Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 25th Jan 16, 3:39 PM
    • 672Posts
    • 1,405Thanks
    reality_check
    Reality Check...
    • 25th Jan 16, 3:39 PM
    Reality Check... 25th Jan 16 at 3:39 PM
    I need to start writing this diary while I have the motivation to do so! I have been a lurker for a while and reading all the diaries inspire me and I always think "I wish I could sort out my debt" well....today is the day!

I have buried my head in the sand for too long and it really is time to get a reality check!

I have done a quick total of my current debt and it is as follows:

Credit cards: £9817.86 of a possible £13300
    Overdraft: £1857.77 of a possible £2500
    Student loan: £11600.85
    Loan from family memeber: £7000
    Mortgage: £68213.30

Total: £98489.78!!

Credit cards and overdrafts are my main priororty, student loan is automatically deducted from my wages and family loan doens't need paid back ASAP, but would rather get that paid sooner rather than later.

I live with my daughter and 2 dogs, I will list my incomings and outgoings later today....I have tried to cut back to the bare essentials, but a lot of my recent debt has come from renovating my house and generally living beyond my means and going a bit OTT at christmas!

I am hoping this diary will help hold me accountable for my spendings and get me on the right path to living debt free!!

Fingers crossed!! xxx
Page 42
    • Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 11th Oct 17, 8:42 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    Rachel24
    Also can you give me the website you got the Est!e Lauder for 15% off please. You always seem to get great bargains with make up etc! Xx
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 12th Oct 17, 8:11 AM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,405 Thanks
    reality_check
    I really meant not to spends on me, but I've clearly not stuck to that, not spending money is so hard!!

https://www.lookfantastic.com/ and use the code LFEL15 - not sure how long it is on for, but it is a good £5 saving! Every time I buy it I swear it goes up a pound, was around £26-28 not that long ago, now it's £32, think beccause it's so popular now xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    Current debt: £8,250
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 13th Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,405 Thanks
    reality_check
    I had a day out shopping and stopped off at cafe Nero for some FREE drinks! All you need to do is download the app, sign up with any email address (no validation needed) go to settings and insert promo code METRONERO and you get a free drink! It says hot, but my daughter got a passionfruit and mango cooler and I had a large hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows! The offer ends today, but along as you do it by today you have until the 20th to go in a claim it! If anyone reads this before midnight, worth a free drink! It does come up asking for bank details or to link to Apple Pay when you log in, but it's not needed, just ignore that and go straight to settings and put in the code xxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 16th Oct 17, 2:50 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,405 Thanks
    reality_check
    Virgin just sent me an offer for 24 months interest free with ZERO fee to trransfer a balance!! Where were all these deals when I was paying sky high interest!!

Nothing much to update, been paid, but keeping money in the bank for a few weeks to see where I am before paying off debt...have paid minimals, but hoping to use this wage for Christmas!! xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 16th Oct 17, 2:51 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,405 Thanks
    reality_check
    p.s I've scraped no spend October
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 16th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 4,770 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    p.s I've scraped no spend October
    Originally posted by reality_check
    Same here,

That’s a good balance transfer offer from Virgin. Excellent idea on keeping the money in the bank though.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 19th Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,405 Thanks
    reality_check
    Nothing to update, I am so so tired! I went from having a baby who slept all night other than waking to feed, but the past week wakes up every hour it feels!! I am like a walking zombie, dressed up for Halloween early!

Need to resist the winter clothes I have saw in Zara! I don't need anything!! xxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 19th Oct 17, 11:30 AM
    • 4,427 Posts
    • 8,232 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    4 month sleep regression? I cannot remember how old your baby is but my granddaughter did that and apparently it is very common as babies move from newborn sleep mode to sleeping like the rest of us do so constantly keep waking up and cannot easily get themselves back to sleep. Have you read the Wonder Weeks?
    Countdown to early retirement on 21.12.17 2 months to go.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 19th Oct 17, 10:14 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 4,770 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Oh no! Poor you! But at least you are resisting the lure of Zara,
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,633Posts Today

6,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin