Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 25th Jan 16, 3:39 PM
    • 614Posts
    • 1,171Thanks
    reality_check
    Reality Check...
    • 25th Jan 16, 3:39 PM
    Reality Check... 25th Jan 16 at 3:39 PM
    I need to start writing this diary while I have the motivation to do so! I have been a lurker for a while and reading all the diaries inspire me and I always think "I wish I could sort out my debt" well....today is the day!

I have buried my head in the sand for too long and it really is time to get a reality check!

I have done a quick total of my current debt and it is as follows:

Credit cards: £9817.86 of a possible £13300
    Overdraft: £1857.77 of a possible £2500
    Student loan: £11600.85
    Loan from family memeber: £7000
    Mortgage: £68213.30

Total: £98489.78!!

Credit cards and overdrafts are my main priororty, student loan is automatically deducted from my wages and family loan doens't need paid back ASAP, but would rather get that paid sooner rather than later.

I live with my daughter and 2 dogs, I will list my incomings and outgoings later today....I have tried to cut back to the bare essentials, but a lot of my recent debt has come from renovating my house and generally living beyond my means and going a bit OTT at christmas!

I am hoping this diary will help hold me accountable for my spendings and get me on the right path to living debt free!!

Fingers crossed!! xxx
Page 34
    • monz
    • By monz 2nd Jun 17, 11:50 AM
    • 2,654 Posts
    • 7,253 Thanks
    monz
    If you love books join netgalley! Free and you get to receive books before tehy are out! even 13 reasons why I got just there and my favourite authors xx
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016)
    house deposit £5,741.18/10,000
    mums xmas vouchers boots (surveys ) 20/50
    Christmas - 0/400
    Australia 2019 - /5000
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 2nd Jun 17, 2:18 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    reality_check
    Oh really, how interesting! I signed up, think I tried to requst a book (don't know what I'm doing!!) and this came up....

"In order to request a title on NetGalley, please provide a bio and add your favorite categories to your profile."

What kinda things do you write?! xx
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 3rd Jun 17, 8:58 AM
    • 3,942 Posts
    • 7,085 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I have that book Behind closed doors on my kindle RC but not yet read it. I love those type of books like Girl on a train and Gone Girl. I am on a Linwood Barclay binge at the moment. Netgalley sounds good.
    Countdown to early retirement on 31.12.17 4.5 months to go.
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 4th Jun 17, 10:42 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    reality_check
    It's an easy read ES and I couldn't put it down, give it a go

I've just been watching the One Love Manchester concert, and safe to say with all the thoughts of all the innocent victims who have been caught up in it all, mixed in with pregnancy hormones, I have been an absolute wreck. I've never been prouder to be from Manchester (technically I lived in Liverpool until I was 10) than I have the past week, seeing everyone coming together.

In terms of money, has been a frugal weekend, and got my £50 plus a bottle of wine (that I will drink in August) from the lady who collected the wallpaper.

Off to bed now, I would normally moan that it's Sunday night and got the Monday morning feeling of dread, but I should count myself Lucky that I am here to see Monday as lots of people got that option taken away from them. Night diary xxx
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 6th Jun 17, 2:57 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    reality_check
    I basically want everything on here - http://www.thewhitecompany.com/The-Little-White-Company/Childrens-Bedroom/c/nursery trying to resist the urge not to commit to buying everything in my basket! My dad is coming this week to start painting the nursery, in keeping with my entire house it is mostly going to be white and grey. All getting very real and only 9 and a bit weeks to go!!

I am having my friend and her husband over for dinner tonight, need to go buy some chicken and something for desert, hoping for less than £10. I have also made a great discovery for cleaning my oven...I know this is boring to most people! I normally buy oven pride and it's only £2.99 but since I am obsessed with a clean oven, I do it every 2-3 weeks and it really annoys me that you need to leave it overnight, I like to start and finish things there and then, hate waiting! I follow all these fanatic cleaning people on Instagram and discovered something called Astonish paste...it is amazing!! Since my oven is clean, it isn't really much of a job all you do is make it into a paste rub it on and rinse off and comes out brand new, it is so good on the oven door...the point of this is, it's £1!! A minor saving in the grand scheme of things, but I would pay more for it since it is a miracle in a tub. I also cleaned all my window frames inside and outside, took me about 3-4 hours last night and now the windows look like new, the pvc is so white!

I signed up for a survey site, let's see how that goes.....xxx
    Last edited by reality_check; 06-06-2017 at 2:59 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Jun 17, 3:29 PM
    • 571 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Grey and white is lovely - so tranquil.

Thanks for the tip re: oven cleaning! If the weather lets up I'm off to see if I can find it. I bought an Astonish concentrated laundry liquid recently and was very pleased with it, so all things Astonish sound good to me.
    30 days in June...
    NSDs 9/12, Exercise 8/12, Housekeeping £108.57/£120
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 7th Jun 17, 8:47 AM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    reality_check
    The weather is so unpredictable, I hope the sun makes a come back.

Woke up this morning and my worktops under the boiler were floaded!! A massive bath towel soaked it all up, put another one down and that's starting to get wet already! Called the man who put my boiler in and will "pop round at some point today" I am furious! Will need to leave work and use holidays when he gives me a more accurate time! xxx
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Jun 17, 9:24 AM
    • 571 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    We have the sun here, do you?

Oh no! about the boiler. Check the floor underneath the units too if you haven't already. We've been waiting for our boiler to be serviced for months for various reasons: it's on my to-do list to chase it up. I hope the chap decides to come just after tea r some such civilised time.
    30 days in June...
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 8th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    reality_check
    Thankfully it never went down into my cupboards, probably would have if I hadn't got to it when I did. He came out yesterday afternoon, was a valve he hadn't tightened properly, so we are back in action.

The sun def isn't here sadly, all clouds and rain!

My friend dropped round a big bag of maternity clothes last night, which are very much needed! I have about 5 outfits that I seem to wear on loop as nothing fits and I am getting bigger by the day!! Seem to be doing well with not spending money this week, fingers crossed it continues! It makes such a difference not buying things on my credit card, even though the 2 things I have put on came to £1306 xxx
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Jun 17, 5:05 PM
    • 571 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Having different maternity wear is a real ego-booster, isn't it. 'Ah! I feel human again!'

It makes such a difference not buying things on my credit card, even though the 2 things I have put on came to £1306 xxx
    Originally posted by reality_check
    They say it's the little things that count
    30 days in June...
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 10th Jun 17, 8:23 AM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    reality_check
    I know it does make a difference and everything is all nice and stuff I would buy so I'm happy.

Had my sisers kids last night, 3 boys under 8, if I owed a gun I may have used it - on myself!! They are hard work! They are getting picked up soon as 2 of them have football, so then I can return my house to normal and get on with the housework.

Been ironing everything this morning for going away, off to Portugal on Monday, so going to make soup with all the vegetables floating about. OH is away to get stuff for a fry up, so going to put my feet up and catch up on last nights Eastenders and then get started xx
    • RebeccaAnney
    • By RebeccaAnney 12th Jun 17, 11:24 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    RebeccaAnney
    Have a lovely holiday Reality! Not at all jealous whilst sat at my desk at work eating my porridge....
    LBM 07/03/17 CC Debt - (£7472.87) £5877.83 | Catalogue - (£708.27) £0 | OD - £2350 | Car Loan - (£4348.38) £3403.08
    TOTAL (£14,879.52) £11,630.91
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 13th Jun 17, 2:50 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    reality_check
    Thanks Rebecca, hope you're enjoying your porridge

I've just been having a day filled with sunbathing, reading and eating - hard life! I was definitely meant to have been born in warmer climates!! xx
    25/01/2016 £18,675.63
    Current debt: £8,450
    • monz
    • By monz 13th Jun 17, 2:54 PM
    • 2,654 Posts
    • 7,253 Thanks
    monz
    Oh really, how interesting! I signed up, think I tried to requst a book (don't know what I'm doing!!) and this came up....

"In order to request a title on NetGalley, please provide a bio and add your favorite categories to your profile."

What kinda things do you write?! xx
    Originally posted by reality_check
    omg sorry I never saw this!! one second will copy and paste mine -

Bio
    My name is Monica and I am a single mum. I love reading books. I just cannot put them down. I love finding out about characters, what drives them and what happens next. I completely lose myself in books once my boy is in bed sleeping.

Not much but this is what I wrote - and books I love reading I selecteddxx
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016)
    house deposit £5,741.18/10,000
    mums xmas vouchers boots (surveys ) 20/50
    Christmas - 0/400
    Australia 2019 - /5000
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 13th Jun 17, 3:00 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    reality_check
    Had I been really good with my debt I would have had at least £16,000 paid off, not the current £7525.63 - annoying when you look at it like this. I worked this out from havng 16 pay days since January 2016.

But I wouldn't have been able to go on holiday a few times, even though I def go one too many for someone in such debt! I got my house all carpeted and had expensive splurges along the way, along with my new boiler. My debt also increased at the start of last year so was actually higher than £18,675.63 at one point. No point moaning about what could have been, as what's done is done, but at least I am down £7500 if I hadn't started this diary, and in reality I am sure my debt would probably be £7500 higher, if not more, and I wouldn’t have had a clue what it was spent on!

Pay day on Thursday, so hoping to drop into the 10’s (again!) xx
    Last edited by reality_check; 13-06-2017 at 3:04 PM.
    25/01/2016 £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 15th Jun 17, 11:00 AM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    reality_check
    Even though I am away, I still couldn't wait to get up and tranfer everything!

I have went against everything I know is wrong, and paid every last penny towards my debt, leaving no food budget (£150 on a Sainsburys card and packed freezer and cupboards) I have given myself petrol money after my bills, but no pocket money this month.

I am going to try earn extra money for anything I want to do this month/don't do anything that costs money!! My mum and dad have gave me £300 to put towards baby stuff, but really all the big stuff is bought and I am trying not to buy much more!

So, VIRGIN CREDIT CARD IS CLEARED!! - I did take the £1,000 from the money left over from the balance transfer to help with this. Barclays is down to £2,000 and loan to my dad still £7,000.

Total debt: £9,000 so I have finally hit the half way mark!!

I do have aprox £300ish in my bank that I am hoping not to spend and put towards debt, but I will try calm down a bit and not transfer it on the 15th...i'll wait until about the 17th

Lets hope I don't live to regret a month of no spending!! People do it for years/don't have a choice, so I need to man up and get on with it, it is only 4 weeks!! xxx
    Last edited by reality_check; 15-06-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    25/01/2016 £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 15th Jun 17, 11:20 AM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    reality_check
    Also, does anyone know should I close down my virgin card? I never use it (lost the card lol) the credit limit is £8,000 but I do have a Barclays one with £8,500 limit...

I never know what is best, high available credit with low credit card use?! Or is having too much available bad??
    25/01/2016 £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 15th Jun 17, 11:21 AM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    reality_check
    omg sorry I never saw this!! one second will copy and paste mine -

Bio
    My name is Monica and I am a single mum. I love reading books. I just cannot put them down. I love finding out about characters, what drives them and what happens next. I completely lose myself in books once my boy is in bed sleeping.

Not much but this is what I wrote - and books I love reading I selecteddxx
    Originally posted by monz
    Thanks for that! I will update mine soon xxx
    25/01/2016 £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 16th Jun 17, 12:24 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    reality_check
    Using a phone to update on this is annoying (might just be me!). I made another £100 payment to Barclays so my debt can move into the (high) £8,000's!! Now all that is left to do is resist duty free....xx
    25/01/2016 £18,675.63
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 21st Jun 17, 8:28 AM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    reality_check
    Not spending money is pretty easy in this heat...all I want to do is come home from work and strip off!! I LOVE the heat, but on holiday, not when you actually have to do normal things like go to work or when 32 weeks pregnant and the size of a whale!! Only 7 weeks to go!!! I get these weekly emails with progress and they give you ridiculous food references to the size of your baby. So far, we have had a poppy seed, a kidney bean, an apple, corn on the cob, last week was saying it was as heavy as a coconut and this week is as long as a bit of kale!

Nothing much else to update my diary with. My task for today is to switch energy providers!! x x
    25/01/2016 £18,675.63
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,401Posts Today

8,625Users online

Martin's Twitter