Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 25th Jan 16, 3:39 PM
    • 691Posts
    • 1,496Thanks
    reality_check
    Reality Check...
    • 25th Jan 16, 3:39 PM
    Reality Check... 25th Jan 16 at 3:39 PM
    I need to start writing this diary while I have the motivation to do so! I have been a lurker for a while and reading all the diaries inspire me and I always think "I wish I could sort out my debt" well....today is the day!

I have buried my head in the sand for too long and it really is time to get a reality check!

I have done a quick total of my current debt and it is as follows:

Credit cards: £9817.86 of a possible £13300
    Overdraft: £1857.77 of a possible £2500
    Student loan: £11600.85
    Loan from family memeber: £7000
    Mortgage: £68213.30

Total: £98489.78!!

Credit cards and overdrafts are my main priororty, student loan is automatically deducted from my wages and family loan doens't need paid back ASAP, but would rather get that paid sooner rather than later.

I live with my daughter and 2 dogs, I will list my incomings and outgoings later today....I have tried to cut back to the bare essentials, but a lot of my recent debt has come from renovating my house and generally living beyond my means and going a bit OTT at christmas!

I am hoping this diary will help hold me accountable for my spendings and get me on the right path to living debt free!!

Fingers crossed!! xxx
Page 41
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 14th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,928 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I use YNAB (You Need a Budget) for working out my "pots." Basically nearly all my cash/savings is held in my Santander 123 account because of its interest rate/cashback. But I use YNAB to separate everything out into categories (direct debits, holidays, household, Christmas, Emergency Fund, etc) so I know exactly what I'm putting into each monthly and what I'm taking out. I've found it invaluable.

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 25th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    • 691 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    reality_check
    I'm back!! Slacking at keeping this up to date and keeing an eye on my spends, I think it's just because my routine for updating this was when I was at work, but obviously I'm not there right now.

YNAB is wayyyy over my head! Far too complicated and I just don't get it. It seems so many people love it, but it's really not for me. I tried the saving pots but was always just too tempted to pay them to debts and never last more than a few weeks - I'm hopeless! Maybe 2018 will be the year for saving pots....

Pay day has been and gone, only paid minimum this month because I booked a holiday to Tennerife (bad I know, but reallyyy missed a summer holiday and need some vitamin D!!) I also booked a hotel in Glasgow for 2 nights and paid my share for that and OH booked a surprise weekend away last weekend so I paid for 2 nights dog boarding which was an extra not in the budget cost and also my quarter energy bill was due...STILL not switched!!

I have a bit extra in the bank, going to make a Christmas pot saving, cutting it fine I know but hope it stays intact! I might start buying things I know I will 100% buy like perfume, aftershave, make up I know my daughter will want....will start keeping my eyes open for Boots 10% off or similar deals and at least I have some money there and waiting. £250 is in the Christmas pot.

Going to catch up on some diaries and attempt to drink a hot cup of coffee........hope you're all well, thanks for posting xxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    Current debt: £8,250
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 25th Sep 17, 10:21 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,928 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Good to see you back posting. Can't believe it's only a couple of months till Christmas ! Yes - time to start thinking about the Xmas pressies again!

SSG x

• reality_check
    • By reality_check 28th Sep 17, 12:52 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    reality_check
    I know SSG, can you believe it!! October at the weekend!! I love winter and the dark nights though, can't beat being at home, nice and cosy in your pyjamas with the fire on, candles lit and the house all clean and tidy.

Trying to focus again on budgets, but really want to do some things to my house, but must try and resist...desperatly want a new front door, re-paint everywhere and get my carpets all cleaned before Christmas...also need a new dishwasher as mine is hopeless!! Only 4 years old, but I have to clean everything before it goes in so pretty pointless!!

Been going to pram fit and loving it! Also joined a Wednesday night running club and best of all it's FREE! We meet at a supermarket and they supply free bottles of water and a smoothie at the end of the run so can't ask for better than that!

xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 28th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    So nice to read that somebody else doesn't "get YNAB". It wasn't for me either. You sound Happy Reality. Hope you are. xx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 30th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    reality_check
    Thanks PSL, I really am hope you are well too!

I've decided to try get a bit of focus back about my debts I am going to do 'No Spend October' of course I will still buy food etc but only essential items and try eat the millions of food already in. No non essential spends, so let's see how this goes.

My bank wrote to me yesterday to say they are reducing my £2,500 overdraft to £900!! This is because I don't use it so are taking it off me. This was always a safety net and I never bothered about an emergency fund becasue of this, but the fees are sky high right now would be bad if I did need to use it! There is a number to call if you think situations may change and want to keep it.....don't know what to do!

Have a good weekend everyone xxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 2nd Oct 17, 8:32 AM
    • 691 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    reality_check
    1st October - spent £31.03 in Aldi. £5.99 of this was on a bottle of prosecco to drop round to my friend with a card for her birthday, the rest was essential and should last us to the weekend. A lot of maybe wouldn't be deemed essential to some, but to me twirls, sticky toffee pudding, nutella and pancakes are! I know I could save money and bake things, but 1. I can't bake and 2. I have no time for that! But for me non essentials are the Aldi Jo Malone candles and diffusers and cleaning stuff that I don't yet need are the type of things I am not buying this month.

Spent £7.07 on 2 coffees and a cake in a little cafe - again I am deeming this ok as Sunday is a family day to spend together, weather was so bad and didn't want to stay in all day so this was a compromise for going for lunch/dinner.

Basically no spend October is cutting out buying 'stuff'. I am not going to replace not buying anything with meals out etc but coffee and cake is justifiable, to me.

Today should be a no spend day, waiting for the rain to go off and going to go a long walk with the dog and the pram, my mum and dad are coming for lunch, I made a big pot of carrot and coriander soup yesterday and bought those part baked rolls from Aldi so we will have that and some tea and biscuits. Also feeling like a domestic goddess since I have dinner made already, made shepard's pie yesterday for today so just need to make some veg later and other than that bit of cleaning and that's my day! Hope you all have a good week! xxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 3rd Oct 17, 3:14 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    reality_check
    Ordered my daughter some perfume for Christmas, from my Christmas pot so that's not affecting my no spend October. Her favourite is Flowerbomb and normally £99 for 100ml but I just ordered it from Allbeauty and got it for £87.95! Present one bought!! I hope I can be orgainsed this year!! xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 3rd Oct 17, 11:03 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,928 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I like Allbeauty for perfume. I wear Guerlain's Mitsouko or L'Heure Bleu and not all retailers stock it. I got nearly £20 off Mitsouko from Allbeauty last time I ran out of it! And youve made me start to think earnestly now about Xmas!

P.S what sort of exercise do you do at pramfit?

• Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 4th Oct 17, 7:54 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    Rachel24
    I've never heard of all beauty must have a look! I've not bought any xmas presents this year, it's the first year of me being disorganised. All my friends are turning 30 in the next few months so I've been concentrating on that. Xx
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 4th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    reality_check
    I've ordered a few things in the past, normally find a good deal! I am always a last minute buyer with Christmas, I normally buy one gift round about now then take a back seat thinking I'm organised...hopefully history doesn't repeat it'self this year!
    SSG I have never heard of L'Heure Bleu, had a google of it and it is on John Lewis for £227 for 30mls!!! you sure do have expensive taste! Now I really want to smell it lol https://www.johnlewis.com/guerlain-l-heure-bleue-perfume-30ml/p102221

Pram fit is going for a brisk walk/jog with the pram and then we do exercises like lungees/squats holding on to the pram we basically look like a bunch of nutters if anyone is passing! Then after it we now go for coffee and cake...so no logic there! Probably eat more than we burn off well...only me and 2 others do the cake part, the rest of the class probably go home and eat carrot sticks like you're meant to do!

I am also going to look into baby yoga, but goodness knows how safe that is! I am off to baby massage classes tomorrow for 6 weeks, it cost £50 but paid for it when I got paid, heard great things about it. I done none of this 20 years ago with my daughter so it's probably not even needed but got to move with the times! Plus it's good getting out the house and having a routine xxx
    Last edited by reality_check; 04-10-2017 at 12:32 PM.
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 4th Oct 17, 12:37 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    reality_check
    Oh yeah no spend October isn't going well...

2/10 £1.40 on a bottle of water on a walk because forgot mine

3/10 £10 charity donation for my daughters friend on just giving for a marathon
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 4th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    reality_check
    Me again - having a sit down whist baby sleeps. I have been reading someone's diary called 'Need to get a grip and stop keeping up with the Joneses....' but every time I try and click on her diary I get an error! Does anyone else read it and are still able to? I'm just wondering if it's my account, or maybe she has deleted it or...I'm blocked lol but surely not lol xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 4th Oct 17, 8:12 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,928 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    SSG I have never heard of L'Heure Bleu, had a google of it and it is on John Lewis for £227 for 30mls!!! you sure do have expensive taste! Now I really want to smell it lol https://www.johnlewis.com/guerlain-l-heure-bleue-perfume-30ml/p102221

Pram fit is going for a brisk walk/jog with the pram and then we do exercises like lungees/squats holding on to the pram we basically look like a bunch of nutters if anyone is passing! Then after it we now go for coffee and cake...so no logic there! Probably eat more than we burn off well...only me and 2 others do the cake part, the rest of the class probably go home and eat carrot sticks like you're meant to do!xxx
    Originally posted by reality_check
    Re L'Heure Bleue - I dont actually buy the concentrated perfume! Even that's a bit too dear for me! I do however like the eau de parfum which is the next step down (between perfume and eau de toilette). And that's £40 less on Allbeauty than John Lewis! It's a bit of a heavier scent - I like it for the evenings but wear Mitsouko eau de toilette for the day/work as it's lighter.

Pramfit sounds fun. Especially the coffee and cakes afterwards! It's the sort of fitness programme I would delight in. Must find a spare baby! The yoga appears interesting as well. Downward dog pose with your baby perched on your bottom!

• louby40
    • By louby40 4th Oct 17, 9:42 PM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 3,179 Thanks
    louby40
    Yes, she’s got a new diary. She’s called Mumbling Taff, she had trouble with her old one so had to start a new one.
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL
    Emergency fund £670/£1000. Christmas savings £50/£600 Car maintenance £50/600
    Kitchen July £12,493 OCT £10,493. 18% paid off
    Barclaycard £233
    Car loan £2890 Mortgage £95,391
    TOTAL DEBT (with mortgage) = £109,024 (without mortgage) = £13,633
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 5th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    reality_check
    Thanks Louby, I found it!

If only you lived closer to Manchester SSG, I could offer out the baby you need

Went to baby massage today and I loved it. I think she did too, going to try and remember what I learned to show OH. Also got to meet lots of new cute little babies. Didn't spend a penny when I was out and home now and think that's me in for the day. Dog is out with the dog walker and OH will take him a run with him tonight when he gets in.

Just had some lunch, going to try do a bit of housework, make dinner then hopefully have a nice hot bath, catch up on tv and an early night as I think I saw every hour on the clock last night so I am so so tired today!! xxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 11th Oct 17, 12:30 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    reality_check
    No spend October has crashed and burned....I needed a hairdryer! My current one keeps over heating, it has lasted years so a new one isn't so bad after all this time....I also added a few christmas presents and I have spent £205.65 on one website and then £137.83

This was for a hairdryer, perfume for my sister, perfume for me (oops ) sleep works pillow spray to put in with my daughters christmas, fake tan for my daughter and 3 Estee Lauder double wear 2 for my daughter and 1 for me when I need it as had 15% off so instead of £32 it was £27.64 so made sense!

I want to finish Chrsitmas shopping and be all wrapped mid/end November....xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 11th Oct 17, 12:32 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    reality_check
    I did however find nearly £30 in my PA account that I have transfered to my bank and £18 in Quidco so they should be showing up soon, and finally pay day on Friday...not looking forward to how much it will be! xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 11th Oct 17, 6:28 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,928 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Well done on the Xmas shopping reality! You soon be finished and wrapped at this rate. I've given up on the idea of no spend months from October to December - there's always something to buy with Xmas looming no matter how hard I try. I might get in the odd NSD but basically it's money out!

• Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 11th Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    Rachel24
    At least you’re not adding to your debt though Hun. I agree with seasidegal at the time of year with Christmas you can’t not spend money! I do save up every much for Xmas and I’m trying to hold off because normally I buy my presents early then buy even more and blow the budget but this year I’m determined to stick to my budget! Xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,629Posts Today

10,170Users online

Martin's Twitter