be married!

Hope everyone is in the festive spirit, time is flying by!! xxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

643Posts Today

4,644Users online

Martin's Twitter