Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scotdebs
    • By scotdebs 20th Jan 16, 5:40 PM
    • 554Posts
    • 3,075Thanks
    scotdebs
    It's all fun and games until ...........
    • 20th Jan 16, 5:40 PM
    It's all fun and games until ........... 20th Jan 16 at 5:40 PM
    You are faced with the possibility of losing your job Having lost count of the LBMs and diaries started its probably best to start with a quick recap using my guide of How to Get Yourself in Debt

Step 1 - deny deny deny
    The main bulk of our debt was racked up years ago when we were earning ok but not fabulous money - but boy did we live the fabulous life style- dinners out, great holidays, gadgets - basically we denied ourselves nothing- never worried about the debt we had - life was good tomorrow would never come

Step 2 - realisation, panic face the problem
    We moved house massively increasing our mortgage then it suddenly became a bit trickier to meet all the cc repayments so I did the sensible thing ..... Had a baby and went on mat leave for 12 months ( half of which was paid, let's not mention the other half). Then realised we couldn't meet card payments and pay normal bills and basically we were in the poo. This time I did face up to it - cut down on loads of house hold bills, food shopping,started living on a tight budget etc and started being able to make overpayment to some of the debts

Step 3 - sod this it's too hard
    We now had both had decent pay rises which meant that we could services all the debt ok and still live well - and well I could alwaysmake an overpayment next month anyway ........

Follow the above easy steps and you too could find yourself in debt to the tune of £43k

So now faced with a very real prospect of not being in my current job this time next year and the thought of any package I do get going ALL on paying off debt breaks my heart ..... It's time to put on the big girl pants and face this properly paying off as much debt as I can within the next yr which means any package can be a proper buffer till I get another job or go towards something useful - if I'm very lucky and stay in my job then double bonus

My next post will be a shameful listing of all current debts,........
Page 7
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 8th Sep 17, 8:24 PM
    • 536 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Thanks for the info Debs I'll look into it

Brizzled that sounds like a right palaver, and very unfair, how do they get away with it! Surely if enough people complain they'll have to do something about it. Are quidco any better?
    Originally posted by Chrystal
    Quidco are slower at paying out than topcashback i have an account with both.
    Debts 16274.64
    Cashback Earnings YTD £161.47 Survey Earnings YTD £435.18
    • Reb2016
    • By Reb2016 8th Sep 17, 8:51 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    Reb2016
    Hi scotdebs
    Another one here whose started and stopped and started again more than once. You have some great goals, and its sound like you have learnt quite a few things from last time, so I'm sure this time you'll get there. Will be cheering you on.
    Reb
    Light bulb moment 6th June 2017 £13333.63 Debt now 12359.94
    DFD was October 2020 40 months now 31st May 2020 33 months Overdraft £450/£2250
    11/17 NSD September 9/4 in a row
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 10th Sep 17, 11:13 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    Chrystal
    https://www.topcashback.co.uk/GettingStarted

do you use a smartphone chrystal?

the best thing you can do is download the top cashback app on your phone, register for the site then login on the app. When you buy anything online search for the retailer.
    Originally posted by Scott_Weiland
    Thanks for the info Scot
    G,C. Sept. = £121.59/£300 = £178.41
    NSD so far = 9/30
    • scotdebs
    • By scotdebs 11th Sep 17, 3:30 PM
    • 554 Posts
    • 3,075 Thanks
    scotdebs
    oh dear I am in such a dilemma - DC started secondary school 4 weeks ago and it seemed he was settling in really well. However we had tears last night as he said a lots of older kids have been teasing him about his ears. They are very prominent inherited from his dad who had asked his mum when at school if he could get an op to have them pinned back and was told "no they will just find something else to tease you about". When DC was born it was clear early on that his ears would be same and OH said if he every want them done we are doing it as it would have made a world of difference to him when at school. But everything I read says that its impossible to get them done on the NHS which means either temp increase in debt or money that would have gone to debt now has to get saved for this. My heart is breaking for him .....
    CC debt Aug 2017 £48.6K
    Sept GC £128.11/£450
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 11th Sep 17, 4:13 PM
    • 3,650 Posts
    • 3,953 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    So sorry to hear that. It makes me so angry.

They were talking about the state of the NHS on the radio this morning and quite a few people said that they had gone abroad for surgery. It is worth considering as quite a few countries have better facilities than we have and it is much, much cheaper. Lots of countries have realised that that they can attract US and European patients and have really raised their game. You obviously have to do your research thoroughly.
    • Reb2016
    • By Reb2016 12th Sep 17, 10:57 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    Reb2016
    Sorry to hear this scotdebs, children can be very cruel sometimes, I don't think they quite understand the hurt they can cause, I do think things like this should be available on th NHS as it can make such a difference.

Reb
    Light bulb moment 6th June 2017 £13333.63 Debt now 12359.94
    DFD was October 2020 40 months now 31st May 2020 33 months Overdraft £450/£2250
    11/17 NSD September 9/4 in a row
    • scotdebs
    • By scotdebs 13th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 554 Posts
    • 3,075 Thanks
    scotdebs
    Yip its a real shame but to have them done on the NHS he needs to demonstrate he is under severe psychological stress - Im not putting a 12 year through that kind of interrogation. We have a private consultation booked - he is desperate to get it done - bless him before his dad mentioned it i dont think he had even considered it was a possibility. So I will need to start ebaying and cutting the groceries spend like billyo.
    Quiet elsewhere on debt busting waiting for payday and need to update my monthly cashflow spreadsheet to reflect some debt i moved to a 0% card last month
    CC debt Aug 2017 £48.6K
    Sept GC £128.11/£450
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,070Posts Today

4,551Users online

Martin's Twitter