Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 25th Jan 16, 3:39 PM
    • 598Posts
    • 1,108Thanks
    reality_check
    Reality Check...
    • 25th Jan 16, 3:39 PM
    Reality Check... 25th Jan 16 at 3:39 PM
    I need to start writing this diary while I have the motivation to do so! I have been a lurker for a while and reading all the diaries inspire me and I always think "I wish I could sort out my debt" well....today is the day!

I have buried my head in the sand for too long and it really is time to get a reality check!

I have done a quick total of my current debt and it is as follows:

Credit cards: £9817.86 of a possible £13300
    Overdraft: £1857.77 of a possible £2500
    Student loan: £11600.85
    Loan from family memeber: £7000
    Mortgage: £68213.30

Total: £98489.78!!

Credit cards and overdrafts are my main priororty, student loan is automatically deducted from my wages and family loan doens't need paid back ASAP, but would rather get that paid sooner rather than later.

I live with my daughter and 2 dogs, I will list my incomings and outgoings later today....I have tried to cut back to the bare essentials, but a lot of my recent debt has come from renovating my house and generally living beyond my means and going a bit OTT at christmas!

I am hoping this diary will help hold me accountable for my spendings and get me on the right path to living debt free!!

Fingers crossed!! xxx
Page 33
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 8th May 17, 9:15 PM
    • 3,960 Posts
    • 20,978 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    I have posted on reality's diary before so she knows my style of writing - I am blunt and straight to the point.

I actually thought my post was quite supportive in that reality should not set her aims too high as then she does overspend whereas the months when she allows herself spending money she spends this and does not use the credit card.

I do actually love reality - she is fab. She tells it like it is and doesn't try to hide her spending on her credit card!!

Boo to the changing of the wedding date - Brighton in the height of summer will be a nightmare - have they said why they are changing the date?
    On the plus side baby can have a lovely outfit to wear!!
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 4 for July
    NSD - 11/16
    (up to 21/7/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 14th May 17, 2:36 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    reality_check
    "Why wait" - that's the reason. I suppose everything can't be put on hold because I am having a baby

Pay away day has finally came again!! Well payslips are in and will be paid tomorrow, so I have been doing all this months budgets. I had a look at this months credit card statement and it looked VERY much like my old statements (not that I looked at them really!) full of transactions galore. This month there will be no skin care splurges, no more fake plants and no more non essential baby things!!

I have even left the credit card with my mum and told her to keep it and don't give me it back!!

I have went (just) under the £10,000 mark!! I did actually do this in Feb but then built it back up again!! I feel a pattern happened last year with the borrow Peter to pay Paul so debt either increased or at best remained the same and took me until this point in the year to start being realistic/serious about paying it off. I need a few good months under my belt before August so the time has come again.

Debt is as follows:

Loan to my Dad: £7,000
    Barclays: £1,000
    Virgin: £1,975

Total: £9,975

April was £11,324,95 and I counted up my unaccounted spends and I added £938.00 to my debt this month!!! But thankfully with my quarterly bonus and backdated pay I have managed to reduce my debt by £1350.95, so I'm happy but this can't go on, especially with maternity pay coming into play soon so can't be depending on commission.

I am off to Portugal for 5 days and have gave myself £350 spending money, I also have £150 'pocket money' so yes £500 is a lot of money to spend on myself when I am in 10k debt but like EE says, when I don't have this money I feel too hard done by and just start putting thing on the card again. I have already spent £37.50 on fake tan!! Which is crazy because my tried and tested £6.99 one that I love from Superdrug is the best I have tried, but I was sucked in with the promise of if you apply it for 3 days in a row it lasts 2-3 weeks.... http://www.spacenk.com/uk/en_GB/brands/v/vita-liberata/phenomenal-2---3-week-tan-lotion---medium-UK200014968.html?cm_mmc=Google+UK-_-F3D+-+UK%7CEN%7CDSN%7CN%7CGoogle+Shopping+-+Brands-_-All+Products-_-%7Bproductgroup%7D&gclid=CK_l3dC_79MCFYW37QodYFcEd w

We have a food budget of £200.00 for the month which isn't a lot, but we have about 2 weeks worth of various fish and mince. It must just be how I am feeling right now but after the rubber chicken incident last weekend and this week I bought chicken and it was off!! I am really put off chicken and craving fish/vegetarian dishes, and since I cook and do the shopping everyone else can like it or lump it!

Fingers crossed for a cheap and cheerful May-June!! xxx
    Last edited by reality_check; 14-05-2017 at 2:42 PM.
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 15th May 17, 9:15 AM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    reality_check
    Monday morning again...it is helped that the weather is raining and miserable, makes being here more bareable. Today should be the first no spend day of many....I am aiming for a no spend Monday to Friday.

I have a few targets until next pay day, these have been on my mental to do list for months so hopefully this month I can get them out the way!!

To try make extra money -

* See if I cas get anything back for 2 old mobile phones
    * Scan all old dvds/cds and upload onto Music Magpie - not many but anything is better than nothing and they are currently never watched and never will be again so may aswell get gone!!
    * x4 rolls of wallpaper, bought for £40 a roll so will see if I can get something back
    * Have a good look through clothes and see if I can put anything up on local selling sites/Ebay - not expecting much, but you never know
    * SWITCH ENERGY PROVIDERS!!!!
    * Phone Amazon about that ON GOING complaint I made last year

I am going to try hard to check in daily on this to keep on the straight and narrow.

Have a nice day if anyone sees this xx
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 16th May 17, 3:17 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    reality_check
    Spent £1 out the change in my purse for a raffle ticket in work.

I also spent £15.50 yesterday in home bargains but that was on a load of bleach, wipes, bathroom and kitchen spray that will last for the month and came out the food budget, so counting yesterday as a no spend day, but today doesn't qualify.

Nothing much else to update on xx
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 17th May 17, 10:14 AM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    reality_check
    Spent £11 on 2 chicken kebabs last night – shouldn’t have, but done now. Took £5.50 from food budget and £5.50 from my pocket money fund. Was really nice and just what I fancied so don’t regret it even though it was an unnecessary spend.

No spends planned for today, meeting my friend at the park with the dogs and her kids to go a walk after work so that will be nice for a catch up, it’s free and a bit of exercise! xx
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 18th May 17, 12:08 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    reality_check
    Done a meal plan and don't need to get any shopping this week, so that is £50 saved so have paid it onto Barclays, bringing the total down to £950!!

Today will be a no spend day, have left my purse at home so don't actually have a choice which is good xx
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 20th May 17, 12:30 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    reality_check
    Spent £20 last night on a Nandos for me and my daughter, we went shopping, she spent, I never.

That fake tan I bought the other day is $h!t. I might try and complain as it is meant to last 2-3 weeks mine has lasted 2-3 days and was a hassle putting it on for 3 days! I will send them an email and see what they say.

Going on a little date night tonight, not sure what we are doing, have been told to wait and see. Spent today visiting my mum and dad and took the dog a big long walk. Now ready to go blitz this house, change all the beddings, wash the windows and the general kitchen and bathroom deep clean, have delegated out the hoovering. I spend half my life cleaning!!

Have a good weekend everyone xxx
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 22nd May 17, 8:31 AM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    reality_check
    My Virgin bill has went from £31.00 a month (I just have phone and internet and was on a deal where you pay £1 for a tv package) to £46.48!!

I called them and they said I am in contract until mid August, if he was to apply any discounts it wouldn't be as good as they could do in August...all he done was gave me a £30 credit.

Should I wait until August or change providers?! There is no cancellation fee, I asked about what happens if I cancel how long can I wait to take out new cover and he said my address would be blacklisted from them for either 6 or 12 months I can't remember...but if I was to move, then that's different...so thinking of saying I am moving and taking it out in OH's name?! I know it's not very honest, but it seems honesty and loyalty doesn't pay!! Annoying!! xx
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 22nd May 17, 8:33 AM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    reality_check
    Just worked out the % increase!! I am def cancelling, made my own mind up, will call at lunch and let them know I am moving out!
    Last edited by reality_check; 22-05-2017 at 8:37 AM.
    • monz
    • By monz 22nd May 17, 11:46 AM
    • 2,578 Posts
    • 6,780 Thanks
    monz
    good luck!!!zz
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016)
    Florida: 15th July 2017 save for spending $2,370 exchanged pre election: June to July savings after election £350/500
    house deposit £5,506.25/10,000
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 22nd May 17, 3:02 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    reality_check
    Phoned Virgin to cancel and they couldn't care less, I thought they would try attempt to make me stay haha - oh well cya later Virgin, hello Sky with a topcashback offer!

Have done a meal plan and this week, and I think we can get away with £20 for veg, some fruit (apples, oranges and bananas, no fancy berries etc) and have enough meat/fish in the freezer – will go to Aldi.

Topped up my petrol last night, £35 so that will do me all week and only a 4 day week in work as put a holiday in for Friday.

This week I budgeted £50 for food, so £30 save and petrol was £40 so £5 save, and I have added £5 from my pocket money and £5 from the teeny tiny buffer of money left in the bank and made another £50 payment to Barclays, so down to £900!!

I have been SO tempted to order a new hoover. I follow all these obsessive cleaners on instagram lol and they keep going on about a Shark hoover, the website has great offers with roughly £100 off plus I have a 10% discount….normally I would have had the credit card out and put it on it! Bizarrely I refuse to put things on my overdraft as I know I pay a monthly fee when I go into it, and because I don’t have the card I can’t buy it. Had I had the card I am about 99% sure it would have been put on it. And the main thing I need to remember is I spent £350 on a Dyson in November 2015, it has a 5 year guarantee, I DO NOT NEED another hoover!! Plus all these bloggers get sent it for free and paid to say how great it is, so just need to keep telling myself this!
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 22nd May 17, 3:06 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    reality_check
    Debt is as follows:

Loan to my Dad: £7,000
    Barclays: £900.00

Total: £9,875

Have also had bonus confirmed for the month and I will be able to pay at least £1000 to my debt next month, I feel like I am on a roll!! Not ruining these pay offs by adding to my debt during the month so the £1000 off soon becomes only £400 after all my extra purchases etc. I need to relax with the over payments so I don't run out!!
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 25th May 17, 8:11 AM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    reality_check
    Of course everything was going too smoothly this month, my boiler has died!! It is making such an awful rattling sound, fires up for about 30 seconds then stops. Hot water still working, but no heating. It is one of the very few last things needed in my house, other than new front door and paint the outside, so I'm not bothering with fixing it, have spent enough the past 4 years, going to bite the bullet and get a new one. Obviously I have no money for this, so going to have to do a money tranfer from Barlcays. After today I am off until Tuesday, so hoping to get some quotes over the next few days xx
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 30th May 17, 3:04 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    reality_check
    New boiler is going in today, with a powerflush, and a magnaclean = £1100, I wasn't sure how much it would be or how long a money transfer would be over the bank holiday weekend, so took out £2000...I have also spent £206 on the hoover I was adamant I didn't need, but I am so glad I bought it! I hoovered my carpet with my Dyson - both carpet and hoover are less than 18 months old, the carpet looked clean, had hoover lines etc...then I used the Shark and oh my goodness, a ball of hair/dust/dirt came off it!!! I have hoovered everywhere within an inch of its life, even my artificial grass looks brand new!! I am converted and never going back!! I saw someone on fb say they used their dyson first and then shark and they too had loads come up - it is amazing!!

Anyway, back to money....

My sister gave me £150/£300 she owes me and is giving me £150 back next month, and my work gave me £60 for my birthday, so that has helped.

I have rounded my balance on Barclays to £3,000, I could cry that it was £900 last week!!! I have £950 in my bank right now, I don't know if I should pay it back or keep it as a real emergency fund....it cost me £38 to take the money transfer in fees, I know I should have only taken £1000 now and paid £19.00. but now wondering should I keep this in an account seperate....hmmm xxx
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 30th May 17, 3:18 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    reality_check
    Infact change of plan, just as I have wrote that, I will use the £950 and try top it up to £1000 before pay day and use it to start paying my Dad back. Worst case scenario I can borrow back from there with no fees - decision made, I feel better!

After work going to list that wallpaper on Facebook to help make £50!!
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 30th May 17, 3:29 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    reality_check
    This is mostly for my own reference to look back on -

Debt is as follows:

Loan to my Dad: £6050
    Barclays: £3000

Total: £11,025

But a new boiler was needed, and was going to happen sooner or later, so at least it didn't happen bang in the middle of winter, especially with a baby!!
    • RebeccaAnney
    • By RebeccaAnney 31st May 17, 11:04 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    RebeccaAnney
    It is frustrating when these things pop up Reality but like you say better now than in the middle of winter with the little one! How much longer until your new arrival? x
    LBM 07/03/17 CC Debt - (£7472.87) £6369.70 | Catalogue - (£708.27) £0 | OD - £2350 | Car Loan - (£4348.38) £3592.14
    TOTAL (£14,879.52) £12,311.84
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 1st Jun 17, 8:16 AM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    reality_check
    Yeah, I know...just need to try see the positives lol baby is due on 11th August!! Not long to go really I started reading your diary yesterday will finish it off today, I can relate to it all!

Virgin called me last night and offered me the same package for £22.50!!! Can you believe it, you have to actually committ to cancelling and then they call you back, much less than the £48 I am paying that apparently they could do nothing about!! So called Sky and cancelled and sticking with them.

I posted the wallpaper and had people fighting over it in minutes lol wish I had listed it for more, but still it is £50 more than I had yesterday! Lady is coming on Friday to pick it up, so can get it paid into the bank and into my £1000 for my Dad.

Spent £30 on food yesterday, £45 on petrol and £12 on my eyebrows so a spendy day but all in budget. Girl doing my eyebrows smelled so nice and when she told me her petrol I was nearly on my way to Boots, but luckily the time I got back in the car I couldn't be bothered, but not good that tireness won rather than determination not to increase my debt!!

Today should be a low spend day, brought breakfast and lunch to work and going home after work, but do need to pop into Lidl to get some chicken.

Off to have some breakfast xx
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 2nd Jun 17, 11:38 AM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    reality_check
    What a long week for a 4 day week!! I have been so so tired this week, but thank goddness it's Friday!!

Last night I deep cleaned, zoflora'd and bleached (3 bottles worth!!) everything in site so going to go home and do nothing else other than empty the dishwasher and put a washing on. My marine has been away all week but is home today so as soon as I get home I am having a shower, putting my pyjamas on, ordering an Indian takeaway and not getting off the couch all night!!

OH will probably get takeaway, I spent £2 on 2 turns on a football card in work but hoping that's my spending done for the day! xx
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 2nd Jun 17, 11:42 AM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    reality_check
    p.s I have just read a great book the past 2 days, couldn't put it down. Is called 'Behind Closed Doors' about the perfect husband and wife, well that's what they protray, but behind closed doors it is not what it seems.

This is what the back of the book says...

Everyone knows a couple like Jack and Grace: he has looks and wealth, she has charm and elegance. You'd like to get to know Grace better. But it's difficult, because you realize Jack and Grace are never apart. Some might call this true love.

Picture this: a dinner party at their perfect home, the conversation and wine flowing. They appear to be in their element while entertaining. And Grace's friends are eager to reciprocate with lunch the following week. Grace wants to go, but knows she never will. Her friends call—so why doesn't Grace ever answer the phone? And how can she cook such elaborate meals but remain so slim?

And why are there bars on one of the bedroom windows?

The perfect marriage? Or the perfect lie?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,643Posts Today

6,568Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin