Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 25th Jan 16, 3:39 PM
    • 467Posts
    • 769Thanks
    reality_check
    Reality Check...
    • 25th Jan 16, 3:39 PM
    Reality Check... 25th Jan 16 at 3:39 PM
    I need to start writing this diary while I have the motivation to do so! I have been a lurker for a while and reading all the diaries inspire me and I always think "I wish I could sort out my debt" well....today is the day!

I have buried my head in the sand for too long and it really is time to get a reality check!

I have done a quick total of my current debt and it is as follows:

Credit cards: £9817.86 of a possible £13300
    Overdraft: £1857.77 of a possible £2500
    Student loan: £11600.85
    Loan from family memeber: £7000
    Mortgage: £68213.30

Total: £98489.78!!

Credit cards and overdrafts are my main priororty, student loan is automatically deducted from my wages and family loan doens't need paid back ASAP, but would rather get that paid sooner rather than later.

I live with my daughter and 2 dogs, I will list my incomings and outgoings later today....I have tried to cut back to the bare essentials, but a lot of my recent debt has come from renovating my house and generally living beyond my means and going a bit OTT at christmas!

I am hoping this diary will help hold me accountable for my spendings and get me on the right path to living debt free!!

Fingers crossed!! xxx
Page 31
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 6th Apr 17, 11:33 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    reality_check
    Also, how could I forget I had to put £300 for my car insurance and £14 to update my driving licence which was 2 years out of date!! I only noticed because I switched companies and they wanted a company of my licence and no claims discount. Well I knew it needed done, but clearly forgot the multiple reminders I have had!

I have also finally accepted to listen to the MSE experts and not just wing it myself and think I know what I'm doing, so, I am making saving pots!!

I need to budget for my car insurance, MOT, car tax and home insurance.

12 months of £25.00 for my car = £300
    12 months of £25.00 for my MOT = £300
    12 months of £12.50 for my car tax = £150
    12 months of £12.50 for my home insurance = £150

BUT....only my car is on the 12 month plan as everything else due at different times.

Until the new 12 months start of each one my plan is -

£37.50 a month for home ins which is due in August
    £18.75 for car tax, due in December
    £75 for my MOT due in August

and then they will start their 12 month saving plans when they start afresh. I can't depend on my commission anymore!!

I am also going to start a £100 a month saving for an emergency fund.

So my debt is now taking the scenic route, I will still have budgets that i'll stick to, but I am going to make sure I have the above budgeted for as they are inevitable and an emergency fund is essential.

That's enough of my updates for one day, off to "work" aka look at baby furniture xxx
    • Tjh1412
    • By Tjh1412 9th Apr 17, 7:32 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    Tjh1412
    Congrats on the little one
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 10th Apr 17, 10:05 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    reality_check
    Thanks Tjh

Not a very money saving weekend, bought a few baby essentials AKA a full nursery!! We also had a look at some prams - I knew they were pricey, but not that much!!

Spent £35 on an indian takeaway which was for me, OH, my friend and her husband. I could have cooked but was rushing about and too tired/lazy after being out all day.

I also had to buy an iron...mine has been on the road out for a while but it has finally died!! It was £180 down from £230. I know you can get irons for £20 but my last one lasted me about 7 years, I iron everything including 3 lots of king size bedding at least once, sometimes twice a week so needs to be powerful or would drive me up the wall.

New week, and new budgets....have £20 for shopping to last until Thursday, should be do-able, only need milk, fruit and some chicken.

xxx
    • Coveredinbees!!!!
    • By Coveredinbees!!!! 10th Apr 17, 10:14 AM
    • 3,142 Posts
    • 1,950 Thanks
    Coveredinbees!!!!
    you can get 2nd hand pram/ travel systems for next to nothing as everyone wants new. Ours did everything, pushchair, car seat, carry cot, it cost £100s and sold for a tenner on ebay

• reality_check
    • By reality_check 12th Apr 17, 8:40 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    reality_check
    I know coveredinbees, I am going to have a look at my sisters pram this weekend when she gets it out the loft. She spent an absolute fortune on it, but it was really only used for a few months of taking kids a 5 minute walk to and from school and then winter came and she used the car, and hardly ever went out walks always by car so it really should be brand new bascially. Need to see what condition it is, I can imagine she just threw it up without a care. My sister has 3 boys and 3 year old is her youngest so has a lot of stuff to give me instead of buying new so will def be taking advantange there.

My mum and dad are getting their house decrorated right now and living with me. Was meant to be for 2-3 days, tomorrow is day 7!!! They are driving me up the wall!! They are so messy and leave a trail of destruction behind them. There is no room at the inn, we are all on top of each other, if I had a massive big fancy house, ideally with an annex, I would love to move them in, but I couldn't cope with this full time.

A new Aldi has opened next to me, I've been so excited for this as only been in a few times for a few things...I am so disapointed!! I am not impressed at all. Does anyone have anything they would recommend?! I think I will be sticking with Lidl and Sainsburys.

Can't wait to get paid on Friday, new month, new budgets, new plans xxx
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 12th Apr 17, 8:47 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    reality_check
    I also think I need a new car, which isn't ideal when paying off debt!! I currently have a little convertible MINI, so it is hardly baby friendly!! At a push the pram could go into the back seat of my car, but I'm just thinking what a palava that would be.

Last night I watched 5 star babies, with babies born in the Portland hospital in London. The average cost is about £18,000 to give birth and a room for 3 nights, but ranged from that to £250,000!! Crazy!!
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 13th Apr 17, 9:47 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    reality_check
    I have been paid early!! Quite a bad wage as I didn't earn commission last month, but better get used to that!!

I think I am going to hold off the debt payment for now, make minimum payments with everything on 0% and put everything into savings that I DO NOT SPEND UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!!

Need to do some number crunching and see what I can save for month 1....

xxx
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 13th Apr 17, 7:13 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    reality_check
    I have put £600 away to save for this month. Will wait and see how things are looking after direct debits come off and how things are going. Sorted out food and petrol budgets.

I am planning on doing free activities this month. Walks, friends over, popping over to friends etc, would like a good start to month 1!

I am going to try my hardest to remember to log in here every day and record my spendings for each day to try get back on track with not spending money!!

£5 on eyebrow thread today. £6 saved, didn't leave £1 tip and didn't get them tinted. I love the tint, but it lasts a week then other 3 weeks I fill them in and look the same, so just going to need to do it every day.

We all had chilli burritos with salad for dinner tonight - cheap, cheerful and delicious. Only thing missing was a nice ice cold bottle of tequila beer!!

xxx
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 15th Apr 17, 9:38 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    reality_check
    Updating my daily spends is going well....didn't even remember to do day 1!!

Good news is I have not spend a penny the last 2 days!!!

Off to watch a film with a cup of tea and lovely scones with jam and fresh clotted cream that my mum's friend made. Always risky updating this at home, although my debt isn't a secret to close family and that I want to pay it off, this diary is still a dirty little secret.

Happy Easter weekend xxx
    • louby40
    • By louby40 17th Apr 17, 9:21 AM
    • 854 Posts
    • 2,218 Thanks
    louby40
    Wow! I've dipped in and out of your diary, lurked but rarely posted. Just wanted to say congratulations on the baby news! How exciting. When are you due?

P.S Does eyebrow threading hurt? Random question I know but thinking about getting it done.
    Parents£885 Debt Free July 2017 Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572 Debt free by Xmas 2017 #32 £2545/£3442
    Car loan £4218. Mortgage £98,160
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 17th Apr 17, 12:57 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    reality_check
    Thanks I am so excited! Due 11th August, be here before we know it! Threading is worse than waxing, depends who does it. I have had it done a few times and been fine but mostly it hurts lol nothing extreme but not as plain sailing as waxing!

I had another NSD yesterday and on track for another one today. I have been slightly cheating, yesterday when my sister was coming for lunch she asked if I needed anything from the shops and I told her I needed peppers as need for tonights dinner and told my daughter to bring in bread last night for bacon sandwiches this morning, so my new plan is spend everyone else's money and keep my own!

Have had such a lazy bank holiday but it has been needed. Friday was spent cleaning and organising my mum and dads house after the decorators have been and getting them back home. I stayed there for dinner and my dad ordered chinese so not a penny was spent! Saturday we went a massive walk, I even made us some sandwiches and bottles of water to avoid spending and temptation, then I cleaned the entire house top to bottom now my house guests have finally left, made dinner and watched a few films. Yesterday I had all my family over for lunch 10 adults and 3 kids!! Easters in the past I would have went to the butchers and bought a pricey leg of lamb with all the trimmings and numerous M&S deserts, this year we had shepherd's pie and a creme egg for desert! In the evening we went to marines mum and dads for a family games night and was so much fun, playing games like charades and 'Who Am I' - just shows the old school games that don't cost a penny are sometimes the best. I was on diet coke that my sister brought over yesterday in the little glass bottles...how much better does it taste than out a can/plastic bottle?! I would like to buy more, but def not budget friendly for now!!

So far today I have just managed to shower after a morning spent watching Eastenders from the week that I missed whilst eating bacon sandwiches, an entire easter egg along with the bag of mini eggs it came with!! I would love to blame it on it either being Easter or that I am pregnant, but it all honesty I could have easily done this any time before. Whist I done this, the other half of me RAN TO THE GYM, obviously done some form of work out there and ran back...who does that?! Aswell as a "light jog" at 7am with the dog!

We are now popping round to one of my marines friends that I have never met before to meet their new baby and puppy - could you get a better combination of the 2 best things in life?! And how crazy they must be for getting both at once, but was just the timing of this particular breeder that they wanted to go withs dog having puppies...however I don't think I would be so brave!

Need to make some soup/pasta later for work this week as I plan on leaving my bank card at home so I don't want to starve.

Right I better finish putting my make up on and get going before we are any later than we already are! xxx
    • monz
    • By monz 18th Apr 17, 11:56 AM
    • 2,377 Posts
    • 5,228 Thanks
    monz
    You sound so positive in posts love seeing this xx
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016)
    Florida: 15th July 2017 save for spending £1,018 $30 (RBS Rewards £12.40)
    house deposit £5,400.09/10,000 (owe £90)
    Xmas 2017 - 133/365 No.35
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 19th Apr 17, 8:43 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    reality_check
    Aww thanks Monz, think I am still on cloud 9!

I forgot my breakfast and lunch yesterday in work!! We get free fruit in work so I just had that for breakfast and used water machine, but was starving come lunch and spent £2.30 on soup and a baked potato and beans.

Today also won't be a NSD because we need toilet paper and some fruit - but this is coming out the food budget.

When I bought perfume recently I got a free mascara and gave it to my daughter who claimed she loved it! Yesterday she came in with a full size one for her and me...I told her to let me try it today first to see if I liked it, £36.00 - no thanks! Was not impressed at all, and as if that's another expensive thing I need to be getting into! I'll give her it back and tell her to return the unopened one, don't want to sound ungrateful, but I wouldn't use it and just be a waste. She won't mind!

I am so tired today, went to bed after 1!! We are addicted to the show 'Stranger Things' at the moment and can't stop watching, only have a few to go. Also started watching 'Line of Duty' - I love it!!

Roll on hometime already!! Fajitas for dinner (all I needed was chicken and sour cream which has been delegated out to Mr Marine to buy...spending other peoples money is the way forward!!) and will watch Pretty Littler Liars with my daughter tonight, we love it!! Final 10 episdoes. I must sound like a right TV slob right now

There is a rumour that our quartley bonus (which is tiny and you see nothing of after tax) has been miscalculated and we might be getting it backdated next month along with some backdated pay increase that hasn't been applied properly....but will need to wait and see, fingers crossed as my May pay is looking pitiful with being off and no commission! xxx
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 19th Apr 17, 1:54 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    reality_check
    Don’t worry DJ I have private dental insurance with my work so at least I have that area of my life budgeted for x
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 20th Apr 17, 8:12 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    reality_check
    Good plans don't always happen. Ended up having to go to the shop and spent £16.44 in Morrisons on stuff for dinner as my delgation didn't work out and I was lured in with washing capusle deals and cleaning stuff deals that I use but probably didn't need this month. I don't know why I always get lured in as the reality is somwhere will have the exact same "deal" on when I do need it.

Anyway, it gets worse....after going to the shops I was (easily) convinced to get a takeaway so we had an indian takeaway that cost £19.00. Oh well, done now, but will make the food budget a lot tighter. I am thinking of cutting up/leaving Barclay card at my parents. I done well, not that I couldn't, when I didn't have it, when I gave it to my Dad that time time before. I am back to buying impulse purchases/not sticking to budgets as using it as a stop gap until pay day. Infact, that's it, decision made, tonight after work the card is off to live with my Mum and Dad!!

Today won't be a no spend day as I am spending £10 joining a yoga class and after tonight it is £6 per time. I will probably only go once a week and it can come out the pocket money budget. Other than that no spending, breakfast and lunch is with me and tongiht we will have fajitas instead.

Have a good day anyone who reads this xxx
    • monz
    • By monz 20th Apr 17, 9:37 AM
    • 2,377 Posts
    • 5,228 Thanks
    monz
    Oh let me know how yoga goes xx
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 20th Apr 17, 10:53 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    reality_check
    I will

Also had a chat with my marine about bills etc now we live together.... He has only officially been here a few months and I have continued paying the mortgage, bills etc with food probably 50/50 and he pays for mostly anything that we do.

But....obviously we have a baby on the way, living together need to make some changes. My house is worth about £270,000 - I am basing this on a recent sale in my street, but in my opinion my house is in much better condition with the entire place recently redurbished with a new bathroom and kitchen so would probably go for more, but this is the bottom line I would say. I only have a £65,000 mortgage left. I also own my parents home that I bought for them from the council 5 years ago and is worth about £135,000 right now and owned outright. I don't have a great pension, so relied on these.

He owns 2 buy to let properties and is about to my another and has good savings - the benefits of being in the marines/living at home and not being stupid with money and having no living expenses really.

Soooo, I think we are going to put everything into joint names and create a joint bank account. I did consider remortgaging to cover my debt but I am going to keep this seperate as will be a bit of self satisfication knowing I have paid it off/changed my spending ways. He did offer to give me the money to pay everything off, but I declined, but don't know how this works with joint accounts?! I think I will suggest budgets to stick to until everything is paid off?! So although I will try pay debt he can have a high disposable income, even though it will probably go on things that I will benefit from?! How confusing!!

He does earn a good bit more than me with a mix of wages and rental income and has a fantastic pension, but I have more equity. With my ex husband we put everything into a joint account even though again he earned more than me, I just don't like the yours and mine when everything else in life is shared....

Done some research on this board and think I am going against everything advised, but it is all so complicated and confusing!!
    Last edited by reality_check; 20-04-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    • monz
    • By monz 20th Apr 17, 11:45 AM
    • 2,377 Posts
    • 5,228 Thanks
    monz
    Ahh keep in your name and protect yourself. I mean no disrespect to him just be careful xx
    • louby40
    • By louby40 20th Apr 17, 12:44 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 2,218 Thanks
    louby40
    Yes be very careful. I came out of a relationship at the end of 2013. We had a joint mortgage but I put £100k into the house purchase, he put nothing. We pooled our money as we both earned similar amounts. Thankfully I ringfenced my money so he couldn't touch it.

When we split (we were together 6 years) he was awful, he tried to get more money off me, the house wouldn't sell so I had to get lodgers in after he stopped paying the mortgage. He found out and demanded money. He threatened to stop the sale. I eventually gave him£2k but he was a total bast**d. He met someone 3 weeks after we split and is marrying her next month (3rd marriage) thank god I didn't marry him.

I will NEVER be financially linked to a man again. My house is mine and that's how it's staying.

Seek legal advice, I know it's not romantic but I really would urge to get everything in writing.
    Parents£885 Debt Free July 2017 Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572 Debt free by Xmas 2017 #32 £2545/£3442
    Car loan £4218. Mortgage £98,160
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 20th Apr 17, 1:54 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    reality_check
    Aww really Louby, how awful!!

Maybe I do have rose tinted glasses on right now...

Another option was buying a property together, but....I love that I have a low mortgage not sure I want to start paying high mortgage payments on a big house that we don't really need....I love my house!

Both the houses he has were his grandparents and Dad's ex council so he too was in a position to buy them cheap and now owened outright and worth about £200,000 in total...so it does seem pretty even....the new one will just be a standard buy to let with a 25% deposit.

Maybe we should go see solicotors to protect ourselves... I just don't think it is romantic or a good way to start a relationship, but I could end up in a bad position. Trying to think what would I tell a friend to do.....but I really don't kno what my answer would be!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,725Posts Today

8,652Users online

Martin's Twitter