Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 25th Jan 16, 3:39 PM
    • 638Posts
    • 1,279Thanks
    reality_check
    Reality Check...
    • 25th Jan 16, 3:39 PM
    Reality Check... 25th Jan 16 at 3:39 PM
    I need to start writing this diary while I have the motivation to do so! I have been a lurker for a while and reading all the diaries inspire me and I always think "I wish I could sort out my debt" well....today is the day!

I have buried my head in the sand for too long and it really is time to get a reality check!

I have done a quick total of my current debt and it is as follows:

Credit cards: £9817.86 of a possible £13300
    Overdraft: £1857.77 of a possible £2500
    Student loan: £11600.85
    Loan from family memeber: £7000
    Mortgage: £68213.30

Total: £98489.78!!

Credit cards and overdrafts are my main priororty, student loan is automatically deducted from my wages and family loan doens't need paid back ASAP, but would rather get that paid sooner rather than later.

I live with my daughter and 2 dogs, I will list my incomings and outgoings later today....I have tried to cut back to the bare essentials, but a lot of my recent debt has come from renovating my house and generally living beyond my means and going a bit OTT at christmas!

I am hoping this diary will help hold me accountable for my spendings and get me on the right path to living debt free!!

Fingers crossed!! xxx
Page 40
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 4th Sep 17, 10:45 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 2,086 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I wasn’t meaning controlled crying techniques with a new born, but I am going to try use this approach when she’s much older as it has really worked for friends. I was more meaning when she is lying there sleeping I have an urge just to pick her up all the time lol
    Originally posted by reality_check
    Aww... I bet she's gorgeous!
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 7th Sep 17, 11:05 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    reality_check
    Aww... I bet she's gorgeous!
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Aww she is, I know everyone thinks they have beautiful babies but I really do. If I'm good at anything it's making good looking babies xx
    25/01/2016 £18,675.63
    Current debt: £8,450
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 7th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    reality_check
    £45 for a PT is very expensive. £20-30 is the going rate round here. (I live in Stoke) my DP used to be a PT and he charged £25 but then offered a discount for block bookings!
    Originally posted by louby40
    I must live with my head in the clouds, I didn't want to pay anymore than £20...MAX xx
    25/01/2016 £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 7th Sep 17, 11:07 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    reality_check
    Re pts that is a bit steep that one 45 quid is top end of what pts will charge. Its all relative though depending on where you live in the country.
    Originally posted by Scott_Weiland
    Hi Scott! I live just outside Manchester, but think I have been quoted central London prices! Needless to say the PT is on hold! The park is free...xx
    25/01/2016 £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 7th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    reality_check
    Hi reality. Finally caught up with your diary - I've read through from February. What can I say? But I know what I can say:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! 🎀🎀🎀🎀🎀🎀🎀🎀

(That's pink for a girl. I'm old-fashioned!)

What fantastic news and lots of love to the three of you! Quite a life changer but you sound so very happy and contented. I wouldn't worry about spending on yourself for now - I think you deserve it.

I'm glad you're enjoying your trip away. Brighton is really buzzy and fun.

Re the personal trainer - I've signed up for six months. Pay monthly and it works out at £35 per session. That's local to me at home (south east Essex). In the City where I work Matt Roberts' gym down the road costs over £100! but the going rate in Central London still seems around the £60 mark. Still paying the above is getting my lazy backside to the gym!

SSG x
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    Hi SG! I know blink and you miss a baby!! I loved Brighton, seems just a nice happy place to live! I am putting my PT dreams on hold, I just don't have the money. Perhaps when I get to the point like you and in a better fiancial position I can invest in myself with things like this! good on you with having all that motivation! xx
    25/01/2016 £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 7th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    reality_check
    That's us home from the wedding, it was such a lovely day and I am in love with Brighton. I didn't go over my budget as basically OH paid for mostly everything! He really wants us to book a holiday before Christmas....had a look and there are good last minute deals, it's just the spending money when you arrive! And the duty free temptation! Baby passport and some clothes....we will see! Going to speak to a few friends and see if any of them have any staff travel available. Due a bonus in Novembers wage too, but I'm not agreeing to anything yet.

Get paid next Friday, and for some reason everything seems to be going too well....no budgets blown and no credit card being used...famous last words!!!

xxx
    25/01/2016 £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 7th Sep 17, 11:34 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    reality_check
    Also need to book a hotel for a wedding we are going to next month in Glasgow! Will maybe hold off until see how much I am being paid first or so I can at least have one month where I don't ADD TO MY DEBT!! I better stop with the spam on my way page, a million posts by me!

Off to take the dog a walk - he is the most walked dog out there right now. I am also keeping my dog walker during maternity, slightly annoying but I don't want to lose him and this is his income so I have cut down to 2 days so £20 a week xxx
    25/01/2016 £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 7th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    reality_check
    I have just spent £22 on shampoo and conditioner with free delivery from a website I have neard heard of! I normally spend that per bottle and when something seems too good to be true, it normally is....but I like to take a risk, so card details in and hoping for the best! Used my credit card just incase but will transfer money from my bank over to over it.

Let's hope my next post isn't one about being a victim of credit fraud xxx
    25/01/2016 £18,675.63
    • Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 7th Sep 17, 3:42 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Rachel24
    WHat website reality? I spend a fortune on my shampoo!
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 7th Sep 17, 9:20 PM
    • 785 Posts
    • 4,034 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Yes I'm intrigued too by your website! Do tell reality!

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 9th Sep 17, 10:25 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    reality_check
    This is it -

https://www.justmylook.co.uk

Ever heard of it?

I use Wella Professionals Brilliance shampoo and conditioner. I normally spend £10.50 each I think on feelunique for 250ml (thought was for 500ml so even worse than I thought!) but this one worked out at £21.95 for both with 1000ml in each!!!

I will let you know if my order actually arrives lol money has been taken, I ordered on Wednesday so hopefully come next week! xxx
    Last edited by reality_check; 09-09-2017 at 10:34 AM.
    25/01/2016 £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 9th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    reality_check
    Seems legit, just signed and saw this message...

Order Dispatched - Your order has been successfully dispatched. 6 September 2017 Royal Mail 48 Tracked Credit or Debit Card 17:46, 8 September 2017

And i hope this isn't either of your shampoo as now says sold out

https://www.justmylook.co.uk/wella-professionals-brilliance-for-fine-to-normal-coloured-hair-shampoo-conditioner-twin-2-x-1000ml-p9480
    25/01/2016 £18,675.63
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 10th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    • 785 Posts
    • 4,034 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Looks good reality. I usually use Philip Kingsley hair products and you can certainly shave a £ or so off the price on your new website. However I've just bought some products from the Plantur range owing to the fact that my hair is getting thinner and thinner. . Do you know of anything I can use to grow instant hair?

SSG x

• reality_check
    • By reality_check 12th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    reality_check
    Shampoo and conditioner arrived and it's the real deal - def be using that website again. Free delivery too!

My hair grows very fast and it is thick SSG so I am not much help. My hair is in good condition I use the above shampoo, Kerastase hair oil and use a mix of Olaplex no3 and Philip Kingsley Elasticser hair treatments xx
    25/01/2016 £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 12th Sep 17, 7:11 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    reality_check
    Pay day in 3 days!!

Budgets all up in the air, allocated 4 weeks money for food even though away for 1, petrol the same for when at work and drivng much less as walking lots during the week, personal spending wayyy over budget but the above budgets have all merged together and no credit card use this month! xxx
    25/01/2016 £18,675.63
    • Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 12th Sep 17, 7:20 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Rachel24
    I just got an email from them today saying the shampoo and conditioner is back in stock. I shouldn't really buy it but it's such an amazing deal I'd be stupid not too! Can't get over the price!
    That's great reality check! Do you know how much you're going to pay towards your debts when you get paid?
    I've cleared one overdraft (only £150) but still paying my minimum payments and then I'm hoping to clear my next overdraft. It's a major achievement to not use your credit cards ��
    • Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 12th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Rachel24
    Just ordered the shampoo and conditioner ☺️
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 12th Sep 17, 10:21 PM
    • 785 Posts
    • 4,034 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Pay day in 3 days!!

Budgets all up in the air, allocated 4 weeks money for food even though away for 1, petrol the same for when at work and drivng much less as walking lots during the week, personal spending wayyy over budget but the above budgets have all merged together and no credit card use this month! xxx
    Originally posted by reality_check
    Yes well done on the non- credit card usage! And on all the walking!

SSG x

• MagicMoneyTree
    • By MagicMoneyTree 13th Sep 17, 6:50 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    MagicMoneyTree
    Jam jar savings
    Congrats on the progress so far!

The lumpy expenses like Christmas, birthdays and holidays are the worst. You could try some kind of Jam Jar savings technique, where you work out how much you need to set aside for each expense, then separate it into some kind of pot with a label on it. Your less likely to dip into money that has a clear purpose on it.

For most people these days keeping cash in actual jars isn't very practical, so you can try setting up a separate bank account instead, ideally one that lets you set up multiple sub-accounts for all the different expenses.

If you're tempted to dip into this new account day to day, maybe cut up any debit card you get with it. If that doesn't work you could try setting up a credit union type account that only.lets you take money out in person.

Best of luck and keep up the diary, it's great 😀
    • louby40
    • By louby40 13th Sep 17, 6:47 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 3,008 Thanks
    louby40
    I've got different pots (accounts) for things
    Car pot
    Christmas pot
    Emergency fund
    General savings

2 current accounts -1 salary goes into one and all the direct debits come out of there, then I transfer money to the second account for daily spends, petrol, food, cash.

It seems to be working so far!
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Emergency fund £500/£1000. Christmas savings £400/£600
    Kitchen July £12,493 SEPT £11,493. 12% paid off
    Barclaycard £442
    Car loan £3278 Mortgage £96,197
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

74Posts Today

3,202Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin