Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 25th Jan 16, 3:39 PM
    • 377Posts
    • 612Thanks
    reality_check
    Reality Check...
    • 25th Jan 16, 3:39 PM
    Reality Check... 25th Jan 16 at 3:39 PM
    I need to start writing this diary while I have the motivation to do so! I have been a lurker for a while and reading all the diaries inspire me and I always think "I wish I could sort out my debt" well....today is the day!

I have buried my head in the sand for too long and it really is time to get a reality check!

I have done a quick total of my current debt and it is as follows:

Credit cards: £9817.86 of a possible £13300
    Overdraft: £1857.77 of a possible £2500
    Student loan: £11600.85
    Loan from family memeber: £7000
    Mortgage: £68213.30

Total: £98489.78!!

Credit cards and overdrafts are my main priororty, student loan is automatically deducted from my wages and family loan doens't need paid back ASAP, but would rather get that paid sooner rather than later.

I live with my daughter and 2 dogs, I will list my incomings and outgoings later today....I have tried to cut back to the bare essentials, but a lot of my recent debt has come from renovating my house and generally living beyond my means and going a bit OTT at christmas!

I am hoping this diary will help hold me accountable for my spendings and get me on the right path to living debt free!!

Fingers crossed!! xxx
Page 24
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 10th Oct 16, 7:55 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    I can not describe the feeling i felt reading your post. I don't think I would be so restrained if I was you. I actually have tingles in my body as soon as I read jo malone I think I knew what was coming. The horror.

But yes you cant blame him, to us its jo malone enough said. To him its a radox!
    Debt at June 2016 £14,600
    2017 pay off loan and first credit card
    Have less debt and be happier
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 11th Oct 16, 12:05 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,716 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    You pay £50 for a bottle of bubble bath? Goodness gracious me, I don't know what to think about that... Very different lifestyle we are living.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • monz
    • By monz 11th Oct 16, 9:28 AM
    • 1,925 Posts
    • 4,053 Thanks
    monz
    oh my £50!! Mines are from pound shop or if they are on deal two for a pound lol....x
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016)
    Florida 2017 saving £2,598.93 (shd be £2,778.93/£180 short)
    Gym 0/15 Dec
    house deposit £3,500/10,000
    Xmas 2017 - 0/365 No.35
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 11th Oct 16, 2:14 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    reality_check
    I normally get it as birthday, Christmas, Mothers Day gift etc. I know it might seem pricey but I would appreciate that one bottle as a gift as oppose to multiple gifts of the same value. I may have toned down how I reacted on this PSL, I was going a bit crazy at the time

My no spend days are coming to an end, I'm working late today and I know for a fact I need chocolate! Going to pop into Lidl and get something, other than that I have came to work with breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Nothing much else to update on, just a boring Tuesday xx
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 11th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    On track for another no spend day, brought everything I need with me to work so won’t be buying anything here and don’t need to buy anything from shops. Last night I went to my friends, came home, opened the front door and my house was smelling amazing. I knew the smell right away… Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir. I went charging up the stairs my DS was running himself a bath and had tipped about a quarter, if not more, of the bottle in!!! When I use the oil I am so tight and add 1 or 2 capfuls since that’s all that’s needed plus costs over £50 a bottle. He couldn’t believe I was shouting over some bubble bath…I was probably a bit over the top, but still!! Told me he would buy me some more, until he found out the price!! Offered me his bath but I told him to enjoy his £20 bath!! I am over it now….just! But just thought I would let out some steam on here!! !!
    Originally posted by reality_check
    Well at leat he didn't bathe the dog in it!

I love Jo Malone ( that could be the reason I got into debt!). But I'm like you now - put it on my pressie list!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Scrimpy Goal - Emergency Fund - £10,000
    Currently: £6027.22 (25/11/2016)

My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"

NST: December 2016- NSDs: 1/15
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 12th Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    reality_check
    I think I would have rather the dog to have been bathed in it, I'd have got the benefit of him smelling lovely!!

Yesterday put an end to my no spend days. Put £1.00 on my card in work and bought a Twirl was too busy to make it to Lidl. I then spent £8.55 in M&S...tin of shortbread half price at £4.50, box of half price chocolate biscuits at £3.50, 25p on a reduced cookie and 30p on reduced watermelon. My dad is going away for a week to play golf and my mum is coming to live with me - even though there is no room at the inn!! so got some nice biscuits for her coming, and she's been losing weight recently so these will help me beef her up...just hope I keep away from them!!

After work I went to my mums to help pack a bag of stuff to bring to mine we never left until just after 10 and still hadn't ate dinner. My daughter then convinced me to go to Mcdonalds so that was another £9.18 I think it came to.

I had been doing so well and now I am overdrawn by -£18.59 but have transferred over £20 from the money I have aside for my dad to avoid any overdraft charges.

Hoping for a £2 spend day today as I wasn't organised for lunch and will need to buy some soup. I have defrosted mince so going to make burgers, have seeded burger buns in freezer for my mum, DS and DD, if I can resist the bun...and will serve with salad and some wedges to use up the potatoes.

Pay day is on Saturday - can't wait!! Don't really have many plans coming up, going to get my nails done for the first time in so long, I need a new moisturiser and going to have a look through winter clothes and hopefully be reminded I have plenty as really tempted by all the new stuff in shops/online xx
    Last edited by reality_check; 12-10-2016 at 9:15 AM.
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 13th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    reality_check
    Pay slips are in!! I have been paid a little extra since we recieved the backdated holiday pay this month. I have my direct debit of £100 coming off Barclays and £100 to Virgin, and I should be able to pay £1500 this month to the loan I owe my Dad

I am hoping I will be able to pay back £1500, it will mean using up as much food as I can from home and keep trying to make food go further with plenty veg, lentils in cooking, being organised for lunches in work etc. I have also gave myself pocket money so aslong as no disasters come in my way it should be fine. I may need to take back £100 but I am hoping I can do it with it out.

As of today, my debt is as follows:

Barclay card 1: £300
    Barclay card 2: £3100
    Santander: £1800
    Virgin: £2500
    Loan: £4500

Total debt: £12,200

It is coming down slowly but surely!!
    Last edited by reality_check; 13-10-2016 at 12:16 PM.
    • monz
    • By monz 13th Oct 16, 2:36 PM
    • 1,925 Posts
    • 4,053 Thanks
    monz
    well done x
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016)
    Florida 2017 saving £2,598.93 (shd be £2,778.93/£180 short)
    Gym 0/15 Dec
    house deposit £3,500/10,000
    Xmas 2017 - 0/365 No.35
    • roomontheend
    • By roomontheend 13th Oct 16, 3:00 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    roomontheend
    Sorry I haven’t caught up in a while but I started a new job and I am just getting the hang of organising fulltime work with budgeting, food planning and life in general. The post is for a teaching assistant rather than a teacher so about half the pay. However no marking and preparation so happy days.Walk in do the job and walk out.It’s being a long time since I had a job that you didn’t have to do at home.
    We fell into the overdraft about a fortnight ago which we haven’t been in for about 18 months. This was due to me not having any wages coming in since the beginning of July.However despite this we managed to get though the majority of the summer without it.It will take a month or two to get back in the black but I get paid every week (but not for the holidays, half term etc.) so that will help.All the minimum payments will be made till we catch up.
    I would really like to be one month ahead on money and payments instead of waiting till the end of the month to get wages and then pay for the next month bills out of that.
    Glad to hear you had a good time away.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 832 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    Total debt feb 2012 = £54354.11
    Paid = £22641.01 Current = £31713.10
    Paid = £32464.73 Current = £21889.38
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Oct 16, 8:56 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Great news on the loan repayment. Your food budgeting is exclellent as well.

• reality_check
    • By reality_check 14th Oct 16, 1:25 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    reality_check
    Thanks Monz...paying off debt on pay day feels so much better than my previous life pay day splurges at the shops every pay weekend!!

Congratulations ROTE on the new job!! You done amazing keeping out the overdraft all the time when you were used to both wages and down to one. Be good to try pretend you don't get a wage and still to to survive on one?! I know that's not probably realstic though lol. I demoted myself in my current job a few years ago - best move I ever made. No thanks for my old job, working from home, staying late and it was salaried so no overtime for any of that. I am actually better off financially as have the potential to earn and do earn more than before. The only downside is can't really promote and work my way up, but I had no interest in doing that anyway. I hope you enjoy the new job! And I am so jealous of all your holidays!!

Thanks Seaside, I am getting there. I used to spend so much on food shopping by going daily and making whatever anyone wanted and buying loads of convenience food. I am that person who paid double for all the bags of pre chopped veg, little pots of fruit, jars of pasta sauce etc. I also used to waste a lot as quite often decided fancied a takeaway or a meal out and very rarely brought any food to work with me. Things like my mortgage and council tax I can't vary that each month to help save, it's a set amount! Food shopping is something so in our control so trying to cut costs and make savings!

My mum is here and driving me up the wall!!! I know she isn't too well but she is so demanding!! She was commenting on all the unbraded things I had in my fridge/cupboards! She is very big brand loyal and the first to say she doesn't like own brands/Lidl etc even though she hasn't tried them!! I was thinking about what I am brand loyal to and very few things! I now buy Lidl only or supermarkets own brands/basics.

Fairy liquid I have tried to change by ending up using so much more it really isn't a saving. I am also loyal to Warburtons bread, nothing is as good as the orange packet one I find. Washing powder is another I like Fairy for my bedding and also like Daz, Surf, Lenor and Comfort...don't really mind what ones and like to keep mixing it up to smell new smells. Normally buy on offer or in home bargains. I also can buy other brands but prefer Robinsons squash.

Biggest surprises I've found is Lidl baked beans and ketchup taste no difference to Heinz, same with their mayo and also tins of tomatoes and passata are great. Nikki toilet roll from Home Bargains or Farmfoods is as good as Andrex and it's 9 rolls for £2. Lidl own brand dishwasher tablets are great!! And value pasta tastes no different to the old brand Dececco that I bought. I don't drink much fizxzy but Lidl freeway diet coke tastes just like coca cola diet coke in my opinion. Thought i'd make a list incase anyone buys any other expensive brands and fancies a swap to save some ££££ xxx
    Last edited by reality_check; 14-10-2016 at 1:33 PM.
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 14th Oct 16, 1:39 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    reality_check
    Ohh and not to mention by new found love of coconut oil!! The best make up remover out there and leaves my skin so soft and in the best condition it's been in for years!!
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 15th Oct 16, 11:09 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    reality_check
    Yesterday was a no spend day, I am getting good at them. Nearly ordered a takeaway but after doing all my housework and cleaning it was getting late so I opted for some soup, toast, bath and bed. I might order one tonight, will see what we fancy. It used to be a given that we had a takeaway every Friday, and either another on Saturday or out for dinner.

My mum wants to go to M&S to have a look at the clothes so that's my afternoon and think my sister and her kids are coming over later this afternoon. I also need to get some shopping in, the fridge is lookng bare but freezer and cupboards still jam packed! Won't be a big shop but we do need a few things in.

Happy weekend everyone xx
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 15th Oct 16, 9:52 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Ohh and not to mention by new found love of coconut oil!! The best make up remover out there and leaves my skin so soft and in the best condition it's been in for years!!
    Originally posted by reality_check
    That sounds really interesting. What make do you use? I use make up wipes to get my make up off and then a cleansing liquid from Simple or Boots as I have a combination skin and like to feel that my face has been washed. Do you think coconut oil would be any good for me?

• roomontheend
    • By roomontheend 16th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    roomontheend
    I use aldi coconut oil it's £2.99 and organic so a great buy. You really need to read this it's eye opening . https://www.google.co.uk/amp/wellnessmama.com/5734/coconut-oil/amp/?client=safari
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 832 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    Total debt feb 2012 = £54354.11
    Paid = £22641.01 Current = £31713.10
    Paid = £32464.73 Current = £21889.38
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Oct 16, 10:12 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thanks ROTE - I'll have a look!

• reality_check
    • By reality_check 21st Oct 16, 3:03 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    reality_check
    I'm back, went a bit AWOL this week. My mum is back in hospital so my week has consisted of work and hospital visits. My house is a tip and I am loaded with the cold. Money saving has went out the window, have been so unorganised, bought coffess and lunches in work, had 2 takeaways and went out for dinner. I feel and look disgusting and I am sure my body is crying out for water, fruit and veg with exercise back into my system!!

I have my friends 40th tomorrow night that I can not be bothered going to, but need to. Need to get my eyebrows done either tonight or tomorrow and get some fake tan on and find something to wear - from what I have, nothing new. All I want to do is sit at home in my pyjamas and watch sctrictly with a bottle of wine!! Still don't have a present or any plans to get one.... I refuse to go to shops on a Saturday so will probably just buy a nice card and bottle of champagne. I know it's not very thoughtful, but she's not a close friend so it is good enough.

Seaside the coconut oil I use is from Home Bargains and it's £3.99, I swear by it now so should give it a go. It's not very good before you apply make up as slides off, but great for taking it off. Liz Earl Cleanse and Polish is good and realtively cheap for the quality, I would def avoid face wipes.

Will be glad to finish work and get home. I am going home, bath, fake tan, pyjamas on and ordering an indian followed by plenty chocolate and wine. Healthy eating starts Sunday...........maybe Monday!!

Happy weekend everyone x
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 22nd Oct 16, 10:56 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I'm sorry to hear about your mum. I hope things improve for her.

You sound like you're having a stressful time - hope things pick up and you feel better and get back into your routine.

Re party, I would have stayed in with the wine and Strictly - funnily enough I have!

I'm going to have to try the coconut oil once I get through my current cleaning products. Some friends use Liz Earle and have good things to say about it. DD uses Eve Lom but that's far too pricey for me now!

• reality_check
    • By reality_check 23rd Oct 16, 11:13 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    reality_check
    I don't think they got on top of the infection the last time and just sent her home anyway, probably needed the bed - typical NHS! I've tried Eve Lom in the past, it is lovely but out my budget for now too!

Last night was actually good and not as bad as I told myself it would be. A good catch up with people I don't see that often and one too many drinks. Woke up surprisingly fresh and was in the park with the dog before 9 blowing away any cobwebs.

Went to Lidl for some fruit and veg and some chicken. Making some 'Jewish Penicillin' AKA chicken soup with the lovely little matzo balls. I still have this never ending cold, but this soup can cure most things!! I always make it when anyone is ill and it never fails to make them a little bit better. Half way through cleaning, stopped for a cup of tea then just got hoovering, beds to strip and some ironing. After this will be going to the hospital this afternoon and home to get the roast on, have a bath and an evening in front of the TV. I will be so glad to sit down in a clean house with nothing to do. DD is going to the hospital tonight so can have a night off. My sister is in London so at least she is back tonight and can take her turn and then my dad is back too.

Only working Monday to Wednesday this week as Friday is the shift someone is covering for me when I done the Saturday for them and I just threw in an extra day on Thursday to make it more of a break - can't wait!! Going to spend it giving everywhere a good deep clean - kitchen cupboards, sort out wardrobes, drawers etc, touch up some paint and get ready for winter/Christmas!! I probably clean way too much, but I actually enjoy it!

Better go get on with stuff xx
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 23rd Oct 16, 9:40 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Wow! What a whirlwind you are!

Please give recipe for the chicken soup. I feel as though I could do with some at the moment!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

700Posts Today

4,249Users online

Martin's Twitter