Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Atirez
    • By Atirez 24th Jan 16, 10:46 AM
    • 24Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Atirez
    Trying to buy with Redrow
    • 24th Jan 16, 10:46 AM
    Trying to buy with Redrow 24th Jan 16 at 10:46 AM
    Hi all, I am a first time buyer but I am having an horrendous experience at the moment with Redrow. I was just wondering if this is normal and if anyone can give any help/advice with handling them as I progress through the process.

To give you a little background. We are trying to buy a property which is only a plot and has not even begun development. The problems started with the sales staff telling us we could put our names on a list for properties and we would be contacted. This list is bad. One minute we are told we have every chance, the next that we have no chance. Eventually however after being told the list was a queue we recieved an email and promptly responded. After this we were told that recieving the email does not improve our chances and lots of people had responded. Now we have been given the option to do the Early Bird deposit, because we answered before other people who were before us in the list. This up and down, back and forth has been happening for around a month. The sales staff do not have a clue and everyone you talk to has different ideas about how the lists work.

Anyway, awesome! We thought. We now have a house we want.

Next. During the process we were informed the last house of that type was sold a few months ago for 255k. Other houses some a little larger are now being sold for 291 and 295 and some a little smaller for a bit less. We were told the expected price would be around 260k, which sits the house correctly in there houses. Now, we happily go in with our reservation money and get told the guide price on the house is an astonishing 295k! 15% more than the other house in less than a year and while they are selling houses which are much larger for a similar price as of today. I am shell shocked - how?

Sorry for the long introduction but I am wondering:

The new massive and based on current prices on there development over priced guide. Is this in peoples experience what they are actually going to try and get us to pay? Or in a couple of months when we get to the reservation stage are they going to come back with a more realistic price?

If the price they come back with in reservation stage is really high what, if any, chance do I have to get them down?

Or do I have to go through the process of paying for the valuation and other fees before this can happen. As what scares me here is that they will continue to say it may not be that pay x and we will talk about it. Then a few grand down the road I am in the same position.

What are peoples experiences of the reservation process and guide prices on Redrow homes?

we have also been told that they like to have everything sorted our 42 days after reservation which is still before the house is built. This includes us handing over the deposit! Is this standard?

In fact if anyone has any experience of buying a new home and can help me understand what I can do and what to expect that would be greatly appreciated.

This whole experience so far has been a roller coaster and I have not even started talking to solicitors yet...

Thanks in advance.
Page 3
    • Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 24th Jan 16, 7:04 PM
    • 17,977 Posts
    • 22,263 Thanks
    Poppy9
    Yeh I guess you could if the older houses actually were solidly built, had bigger rooms and larger plots.

However, with some older houses, you could also be resolving damp issues, spending extra on heating it, repairing it, altering it to how people like to live in their spaces today, and so on and so on.

Also, with some new (very new) developments, it can often be the case that there aren't any for sale, as everyone who has bought is staying put. So, if you want a property on a particular estate / location, you simply have to pay for it.
    Originally posted by makeitstop
    From experience - we were looking to downsize so went to look at some new builds (not much land here in decent areas, plenty with great motorway access) - they were on a plot so small from every window I saw a wall or a window. Garden to small for anything more than a table and chair but not sure why you would want to sit out if you are living on top of a motorway. Plus a garage I don't think my car would have got in.

Then quality of build. I have a couple of relatives and work with quite a few who have gone new build route. One was flooded out of her home for 6 months due to faulty plumbing, yes covered by builder but they had to move out for 6 months. Then 2 years later after a storm it was found that the roofs were not safe even though they had been complaining (they as in them an neighbours) that roof tiles kept falling off. So they had to have their roofs made safe. When I visit a few family/friends in new builds they apologise their loo doesn't work and direct you one that is working! Plumbing seems to be a big issue with builders here! Price is not relative to quality with new builds it seems -C4. A redrow house we were considering 20 years ago as a new build we decided against due to size and space - there was an issue when complete with the pointing of the bricks needing replacement due to faulty mix!

SIL had new build in Northamptonshire. She was in quite a nice part of estate, room to park car etc. but aside from master bedroom the other 3 barely took a double bed. Downstairs loo constantly blocking and some issue with windows. They sold up and bought new again but from a small independent builder on a plot with just 6 houses. Build quality much better.

I've owned two houses - one built 1900. We completely renovated (CH, ceilings, kitchen, bathroom etc) but had an issue with damp in one wall at rear of property. Had a 20 year guarantee on the damp proofing course so they sorted it eventually. Nothing else ever went wrong with it. Solid walls, large rooms, fair size plot but poor parking.

Current house 1950s. On a huge plot backing on to woods with sea view. Council sold us plot of land to rear of our garden so no one can build behind us. Not overlooked in my garden, don't overlook neighbours garden. You do need a sledge hammer to knock down walls and over 20 years we've replaced kitchen & bathroom twice - but we would have done this if we had bought new no doubt.

I do think I live in a poor area for new builds. As a seaside place and quite hilly all the best plots long since built on and what's left is so expensive they pack them in tight or on awkward plots so your garage isn't next to your house. Else you can buy one near a motorway. Fine if you want to commute.

We looked at some new builds to add to BTL. We were looking at 2 bed mid link (or terrace to people born before 1970)! We decided against in the end but I can't get the sales people off my back as I guess the small houses are hard to sell.
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
    • makeitstop
    • By makeitstop 24th Jan 16, 7:45 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    makeitstop
    Interesting post Poppy and a good read.

I have to admit, I can't argue with the fact that many new built houses today do appear to fall short of acceptable standard of work. I think this is mainly due to pressures of time, with developers constantly looking to hit their financial targets and deadlines. When you factor in that virtually all the guys working on new houses are subbies, getting the job done as soon as, often skipping the detail, it makes for a nasty recipe.

I've been there and done that with the renovation thing, and actually enjoy it, although less so now. There is something to be said for knocking your house about and getting to know it intimately. It brings about a kind of connection that I'm not sure a new house can provide, but as yet, I have no experience of new. Will have to wait a month or so before I try that.

I guess it's swings and roundabouts. There are good and not so good for both old and new. For most people, a house has to have some compromises somewhere, it's just a matter of what people's prferences are in respect of those compromises.
    • Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 24th Jan 16, 9:30 PM
    • 17,977 Posts
    • 22,263 Thanks
    Poppy9

I've been there and done that with the renovation thing, and actually enjoy it, although less so now.
    Originally posted by makeitstop
    We don't DIY anymore, we get someone in which is better but the mess!!! I hate renovations but I don't think you can avoid it as styles change. Even with a new build you will start altering layout, replacing kitchen, bathroom etc. and even if the walls are plasterboard, it's still messy and disruptive.

I guess it's swings and roundabouts. There are good and not so good for both old and new. For most people, a house has to have some compromises somewhere, it's just a matter of what people's prferences are in respect of those compromises.
    by makeitstop
    Absolutely and people who buy new or renovated houses think they will not have to do anything and they will have hassle free homeownership but lets face it with any property that's rarely the case.

We have one major job that we've been ready to do for 20 years - replace our back boiler! We nearly changed it when we moved in but it means new pipe work from inside wall to outside wall. We were told by those in the know not to as new boilers only last 10 years and we wouldn't get the money back in cheaper bills So here we are 20 years later with a boiler that was at least 10 years old in 1995 and the money we put one side still in the bank!!!
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
    • Jleemanuel
    • By Jleemanuel 14th Mar 17, 11:31 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jleemanuel
    I'm a bit late to the party but can offer some insite to my very own purchase experience with Redrow.

Me and my partner pruchased a 4 bed detached off plan which sold at 260k. At first the sales staff didn't want to know us because of my buying circumstances. To cut a long story short my brother bought me out of my previous house but the sales staff insisted they wanted to see in writing from our solictor that i'm no longer liable at my previous property which they couldn't really do because the solictor can only send off the forms to remove me from the deeds which takes time. Eventually they did accept our circumstances and we did the early bird and passed all the finance checks. So our experience for us started off a bit sour.

Now keeping an eye on this estate in Rowley Regis, West Midlands we saw the prices increase and increase over time. We were very frustrated we couldn't haggle with the price but at the end of the day we really wanted the house and were prepared to pay. However when the estate was first being built the prices for the 4 bed was around 250k so we paid 10k over however now the 4 beds are going for 270k and will probably contunue to rise. This estate has no problem selling and even with the rise in prices Redrow continue to sell. At the minute they have sold all the released plots.

We have now exchanged contracts and since we have gone through the sales procress their attitude has changed now they know we aren't time wasters! But beside the bad start with Redrow they have gone above and beyond for me and my partner and the service has been great. We move in July and the houses on the estate look well built with high ceilings and wide roads.
    • DB4
    • By DB4 18th May 17, 2:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DB4
    Also a bit late but myself and my partner have exchanged contracts on a property at Rowley grange, due to be completed in July too.

They would not budge at all with the price which is 15K more than they were selling for a matter of months before we reserved. No incentives.

Rowley grange seems to be a popular site!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

1,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin