Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • katejo
    • By katejo 19th Jan 16, 7:03 PM
    • 2,810Posts
    • 1,066Thanks
    katejo
    Problem with TSB contactless?
    • 19th Jan 16, 7:03 PM
    Problem with TSB contactless? 19th Jan 16 at 7:03 PM
    I have only had the above card for about 6-8 months. The contactless feature started working intermittently and eventually failed. I requested a new card which arrived yesterday. I tried to use it today but again it failed. I will test it in another place first before contacting TSB again. I really wish that it was possible to talk to a real person instead of getting automated responses. Fortunately it isn't my main bank account so I have alternative cards.

Has anyone else had the same problem please?
Page 7
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 11th Oct 16, 6:00 PM
    • 1,127 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    Robisere
    I don't understand this problem: had my TSB cl card since April and just had one blip. A visit to the atm cured that and I must have made dozens of purchases since.

If this happened to me so regularly I would complain at the branch and online. I would threaten to switch. If enough people with these issues do that, they have to take notice.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• zerog
    • By zerog 11th Oct 16, 7:33 PM
    • 2,210 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    zerog
    Never had a problem with my TSB cards, I mainly use them for TfL spending (until the 5% ends then back to Oyster) and once a month I top up an Oyster with £1 and then refund the Oyster in cash to reset the contactless usage count.

Never had it ask for my PIN when I actually pay for something in a shop, except at Morrisons when I was buying £30 of amazon gift cards, but that was a problem with the card reader.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th Oct 16, 5:13 PM
    • 15,052 Posts
    • 9,392 Thanks
    molerat
    6 transactions over 4 days total £60 without PIN request.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 17th Oct 16, 5:16 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    Used card in shop Saturday contactless, same shop today rejected and to make it worse obstructive assistant refused to let me try my other TSB card saying it has to be the one I started with or it would take 30 seconds to reset, took 31 seconds to tell me that.

As I approach the end of my contactless cashback period my odds of refusal seem to have taken a turn for the worse.

Must be using some odd security algorithms at TSB that other banks can only dream of
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th Oct 16, 7:20 PM
    • 5,840 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Used card in shop Saturday contactless, same shop today rejected and to make it worse obstructive assistant refused to let me try my other TSB card saying it has to be the one I started with or it would take 30 seconds to reset, took 31 seconds to tell me that.

As I approach the end of my contactless cashback period my odds of refusal seem to have taken a turn for the worse.

Must be using some odd security algorithms at TSB that other banks can only dream of
    Originally posted by Yorkshire Pud

I always carry my own card and one for our joint account, so if one asks for the PIN, the other is likely to be fine. Then the first card can be used for a very small purchase, to reset it.

I've never been refused the option of changing card.
    • ScotinLondon
    • By ScotinLondon 25th Oct 16, 11:24 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 3,022 Thanks
    ScotinLondon
    I've beginning to have problems with my TSB contactless - it started off by not being accepted at Aldi (when it used to in the past) and now having problems with Morrisions, again, didn't used to have a problem.

I'm going to be giving TSB a call or via their online chat function to find out what is going on.

It is annoying, as i am not getting my 5%!
    SIL
    NSD J16 23/31; F16 19/29; M16 24/31; A16 24/30; M16 19/31; J16 20/30; J16 20/31; A16 25/31; S16 23/30; O16 24/31; N16 16/30
    GC Mar-Sept £868.45/£1,040; Sept/Oct £129.36/£140; Oct/Nov £99.52/£150.00
    CCC 2016 £40.43/£400
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 25th Oct 16, 5:06 PM
    • 5,840 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I've beginning to have problems with my TSB contactless - it started off by not being accepted at Aldi (when it used to in the past) and now having problems with Morrisions, again, didn't used to have a problem.

I'm going to be giving TSB a call or via their online chat function to find out what is going on.

It is annoying, as i am not getting my 5%!
    SIL
    Originally posted by ScotinLondon

Chip and pin cards sometimes don't work if the contact area is dirty, but in a recent newspaper article on contactless payment, it said that a way to disable contactless is to cut off a corner to break the circuit which runs round the edges. Is there any damage to the edges of your card ?

Another interesting point in the article was that a contactless card kept in a leather purse/ bag or together with a second card, makes it less vulnerable to the usual technology that springs up to rob the system.
    • ScotinLondon
    • By ScotinLondon 25th Oct 16, 5:26 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 3,022 Thanks
    ScotinLondon
    Chip and pin cards sometimes don't work if the contact area is dirty, but in a recent newspaper article on contactless payment, it said that a way to disable contactless is to cut off a corner to break the circuit which runs round the edges. Is there any damage to the edges of your card ?

Another interesting point in the article was that a contactless card kept in a leather purse/ bag or together with a second card, makes it less vulnerable to the usual technology that springs up to rob the system.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    No damage as far as i can see...Its always in my wallet and i then take it out when using it. It is funny, i used at Prets today and the contactless worked...I think that it is hit and miss.

Will have to talk with TSB i think.
    Wierd is all i can say, don't have this problem with FD contactless.
    SIL
    NSD J16 23/31; F16 19/29; M16 24/31; A16 24/30; M16 19/31; J16 20/30; J16 20/31; A16 25/31; S16 23/30; O16 24/31; N16 16/30
    CCC 2016 £40.43/£400
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 25th Oct 16, 8:49 PM
    • 3,193 Posts
    • 34,869 Thanks
    Katiehound
    My contactless cashback is drawing to a close- and my cards seem to be working better! How annoying is that???

I have started withdrawing £10 from the ATM before trying the 3 or 4 transactions needed to reach the £100 and that seems to be working. (And if it doesn't work I shall either cancel the transaction ie if a gift card or put it on the TSB CC which is giving a very small cashback.)

I have quite a clutch of Tesco gift cards now.......
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 2nd Nov 16, 9:03 AM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    bxboards
    I'm still having problems with TSB being rejected for contactless then going to PIN, usually every 2nd or 3rd transaction goes to a PIN request and has done pretty consistently for over 15 months. I've reported this here a few times and have been keeping pretty close tabs on it.

Its got even worse, and I've now had PIN requests for 3 out of the last 4 transactions!

Saturday 29th October - Contactless failed in Screwfix so I put in my PIN
    Tuesday 1st October - Sucessful contactless transaction in Wilko
    Tuesday 1st October - Contactless failed in Screwfix, PIN request again
    Tuesday 1st October - Contactless failed in CoOp, PIN request again

Can't wait for the 5% cashback offer to be over too be honest! The failures were all for under 3 quid, the sucessful one was for 7 quid.

I've used Android Pay for some larger transactions, but paying with a phone is slower and more unwieldy, although that has probably saved me about 3 to 4 pounds in what would have been lost cashback.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 2nd Nov 16, 1:07 PM
    • 3,193 Posts
    • 34,869 Thanks
    Katiehound
    I'm still having problems with TSB being rejected for contactless then going to PIN, usually every 2nd or 3rd transaction goes to a PIN request and has done pretty consistently for over 15 months. I've reported this here a few times and have been keeping pretty close tabs on it.
    Originally posted by bxboards
    I am now using replacement cards! and they seem to be working better

Thank You
    • john1002
    • By john1002 2nd Nov 16, 1:25 PM
    • 766 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    john1002
    Apple Pay is the way to go if you have access to it, only ever had one decline in 10 months and that was down to machine.

John
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 2nd Nov 16, 3:04 PM
    • 5,840 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I am now using replacement cards! and they seem to be working better
    Originally posted by Katiehound
    W
    Were the others damaged in any way ? I ask because a recent article about the security of contactless payments said that you can disable contactless by cutting off a corner and so breaking the continuous circuit set around the edges.
    • ScotinLondon
    • By ScotinLondon 2nd Nov 16, 3:10 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 3,022 Thanks
    ScotinLondon
    I did what another poster recommended - took some cash out and then my contactless worked...not sure why TSB have set theirs up that way, as i don't have a problem with using my FD contactless.

SIL
    CCC 2016 £40.43/£400
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 3rd Nov 16, 10:58 PM
    • 3,193 Posts
    • 34,869 Thanks
    Katiehound
    W
    Were the others damaged in any way ? I ask because a recent article about the security of contactless payments said that you can disable contactless by cutting off a corner and so breaking the continuous circuit set around the edges.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    No they weren't damaged at all. They just seemed to throw a wobbly when I tried to use them contactless! As I said only 2 more months of cashback and they are now working fine! (but both are replacements)

At the start of the month I take out £10 at the ATM and then hopefully I can clock up the £100 spend before it demands chip & pin!

Thank You
    • Over62
    • By Over62 4th Nov 16, 10:38 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Over62
    We have three TSB contactless cards between us and oddly enough, they have been working perfectly for about 3 weeks now. Famous last words ...
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 4th Nov 16, 12:07 PM
    • 5,840 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    teddysmum
    When doing grocery shopping, so likely to be £30 or more (pay the extra in cash) I carry my sole account card and both our cards to the joint account.

First to be tried is my sole account, but if that needs the PIN the chances are that one of the joint cards will be fine. ( I boobed last week though, as I used my joint card first with only £15 left to earn interest and left my sole card with lots to use. I'll be more careful from now on).
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 5th Nov 16, 8:47 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    Yet another contactless refusal from TSB, really annoying.

Whereas my Co-op card gets refused very occasionally TSB promote contactless cashback whilst setting their algorithms to reject on an above average number of occasions.

One thing for sure. I won't be using TSB either contactless or at all after December.
    Last edited by Yorkshire Pud; 06-11-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

275Posts Today

1,339Users online

Martin's Twitter