Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 25th Jan 16, 3:39 PM
    • 638Posts
    • 1,279Thanks
    reality_check
    Reality Check...
    • 25th Jan 16, 3:39 PM
    Reality Check... 25th Jan 16 at 3:39 PM
    I need to start writing this diary while I have the motivation to do so! I have been a lurker for a while and reading all the diaries inspire me and I always think "I wish I could sort out my debt" well....today is the day!

I have buried my head in the sand for too long and it really is time to get a reality check!

I have done a quick total of my current debt and it is as follows:

Credit cards: £9817.86 of a possible £13300
    Overdraft: £1857.77 of a possible £2500
    Student loan: £11600.85
    Loan from family memeber: £7000
    Mortgage: £68213.30

Total: £98489.78!!

Credit cards and overdrafts are my main priororty, student loan is automatically deducted from my wages and family loan doens't need paid back ASAP, but would rather get that paid sooner rather than later.

I live with my daughter and 2 dogs, I will list my incomings and outgoings later today....I have tried to cut back to the bare essentials, but a lot of my recent debt has come from renovating my house and generally living beyond my means and going a bit OTT at christmas!

I am hoping this diary will help hold me accountable for my spendings and get me on the right path to living debt free!!

Fingers crossed!! xxx
Page 41
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 14th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 3,955 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I use YNAB (You Need a Budget) for working out my "pots." Basically nearly all my cash/savings is held in my Santander 123 account because of its interest rate/cashback. But I use YNAB to separate everything out into categories (direct debits, holidays, household, Christmas, Emergency Fund, etc) so I know exactly what I'm putting into each monthly and what I'm taking out. I've found it invaluable.

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,844Posts Today

8,575Users online

Martin's Twitter